• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think making first contact would have any impact on racism (between humans)?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think it would. It would be a shocking moment of "togetherness" for humanity and give people fighting for equity a new foothold in the fight against racism. On the other hand, I think that there would be a fairly big pocket of racists that remained, because a rotten apple is a rotten apple no matter what happens in the world around it. A lot of them would just shift their racism to aliens instead. I do, however, think that even some of these hate-fueled bigots would stop or at least lessen their persecution of minorities in favor of persecuting or vilifying aliens instead.

It would open a whole new can of worms. I think a lot would also depend on how advanced or peaceful the aliens were.

What do you think?

Let_That_Be_Your_Last_Battlefield.jpg

probably not

The Kree

Banned
I remember how white Americans treated black soldiers when they came home from WWI and WWII. That's just one example.

Togetherness is not our strong suit as a species.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Yes. I've long maintained that what will bring humanity together will be a collective fear and/or hate towards an alien species.

PSqueak

Banned
What was that fantasy novel that said "why would white and black fight each other when they're too busy ganging up on green [orcs]?"

Basically would be like that eventually.

Probably wouldn't do much to racism. It would just add another species/race for racists to be racists toward.

I'd be much more interested to learn how it would affect religion, personally.

Fuchsdh

Even if it succeeded in bringing humans closer together, I'm not sure just changing the target of bigotry is really anything but a lateral move.

I've been thinking about this for a long time now. Probably because of the Ending of the Original Independence day where we see arabs and Israeli soldiers looking at each other like "yeah, we did it!"

Curious to see what GAF thinks.

Subbed.

Espada

No. They'll just have another group to hate.

Bingo. I have a hard time imagining white supremacists somehow treating black/hispanic/asian people better if an advanced alien species made themselves known to us tomorrow. There would just be something new to hate.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
What was that fantasy novel that said "why would white and black fight each other when they're too busy ganging up on green [orcs]?"

Basically would be like that eventually.
So the plot of every Blizzard game created since Warcraft 3?

I think it depends on how the aliens act. If they're hostile, then I can maybe see that happening, though we might spend too much time trying to figure out who wants to lead the charge to put up a decent defense.

If they're friendly, I could see us climbing all over each other to try to get the most benefit. Lots of countries and races throwing each other under the bus. That sort of thing.

Lord Fagan

It may change the game as far as formal international relations are concerned, but first contact isn't going to magically enlighten humanity to love each other more, I don't suspect.

Would love to be proven wrong, though.

andthebeatgoeson

Nope. I hope we never make contact so I don't ever have to experience anti black raciscm from an alien.

'I don't mean you, chest exploder. You're one of the good ones.'

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I doubt it unless the aliens are aggressive

Is my thought as well.

Peaceful aliens just leads to perceived slights or jealousy.

"These people are too close to the Aliens/These people bending over to these aliens when we should kill them all/These people are getting all the Aliens help and left us to rot"

So yup, aggressive aliens to come together over is probably the only way happen. Only problem is coming together will probably also be the last thing we all do.

commedieu

Banned
The Pope already did damage control. Something to the effect of aliens still being created by god. Theyd be our kin.Because God created all things, and that the teachings are for us to be closer God. And maybe they already learned their lessons from god.

The annunaki won't change the rules. Just expand the scope of how great god is.

As far as racism, it would depend on if first contact meant an end of our technology and energy woes.

Hopefully we would no longer value money, and start to value human kind and bettering ourselves.racism is mainly due to the fight to get a seat at the table of nobility.

I'd be worried about what rich people would do, if the aliens bring free energy and food replication or something and start teaching us how to travel space as they do.

The GOP will try to destroy them.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
To everyone saying it would affect religion, it would. I don't think it would erase it as many people think it would, but rather destroy the fundamentalist, literal-interpretation train of thought that evolution doesn't exist, the earth isn't the center of the universe/flat, etc. etc.

There was a theory I heard about that was submitted to the Vatican that suggested that the human spirit could exist in hypothetical alien species, and that our earthly bodies are vessels used to help us learn and grow while having our earthly experience. Thus, the "aliens" we encountered would simply be humans living on another planet, experiencing a different type of "earthly experience" in a different vessel that had its own evolutionary course. This is HEAVILY re-interpreted from an offhand comment I heard, but that was the basic gist of it.

I'm not saying I personally subscribe to this theory, but the point I'm trying to make is that religion can find ways to accommodate modern science and even other intelligent life. It wouldn't go away, I think it would just adapt. Theologians aren't dumb. Which raises the age-old argument of humans changing religion to suit their agenda vs. accepting it as truth and trying to reconcile what they've learned with what God has told them, but that's another issue altogether.

Now that I went on that massive tangent, the "common enemy" thing is what I was thinking, yes. I don't think it's a good or right answer, but I think it's the most likely to happen. When you weigh differences between races, having scales or tentacles or whatever weird shit aliens might have is way more apparent than having a different skin color, so the "more different" race (with a completely different culture/technology to boot) would be way easier to segregate and view as the "other," which might diminish a sense of separateness between skin colors or slightly different (by comparison) cultures on Earth. I think it would take some time, but it might shift the majority of racism towards the aliens eventually.

More optimistically, the aliens would be peaceful and benevolent and help us reach enlightenment. Buuuut that's not likely to happen. I'd be very glad to be wrong about that, though.

Probably not.

If they're peaceful it would just be like "damn, aliens exist...", and shit would just go on as usual.

If they invade/try to colonize, it might make things worse in the long run, because for sure they would fuck us up and dominate with that swiftness. I doubt they would try to straight up exterminate everyone, because to them we would no longer be a threat. They'd just occupy areas that benefit them, and displace a shitload of survivors, forcing them to live in areas of the planet that suck.

Countries/militaries as we know them would crumble, and it would be anarchy. All these displaced people would be fighting over scarce resources, and that would probably make shit like racism/ethnic conflicts worse.

Edit:

Oh we make first contact.

Maybe. I mean by then races might be pretty mixed.

The Expanse (book and TV show) dealt with the future in a interesting and thoughtful way. In the future we expand in the solar system, and conflicts now arise between Earthers, Mars colonists, and Belters (those who live on space stations, asteroid belts, etc all their lives and cannot withstand the gravity of a planet anymore). The three groups absolutely detest each other and all the racist and demonization that people currently have for other cultures, races, religions, etc smoothly transferred over.

A bit sad to think about but probably extremely true. There's a great scene where a belter leader talks to another belter about why he hates the Earthers so much - "they look up in the sky, see the stars, and think to themselves... that belongs to me."

jph139

I kind of doubt it. They'd just be another rung on the ladder.

"Sure, our new neighbor Steve is an insectoid creature from beyond the stars, but at least he's not an A-rab!"

Racists are cultural neanderthals.

The introduction of a proper tier of hegemony on the cosmos to humanity would do little to impact the racist mind, as it is unable to process its import.

Humans would probably focus more on racism against the aliens and ban sentient snail immigrants or something.

"These snailien ABOMINATIONS are DESTROYING OUR CULTURE AND TAKING OUR JOBS!"

Molluscoid_18.png

Top Bottom