• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do games make you feel motion sickness?

PaulBizkit

I'm playing Tomb Raider 2013 and the camera movement and its shakiness make me feel awful after an hour. I had this issue once with Modern Warfare but it wasn't that terrible.

But now, it's like, every rotation movement from the camera hits the back of my head.

Have any of you had this problem with this game? or maybe with others?

Dark Souls 3 did on PS4. The game drops under 30fps pretty often (especially in multiplayer), but it's at its worst in the Grand Archives. It'd get so bad that the game would start to have slowdown akin to SNES-era games, but in a completely unpredictable manner. The unexpected speed changes made me pretty dizzy and I'd end up with a headache after a while.

MrBenchmark

Dark Souls 3 did on PS4. The game drops under 30fps pretty often (especially in multiplayer), but it's at its worst in the Grand Archives. It'd get so bad that the game would start to have slowdown akin to SNES-era games, but in a completely unpredictable manner. The unexpected speed changes made me pretty dizzy and I'd end up with a headache after a while.
Just played that on my X all those drops were gone thank god.

camaropilot

Just curious, how big of a screen are you playing on? I find that I am susceptible to motion sickness if the screen is too big or I'm sitting too close. I think its because I have to actually move my head to look at the edges/corners while playing.

MrBenchmark

Just curious, how big of a screen are you playing on? I find that I am susceptible to motion sickness if the screen is too big or I'm sitting too close. I think its because I have to actually move my head to look at the edges/corners while playing.
Mines a 55 4k and I'm always 10 feet back.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Red Faction (original) gave me hardcore motion sickness, the FOV was way too narrow. I might be able to survive it if I try again, or I could try a mod to fix it.
Pretty sure I had another, but I can't remember. Usually when I need a bad visual effect fixed, I quit and dig into an .ini or .cfg file.

F-Zero X on N64. First time it made me sick cuz of 3d tracks moving. Took awhile for me to get use to it.

Now, I haven't had one since then.

Rigs on PSVR caused me to have massive motion sickness. First person games also cause me to have some motion sickness when I don't play them for a long time.

Norse

Not if I'm the one controlling the game. If I watch others play fps games I can get motion sickness. I get I'll if I read in a moving car as well.

Not if I'm the one controlling the game. If I watch others play fps games I can get motion sickness. I get I'll if I read in a moving car as well.

I dont get motion sickness, with one exception. Rashids stage in SFV (where players fight on top of a jet, while it flies around the city), can make me a bit queezy if Im watching a match, rather than participating in it.

Wonko_C

Quake Champions' default 130 FOV made me want to lie on my bed for 2 hours. I put it at 75 and the problem is gone.

Heath V

I'm playing Tomb Raider 2013 and the camera movement and its shakiness make me feel awful after an hour. I had this issue once with Modern Warfare but it wasn't that terrible.

But now, it's like, every rotation movement from the camera hits the back of my head.

Yes, it started back in the day with Turok the dinosaur Hunter and now the last game to really give me motion sickness was Mad Max for the Xbox One.

I was getting so sick when he would go into the interior environments that I had to uninstall and sell the game. I refused to finish it.

Certain PlayStation VR games made me very nauseous too.

t_wilson01

Playing Ecco the Dolphin on Sega Genesis was the first time I felt motion sickness with a game. Normally, fast paced first person shooters will do it.

fordian

Neo Member
Yeah, happens pretty often

I game like 3 feet in front of a big ass 42" screen though so that's probably why

laxu

I've had it happen with FPS games. Seems to be related to either how the screen moves or the field of view. Playing some FOV 60 games on a desktop monitor has made me feel motion sickness because it's like playing with binoculars on. Thankfully FOV is adjustable in most PC games nowadays.

I remember getting motion sickness from Half-Life 2 back in the day. Something about the smoothness of motion in that game.

Meh3D

I motion sickness issues with this game. I get it after 15-20 minutes. For me, it's the FPS games that give it to me bad. I find that certain games I get it worse than others. I can play Halo 5 find for about 45 minutes. In Crysis 2 I can barely make it out of the intro map, I get it really bad in that one. On the other hand, games like Overwatch I have no issues.

Vitacat

I'm very thankful that I don't have motion sickness. I know people who do suffer from it, and it sucks that they can't enjoy some games as easily as I can. Seems like frame rate and FOV increases can help sometimes.

GreatGreen

Neo Member
Motion sickness happens due to two things:

1. An FoV that doesn't give your eyes what your brain is expecting to see. Play a console shooter up close on a desktop monitor and it's like trying to walk down a street with binoculars strapped to your head. You'll puke before you know it.

2. A camera which, during character movement, the focus-point deviates from the same spot infinitely far away. A lot of devs will try to make cameras look "cinematic" by programming them to seem as if they're being carried by some klutz who can't keep it focused on anything. Developers: please stop this. It's awful. Feel free to make the camera shake around as much as you want as long as the screen's middle-pixel stays locked on the same point infinitely far away. In other words, make that infinitely far-away pixel the pivot point on which the camera rotates. If the virtual camera rotates on a pivot point located inside the virtual camera, you're going to make people puke.

Many FPSs made me motion-sick:
Rise of the Triad
Unreal Tournament
Half Life
BioShock

Others I had no problems with:
Quake
Quake III Arena
GoldenEye
FarCry

Oddly while Half Life made me sick for some reason its mod Counter Strike never did.

Don't know how it is with modern FPSs because I just stopped playing them.

Shifty

I do in VR under some circumstances, but that's something of a given for the medium.

With traditional games, not often. When it does happen, low FOV is often the cause.

You might have a tumah.

Cmon mang dun joke about that

edge2

Neo Member
Never felt motion sickness while playing FPS games in the past till recently when I started to play Splatoon 2. I never really played games with motion control before and my brain just couldn't handle it. I was also sitting right in front of the big TV in the living room.
Fortunately I did not take too long until my brain adapted and now I'm in for 320h and can easily play for hours without the slightest sign of motion sickness.

My wife is a whole different level. She can't even watch my son playing Minecraft on the TV without getting sick after a view minutes.

Lemonte

Something about WoW in big cities with very low fps made me feel sick back in TBC.

oh and tried half-life blueshift for the first time couple years ago and that made me feel awful. I have played all mainline HL games when they were new and none of them made me feel sick.

JustCheeze

Neo Member
Very recently, Wolfenstein 2. Not sure what exactly it is, but it's the combination of the game's aesthetics, the design and maybe also the voice overs, made me sick. And yes I was playing on the PC with maxed out FOV too.

Wulfram

Tomb Raider 2013 did it for me too. I stuck it in a window so it wasn't taking up all of the screen, which helped.

Saints Row 2 without a fan patch was horrible.

Elite: Dangerous without flight assist. Though that's probably in a large part because I suck at it.

Beegeous

Not motion sick, however the large drop into the Gorgon Labyrinth in Destiny's Vault of Glass raid gave me that rollercoaster feeling.

Pretty much any first person perspective game with lots of up and down bobbing motion when moving. Alien Isolation hits me bad. Can't play for more than 10-15 minutes. Corridor shooters are bad in particular but halo has always been easier on my senses. Movement is silky smooth. Team fortress has always made me feel I'll though.

Wonko_C

1. An FoV that doesn't give your eyes what your brain is expecting to see. Play a console shooter up close on a desktop monitor and it's like trying to walk down a street with binoculars strapped to your head. You'll puke before you know it.

Isn't too high a FOV an issue too? Like in my earlier post I mentioned Quake Champions because in that game it's like you're in fish-eye view, just moving a little is nauseating.

Also Destiny 2 max FOV looks like fish-eye too, (think that is 105) I can feel my eyes trying to cross outward.

Ganondolf

only 1 game in 30+ years has done this which was Lego City Undercover on Wii U.

Even though I was enjoying the game I had to stop playing it.

tkscz

Lol they weren't good games in the first place aside from maybe mp goldeneye

You are allowed to have your opinion, even if it's wrong.

But I still to this day can't play the Spyro the Dragon games on the PS1. Still make me sick when I use the dash attack.

royox

I get a bit of motion sickness while playing starfighters on Battlefront 2 and SWToR because there's free fighter rotation and my head ALWAYS tries to find an "up and down" even when the battle is in space. I solve this by going full tunnel vision while chasing a target or while being chased but the moment I'm free to fly for objectives there we go.

JP

Isn't too high a FOV an issue too? Like in my earlier post I mentioned Quake Champions because in that game it's like you're in fish-eye view, just moving a little is nauseating.
It certainly does for me.

I only play on console but the way I deal with it is by opening the FoV to maximum then testing it and reducing it until it's at maximum FoV that is comfortable for me.

Fbh

Thankfully no.

I do know a few people that get motion sick from Half Life 2. And the friend I'm playing dying lights with has also had some issues with that game

Top Bottom