• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
0VyUMXQl.jpg

The show is basically set up to be like Watamote, where you assume some learning moment will happen for these characters and they'll learn how to properly navigate the difficult world of human relationships. The happy ending basically writes itself.

Although, I would really be excited if they learn what they need to learn without anyone getting what they want. lol

I don't foresee that this type of show will have a happy ending. Doesn't really fit the way the show is going about its day. It's going for a School Days type ending. I feel it. :(

I basically feel the same. Last thing I watched that made me feel similarly was this show UnREAL, where the cast were all utterly shitty people as well. This anime just feels like a slow-moving trainwreck that I just can't look away from. Like, am I even actually enjoying it? Will I actually think I've watched a decent anime once it's finished airing? I... dunno. Outside of the teacher being that character you love to hate, everyone else is so... Ugh.

Yet I'll still watch it next week.

Exactly, exactly. It's watching a train about to crash. You shouldn't watch it happen, and yet you can't tear your eyes away.

LOLOLOLOLOL

Oh $hit, now you've done it!

CLaxRZI.gif

The Hyouka is the greatest thing EVER defense force is gonna pounce on your a$$... Be prepared

I'm sorry, Cornbread, but Hyouka is better than SAO. I actually have no strong feelings towards SAO. I dont hate it, but I don't think it's the best thing ever either. Hyouka on the other hand is really, really good and I will defend its honor!

Man the more I read about everyone's responses to Scum's Wish the less I want to see it. I hate seeing people hurt by terrible people, especially sexually. Just bothers me to a particular level.

Oddly enough, it's part of the reason why I haven't seen SAO yet. Things like Rape continue to bother me significantly.

It just depends on your tolerance on your level of seeing other people emotionally suffer all the time. I started, and now I have to see this s**t to its end.

This certainly wasn't the case back in 2012 where Hyouka won AOTY and SAO didn't even make the list.

Hyouka is fantastic stuff, as you now know. :p

Sadly it seems that SAO has bested the test of time while Hyouka hasn't. EVERYONE GO WATCH HYOUKA AND MAKE ME FEEL BETTER.

Yes! Everyone go and watch Hyouka, and demand the North American publishers to get a blu-ray for us!

Get your blow horn ready because it tough to keep some people awake through that.

I like you, Corn. Don't make this difficult.

TheChaos0

I would have liked Hyouka more if the ending felt more satisfying.

It's more satisfying than ending in SAO at least!

I thought it was a good end point, given it was basically, well want to know more...guess what Papa Kadokawa has? -hangles Hyouka LNs-

It reminded me of Haruhi ending. Well, that was nice, can I have more? And then we got the Disappearance movie...which was a bit of the same only worse!

TheChaos0

Seriously....

Open-ended, subtle, "use your imagination" endings don't work for me, regardless of how beautiful it may look.

Then you lack imagination. ;)

Actually, when was the last time we had an anime that was based on an ongoing work and has a truly satisfying ending?
When was the last time we has an anime with satisfying ending?!

JulianImp

SAO's definitely not the worst series ever by a wide margin, but it tends to get hated on because it's quite popular and did several really questionable things that we've discussed many times before (rape threats to define villains and too much focus on Kirito always hogging the spotlight and saving the day to the detriment of every other character in the show).

The Sword Art arc looked promising early on, but then it wasn't that much about how people adapted to the new world as it actually was about how Kirito won all the girls and was generally awesome, which was a big letdown for me. Then the elf game came up with all its unique faerie tribes and magic only to never really use them outside of one or two episodes (and not in a really meaningful or interesting way), and the exact same thing happened with GGO. The setting was barely explored, the whole "dude looks like a girl" thing was only mentioned by random people in a single episode, and it was all but dropped once Shinon realized it, and we even had ridiculous plot devices such as the money-less Kirito stumbling upon an "impossible" mini-game with a huge accumulated jackpot that he wins on his first try and allows him to buy whatever the fuck he wants. I mean, having him do odd jobs to get enough money to buy gear probably would've sucked, but throwing infinite money his way in a way that hghlights he's the chosen one and will always succeed were everyone else fails sucks big time for me.

However, outside of Kirito showing up near the end (because he has to remind us he runs the show or something), Mother's Rosario was IMO the best arc in the anime adaptation because of how it had him actually step down and allowed somebody else to get the spotlight. Asuna not being an infallible character unlike him also meant that her arc was far more appealing and relateable, which was a big plus, even if the whole thing about the terminally ill girl thing was kind of cheap.

Syrinx

1. For some, SAO may be the worst anime they've ever seen because the show is popular and has ubiquitous presence across anime communities and therefore more likely to be seen by someone than a worse show that was forgotten the instance it came out and had no fanfare whatsoever.

2. "The worst anime I've ever seen" is for me to decide and me alone.

*Note: I haven't watched SAO and don't intend to*

Seriously....

Open-ended, subtle, "use your imagination" endings don't work for me, regardless of how beautiful they may look.

Not to be rude regarding your own personal tastes, but this is a very close-minded attitude to have.

Actually, when was the last time we had an anime that was based on an ongoing work and has a truly satisfying ending?

I was satisfied with the endings of:

Gurren Lagann
Madoka Magica
G Gundam
Gunbuster
Evangelion
Majin Bone
GaoGaiGar

and a lot more. That's just to name a few.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SAO was by far the most posted about show on TOONAMI in the thread. It was almost all Nico-Nico/twitch chat level spam of pure rage by dozens of people.

Some of the reactions to Super Aids and the villain being a monster were incredible.

The Super AIDS thing is entirely plausible and scary. HIV could mutate into a new incurable form but they were acting like this was completely impossible and silly. Worse still was the overreaction to the villain of the Elf season being a rapey jackass trying to marry into a powerful and connected family. This is a tale as old as time and should be disregarded as hacky instead of denouncing this guy as the vilest evil who ever did anything and that SAO totally crossed the line of good taste.

Tonton

Mob Psycho ending felt pretty satisfying even thought it also builds up for more to come

Orange was pretty satisfying last year too if we're talking about in general

Rakugo s1 also was pretty satisfying for me and maybe plays part in why I'm not caring about s2 as much as it

TheChaos0

Not to be rude regarding your own personal tastes, but this is a very close-minded attitude to have.

I was satisfied with the endings of:

Gurren Lagann
Madoka Magica
G Gundam
Gunbuster
Evangelion
Majin Bone
GaoGaiGar

and a lot more. That's just to name a few.

Congratulations?

;) As long as we are talking about EoE here.

In the meanwhile, I was trying to think of something myself.

From still ongoing, it would have to be Hunter x Hunter (2011). Now if you said the manga ended on the last episode, I would have believed you.

Bungo Stray Dogs.

The Great Passage.

Ooohh ye. And I watched as it was airing and already totally forgot about it....oops...

Quite a few actually. Hyouka even of it was a tease, had a fantastic ending imo. Recently I finished Ushio and Tora and that had a good ending. Also even if open ended, stuff like MHA and Seven deadly sins have satisfying endings.

To name other shows with good endings.
Poco's udon world
Barakamon
Tanaka-kun
Orange
GBF
Etc etc....

Cornbread78

I can name a few recent examples of good endings :

Ongoing:
- Akagami no Shirayuki-hime
- Amaama to Inazuma
- Poco's Udon World
- Actually, I am (2nd season, when?)
- Ore Monogatari
- New Game
- Shinometa
- Yamada-kun and the 7 witches

In general:
- Plastic Memories
- Erased
- Orange
- Comet Lucifer
- Etotama
- Your Lie in April

Recent endings that have pissed me off:
- Gate
- Asterisk
- Calvary
- Heavy Object (only because I want more dammit)
- Hundred
- Log Horizon
- Alderamin of the Sky
- Magical Girl Raising Project
- Rewrite (VN)
- Utawarerumono (VN)
- SNAFU

Close minded for not liking that style? Oh well that is my opinion based on my personal preference. I do not prefer these types of endings.

LOL. Believe it or not, I liked Hyouka as well. I'm just still bitter at that ending.... such a tease. But as Nintendoman said, I'm just "close minded" to those types of endings.... meh, lol

NOT FOR LONG

MOCA GETS A DARK SIDE

NIICHAN GETS A DARK SIDE

YOU GET A DARK SIDE

YOU GET A DARK SIDE

EVERYONE IN THE STUDIO AUDIENCE HAS A 100% PAID FOR DARK SIDE WAITING OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif
It would actually be REALLY cool if the older guy broke too. To see the typical nice guy become scum too after being too trusting. I don't think he would have the backbone for it though. Or imagine, if this was all in line to get the biggest plot twist, in which he knows what's happening and is doing it all on purpose. You know, leading Hanabi on, the teacher on, etc, etc. I wouldn't put it past this show to do something like that.

Get your blow horn ready because it tough to keep some people awake through that.
Bruh!

I feel like a fight breaks out about Hyouka at least once a month, so it's hardly like it's been forgotten.

(People who don't love Hyouka are bad people)
Yeah, as you can see Corn is the instigator.

I'm sorry, Cornbread, but Hyouka is better than SAO. I actually have no strong feelings towards SAO. I dont hate it, but I don't think it's the best thing ever either. Hyouka on the other hand is really, really good and I will defend its honor!

It just depends on your tolerance on your level of seeing other people emotionally suffer all the time. I started, and now I have to see this s**t to its end.

Yes! Everyone go and watch Hyouka, and demand the North American publishers to get a blu-ray for us!

Thank you.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When asked about Sword Art Online:
Meatloaf said, "I'd do anything for love, but I won't watch that!"​
Paul McCartney said, "Why did I give it a go, I don't know, I couldn't say. I've watched something wrong, now I long for yesterday."​
Bill Joel said, “I believe this is killing me." As the smile ran away from his face.​
Benny Andersson said, “Gave it a chance, I won’t lie, it was the worst time of my life. Made me hurl, especially that one scene. It is ever so obscene.”​

Cornbread78

SAO was by far the most posted about show on TOONAMI in the thread. It was almost all Nico-Nico/twitch chat level spam of pure rage by dozens of people.

Some of the reactions to Super Aids and the villain being a monster were incredible.

The Super AIDS thing is entirely plausible and scary. HIV could mutate into a new incurable form but they were acting like this was completely impossible and silly. Worse still was the overreaction to the villain of the Elf season being a rapey jackass trying to marry into a powerful and connected family. This is a tale as old as time and should be disregarded as hacky instead of denouncing this guy as the vilest evil who ever did anything and that SAO totally crossed the line of good taste.

Not a single lie is detected in this post.
golfclap.gif
ujLUw7X.gif

It would actually be REALLY cool if the older guy broke too. To see the typical nice guy become scum too after being too trusting. I don't think he would have the backbone for it though. Or imagine, if this was all in line to get the biggest plot twist, in which he knows what's happening and is doing it all on purpose. You know, leading Hanabi on, the teacher on, etc, etc. I wouldn't put it past this show to do something like that.

You see, the next set of ships is the scariest of all.

- Hanabi with that
older guy
- Mugi with
Moca

This is bad bad news....

TheChaos0

In general:
- Comet Lucifer

Close minded for not liking that style? Oh well that is my opinion based on my personal preference. I do not prefer these types of endings.

LOL. Believe it or not, I liked Hyouka as well. I'm just still bitter at that ending.... such a tease. But as Nintendoman said, I'm just "close minded" to those types of endings.... meh, lol

I just remembered that I've started watching Comet Lucifer and then forgot about it completely! Maybe I should finish it up.

I'm saying you're close-minded because no matter what, if a show ends in an open-ended, leave-it-to-the-viewer to decide format, that's an automatic low-grade score for you?

It's one thing to have personal taste on that kind of storytelling but being super rigid on this matter is another thing.

Like, I don't like horror stuff at all. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy some horror elements in my shows. Madoka has horror elements, Jojo has horror elements, etc.

I generally don't enjoy CG Mecha stuff, but that can change depending on how it's done like in Danball Senki, whose CG mechs I greatly enjoyed.

It's called being flexible.

Uhh...these two things seem entirely independent of each other.

e: lol goddammit BGBW.

I know, haha. I'm just making fun of memes.

Cornbread78

I'm saying you're close-minded because no matter what, if a show ends in an open-ended, leave-it-to-the-viewer to decide format, that's an automatic low-grade score for you?
It's one thing to have personal taste on that kind of storytelling but being super rigid on this matter is another thing.
Like, I don't like horror stuff at all. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy some horror elements in my shows. Madoka has horror elements, Jojo has horror elements, etc.
I generally don't enjoy CG Mecha stuff, but that can change depending on how it's done like in Danball Senki, whose CG mechs I greatly enjoyed.

It's funny because once in awhile I DO like those types of things happening and can forgive it, but for the most part, it drives me crazy (Hyouka especially/ I will not forgive!)

I can't remember the show, but I just watched one with a wide open ending that was actually pretty well done.... maybe Gosick? I'll try to dig it up.

Chindogg

- Gate
- Asterisk
- Calvary
- Hundred
- Log Horizon
- Alderamin of the Sky
- Rewrite (VN)
- Utawarerumono (VN)
- SNAFU

To be fair, at least there's more story via LNs and manga to wrap these up better. I'm still hoping for more seasons of most of these so I guess we'll see.

LotusHD

Banned
Man the more I read about everyone's responses to Scum's Wish the less I want to see it. I hate seeing people hurt by terrible people, especially sexually. Just bothers me to a particular level.

I certainly don't feel inclined to recommend it to anyone, that's for sure lol

Cornbread78

Akane's Boy Toy is the most well adjusted human in Scum's Wish

Dude just wants to
tap some young virgin a$$
; typical male in their 20's for you... Kinda creepy at the same time, explanation below)

Let's see if he gets his way next week...

I love it love it love it LOL.
I am scum too.

I don't know. Both scenes were disturbing for different reason.
- Hanabi's was disturbing because of the implications and how he was actively chasing after a HS kid and being her teacher's boy toy.. Plus, he can feed off how conflicted she is. He came off as a total child predator.
- Mugi is disturbing
because he know how much she likes him and wants to have his way with her, just because he can, because he thinks Hanabi is "cheating" on him (which she just may)?

Ascheroth

There are different kinds of 'open-ended endings' though.
Looking at corns list
- Gate
- Asterisk
- Calvary
- Hundred
- Log Horizon
- Alderamin of the Sky
- Rewrite (VN)
- Utawarerumono (VN)
- SNAFU
shows that 9 out of 11 of those are ongoing LN adaptions and the other 2 are VN adaptions. And those usually aren't the typical 'open-ended' stuff like, say, Gurren Lagann, those are usually 'we've adapted a couple books, now fuck you and go read the source if you want more, because lol if you think you'll ever get a second season hahaha'

Which shows that the (easy) solution to this problem is to simply not watch as many ongoing LN adaptions if closure matters to you, because there's like 1 out of 10 that get's popular enough for more seasons and probably another 1 that manages to arrive at a decent stopping point.

Paltheos

- SNAFU

I thought it an appropriate ending to the season. SNAFU's always been about these maladjusts trying to grow up and kept together by the club but always getting lost along the way by some teenage problem and struggling to work through it. The ending hits all those beats and ties them together with a neat bow. What about it is a problem? That it ended lol? I know, I feel the same way too about SNAFU.

TheChaos0

It's funny because once in awhile I DO like those types of things happening and can forgive it, but for the most part, it drives me crazy (Hyouka especially/ I will not forgive!)

I can't remember the show, but I just watched one with a wide open ending that was actually pretty well done.... maybe Gosick? I'll try to dig it up.

Gosick was not open ended. You might be misremembered things.

I don't get why Hyouka ending would even drive you crazy. It teases some potential events in their adult life. You already know what's the current deal with the characters. There's no overarching storyline that needed to be finished. It reached the point where it could have ended at any time.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) :p

Yes, definitely. I did mention it. It was especially surprising because a) it's shounen b) it was essentially the real adventure begins now type of moment. Now if only Bleach ended at that exact same moment.... but who cares about Bleach ;D

Cornbread78

stuff like, say, Gurren Lagann, those are usually 'we've adapted a couple books, now fuck you and go read the source if you want more, because lol if you think you'll ever get a second season hahaha'

I was just referring to endings in general.

Don't get me started on the TTGL bullshit ending for the 500th; I love the show and we'll leave it at that. I just don't want to upset Nintendoman anymore today than I already have with my Hyouka slander, lol.

but yeah, your second reference are the endings that hurt the most. Those "Go read the manga/LN" ending hurt the most.
I would like to strangle the fu(kers that do that with 0 fu(ks given, lol. Looking at you SNAFU/Alderamin

Teacher route when
I would pay top dollar for an English version of the Vita game to repeatedly play through that route.

Gosick was not open ended. You might be misremembered things.

I don't get why Hyouka ending would even drive you crazy. It teases some potential events in their adult life. You already know what's the current deal with the characters. There's no overarching storyline that needed to be finished. It reached the point where it could have ended at any time.

All they had to do is add
a confession, an embrace, anything rather than dream/speculate about the future, but not verbalize it. I'm sorry, screw the artsy crap, just give me what we've waited 24 episodes for..

- Gate
- Asterisk
- Calvary
- Hundred
- Log Horizon
- Alderamin of the Sky
- Rewrite (VN)
- Utawarerumono (VN)
- SNAFU
Rewrite hasn't even ended yet. Are you really mad about split cour shows?

Cornbread78

Rewrite hasn't even ended yet. Are you really mad about split cour shows?

Nah, the ending to that last route was awful. I still haven't started watching this season yet because the show is definitely made as Rewrite LN fanservice that doesn't make much sense to normies watching it, lol.

Then stop watching LN adaptations?

IT's a tough habit to break because they are often fun/entertaining shows.

Nah, the ending to that last route was awful. I still haven't started watching this season yet because the show is definitely made as Rewrite LN fanservice that doesn't make much sense to normies watching it, lol.

This is more of an issue of it being a poor adaptation overall than a problem with the ending.

Actually that's not true. WWE apparently made an insultingly low offer to NJPW for their content on WWE Network to the point of the CEO of NJPW actively pushing into the US market starting this year because of how pissed he was.

That's interesting to learn. So I can assume that choosing the WWE as the antagonist organization was deliberate on their part.

Puruzi

Banned
It's fucked up but I snorted a little when that one guy slipped but hit his head before falling off the beam. Something about how it looked made it a tiny bit comical

TheChaos0

I was just referring to endings in general.

Don't get me started on the TTGL bullshit ending for the 500th; I love the show and we'll leave it at that. I just don't want to upset Nintendoman anymore today than I already have with my Hyouka slander, lol.

but yeah, your second reference are the endings that hurt the most. Those "Go read the manga/LN" ending hurt the most.
I would like to strangle the fu(kers that do that with 0 fu(ks given, lol. Looking at you SNAFU/Alderamin

I would pay top dollar for an English version of the Vita game to repeatedly play through that route.

All they had to do is add
a confession, an embrace, anything rather than dream/speculate about the future, but not verbalize it. I'm sorry, screw the artsy crap, just give me what we've waited 24 episodes for..

Confessions happen so rarely! You always have to assume. You should have learnt by now! Most of the stories are all about the journey not the destination. Hyouka was a great journey with a decent end, not ideal but decent storywise. The episode itself on its own was great. All the "artsy crap" was one of the reasons why overall the show was good. It's pretty superficial to just look at the ending like that. If you look at the dream sequence as something that will actually happen, then it speaks louder than an actual confession, because you already know how the characters are feeling, there's no need to say anything. This avoid the problem of saying it now, because it will probably happen down the line in the LN which would interfere with any future season.
that won't happen...but you got to play it safe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom