• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

Danielsan

So I've only played a couple of hours, I only just started chapter 3, where the game opens up. I'm not sure that I like the "open world" direction of the game. I absolutely loved the first game, but my initial reaction to chapter 3 is that it's a bit bland? I guess I preferred the more directed game structure of the first. I also think the game "feels" a bit janky. I know it's early hours, but combat just doesn't feel great so far. Tomorrow I have a day off so I can really dig in. Hopefully the game manages to grab me after a bit more time.

kodecraft

My waifu

tew2-guardian02b6pph.jpg

tew2-guardian0177rr4.jpg

tew2-guardian031nlky.jpg

tew2-guardian037nqdq.jpg

(Seriously an underrated design. Would be easier to appreciate if it wasn't always charging at me like a bull in a china shop.)

So it's official, you're not calling this monstrous thing Laura anymore?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

O.DOGG

I couldn't find the name of these crawling enemies in Ch. 3, the lizard like things with a couple of heads. They're so annoying. Any good strategies for killing them?

O.DOGG

What about
the ghost?
Is it really
Laura
?

I don't think it's
Laura
at all. As far as I understand it,
it's the personification of the psychological scars from the trauma that Sebastian experienced during the first game. That's how I read the conclusion of the last segment with her anyway. Besides, Laura is still in the game in her original form.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I don't think it's
Laura
at all. As far as I understand it,
it's the personification of the psychological scars from the trauma that Sebastian experienced during the first game. That's how I read the conclusion of the last segment with her anyway. Besides, Laura is still in the game in her original form.

In ch.2,
you definitely see child Laura in her red dress on the mirror moments before the Guardian shows up. But from what I understand the Guardian are the women Stefano killed just like Obscura. The Laura from ch.14 is actually Theodore using Sebastian own fears against him.
That leaves the ghost, which you can clearly her calling Sebastian by name and every appearance of her is related to the Beacon incident, but there are files that indicate that the ghost also appeared to other people in Union.

Dusk Golem

kodecraft

I know y'all are glad there aren't any zombie-fied Mobius operatives with guns in this right? Big complaint of the first is enemies shooting back lol.

You literally see Laura's human self in the mirror right before The Guardian appears in Chapter 2 though.

Well, I think the game confuses me there as I'm not too well versed on TEW lore. What's with all the heads and limbs strung together to build the thing?.... The Guardian seems to be Stefano's minion....some work of 'art' of his.... maybe.

I'd like to think Laura is dead and gone.

O.DOGG

You literally see Laura's human self in the mirror right before The Guardian appears in Chapter 2 though.

It seems I missed her both times I played through that segment. I just saw a video and yeah, that's reasonably Laura because of the red dress.
Though what's with the smile? And the red dress is precisely the reason why I don't think Anima is Laura. Other than the hair there's no other reason to think that it's Laura. Remember, Laura always has a red element to her - whether the covered in blood monster, or the girl in the red dress. And Anima has no red on her at all.

Mifec

Finished the game, went survival first so cucked myself out of all standard weapons achievement. Gonna have to get that on Classic mode. Need to finish the game on Classic and then I'm 100% done.

Objectively superior to the first game in everything but atmosphere/if you're into the grimy look. Had a lot of fun even though Survival was too easy.

That's just the giggling/smiling Guardian head(as in the woman before she was decapitated) in her human form and for whatever reason they put on Laura's dress.

Neiteio

Guys it's not Laura or Guardian, it's my waifu

BTW, a question about the Ch. 11 boss, which I'm currently playing:
Is the Asian girl supposed to be following me around during the actual fight? Cuz she is, despite the cutscene showing her walled off by fire.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Also if you listen closely to the Anima,
she sometimes is humming the Clair de Lune (the music from mirrors of the first game)

sphinx

the piano man
is Chapter 3 probably the longest chapter???

it took me like 3 nights to scavenge and get all loot, kill every enemy, get every collectable and finish all tasks at hand.

beginning chapter 4, clock said I had been playing for 10 hours...

you guys saying this game is 15~20 hours long must be running straight to the final boss.

myco666

Guys it's not Laura or Guardian, it's my waifu

BTW, a question about the Ch. 11 boss, which I'm currently playing:
Is the Asian girl supposed to be following me around during the actual fight? Cuz she is, despite the cutscene showing her walled off by fire.

Yeah, thats a bug. She shouldn't do that.

it took me like 3 nights to scavenge and get all loot, kill every enemy, get every collectable and finish all tasks at hand.

you guys saying this game is 15~20 hours long must be running straight to the final boss.

It took me 7-8hours to get to chapter 4 and 20hours to beat the game. Lot of chapters are really short and linear.

The only reason why chapter 3 is long because people opt to explore the entire town. I’m sure if you beeline to the main objective that chapter is as short as the others.

CheckMate

So I checked Steamspy after a week and the it's at 73k which is terrible for AAA game. This is probably the first I ever liked a franchise so much and know it got canned for terrible sales.

I would be less bitter if we got a budget AA DLC. Hopefully it's pretty far in development so it won't get canceled ;p

my first and only run (on nightmare, not gonna replay this game) was 28 hours. Of course I took my sweet time, especially in the open areas exploring and killing everything.

Great game but am not gonna replay it, would still recommend it etc.

kromeo

I was over 10 hours when I went into the marrow for chapter 4, but I think I'd literally covered every inch of the open area

Bastos

I only killed the first Haunted before going to sleep, will continue testing today, but the game really doesn’t have that satisfying blood all over the place when you pop an enemy’s head anymore? :(

Xpliskin

I'm at chapter 3 but visiting every single corner etc ..

They still didn't fix the main issue with TEW 1.
Teleporting around to dfiferent places, it kills the pacing.

I loved the serial killer level and the snippets of him using the communicator.

Open-world union city feels like a bootleg TLOU.

I feel like the linear levels/sub-missions will be great but the open world levels will be too generic.

I'm loving the game though, those are my main gripes.

Combat feels super visceral.

nkarafo

I hear there are
no rewards after the ending
like in the first game, like
chapter select and the model viewer.

Now i'm in the final few chapters. Is there a way later in the game to go to previous areas, like the first town for instance? To find stuff you might missed? If not then that really sucks for me and it destroys any replay value this game might had.

Dusk Golem

Peroroncino

Just finished it, loved every single second of it.

So many questions need answering. Will there be any story DLC?

I would hope so...

We still don't know [end game spoilers] what the hell is up with
Joseph from TEW1, after fidning last slide Kidman says outright that he lives and it's a long story
- so c'mon game, don't leave me hanging like that.

nkarafo

There's plenty of rewards, but they're not the same as the first game, no.

And no, there is a point of no return. Like the Chapter 3 area becomes unavailable I think after you complete Chapter 8 for example.
What a complete screw up. So the only way to replay your favorite chapters (without playing from the start) is to know this beforehand and never rewrite your manual saves? And how are you supposed to know you found everything in order to complete it 100% when you don't have the chance to go back and re-explore?

I hate when games do that, especially considering the first game did it right. That makes this game a "complete it and never return to it" for me :(

pbatty89

Neo Member
rented it yesterday and got to chapter 3. walked into a house which i was directed to go to and then i was able to fast travel to somewhere else and before i knew it i was on a side mission. I realised this is no longer the evil within and just some generic open world game that really didnt need to be made. Also why does this game need optional dialogue.Turned it off and sent it back.

Kazuhira

All chapters are short tbh,ch3 can be done in 15mins if you go straight to the objective.
If you're doing ng+,you can rush it even faster.
Edit:mmm.well maybe only 15mins was a little exaggerated but you know what i mean.

13 hours in, 2 chapters away from finishing it. I've explored every area and done every side quest.

You must be dawdling like a nutter.

Xpliskin

Don't know if I'm seeing things but the serial killer dude is heavily based on JHIN of "League of Legends".

Or maybe they're both based on the same character.

Jhin is a psychopath who likes taking pictures of the moment he kills his victims, mostly using his gun. With classical music.
Both like flower patterns, and art in general.
Jhin has his right eye missing, we never see the serial killer guy's right eye (covered by his hair).

jhin-promo-zed-wallpaper-1920x1080.jpg

Danielsan

rented it yesterday and got to chapter 3. walked into a house which i was directed to go to and then i was able to fast travel to somewhere else and before i knew it i was on a side mission. I realised this is no longer the evil within and just some generic open world game that really didnt need to be made. Also why does this game need optional dialogue.Turned it off and sent it back.
Kind of my sentiments, though I'll stick with it.

Neiteio

I restarted the Ch. 11 boss fight because
Yukiko glitched out and was following me
, lol.

Beat it, though. And boy, that was intense. I see what some were saying about how sometimes you don't get the sneak attack prompt. I ended up
stabbing him the first couple times, but for the second half of the fight I kited him around the gurney in the autopsy room and kept pumping him full of shotgun shells, handgun bullets, two explosive bolts, and several harpoons to the head... only to finish him off with one miraculously timed sneak attack at the end
. Came out of the fight with, like, two handgun bullets, lol. I can see why Tatiana keeps telling you that chapter "Hey, you might want to upgrade your combat skills!"

But yeah, Ch. 11 was fantastic. The
third ghost section with the furniture maze
was brilliant, and I loved sneaking around the
laboratories

SomTervo

Nothing? He let go of the director responsibilities in general, overwatching the studio.

Very interesting. I wonder what else they're working on.

Jesus christ. I know you're not going to come back to this thread but honestly it wasn't really a side mission. It was just part of the open world, just one you go through
a computer
to get to.

That part literally lasts about 5 minutes.

Then the majority of the rest of the game is linear again, with only a couple of 'open world' diversions in total. The side quests aren't necessary or even really side quests. It still plays like a linear game, it just has two parts where the design stretches out to a wide area.

Man, sending an entire great game back because of one snap moment of gameplay...

So I've only played a couple of hours, I only just started chapter 3, where the game opens up. I'm not sure that I like the "open world" direction of the game. I absolutely loved the first game, but my initial reaction to chapter 3 is that it's a bit bland? I guess I preferred the more directed game structure of the first. I also think the game "feels" a bit janky. I know it's early hours, but combat just doesn't feel great so far. Tomorrow I have a day off so I can really dig in. Hopefully the game manages to grab me after a bit more time.

Kind of my sentiments, though I'll stick with it.

Don't let the "open world" turn it off for you. That's not the core structure of the game. It's just one chapter.

The game's structured more like Uncharted 4. 70% linear with a couple of parts that open up.

Kazuhira

The boss from ch11 is probably my favourite,
Stefano was cool but i dig this one more for some reason.
Spoilers from ch13:
Although it kinda lost its charm when harbingers became a more common enemy type,at least Stefano kept his uniqueness.

SomTervo

Whatever it is, I hope it'll work out, cause I wouldn't want this to be the end of Tango after just 2 games.

Christ, I know.

At least if Tango get shuttered these guys will probably move onto other interesting things.

It'll be interesting to see what Bethesda's published output looks like next year or even in 2019. They're going to have to pivot their tactics moving forward.

Yeah, it's awesome, but what's funny is what you call Ch. 6, I called Ch. 7, since the same area changes from Ch. 6 to Ch. 7 if you investigate the theater where the story directs you.

I imagine you're staying away from that because you want to do the side stuff first and you think going to the story area might lock you out. Well, no worries — you can check out the theater and it will point you to several other locations around the city, so you're not locked out or anything.

Ooo gotcha, yeah I was takinrg my chapter 3 approach of exploring everything before I tackle the side mission.

Media blackout successful:

Did my usual options run-through and, yes! Latin American text/dub! Oh, man, that makes me so happy. Thanks, Bethesda.

The dub is great so far. I usually play everything in English, but I didn't care much for the characters in the first game, so experiencing them in another language I also understand is great.

Sebastian already has more personality than he did in the whole of TEW1, and I'm only in chapter 3.

Skulldead

Chapter 13 location spoiler :

Happy to have another semi open world area, but i'm so disappointed that they use the same as freaking chapter 7 map ! So that it's only 2 open areas ? This was one the coolest feature of the game....

Chapter 12's art direction and atmosphere was fucking incredible, bravo to whoever designed it. Now this is what I want in a Evil Within game.

It's a shame that enemies are still the same old generic American looking zombies with generic American clothing, the first game had so many diverse looking mobs it was amazing. This game only has American zombies and lava zombies so far.

myco666

So many questions need answering. Will there be any story DLC?

I can only think one question that needs answering and it is the same question that we asked after the first game.

I'm at chapter 3 but visiting every single corner etc ..

They still didn't fix the main issue with TEW 1.
Teleporting around to dfiferent places, it kills the pacing.

I loved the serial killer level and the snippets of him using the communicator.

Open-world union city feels like a bootleg TLOU.

I feel like the linear levels/sub-missions will be great but the open world levels will be too generic.

I'm loving the game though, those are my main gripes.

Combat feels super visceral.

Don't really understand how teleporting around to different places is an issue.

kromeo

I can only think one question that needs answering and it is the same question that we asked after the first game.

There was Leslie appearing outside the stem and Sebastian hearing the noise again at the end of 1, unless they were covered in the second DLC..

I just hope we get Joseph DLC for 2, I assume he was put in stem somewhere by Kidman

It's a shame that enemies are still the same old generic American looking zombies with generic American clothing, the first game had so many diverse looking mobs it was amazing. This game only has American zombies and lava zombies so far.

Yeah man, one of the things I’m most disappointed in with this game is the design of the Lost. Like you said, in the first game we had so many different haunted. Ones with barbed wire on their heads, punji stakes, clown masks, cultist robes, city garb, body armor, weird freaky skin tight masks (the ones that just show up in the mannequin factory). And several variants for each kind.

These ones all look largely the same and it’s not a particularly freak design. They also don’t sound very scary imo.

At least this game seems to have more enemy variety in general to help make up for that though.

Top Bottom