• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Does RE 0 get better after the train? I'm running into the same damn problem that I did before: I get halfway through the train, start losing steam, and then when I go to load up the game... I just think "Why not just play REmake or try RE 2/3 again if I want classic RE"? The backtracking just kills the game for me. Don't get me wrong: It's gorgeous even 14 years later, the atmosphere is great, the sound design is solid... but that backtracking.

Yeah, it does. The train is the worst part of the game imo. The rest is uninspired but fairly solid classic RE that's gimped by the whack inventory system. The train is babby mode RE tutorial that goes on too long and has way too many doors too close together. It has a dope climax to that section, though. The game is for sure worth playing through at least once imo, even if it's my least favorite of the series.

0oTCpGL.gif

Jawmuncher

Comic-Con Resident Evil News Maybe?

Friday July 21, 7:00-8:00pm Room 25ABC – Resident Evil: Vendetta
The Resident Evil franchise returns with the action-packed third installment in the state-of-the-art CG animated series, Resident Evil: Vendetta. Featuring a never-before-seen, behind-the-scenes look at the highly anticipated movie, fans will be treated to insider information from iconic Japanese filmmaker Takashi Shimizu (The Grudge), director Takanori Tsujimoto, and the cast. In addition, fans of the Resident Evil video game will get a chance to hear about the history of one of the bestselling video game franchises of all time from Capcom’s Hiroyuki Kobayashi, who has produced several of the series’ most popular games.

Saturday July 22, 2:00-3:00pm Room 25ABC – World of Capcom
Moderator Tim Turi hosts a panel filled with Capcom team members to present the company's latest and greatest video games. Capcom has been creating popular games for over three decades, and this panel is the place for fans of all ages to check out the new games they can look forward to. Be sure to pay close attention to every exciting detail – the panel concludes with a fun trivia quiz for an array of awesome Capcom prizes.

derFeef

Goddamn I am so behind, I still have not finished REVII (stopped after garage fight).
I want to play REmake the most tho at the moment. Currently playing TEW and really liking it - I would welcome a classic (or REV style) RE game :p

Ralemont

not me
Yeah, it does. The train is the worst part of the game imo. The rest is uninspired but fairly solid classic RE that's gimped by the whack inventory system. The train is babby mode RE tutorial that goes on too long and has way too many doors too close together. It has a dope climax to that section, though. The game is for sure worth playing through at least once imo, even if it's my least favorite of the series.

Eh I gotta disagree, I think the train is the only worthwhile part of RE0. It's at least something unique, instead of throwing us another mansion wannabee section.

Eh I gotta disagree, I think the train is the only worthwhile part of RE0. It's at least something unique, instead of throwing us another mansion wannabee section.

The setting is novel and the backgrounds are some of the best in the series once it stars moving, but the level design, progression, and boss fight are just so, so dull.

The training facility is kind of a rehash but at least it stops holding your hand. The leech man is a pretty great and stressful enemy too. Bandersnatch done right.

Mr_Zombie

The setting is novel and the backgrounds are some of the best in the series once it stars moving, but the level design, progression, and boss fight are just so, so dull.

Was that the worst boss fight in the entire series? While, yes, yes it was.
Stand in one point and shoot the scorpion whenever he comes near you and reveals its head. 100% no-damage guarantee.

Ralemont

not me
The train as a setting is cool. But the small amount of movement and constant back tracking hurt it imo

Yeah but at least the backtracking is short. The rest of the game has bigger zones and because of the crappy inventory system you could have crap strewn everywhere.

Stand in one point and shoot the scorpion whenever he comes near you and reveals its head. 100% no-damage guarantee.

It's probably the dullest but the bat from Zero is worse as are several from Code Veronica since not only are they not fun to play but are broken in a way that gives the player a huge disadvantage

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Man I just got RE Vendetta on bluray. It's like if you put all the data from the resident evil works and simulated a project. It's like automated RE. Except for the fight choreography.

Mmmmmm... Vendetta's action.

HeavenlyCreepyCatfish.gif

da8a5cd543f3e329d87deff6d4505df7.gif

tumblr_op0q6pjSNl1s6ub5do7_400.gif

tumblr_op0q6pjSNl1s6ub5do2_400.gif

tumblr_oilgvl6xSv1s6ub5do3_500.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

5922053-img_7059.gif

Also, Rebecca's characterization in the movie was damn good.

Needs to be a fourth movie, preferably not taking five years to appear.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Just a heads-up, but don't expect Not A Hero DLC until the end of the year. It seems like Not A Hero may release around or even at the same time as the final piece of RE7 DLC for the season pass.

I think the delay for NaH to improve it is for the best though, again the reason it was delayed is because Capcom had originally outsourced the Not a Hero DLC and wasn't happy with what they got back so they're reworking it themselves.

---

On another topic, did you know yesterday and now today is the date when Resident Evil 7 happens? Like the in-universe time RE7 happens is July 19th/20th in 2017. So right as I'm posting this should be the time when Ethan is on the boat, and when it begins to get morning is when the final stuff in the game happens.

Impressive they're putting in so much work for a free DLC. It must have been really shitty.

I had a fear it would be like the end of RE7 just extended. Going through the boring mine environment just blasting the same molded enemies we fought through the whole base game except like twice as many at once.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Just a heads-up, but don't expect Not A Hero DLC until the end of the year. It seems like Not A Hero may release around or even at the same time as the final piece of RE7 DLC for the season pass.

I think the delay for NaH to improve it is for the best though, again the reason it was delayed is because Capcom had originally outsourced the Not a Hero DLC and wasn't happy with what they got back so they're reworking it themselves.

---

On another topic, did you know yesterday and now today is the date when Resident Evil 7 happens? Like the in-universe time RE7 happens is July 19th/20th in 2017. So right as I'm posting this should be the time when Ethan is on the boat, and when it begins to get morning is when the final stuff in the game happens.

Any word on the story DLC that is part of the Season Pass?

Dusk Golem

Impressive they're putting in so much work for a free DLC. It must have been really shitty.

I had a fear it would be like the end of RE7 just extended. Going through the boring mine environment just blasting the same molded enemies we fought through the whole base game except like twice as many at once.

For what it's worth, there's a surprising lot of new stuff in it. You're not wrong that's it's basically Resident Evil 7's true ending as it literally takes place right after RE7 ended, but there's a lot of new stuff including enemies that weren't in the original game as I've mentioned a few months ago. There might even be more new stuff now since they're re-implementing it.

Like okay, I don't know how much they've changed since the revision, but there were some absolutely shitty things in the original including these turrets you couldn't destroy, there was a period before they activated you could see them there but couldn't take them out, and once activated you still couldn't do anything even though they were these shitty looking turrets Lucas had whipped up out of misc stuff, but they were invulnerable for some reason. There's a lot of other things but I'll only say that much since I think the turrets were mentioned in the datamining stuff.

One thing I will say is the DLC is the action one of the two, the final DLC of the season pass is horror focused, and they may be up'ing the horror of the Not a Hero DLC since RE7's good response in their revised version they're doing (though I hear there were a couple good horror moments in the original anyways), but without trying to say too much in the original Not A Hero DLC before the rework you could literally punch enemies with Chris, I doubt they'll get rid of that in the revision either. I know there was an Umbrella Points system you used to upgrade yourself they completely got rid of for the revision, and in the original you could only heal by injecting yourself with steroids which I bet they changed. I normally wouldn't say this much, but I'm like 100% sure the things I all just mentioned have been removed and changed for the revised version they're working on currently and there was a pretty big leak from datamining a few months ago even if it didn't include all the details, but a lot of this was mentioned. I'll just say some things in the data mine, like the Umbrella Point system, were removed.

Any word on the story DLC that is part of the Season Pass?

I'm not saying anymore than I previously said, releasing towards the end of 2017, the director of it was a guy who was a lead designer on P.T., it has a horror focus and is set in a completely new location that wasn't in RE7.

For what it's worth, there's a surprising lot of new stuff in it. You're not wrong that's it's basically Resident Evil 7's true ending as it literally takes place right after RE7 ended, but there's a lot of new stuff including enemies that weren't in the original game as I've mentioned a few months ago. There might even be more new stuff now since they're re-implementing it.

Like okay, I don't know how much they've changed since the revision, but there were some absolutely shitty things in the original including these turrets you couldn't destroy, there was a period before they activated you could see them there but couldn't take them out, and once activated you still couldn't do anything even though they were these shitty looking turrets Lucas had whipped up out of misc stuff, but they were invulnerable for some reason. There's a lot of other things but I'll only say that much since I think the turrets were mentioned in the datamining stuff.

One thing I will say is the DLC is the action one of the two, the final DLC of the season pass is horror focused, and they may be up'ing the horror of the Not a Hero DLC since RE7's good response (though I hear there were a couple good horror moments in the original anyways), but without trying to say too much in the original Not A Hero DLC before the rework you could literally punch enemies with Chris, I doubt they'll get rid of that in the revision either. I know there was an Umbrella Points system you used to upgrade yourself they completely got rid of for the revision, and in the original you could only heal by injecting yourself with steroids which I bet they changed. I normally wouldn't say this much, but I'm like 100% sure the things I all just mentioned have bee removed and changed for the revised version they're working on currently.

lol at the turrets good lord. Well, I'm glad there will be new stuff, and it wouldn't be Chris if I couldn't punch things in the face. Definitely looking forward to the paid DLC more though. Kinda cool we'll get them at the same time for one last big dose of RE7.

One thing I will say is the DLC is the action one of the two, the final DLC of the season pass is horror focused, and they may be up'ing the horror of the Not a Hero DLC since RE7's good response in their revised version they're doing (though I hear there were a couple good horror moments in the original anyways), but without trying to say too much in the original Not A Hero DLC before the rework you could literally punch enemies with Chris, I doubt they'll get rid of that in the revision either. I know there was an Umbrella Points system you used to upgrade yourself they completely got rid of for the revision, and in the original you could only heal by injecting yourself with steroids which I bet they changed. I normally wouldn't say this much, but I'm like 100% sure the things I all just mentioned have been removed and changed for the revised version they're working on currently and there was a pretty big leak from datamining a few months ago even if it didn't include all the details, but a lot of this was mentioned. I'll just say some things in the data mine, like the Umbrella Point system, were removed.

I'm not saying anymore than I previously said, releasing towards the end of 2017, the director of it was a guy who was a lead designer on P.T., it has a horror focus and is set in a completely new location that wasn't in RE7.

Man, Capcom can't catch a break with outsourcing.

Horror? Chris Redfield? In The Same Sentence?

Fn1bln.gif

F7VibW.gif

4313902-resident+evil+6+-+chris+redfield+wing+chun+elbow+style.gif

tumblr_nz2bdilMPa1rheorao1_400.gif

tumblr_odnkty0ru91thcic4o2_r1_250.gif

10ovj4q8xhim769iueihfu1p.gif

tumblr_mb9a8bxO0L1rdagfgo1_500.gif

Only problem is: If you're in his squad your ass is grass.

Mr_Zombie

Well, when you look hard enough, you can spot little Umbrella's logos on those big tubes. But that's it. I haven't noticed them until the second fight.

Yeah, after the fantastic RE stage with Lickers in MvC3, this one is a huge disappointment. :/

Jawmuncher

So ignoring that disappointing stage, I wonder if capcom will elaborate more on the side characters in RE2make. Like giving ada and hunk more meat to the story

Shauni

Well, when you look hard enough, you can spot little Umbrella's logos on those big tubes. But that's it. I haven't noticed them until the second fight.

Yeah, after the fantastic RE stage with Lickers in MvC3, this one is a huge disappointment. :/

Seems like disappointment is the theme for MVC:I

bethore

Can people explain why 0 got so much hate? I played REmake and 0 for the first time with last week's Humble Bundle since I stuck with Playstation consoles after the SNES and never got around to playing them.

I honestly don't know how I feel about REmake. It's a faithful remake for sure, but at the same time I also found it boring because of that. I played the original RE games to death so the game felt too similar. Playing this further cemented that I don't care about nearly 1 to 1 remakes to games I already played. (Which is why I'm a bit apathetic to the RE2 remake until they show gameplay) Although Lisa Trevor was a nice addition to the backstory of RE1.

For RE0 they clearly tried to mix up the formula of the previous games. CV deviated too much and they tried a little bit of everything from all the games up to that point instead of continuing down the CV path. It turned out okay I thought.

The drop item mechanic was more like the real survivor modes where the items didn't magically teleport between item boxes. I'm guessing because of this they also condensed the mansion because it felt like it was just the main hall with small rooms surrounding it instead of a bunch of hallways wrapping around the mansion.
Always having a partner was weird, but it wasn't really a hindrance to the overall game. After RE2, I'm always a bit bummed to see dual protagonists without separate paths with their own story/character development. Instead your partner just sort of acts like an extended inventory with occasional "sent item through an elevator" segments similar to what RE became with 5 and 6. I wonder if people would have felt differently if it was co-op since I see a lot of people defending 5 and 6 because of their co-op experiences while those games still suffered from a lot of the same complaints you hear when comparing RE4 to those two as you do with the classic RE games to RE0.
Enemies designs were definitely weak. Again, I'm guessing this is because it's a prequel and it suffers from what most prequels do in that you can't have something better or more advanced in a prequel that never shows up again in later stories. So we got giant bugs and animals by justifying that's what they experimented on before humans.

Playing RE0 after the change in direction with RE4-7 makes me think that people just got tired of the classic formula and RE0 just became the scapegoat which led to RE4 being radically different which people loved. Since the old RE games defined the survival horror genre, people are willing to look past some of the problems with the PS1 games with nostalgia. However, once the series transitioned to 6th generation consoles people weren't as accepting. CV and 0 are often listed at the bottom of the series for most people, but not REmake. Can't hold that game to the same standards. 'It's just like the old game I love, but with prettier graphics.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaOgZwk9rN8

Mr_Zombie

Can people explain why 0 got so much hate?

Oh boy, it's the "hate on RE0" time again! :D

The non-existent story
I know the RE stories aren't anything special, but RE0 managed to do even worse. For starters, Billy and Rebecca have nothing to do in the game beside going forward. They have no idea where they are, they have no idea where they are heading to, there's no real target in the game. They just stumble blindly around, without any plan, until they find a door outside. And the only people they interact with (beside the final confrontation with Marcus) is Kevin ("there are monsters there!" *dies*), and Enrico ("I'm heading this way to that mansion in the forest, you go find that crazy mass-murderer alone.").

Other than that, they aren't even main actors in the story. The real conflict is between Marcus and the evil duo: Wesker & Birkin (and even that isn't resolved in any way), while Beccy and Billy just walk clueless around the train, mansion, church, plant, reading a diary here and there. Notice that the final boss fight is the first time they even meet Marcus, or even realize he is around. If your protagonists have to ask a "who are you?" question when they meet the main villains 10 minutes before the game is over, you know there's something wrong there. (especially if you - the player - know everything about him, so it's not even a twist or anything).

And let's not even speak about the huge retcon that Marcus is somehow responsible for the incident in the Arkley mansion, or that

Bad, or badly design bosses
- The Scorpion - stand in one spot and shoot whenever he's near you
- The Centipede - follow the monster while it roams the room around randomly minding its own business and try to not be touched by it (seriously, you don't even have to get hit, just being touched). Oh, and if it's Rebecca who had weapons and/or healing items, you're fucked.
- The Bat - an airborne boss in a game that isn't designed at all for airborne enemies (crows alone can be pain in the ass), just great.
- The Prototyrant - first fight is OK, although Tyrant has too much i-frames; second fight, though, when you're with Billy again - pain in the ass due to the AI partner being in the way constantly.
- The Marcus fight - same as above, I could dodge the attacks as much as I could, but the partner was constantly getting hit.

Item system
Hey, let's have this innovative (for the series) item dropping system, while not designing the game around it, at all. So instead of backtracking to the nearest chest, you now have to backtrack to the random room you left the item in. And since all rooms can store a limited number of items, you can't even drop everything in the hub area.

Oh, and the joys of going back and forth moving items around whenever you changed the location (train crash site -> mansion main hall; mansion main hall -> the observatory; the observatory -> the cable car; etc.).

No stakes in the endgame

Remember when in RE1, 2, 3, CV etc. you could feel that the end of the game is near, since you learned the truth (Wesker is the traitor, you just defeated the Tyrant and someone launched the self-destruct system), or the stakes were high (Sherry needs a vaccine, Ada died, Annette was killed, the whole factory is falling apart), or the situation seemed helpless (the city is going to be nuked and the only helicopter left just flew away / was destroyed) etc.? Well, Zero has nothing like that. You find Billy, roam around, step into a random room and suddenly... "Oh, hi Marcus. Is this the time for the final fight?"

The only way I realized that there must be boss behind the last door was because I just used all my key items and this was a plant/laboratory - the final location in all RE games. Other than that, there was nothing indicating that the end is near, mainly because all the story happens without Rebecca and Billy (Birkin mentions turning on the self-destruct system an hour or so ago).

Partner switching

Too many puzzles were artificially created around the feature. Hey, you can't sweep that key under the door; no, you have to send it via the food cart (or however it's called) because of reasons.

Random musings
Hey, that hook shoot? I hope you haven't left it at the train crash :> Oh, and that the stupid item holds two slots? Oops, you never know when it comes handy again so you better keep it close.

Random characters splitting? Hope you haven't treat Rebecca as a healer and item mule and that she actually has some good weapons with her; otherwise, well, you're fucked :>

Ugly CGI cut-scenes. Seriously, some of the cut-scenes were pretty bad even when the game was released on GameCube and nowadays they are really ugly. It's really telling when the in-game Rebecca model looks better and more detailed than the Rebecca in the cut-scene where she meets Enrico for the last time (Enrico looks even worse). Overall the game has very inconsistent cut-scenes; some are pretty good (Rebecca meets the Leech monster for the first time), others are bad (the Rebecca meets Enrico). There are at least two different Rebecca models used in CGIs, or the different lighting makes her look quite different.

Overall, the game was just poorly designed and, IMHO, boring. The gameplay was the only reason that could push me forward, since the story was lackluster (IMHO even the Billy - Rebecca relationship, i.e. a convicted mass-murderer vs a rookie cop, was underutilized), and the gameplay had a lot of frustrating aspects. This is why I put CV over RE0 - that game, even though also frustrating, at least had a gripping (even if somewhat melodramatic) story that I enjoyed following.

That's not the bat

fuck the bat

i cant believe I tricked myself into buying the RE0 remaster

Dusk Golem

Resident Evil 0 is lower on my list of mainline RE games but I still enjoy it. I actually love the settings of the game artistically, so that helps a lot since I find the environments very interesting to explore. I also like Rebecca and Billy as characters in RE0, so that also helps.

I also would personally make the argument while Zero has some of the weakest enemy stuff in the game (the Leechmen are cool, and there's a few other decent enemies and encounters, but a lot of lower-than-average stuff there for the series standard), Zero has some of the best puzzles in classic RE games in my opinion.

Also has one of my personal favorite save room themes.

Jawmuncher

Resident Evil 0 is lower on my list of mainline RE games but I still enjoy it. I actually love the settings of the game artistically, so that helps a lot since I find the environments very interesting to explore. I also like Rebecca and Billy as characters in RE0, so that also helps.

I also would personally make the argument while Zero has some of the weakest enemy stuff in the game (the Leechmen are cool, and there's a few other decent enemies and encounters, but a lot of lower-than-average stuff there for the series standard), Zero has some of the best puzzles in classic RE games in my opinion.

Also has one of my personal favorite save room themes.

It definitely has a lot going for it artistically. The Hd version really helps it stand out as well.

Also RE0 easily has the best save room theme. Then REmake.

After that who cares (no one better even think of posting that not a save room RE7 theme. The menu in RE5 was a better save room theme than that.)

Anyone knows what happened to the composers for Dino Crisis? that save room theme is still among the best in Capcom's arsenal.

Even though it was called set you at ease you still didn't feel totally safe. I loved the atmosphere.

Zero's theme is up there for me as well among the RE franchise.

Jawmuncher

Anyone knows what happened to the composers for Dino Crisis? that save room theme is still among the best in Capcom's arsenal.

Even though it was called set you at ease you still didn't feel totally safe. I loved the atmosphere.

Yeah the Dino Crisis theme is the real answer if we're talking overall. As for who composed the theme I dunno. I've yet to see a particular credit on a lot of the music for that game. They just lumped everyone together outside a few occasions.

I will say a lot of the composers on DC are no longer with capcom though.

Golnei

Not a great deal, it seems - though they could also be doing more unreleased or partially credited work. Akari Kaida is at least reasonably active.

Yeah the Dino Crisis theme is the real answer if we're talking overall. As for who composed the theme I dunno. I've yet to see a particular credit on a lot of the music for that game. They just lumped everyone together outside a few occasions.

I will say a lot of the composers on DC are no longer with capcom though.

Not a great deal, it seems - though they could also be doing more unreleased or partially credited work. Akari Kaida is at least reasonably active.

Unfortunate, I enjoyed the music in 1 and 2. Nice to know that Kaida is still active.

It definitely has a lot going for it artistically. The Hd version really helps it stand out as well.

Also RE0 easily has the best save room theme. Then REmake.

After that who cares (no one better even think of posting that not a save room RE7 theme. The menu in RE5 was a better save room theme than that.)

You're mad, RE7 save room theme is one of the best. I agree 0 might have the best though.

Top Bottom