• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog [confirmed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things certainly don't seem to be going well for Sony's first party studios. If this results in delays of any kind than the stable of expected software in the fall and beyond is going to dry up right quick.

Oh and I won't be supporting the software output of the two douches that forced her out either. Lost sale there.

Oh god king hyperbole is here again.

I don't want to be a dick, but the last of us is much better written so if it is in their hands it is probably going to be better.

Yeah, man, like, what does it mean to be a treasure thief? Maybe we're all treasure thieves, in our own way. Maybe the treasure we steal sometimes is just innocence.

sflufan

Banned
The first two thirds of both of them are pretty okay, in terms of "this is a charming tribute to cheesy old adventure films," but yeah, like I said, her characterization is way more interesting than any actual plot movement she comes up with. Surprise, it was monsters!

Her "characterization" is merely a well-executed rehash of pretty stock -- if not outright cliched -- characters.

Balb

I don't want to be a dick, but the last of us is much better written so if it is in their hands it is probably going to be better.

Uncharted has some well conceived characters, but the stories themselves are fucking garbage.

Even with your acknowledgement this isn't something you say when someone is let go.

Briarios

Apples and oranges. UC and TLOU are very different kinds of stories. I really hope UC4 isn't all dark and depressing now.

That would kill it for me ... I like replaying Uncharted. As much as I liked TLOU, I have no interest in ever playing it again.

Squire

Banned
I enjoy speculating as much as the next guy, but we simply dont know if she was indeed "forced" out. Or what led up to her leaving. I think it's unfair to those involved that we're jumping to conclusions.

Obviously I agree, but you didn't quite my whole post, so maybe you missed that.

I would love to learn that Amy isn't out because of an office politics scuffle - I'm pulling for that not to be the case - but is it in the realm of possibility? Yes, it absolutely is.

Mr. Fix

Uncharted has some well conceived characters, but the stories themselves are fucking garbage.

I was kind of hoping that Neil/Bruce would be working on a new I.P. instead. This is really unfortunate.

In any case this is yet another piece of horrible news for Sony.

I've gotta say man, between this and news of the cancellation of Stig Asmussen's game at Sony Santa Monica, this has been a terrible couple of weeks for PS4 related announcements. '

Sheeeeesh! Sony needs some positive news ASAP!

mileS

This is terrible news :( Not going to be the same Naughty Dog without her.

I'll be waiting and watching to see if we get more solid news on what went down.

Gorillaz

I think it does have more to do with where the company is going rather then office politics of just being "pushed out" because it doesn't make sense.

This might be the last Uncharted for awhile and they might want a new lead for it and direction for their next IP

Big-E

If she was forced out, I think SCEA needs to start putting their studios on shorter leashes. Can't let someone who has performed at her level walk based on some petty bullshit. Her going somewhere outside Sony could be disastrous and ultimately it is Sony's fault for not having a strong enough presence there.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
In any case this is yet another piece of horrible news for Sony.

I've gotta say man, between this and news of the cancellation of Stig Asmussen's game at Sony Santa Monica, this has been a terrible couple of weeks for PS4 related announcements. '

Sheeeeesh! Sony needs some positive news ASAP!

Let me know when the new game announcements and releases stop coming. I don't see any way these last 2 weeks have been bad on the gaming side.

Jburton

Banned
Your tag should be changed to 'King Of Hyperbole'.

Edit: And now the thread has somehow turned into people complaining about unrelated studios not releasing their games on time. Amazing.

"King of Nonsense" more appropriate.

Between him and coldone, it's like watching two bad broadway actors hamming it up and overacting.

Who knows, maybe she got pregnant and wanted to leave the industry to be a rich stay at home mom with all that Uncharted cash. Lol We just don't know.

Cess007

IGN updated the article. Sony confirmed her departure.

Yep, i just read her departure was confirmed. I would like to know more about her decision or if she was forced; but regardless, i wish her the best and that she found a new place to work soon. Now, let's hope for an official explanation or statement (I really hope she wasn't forced out; it's totally not cool if she was)

Her "characterization" is merely a well-executed rehash of pretty stock -- if not outright cliched -- characters.

"Don't worry, Marge. Her idea of wit is nothing more than an incisive observation, humorously phrased and delivered with impeccable timing."

That's perfectly appropriate for Uncharted to be honest. It's an adventure serial tribute. The shitty parts of Uncharted, to be honest, are when it tries to be 1. surprising or 2. introspective. Any of the "dark" moments with the villain in 3 were yawn festivals.

After Druckmann created a new medium with The Last of Us, it only makes sense that he should take greater control.

I bet you she wasn't even mad about being forced out. She saw that Druckman and Straley didn't have anything to work on and sacrificed herself so that the next Uncharted game would be the best piece of media of all time.

So in what way was she involved in UC2? Wasn't she the writer? What the hell does "forced out" even mean?!

It's speculative but I feel like this is very much the clash of two peoples' egos? Neil started as a game tester for ND and climbed his way up the ladder to where he is now (a competent writer) while Amy has a major in English and that was her way into the industry. So it goes to show that you don't need a degree in English to be a decent writer.

She had the same role on UC2 that Druckmann had on TLOU (creative director and writer). As far as I'm aware, that puts them in charge of all things story related, so the script, motion capture, voice acting, etc.

Anyway, really fucking shitty news and I hope the rumour of her being forced out isn't true (though Druckmann has struck me as a bit of a dick in the past). If Sony were smart they'd offer her a role at any one of their other studios because she'd be a huge asset at any of them.

I saw a Qore interview with Hennig 4-5 years ago, and she came across as a very interesting person. It actually made me even pay closer attention to what she was doing with Uncharted.

I hope she's able to land on her feet and get another job quickly.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
How unfortunate that Naughty Dog has lost such an awesome talent, but the gaming industry is constantly in flux. People move around all the time, and if she was unhappy with her role at ND, for whatever reason it may be, it's good that she left. She's done excellent work at every company she's worked at, so whoever snaps her up will be incredibly lucky to have her.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing her return to the Legacy of Kain series...

I'm not even going to entertain the speculation about why she left. We'll probably never know, but I'm not going to worse case scenario it. I know how dramatic the behind the scenes of game development can be, having worked in the industry for 10 years, I wouldn't be surprised if it was some egos and spite, but I'm not going to jump on any side of that debate. All I know is she left ND, and that sucks, and I hope she can move on to a bigger and better career.

FiggyCal

Banned
Obviously I agree, but you didn't quite my whole post, so maybe you missed that.

I would love to learn that Amy isn't out because of an office politics scuffle - I'm pulling for that not to be the case - but is it in the realm of possibility? Yes, it absolutely is.

My bad its midnight. Goodnight.

lmao.

Pretty amazing how people who don't know squat jumps to conclusion right away without knowing what really happened.

Exactly, one person left Naughty Dog. That doesn't bring the house falling down. A project that wasn't coming along like it should and was never even in a state to be shown to the public was cancelled at SSM. Yep, down with PS4.

Why do I feel like these things happen all the time, but when it comes to a first party studio, it's serious business?

If everyone lands on their feet like they should, then we should all still be in for a treat from all parties. Instead of blowing this out of proportion, look forward to her project wherever she inevitably lands. Change isn't always for the worst, not changing isn't always the best.

Mifune

Mehmber
To be honest, I feel like her talents were wasted on Uncharted. Nothing in any of those games approaches the narrative greatness of her work on Legacy of Kain. Hope she finds a great new project to latch onto. Would have been great if it was still at Naughty Dog, but oh well.

It's difficult to blame U3s failures to Amy. I remember watching a vid how U3 was made and they said they designed (those shitty ass) levels first and Amy have to write a story around it. So that was a WTF uh oh moment for me when I learned that. I watched this vid before u3 was released. So that point on I was a bit worried about u3s quality. Wasn't surprised U3 was a step below U2 when it came out.

Let me know when the new game announcements and releases stop coming. I don't see any way these last 2 weeks have been bad on the gaming side.

What game announcements? There haven't been any major game announcements lately.

A few small indie titles got revealed, but nothing really substantial.

If she was forced out, I think SCEA needs to start putting their studios on shorter leashes. Can't let someone who has performed at her level walk based on some petty bullshit. Her going somewhere outside Sony could be disastrous and ultimately it is Sony's fault for not having a strong enough presence there.
Yeah, they should all be tied to their desks and not allowed to leave. Who do these people think they are leaving a company?

Gskyace

I don't see why Bruce and Neil would try to force Amy to leave.
There are two teams in NDI now, can Bruce and Neil lead two teams to create two different titles?

The first two thirds of both of them are pretty okay, in terms of "this is a charming tribute to cheesy old adventure films," but yeah, like I said, her characterization is way more interesting than any actual plot movement she comes up with. Surprise, it was monsters!
I guess I can agree with that. The characters are charming (minus the villains) but she has no idea how to do drama. I'm tempted to attribute the charm to everyone else but her. Alas she was the creative director so I have to give her some credit. The series will likely have a different feel without her.

Exactly, one person left Naughty Dog. That doesn't bring the house falling down. A project that wasn't coming along like it should and was never even in a state to be shown to the public was cancelled at SSM. Yep, down with PS4.

Why do I feel like these things happen all the time, but when it comes to a first party studio, it's serious business?

If everyone lands on their feet like they should, then we should all still be in for a treat from all parties. Instead of blowing this out of proportion, look forward to her project wherever she inevitably lands. Change isn't always for the worst, not changing isn't always the best.
The most rational post in this whole thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom