• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog [confirmed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldone

Guerrilla, please hire her ASAP. She could do wonders for a franchise like Killzone. They have tech, but no hear/soul in the franchise. Which she is the right person to bring it.

She makes memorable characters.

I really hope ND doesnt become all dark and artsy. What made ND successful are the mass friendly titles like Jak, Uncharted etc. Making one artsy title like Last of Us is fine, but I dont want to play depressing games all year.

I want pop-corn flicks.

Cutebrute

I never played through the UC games in their entirety (I have only played PS3 games at a friend's house), but Amy seemed to have an incredibly strong grasp on the genre and this franchise in her interviews. I hope the next studio she works for (if she stays in the industry) will recognize her talent and give her a lot of creative control. A small redistribution of the ND magic can only help the AA/AAA games industry.

I would imagine Sony will attempt to move her to another studio, perhaps one which has moved a lot of staff around for a new IP... SSM anyone?

kairu

Yikes. I'm actually pretty torn. Sucks to lose someone that talented, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer Neil and Bruce's work to her's.

To be honest, I think im in the same boat as you. Sorry to see her go, but yeahhh I really liked Last of Us.

Tagg9

Well that says a lot, it would seem they would be more valuable assets ......... Uncharted 2 and TLOU are the best things Naughty Dog have ever done.

Amy Hennig is largely responsible for coming up with Uncharted, including the pulp fiction tone and Indiana Jones-esque plot.

Why is everyone jumping to conclusions. We still dont even know if this is true. We have the tiniest bit of the story possible.
Seriously. Until there's more to the story there's no reason to jump to conclusions. It could have just been creative differences and ultimately it might have been her decision. We don't know anything.

Hope she goes to somewhere like Valve. She'd be a great asset wherever she ends up.

Demon Ice

Banned
Wow that sucks, she contributed so much to Uncharted.

I also really really really hope the rumors about her colleagues forcing her out are not true.

conman

Considering that Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us are miles ahead of anything else the studio has done, I'm not surprised or disappointed by the news.

But it does suck to see one of the few women in the industry who is in a position of leadership leave one of the most creatively interesting studios.

The forced out thing is still an unsubstantiated rumour coming from IGN's source. Office politics are often subtle, and perception from other staff may not always be the reality of the situation.

Let's wait and see how things unfold on that story instead of jumping the gun on Neil and Bruce.

Kerned

Banned
Maybe she'll return to Crystal Dynamics. Write for a new Legacy of Kain game or TR.
Holy shit, I'd love to see her handed the next Tomb Raider game. What a perfect fit. That serious has potential as it is, but that would be a major win.

I never played through the UC games in their entirety (I have only played PS3 games at a friend's house), but Amy seemed to have an incredibly strong grasp on the genre and this franchise in her interviews. I hope the next studio she works for (if she stays in the industry) will recognize her talent and give her a lot of creative control. A small redistribution of the ND magic can only help the AA/AAA games industry.
That was a big part of the problem. She was heavily into using genre tropes to a fault. Perhaps a game as big as UC4 wasn't feeling progressive enough under her control?

I can only assume UC4 is not coming out this year now

VanWinkle

Guerrilla, please hire her ASAP. She could do wonders for a franchise like Killzone. They have tech, but no hear/soul in the franchise. Which she is the right person to bring it.

She makes memorable characters.

I really hope ND doesnt become all dark and artsy. What made ND successful are the mass friendly titles like Jak, Uncharted etc. Making one artsy title like Last of Us is fine, but I dont want to play depressing games all year.

I want pop-corn flicks.

That would be awesome. Guerilla could use a great writer like her.

Why would it become like that?

Shhhh let people jump to conclusions and forget that the widely considered best entry was in fact lead by Bruce and Neil.

Amy leaving would be a loss for sure, but she wasn't the proverbial lynch pin that held Naughty Dog together. If anything be thankful that you will still get two Naughty Dog games of high caliber and an Amy Henning lead game from somewhere else. Silver linings....

Did anyone else throw out their copies of TLOU just now?

Lol no. Because both UC2 and TLoU are better than UC3. So even though it'll be sad to lose Henning (should this prove true), it softens the blow quite a bit knowing that there are more talented people (IMO) currently working at ND that can take over in her absence.
Druckmann is a boss. It'll be okay.

Pryce

No fucking way. If that's true Druckmann is a huge douche.

Let's not go casting accusations without any knowledge of why she was "forced out".

Did anyone else throw out their copies of TLOU just now?

Considering that TLOU has more depth, character development and simply a better story than Uncharted could ever achieve, no.

And that we don't even know the full situation.

Jburton

Banned
The forced out thing is still an unsubstantiated rumour coming from IGN's source. Office politics are often subtle, and perception from other staff may not always be the reality of the situation.

Let's wait and see how things unfold on that story instead of jumping the gun on Neil and Bruce.

To be honest, I will back the talent ............. and that's Neil and Bruce.

Without them on Uncharted 3 it suffered and with them doing TLOU, it's quite apparent where the real talent is at Naughty Dog.

injurai

Banned
Oh no. Hopefully she lands on her feet. No clue what could have gone down. Hopefully it was no more than a disagreement of progressing that neither group would back down from, and something had to give.

What the fuck? Forcing out the best writer in the industry? Bullshit.

eh... I disagree. She wouldn't make my top 20 best writers.

LastNac

Considering that Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us are miles ahead of anything else the studio has done, I'm not surprised or disappointed by the news.

But it does suck to see one of the few women in the industry who is in a position of leadership leave one of the most creatively interesting studios.
Uncharted 3 outsold UC2. Significantly.

Cheska

This is devastating :( Amy is definitely one of the reasons I love Uncharted so much, and her work has always been top notch IMO.

Donthizz#

I don't get the"forced out" part, she's one of the most senior people at ND behind the co-presidents. Shuhei better give her a studio to run if this is true, or maybe send her to SSM. Fuck this is depressing..

lol IGN probably tossed the "forced out part" in just for the added clicks, and drama... Remember the game journalism... if you can call it that is never held to what they say, or see any repercussions for misinformation.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I hope we get some clarification on this, because it doesn't really sound good. I hate when ego & hubris ruin people that do good work. I think The Last of Us was a great game, but my taste leans far more towards Uncharted. I've truly enjoyed the series.

We most likely wont get clarification on this, and even worse, the PR is most likely going to say that no budding heads happened, and then it will just be up to interpretation of if they're even telling the truth or not.

Damn this is a real kick in the balls. She's one of the best writers in the industry, that said I can see her being the third wheel at ND after TLOU.

Not really sure what the bid deal is, it's not like she was the sole cause of Naughty Dog's quality. Infact I found the writing in Uncharted 1 and 3 quite generic so probably for the best imo.

Gorillaz

I was WONDERING if there was going to be a "tug of war" between the 2 directors.

Damn didnt think she would leave, thought more then likely 2nd fiddle

edit: I don't think she was "forced" but slightly casted off because of the whole team A v team B talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom