• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alamo Drafthouse hosting women-only Wonder Woman screenings June 6th

Link.
The most iconic superheroine in comic book history finally has her own movie, and what better way to celebrate than with an all-female screening?

Apologies, gentlemen, but we’re embracing our girl power and saying “No Guys Allowed” for one special night at the Alamo Ritz. And when we say “People Who Identify As Women Only,” we mean it. Everyone working at this screening -- venue staff, projectionist, and culinary team -- will be female.

So lasso your geeky girlfriends together and grab your tickets to this celebration of one of the most enduring and inspiring characters ever created.
The reactions have been, well, yeah:
k4ciOO4.png
The best one:

Remember, Wonder Woman was a character created for Women. Let's not forget her history. This is a good thing.

Edit:
UPDATE:

They added more showtimes. This is for the New York Alamo:

Sunday June 4th - SOLD OUT
Monday June 5th - SOLD OUT
Thursday June 8th

https://drafthouse.com/nyc/show/women-only-screening-wonder-woman

LOL
Edit 2:

If for some reason this bothers you please read this:
Lindsay Ellis nailing it as always.

lindsay_ellis_wonder_woman_women_only_screening_2_by_digi_matrix-dbam54o.png

lindsay_ellis_wonder_woman_women_only_screening_by_digi_matrix-dbam54k.png

that fucking entourage one

I am fucking dying. Alamo Drafthouse gets the blessing to do w/e the fuck they want. Best movie experience. Best god damn popcorn and theater food.

Remember, Wonder Woman was a character created for Women. Let's not forget her history. This is a good thing.

Urgh, I kind of hate to be the damp towel in this situation, but this actually is not true, at least not totally. She was created as much for men as women. Her creator even explicitly wrote that he wanted to write a female character that young boys and men could look up to
and be dominated by

But anyway, I don't think that matters to this. Whoever runs that Facebook account is great.

The best part is it's on a Tuesday. This isn't on it's release day or weekend, it's a Tuesday.

It's just a fucking Tuesday. LOL

Laiza

Says something that so many guys don't seem to realize that there are already a huge number of men-only gatherings by default, and that women-only gatherings are the exception for a reason.

Self-awareness would be a nice thing to see more of... someday. Not anytime soon, unfortunately.

Urgh, I kind of hate to be the damp towel in this situation, but this actually is not true, at least not totally. She was created as much for men as women. Her creator even explicitly wrote that he wanted to write a female character that young boys and men could look up to
and be dominated by

But anyway, I don't think that matters to this. Whoever runs that Facebook account is great.
Whatever his intentions were the market steered Wonder Woman towards female readers. It's their go-to superhero when all other female superheroes cater to men. Wonder Women is the one women can always trust.
i like how they list off a bunch of potential movies for men only screenings as if they're making a point for *their* side.

Also ignoring that women are almost half of the movie theater audience. Man of Steel was somewhere around 44% women.

Lynd7

Says something that so many guys don't seem to realize that there are already a huge number of men-only gatherings by default, and that women-only gatherings are the exception for a reason.

Self-awareness would be a nice thing to see more of... someday. Not anytime soon, unfortunately.

While I agree that being petty over this is dumb, I think there is a difference in saying an event can only be attended by woman compared to a normal event that woman may choose not to attend.

They could have just as easily called this a girls movie night and the turnout would likely have been all woman anyway.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Do these people not realize this is exactly why Alamo did this? They wanted the MRA snowflakes to wine so they could troll them.

They know who their audience is, and this plays right to them.

FFS this theater has announced they are going to switch to unisex bathrooms to avoid any bathroom bill issues, and they hand buttons out in their lobby to show you are someone a trans person can walk up to if they are uncomfortable or scared in a situation.

Whatever his intentions were the market steered Wonder Woman towards female readers. It's their go-to superhero when all other female superheroes cater to men. Wonder Women is the one women can always trust.

I mean, not really, Wonder Woman was as popular to young boys, if not more so, than young girls when first launched (as that was the overwhelming readership at that time), and female readership bottomed out after the post-WWII crash. I don't know about the modern era female readership, though.

Not that any of that matters. Still the first major female hero, still the most iconic and original, etc. despite what a lot of people think.

Do these people not realize this is exactly why Alamo did this? They wanted the MRA snowflakes to wine so they could troll them.

FFS this theater has announced they are going to switch to unisex bathrooms to avoid any bathroom bill issues, and they hand buttons out in their lobby to show you are someone a trans person can walk up to if they are uncomfortable or scared in a situation.

damn, I love them for being the cool kid among theaters with great food, didn't know they were also THIS cool.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It's the people who call other snowflakes, who are the most fragile. Alt-right fuckers would literally die without society propping their goddamn asses up.

I mean, not really, Wonder Woman was as popular to young boys, if not more so, than young girls when first launched (as that was the overwhelming readership at that time), and female readership bottomed out after the post-WWII crash. I don't know about the modern era female readership, though.

Not that any of that matters. Still the first major female hero, still the most iconic and original, etc. despite what a lot of people think.

Female readership bottomed out around that time cuz, much like video games and computers, the market tried to cater more exclusively towards boys.

kirblar

This explains why it was "No Guys Allowed" instead of going for the opposite "Girl Power" type approach w/ a "BE THE WARRIORS OF THEMYSCRIA" type selling tag.

Pluto

People complain about that? My local cinema does nights like this for both sexes, it's just promotion. So you can't go to one screening ... who cares?

Shaanyboi

Banned
It upsets me greatly that a single showing of a single movie that is in wide release for the summer is being made for only women.

WHAT ABOUT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It's a movie for a character that has been propped up as THE ultimate female badass icon; someone women of all ages and backgrounds can look up to.

Let them have this early screening. They deserve it.

liquidtmd

Banned
Fair play to them.

The amount of shit women have thrown at them in genre circles, nights like this should be fun events - not times for angry men to scream 'WHAT IF' arguments to try and stop it happening.

It's a movie for a character that has been propped up as THE ultimate female badass icon; someone women of all ages and backgrounds can look up to.

Let them have this early screening. They deserve it.

It's not an early screening. The movie comes out June 2nd. This is just a one-day special screening on a Tuesday.

Bleepey

There's probably a logical inconsistency or hypocritical side to it but honestly it's just a marketing gimmick. I don't care.

Top Bottom