• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

ReyVGM

Hi-res can be 512x224, 256x448, or 512x448. The person he's quoting is definitely missing the technical details, but the underlining issue (Canoe doesn't display Hi-res modes correctly, BUT it is emulating them correctly) is true.

That's pretty much what I said :p

Point is SNES doesn't render anything at 640 or 320.

What setting on my laptop could possibly be giving me the "can't unpack ramdisk" error? I was finally able to flash the custom kernel and can add and remove any and all games from multiple systems, BUT, when I try and add Retroarch and re-flash the custom kernel to get it on my SNES Classic, I end up with the same "can't unpack ramdisk" error again.

I turned off my antivirus software. Hakachi2 is on my core C:

What else could be causing this issue?

Are there any spite thumbnail albums around? I'm trying to make my own but I'm really not happy with the results.

Edit: I'm blind and found one from Weltall Zero. Here it is in case others have missed it...

Thanks for the requote, and glad you found them useful! I realize the fact that I just update the galleries whenever I add new icons, rather than repost new ones, may make them a little less visible. Robin64, would you consider adding them to the OP?

ParityBit

Thanks for the requote, and glad you found them useful! I realize the fact that I just update the galleries whenever I add new icons, rather than repost new ones, may make them a little less visible. Robin64, would you consider adding them to the OP?

I second and third having them added. I am using them!

ReyVGM

What setting on my laptop could possibly be giving me the "can't unpack ramdisk" error? I was finally able to flash the custom kernel and can add and remove any and all games from multiple systems, BUT, when I try and add Retroarch and re-flash the custom kernel to get it on my SNES Classic, I end up with the same "can't unpack ramdisk" error again.

I turned off my antivirus software. Hakachi2 is on my core C:

What else could be causing this issue?

I assumed that if you moved it to drive C, then you must have read all the messages I posted for you.

All those messages were found by a simple google search. Just google your problem and you'll find lots of people with the same issue and solutions.

ParityBit

Question about FTPing. I am using Filezilla and I remember someone saying you have to make sure you only do one file at a time or something? What was that and what is the setting?

LordRaptor

Question about FTPing. I am using Filezilla and I remember someone saying you have to make sure you only do one file at a time or something? What was that and what is the setting?

edit -> settings -> transfers -> set everything in the concurrent transfers to 1

I assumed that if you moved it to drive C, then you must have read all the messages I posted for you.

All those messages were found by a simple google search. Just google your problem and you'll find lots of people with the same issue and solutions.

I appreciate your replies, but believe me, I'd already googled my issue MANY times over and tried all those solutions before you posted them. I've even emailed ClusterM himself and his "solution" did not help either.

Just got my SNES Classic and I really want to add more games to it.

Is it hard? I never modified my NES Classic and if I do add more games to the SNES, I want the presentation on the menu to look as good as the official ones.

CLEEK

Just got my SNES Classic and I really want to add more games to it.

Is it hard? I never modified my NES Classic and if I do add more games to the SNES, I want the presentation on the menu to look as good as the official ones.

It's not hard at all. Download the Hakchi2 tool, connect your SNES to your PC, follow the basic instructions that Hakchi gives you, make a copy of your default SNES flash so you can revert back to it if anything goes wrong, apply the custom flash, then add games and other tweaks.

Once you've done the initial backup and custom flash, which takes 10 minutes tops, it's like using iTunes to change the songs on your iPhone. Really simple and idiot proof.

Hi-res can be 512x224, 256x448, or 512x448. The person he's quoting is definitely missing the technical details, but the underlining issue (Canoe doesn't display Hi-res modes correctly, BUT it is emulating them correctly) is true.

Hires mode should be working fine in Retroarch. The problem is there is something hardcoded in the Canoe emulator. As in it's only activating a higher resolution display value for games run from a specific point. It does however emulate the underlying hardware calls properly.

Secret of Mana on the SNESCE is running the game at a higher actual resolution. Any games added to the SnesCE (including copying and pasting SoM from the SNESCE to the space where all games are added) are all being rendered at the default resolution (256x224) then scaled up to 720p.

So what's happening is that Canoe is properly emulating Hi-res mode (In SoM and SD3's case, 512x224), then downscaling it to 256x224 before scaling it back to 720p, causing a loss of detail in the only play hi-res mode really effects most games... the graphic layer with text on it.

As long as hires mode is working fine in retroarch, I'll be fine. I'll just have that one game run through it, the rest in canoe.

Thanks.

Edit: I guess it isn't.

mr. grape

As long as hires mode is working fine in retroarch, I'll be fine. I'll just have that one game run through it, the rest in canoe.

Thanks.
Jurassic Park doesn't work fine in retroarch, at least not with snes9x2010. The sound is screwed up. Haven't tested the 2005 core with it yet

Jurassic Park doesn't work fine in retroarch, at least not with snes9x2010. The sound is screwed up. Haven't tested the 2005 core with it yet

DAMN IT. Well, thanks for letting me know at least. I guess I have no solid way of playing this as it was designed through the SNESC.

I don't actually recall how important transparency was for this game, though. Was it just menus and stuff? I'm hoping it's still totally playable, unlike the kirby that gets all fucked up with canoe for similar reasons.

mr. grape

DAMN IT. Well, thanks for letting me know at least. I guess I have no solid way of playing this as it was designed through the SNESC.

I don't actually recall how important transparency was for this game, though. Was it just menus and stuff? I'm hoping it's still totally playable, unlike the kirby that gets all fucked up with canoe for similar reasons.
I didn't play it for long enough to test the transparency, but it's listed as "Transparency not working for overlay outside buidings.Can be problematic in some instances" on the compatibility spreadsheet so I assume it's more annoying than menus. You could try the snes9x 2005 core to see if that fixes it, it fixes sound issues in some of the other hires mode games

Psxphile

I can`t flash my custom kernel.

-> Error "Cant write to usb"

What am I doing wrong? :/

Try the original cable that came with your unit.
If you *are* using the original cable, use a different one and/or a different port. For instance, if you're using a cable/port rated for USB 3.0, use one for 2.0 instead.

Yeah, seems finicky.

Tadie

Try the original cable that came with your unit.
If you *are* using the original cable, use a different one and/or a different port. For instance, if you're using a cable/port rated for USB 3.0, use one for 2.0 instead.

Yeah, seems finicky.

Great! Thx :)

Is there a good Final Fantasy IV SNES mod that someone can direct me to please?

So far I'm torn between the Project II mod and the Namingway Edition.

I'm interested in both but only need to get one of them. The only issue I have with Project II so far is that they use the old NA logo instead of the official one.
It's not hard at all. Download the Hakchi2 tool, connect your SNES to your PC, follow the basic instructions that Hakchi gives you, make a copy of your default SNES flash so you can revert back to it if anything goes wrong, apply the custom flash, then add games and other tweaks.

Once you've done the initial backup and custom flash, which takes 10 minutes tops, it's like using iTunes to change the songs on your iPhone. Really simple and idiot proof.
Thank you for the response! I'll try out Hakchi2 and see what happens!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Very strange. Been Googling and pretty much only Pyrrhic Victory and I seem to have posted problems about FTP and those autoplay files. Either no one cares or we're really unlucky.

The only setting I changed was the maximum number of files to transfer at a time to one (as suggested in the OP). Perhaps there's something else I should be ticking so the FTP client isn't picky about what kind of "file" Autoplay is.

Robin64

I cannot stress how good PNGGauntlet is. It takes a while to run, but drag your hakchi folder into its window and sit back and watch the magic happen. You'll save a ton of space.

RunTheGhouls

Neo Member
Puttting Mega Drive titles on a Mini SNES seems blasphemous.

If so then what I've done is a war crime.

vRBRGSA.jpg

At least /games_snes/, though I have a /backgrounds/ folder too, so just did both. Saved a load of space. Well, a load of space when you consider how much you get. Every little helps here.

How do I do it with /backgrounds/? Haven't messed with those yet.

Edit: Got it!

DonMigs85

At least /games_snes/, though I have a /backgrounds/ folder too, so just did both. Saved a load of space. Well, a load of space when you consider how much you get. Every little helps here.
I did it just now keeping all settings on default and it saved me just under 4MiB. Lol

Robin64

What is this and what do I do with it?

It reduces the file size of images. If you care about peak space optimisation, just drop a folder in it and let it do its thing to give you more space. Results vary depending on what images and how many you have. One guy on Reddit saved 15mb from his box art folder alone. I gained about 8mb myself from backgrounds, sprites, and icons. Not a lot, no, but as I say, peak optimisation.

pitt_norton

Dude that looks so sweet!

I used SolidWorks for the base model and to get the perspective, and then I brought a two-tone render into gimp to match by color to easily apply the gradients.

If you got a font for me to use, I'd be happy to render something and send you the base to play with.

Not having true Photoshop is killing me not being able to easily add some of these post processing effects.

SoildWorks... wow that one I hadn't heard of!

Stepping away from the box design for a day... I think it really holds up. The urge to try other fonts for curiosity's sake has subsided haha Thank you though!

It reduces the file size of images. If you care about peak space optimisation, just drop a folder in it and let it do its thing to give you more space. Results vary depending on what images and how many you have. One guy on Reddit saved 15mb from his box art folder alone. I gained about 8mb myself from backgrounds, sprites, and icons. Not a lot, no, but as I say, peak optimisation.

Not a lot? That's like 8-15 extra games! Thanks a lot for this, will try it in a bit.

SOLDIER

I cannot stress how good PNGGauntlet is. It takes a while to run, but drag your hakchi folder into its window and sit back and watch the magic happen. You'll save a ton of space.

Awesome, hope you add it to OP.

So I’ve been inquiring more than once about Retroarch’s compatibility with games. Is there a list I can consult for how games perform with each SNES core?

Once again, I’m trying to figure out how to get Secret of Mana working properly with the font patch.

Is the original kernel dump like a backup of everything on the system? Can I use it if I want to restore everything to stock and revert any changes made by hakchi?

Top Bottom