• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

Dead

well not really...yet
2 minutes into that video, the biggest "you will say wow" difference is the stuff with the helicopter. Xone with a huge downgrade in the sand particles and effects shown with the copter wings blowing...

LevityNYC

Banned
jon-stewart-popcorn11.gif

Watching now...

One keeps pace in general but that helicopter shit and the fire stood out to me at first glance as clearly different.

What I say, start munching on them delicious crows. Custom xbone upscaler doing it's thang as expected.

...You are aware that it seems DF is pretty heavily saying the PS4 version is superior in this regard right

Jomjom

Banned
They screwed up on the XO feed it's dark as hell. Even in the daylight scenes you cant see any details for areas that are black or dark.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Video is useless. Compression is awful and the gamma is all fucked up.

Needless to say, there are some basic differences in image quality that need knocking on the head right away. Chief among them is the hot topic of internal resolution, where we determine that the Xbox One code is indeed running at 1280x720. If this is set in stone for release - as is likely - the Microsoft version is poised to give us the most aliasing of the two next-gen platforms by a noticeable degree, and is only a stone's throw from the sub-720p resolutions of current-gen releases. On the other hand, the PS4 version delivers a whopping 1600x900 resolution in all modes, giving it a 50 per cent lead in output pixels overall. As well as cutting down on jagged edges, this reduces the amount of pixel shimmer we see in motion on complex shaders or thin geometry, with distant power lines, scaffolding and other elements with sub-pixel elements creating unwanted flickering on Xbox One.

But the differences we saw don't just stop at resolution. Both versions are treated to post-processing anti-aliasing too, seemingly equivalent to the refined, high setting on PC. However, this doesn't tell the whole story. As you may notice in our screengrabs, the actual results on PS4 lack the corresponding level of crystal clarity we'd expect of such a significant resolution boost. This should surely be a home run for Sony's console, but what is likely to be a software-based upscale to 1080p delivers less-than-stellar returns, and for better or worse leaves the Xbox One with an often crisper looking, albeit much more aliased image.

What is curious is the level of "pop" given to the Xbox One's textures, where - bizarrely - artwork often seems to be more detailed than on PlayStation 4. In high contrast scenes, we sometimes see a kind of halo effect around some detail, which may suggest some kind of artificial detail-boosting post-process. Whether this is part of Microsoft's new upscaling tech remains to be seen, but we were reminded of the Medal of Honor effect seen in the Darbee Darblet review. However, what is added to texture detail also seems to be applied to XO's most ugly element - its highly noticeable sub-pixel break-up.

Newlove

Wow! Very impressed. Didn't think I would be but I'm very happy with what I see. Both look virtually identical, PS4 maybe scrapes it a little and the colour seems more vibrant on Xbox One. Either way very happy.

What is curious is the level of "pop" given to the Xbox One's textures, where - bizarrely - artwork often seems to be more detailed than on PlayStation 4. In high contrast scenes, we sometimes see a kind of halo effect around some detail, which may suggest some kind of artificial detail-boosting post-process. Whether this is part of Microsoft's new upscaling tech remains to be seen, but we were reminded of the Medal of Honor effect seen in the Darbee Darblet review. However, what is added to texture detail also seems to be applied to XO's most ugly element - its highly noticeable sub-pixel break-up.

This paragraph gives me hope that the XO will have some fight in it after all.

Derrick01

Banned
the Microsoft console manages to hold up despite the undeniable, quantifiably worse metrics in terms of both resolution and frame-rate.

Oh is that all? JUST resolution and frame rate on a launch, cross gen title DF? :lol

vilmer_

Looks exactly like a previous generations DF PS3/360 comparison. Vaseline infused Playstation version still lives.

On the other hand, the PS4 version delivers a whopping 1600x900 resolution in all modes, giving it a 50 per cent lead in output pixels overall.

50 per cent? It's 56.25 per cent. But I guess this additional 6.25% increase for the PS4 is "not significant", right?

Guys why does the xbox one look better/

What is curious is the level of "pop" given to the Xbox One's textures, where - bizarrely - artwork often seems to be more detailed than on PlayStation 4.

1920x-1

1920x-1

Tagg9

Xbox One has way better color (gamma levels, maybe?). Other than that, there's a bit more detail on PS4.

Both look shitty compared to PC. =(

Striek

Reading the DF article it sounds like the gap is actually way bigger than anyone predicted but they conclude its not a big deal somehow. Not only is it a large resolution difference but basically everything else is all around better on PS4 (framerate, AA etc.).

Top Bottom