• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S3 |OT| This peeno grabs back - Netflix 5/19

Shandy

This season was weird. I definitely enjoyed it while watching it, but I don't feel like it's left much of an impression on me.

And the American pronunciation of "Warwick" is silly.

Episode 13 didn't feel like an end to anything in particular, it was just the last of this batch.

I wasn't paying attention to what episode I was on, so when episode 13 finished and it wasn't going to play another one, I was quite confused. But nope, that was just the end.

Just finished S3. I thought it was generally really strong, and felt more like S1 in tone, which I appreciate. I also thought it was the most consistent, humor wise.

The only thing I (really) didn't like was how all the main plot threads seemed to completely stall at the end in regards to the decisions the characters were making in their relationships.

Jacqueline leaving Russ made no sense, considering he is basically going through the same thing she did when she first moved to the city. Of course he's going to be overwhelmed by these changes, and that's why he needs her, because she's been through all of that before. And the way Titus dealt with Mikey was also lame. He should of been honest with him much sooner. Declaring your love in front of a public audience and a current boyfriend is selfish. I want Titus and Mikey to be together, but Mikey is doing exactly what Titus told him to do, and now Titus is deciding to throw himself back into the picture in such an ostentatious way? Not into that. Lillian and Artie are really cute, but what's the status of their relationship now? It was totally left up in the air. And are Kimmy and Perry a thing? Or is that over? Because hell if I know.

So basically I loved 95% of S3, but the final 5% left me really frustrated. Hopefully S4 addresses all this because I love this show a lot.

Wow, seems I missed something. Can anyone spoiler tag and explain what other netflix show crossed over?

Gretchen goes to a women's prison. Netflix first original program/hit orange is the new black just happens to be about that same thing. Then, as the episode tag, she meets an actual character on the show. Show universes connected.

Ogni-XR21

Just finished the season. I liked it, was on par with the other seasons for me. As I'm not a native speaker I will watch it again with subtitles because there is just so much that goes over my head on the first run.

And now I have Boobs in California stuck in my head. Also quite a few 30 Rock cameos in this season.

scarlet

My favorite Titus moments other than boobs in California would be Titus
and the peacock, also the national anthem.

ScribbleD

This season has been sensational so far. I can't even pick out one favorite joke so far.

I'm on episode 4 and it's killing me every time they cut back to
Titus singing a different back-up verse for the conspiracy theorist. Benghaaaaazi!

Ep. 5: Deeply happy to see a certain group of kids playing Killer Instinct. :D

Gretchen goes to a women's prison. Netflix first original program/hit orange is the new black just happens to be about that same thing. Then, as the episode tag, she meets an actual character on the show. Show universes connected.

Also don't forget that
D'fwan exists in this universe as well which means it's in the same universe as 30 Rock

These jokes feel like they are being written by old people that were once funny, but are now desperately and awkwardly flailing to hit their marks to a younger audience, and it's failing completely.

Nah, I think they're just going over your head.

All the gay references and jokes Titus makes are on point. Easily the best character on the show and feels the most grounded despite being the most showy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
God I love this show. Has it been renewed for S4 yet?

Titus might be one of my favorite characters ever.

Jesus that joke about
neglecting the Americans because there's way too many good shows to watch,
feels like it was written just for me.

barik

Boobs in California was amazing. Really liking the season so far.

Random question, but is there a specific reason for all the robots? I haven't seen season 2 since it came out so I'm not sure if I'm forgetting or missing something.

addik

Boobs in California was amazing. Really liking the season so far.

Random question, but is there a specific reason for all the robots? I haven't seen season 2 since it came out so I'm not sure if I'm forgetting or missing something.

It's just a recurring gag from a Season 1 joke where Jacqueline's husband announced that his company was going to make Yuuko robots. I find it strange they just randomly made it a recurring joke this season even if Season 2 didn't have much of them if I remembered it correctly lol.

Lo_Fi

Ep 4 spoiler
is the rest of the season going to be a bunch of jokes about spoiled college students being "PC"? S2e3 was awful, but it was relegated to one episode. I feel like this is going to be a running theme in this season though, since kimmy is going to college. Every one of those jokes so far has just made me roll my eyes. No one talks like that. Something tells me Tina Fey has never talked to a modern college student.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Just binged/marathoned it today.

It was ... ok. That's the best way I can describe it. It's a fun watch, but I didn't feel super involved in it or anything. There was only like one joke I legitimately laughed aloud at.

I like this show, but I can never get over how close it is to being a 30 Rock successor, while always falling a little bit short.

I can't quite name what's missing, but there's just some element that isn't all the way there in the writing and pacing/delivery of the jokes.

Dude 30 Rock is my all time favorite show and I agree completely. I love Kimmy but there's something that's just not quite 30 Rock level yet. 30 Rock was fucking TIGHT on every level, the casting was impeccable on pretty much every character (even minor ones), the music was phenomenal, the writing was tight as hell, almost every person's bringing their a-game on acting (they ARE the characters, not just actors reading lines), the comedy was insane (I've been told they needed 3 jokes every page the first few seasons and by the end something like every third line needed to be a joke). It's like the perfect show for me, every aspect of it is firing on all cylinders almost the entire show.

I have a feeling Kimmy Schmidt could reach those levels eventually. For all its similarities to 30 Rock it's also pretty different, and I don't think the cast is quite as tight as 30 Rock.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The amount of jokes in 30 Rock/Kimmy is insane.

You could miss more than half of the jokes and the show would still be funny as hell just purely on the amount of jokes there are.

[edit]

I love in the last episode when
that kid instantaneously realizes their apartment is a sideways tugboat.

Ottaro

Ep 4 spoiler
is the rest of the season going to be a bunch of jokes about spoiled college students being "PC"? S2e3 was awful, but it was relegated to one episode. I feel like this is going to be a running theme in this season though, since kimmy is going to college. Every one of those jokes so far has just made me roll my eyes. No one talks like that. Something tells me Tina Fey has never talked to a modern college student.

There are bits of that sprinkled here and there in the rest of the season, but it's never as condensed as it is in ep 4.

The amount of jokes in 30/Kimmy is insane.

You could miss more than half of the jokes and the show would still be funny as hell just purely on the amount of jokes there are.

I know there are jokes I missed by laughing over it because of the joke that came a nanosecond before.

Memles

Dude 30 Rock is my all time favorite show and I agree completely. I love Kimmy but there's something that's just not quite 30 Rock level yet. 30 Rock was fucking TIGHT on every level, the casting was impeccable on pretty much every character (even minor ones), the music was phenomenal, the writing was tight as hell, almost every person's bringing their a-game on acting (they ARE the characters, not just actors reading lines), the comedy was insane (I've been told they needed 3 jokes every page the first few seasons and by the end something like every third line needed to be a joke). It's like the perfect show for me, every aspect of it is firing on all cylinders almost the entire show.

I have a feeling Kimmy Schmidt could reach those levels eventually. For all its similarities to 30 Rock it's also pretty different, and I don't think the cast is quite as tight as 30 Rock.

From my view, the issue that will always hold Kimmy back is that the show has no structure. 30 Rock was tight because it had the workplace anchor in order to drive its storytelling, so the madness could unfold around it. When the show needed to generate story, it could go back to "behind-the-scenes at a late night sketch show," and the core relationships that it built around that.

Kimmy has no such structure, and its characters are far more disconnected, so the show has to do a lot more work just to connect the dots and pull stories together. This doesn't preclude the show from being funny, but I think it struggles to feel cohesive, and to "add up" to something. This season in particular struck me as incredibly thin—it was often very funny, and is certainly very watchable, but it feels lightweight in a way that 30 Rock never did, despite being equally as silly.

From my view, the issue that will always hold Kimmy back is that the show has no structure. 30 Rock was tight because it had the workplace anchor in order to drive its storytelling, so the madness could unfold around it. When the show needed to generate story, it could go back to "behind-the-scenes at a late night sketch show," and the core relationships that it built around that.

Kimmy has no such structure, and its characters are far more disconnected, so the show has to do a lot more work just to connect the dots and pull stories together. This doesn't preclude the show from being funny, but I think it struggles to feel cohesive, and to "add up" to something. This season in particular struck me as incredibly thin—it was often very funny, and is certainly very watchable, but it feels lightweight in a way that 30 Rock never did, despite being equally as silly.

Dude holy shit that's exactly it

Ourobolus

Banned
I was laughing for a good minute from the Teddy Ruxpin joke. I don't know why I found it so goddamn funny.

And then again when Teddy Ruxpin talked, lol

Fritz

Up to episode 3 (I think). I was laughing so hard at the scenes with Kimmy, Titus and Dick's fiancé.

Also I like the show for what it is. It feels so light and kinda fatuitous but you can still tell it's tightly produced.

Going through it at the moment... Up to episode 4 now.
More enjoyable than season 2 so far.

Sometimes I forget how freakishly strong Kimmy is and I see her
carrying a big ass refrigerator on the stair.
She's such a fascinating character, one of the most enjoyable main character in TV for me.

TalonJH

This was my favorite season so far. It's crazy how I've gone from hating Titus to loving him in the last two seasons.

This season was weird. I definitely enjoyed it while watching it, but I don't feel like it's left much of an impression on me.

And the American pronunciation of "Warwick" is silly.

I wasn't paying attention to what episode I was on, so when episode 13 finished and it wasn't going to play another one, I was quite confused. But nope, that was just the end.

Silly or logical? War - wick, those are the letters in the word. That's how brits pronounced those 2 words separately, why not combined?

Fitts

Enjoyable season. Was majorly bummed when they basically wrote
David Cross
out of the show, though.

Slayed me that the only clear parody at the NFL owners meeting was Mark Davis. 😂

'Worrick' is good, 'Worrick' is right. Anything else sounds cumbersome and strange to my dainty Australian ears. :p

No doubt you aren't used to it but to say its illogical when you completely changed the spelling to fit the pronunciation is a little off. Warwick Davis always threw me for a loop as a kid.

Loving This season so far. The crossover at the end of Ep 5. Killed me. I usually hate musical numbers in shows but the ones in this season have killed me each time.

- J - D -

This season's been pretty good for me so far (about halfway through), though I find the college setting the weakest so far due to the "characters" it introduces. I like Perry the philosophy major guy/love interest, but he's a very plain straight man to Kimmy's antics unlike Dong who was a pretty funny and interesting character in his own right.

I rewatched 30 Rock a few months ago and noticed Mikey catcalling at Liz Lemon.
Yup! The actor said he was never told explicitly but he plays it that way.

Also; episode 7
the scene in the parking lot with Scott Adsit had me literally (in the correct sense) gasping for air laughing. Get small, muchachos

Ottaro

Im so glad Jaquelin isn't such a bitch anymore. Shes actually a fun character to throw into the mix.
Yeah, what could have turned out to be a hollow caricature meant solely for laughs is a surprisingly human character. She was great to watch this season.

Goodstyle

Lillian is one of the worst sitcom characters ever. Her acting, her voice, her plotlines, her jokes... It just feels like dead air any time she's on screen.

scarlet

Lillian is one of the worst sitcom characters ever. Her acting, her voice, her plotlines, her jokes... It just feels like dead air any time she's on screen.

1st season Lilian was funny, but got worse since season 2. I don't really care about her, as matter of fact I actually didn't remember her name until your post.

Top Bottom