• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Fisico

So I just bought my first pair of running shoes(Ghost 9) and I like them but it seems I might have messed up with the size. Sometimes, I feel some of my fingers slightly touching the front of the shoe. I should've gotten a larger size, but I'll check if I can live with this and I can adjust by tightening the lace so my feet won't slide.

One important thing in running is that if you want to target longer distance (let's say running for more than 1 hour) it's better to have shoes that are slightly bigger than your usual shoes because the feet tend to swell after a while (don't worry it quickly goes back to its usual form afterwards lol).

Anyway the best thing is to try running with it, if you feel too much inconvience after a few run/weeks then change.

Trying to figure out if it's smart to try for a 5K in three weeks. I've only been running on a treadmill this year, and have gotten up to 11 minutes straight. Not recently though, as I got sick and took a couple weeks off. Tuesday I was back up to 7:30 and could have gone longer.

Only reason I'm even considering it is it would be my birthday. I've never done a race before.

Depends on you general fitness, what do you do other than running?

Fistwell

Just wanted to mention, I love when running is brought up in general fitness OT threads, you always get casual claims of elite running fitness. I still remember that 13Km in 30min guy. In this here new one we're getting an 8Km in 25min. That's a low 15:xx 5K... off of 8Km/week. World class talent.

Just wanted to mention, I love when running is brought up in general fitness OT threads, you always get casual claims of elite running fitness. I still remember that 13Km in 30min guy. In this here new one we're getting an 8Km in 25min. That's a low 15:xx 5K... off of 8Km/week. World class talent.

I think most of those claims stem from people not really having a measure of the distance they are running. Once you get a feel for the routes you take and such predictions and estimations tend to fall in line with reality.

Just a bit of upper body weight training. I am decidedly overweight but have been shrinking.

I like the cut of your jib for a few weeks to prep for a 5K race is far from optimal. You need to get enough total mileage each week. At the very least, start walking everywhere - try clocking 12-15K steps a day.

On another note, it's hard to take anyone's PB on any internet forum seriously.

What bothers me even more is when in these threads all running is simply dumbed down to "cardio".

Yeah, like all running is identical and provide the same stimuli and adaptation. Just like weight lifting is only "lifting" and you can do whatever as long as you lift stuff.

Beside, we all know cardio is useless and bad for testosterone.
HIIT is all that matters for GAINS.

On another note, it's hard to take anyone's PB on any internet forum seriously.

It's hard to take anyone's time seriously and nobody cares anyway.

If you race it's either:
A)only for you, personal time goal or fitness goal
B)against the guy in front of you in the race

If you run to impress some random people on internet, you have a sad, boring life. It's like bragging about your salary.

Kind of bummed. In the middle of training for my first marathon in October. Was supposed to have a 14 mile run today. Would have been my longest distance to date (I've run a few halfs) but I've had a bit of a plantar fasciitis issue crop up in my left foot during a mid-week run.

I've been icing and rolling it and it feels better, in fact great at times, but a couple times a day it'll make me hobble around. I think I can take a few more days off and treat it and hopefully be good to go again mid-week and back at my long run next weekend. I just really wanted to get out there today but no sense risking it. Plantar fasciitis can be a real nuisance.

Fistwell

Ran 39:15 gross / 39:05 chip time. Course was short around 200m, so only good for about 4min/Km but whatever, good enough for me.
Vm0c.jpg

Wm0c.jpg
Now it's all beer and ice cream woo!

mdsfx

Ran 39:15 gross / 39:05 chip time. Course was short around 200m, so only good for about 4min/Km but whatever, good enough for me.

Nicely done! That's blazing fast.

Had a 14-mile "long run" today as I start ramping up mileage for my first marathon in October (Chicago). It was already 80°F and 90% humidity this morning with plenty of sun, which was NOT fun. I didn't have quite enough water with me and I started fading at mile 10. Next week is 16 miles which is my distance PR. Everything beyond that seems like torture to be honest, but I signed up, so that's that.

Fistwell

Nicely done!
Thanks! :)

Had a 14-mile "long run" today as I start ramping up mileage for my first marathon in October (Chicago). It was already 80°F and 90% humidity this morning with plenty of sun, which was NOT fun. I didn't have quite enough water with me and I started fading at mile 10. Next week is 16 miles which is my distance PR. Everything beyond that seems like torture to be honest, but I signed up, so that's that.
You still have some time but you're doing well to push the distance. I wouldn't worry about pace too much right now in the heat, it'll come back when things cool down. Best of luck!

Edit: Btw, what's your goal for that marathon? And, following a plan or just winging it?

mdsfx

Edit: Btw, what's your goal for that marathon? And, following a plan or just winging it?
My goal is under 4. My 13.1 pace is 1:42:00. Based on the plans I've looked at, and my triathlon training schedule, I've laid out a basic plan with a pattern of 2 weeks with increasingly longer "long runs" followed by a recovery week, eventually leading up to a final 23-mile run, then a 2-week pre-race taper. I have threshold training during the week.

Not sure if that's a good plan, but admittedly my Triathlon races get priority.

Edit: I'm open to suggestions!

Fistwell

I wouldn't presume to give advice on marathon training. Lots of other people here could help, though. I do think you have the right idea in terms of stretching distance. I also think you're being conservative for your target time, but that's probably the smarter way to approach your first M. Running my first in October as well, not really sure what I'm doing tbqh.

Congrats! Very nice time.

My goal is under 4. My 13.1 pace is 1:42:00. Based on the plans I've looked at, and my triathlon training schedule, I've laid out a basic plan with a pattern of 2 weeks with increasingly longer "long runs" followed by a recovery week, eventually leading up to a final 23-mile run, then a 2-week pre-race taper. I have threshold training during the week.

Not sure if that's a good plan, but admittedly my Triathlon races get priority.

Edit: I'm open to suggestions!

Sounds sensible enough, I think you have the right idea with the gradual mileage build-up and having some de-loading weeks in between. Also you lift right? So you'll know your body recovery times and such pretty well.

Have you done a pre-race taper before?

Never. Well, I did take a week off before my first half in 2015, but I've never done it since. Any advice?

I usually get anxious due to the reduced training volume. If you find yourself under such psychosis you have to remember rest is of paramount importance those weeks. Walking a bit, reading, videogames help to keep my mind off things. Gotta get your alternative hobbies ready ;)

Edit: Distance-wise you can either do a linear or exponential reduction of volume. Also I usually try to never run slower than projected race pace. After the race I'd take a week off and then do an inverse of the taper.

mdsfx

I usually get anxious due to the reduced training volume. If you find yourself under such psychosis you have to remember rest is of paramount importance those weeks. Walking a bit, reading, videogames help to keep my mind off things. Gotta get your alternative hobbies ready ;)

Edit: Distance-wise you can either do a linear or exponential reduction of volume. Also I usually try to never run slower than projected race pace. After the race I'd take a week off and then do an inverse of the taper.

I always have swimming as a fallback if I really start to freak out, but I'm usually OK with rest after having tried to push myself through injury and illness one too many times. As far as pace, I've been holding at 8:30/mi for my long runs which is my intended marathon pace.

Thanks!

One important thing in running is that if you want to target longer distance (let's say running for more than 1 hour) it's better to have shoes that are slightly bigger than your usual shoes because the feet tend to swell after a while (don't worry it quickly goes back to its usual form afterwards lol).

Anyway the best thing is to try running with it, if you feel too much inconvience after a few run/weeks then change.
I tried calling the store and the guy who answered wouldn't ask his supervisor if I could replace it so I figured it was probably a long shot so I forgot about it. Anyway, I ran yesterday for more than an hour and I actually didn't feel any issues with the shoes so I'll be keeping it. You can be sure I'll be buying larger shoes next time.

As for my run, my 10 km is this Sunday. Yesterday I ran for 11 kilometers and I only walked starting on the 9 kilometer mark. I think I'm ready? Man, being thirsty is something, though, so I'm hoping that what they say about there being drinking stations on the actual run is true.

Congratulations! I thought it was actually just 200 meters so I was confused with the time you provided, until I saw the photos. Great time, I can only dream of being that fast.

Fisico

I tried calling the store and the guy who answered wouldn't ask his supervisor if I could replace it so I figured it was probably a long shot so I forgot about it. Anyway, I ran yesterday for more than an hour and I actually didn't feel any issues with the shoes so I'll be keeping it. You can be sure I'll be buying larger shoes next time.

As for my run, my 10 km is this Sunday. Yesterday I ran for 11 kilometers and I only walked starting on the 9 kilometer mark. I think I'm ready? Man, being thirsty is something, though, so I'm hoping that what they say about there being drinking stations on the actual run is true.

Great !
For race if they follow the rules they have to put drinking station every 5km, and put food if it's a >10k I think.

Cocorico docteur !

FooTemps

Practicing negative splits:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1...n_type_map=["fitness.runs"]&action_ref_map=[]

Decent pace for an easy run, but I couldn't really settle into my goal of 10:15 to 10:30 min/mi for the slow miles and 9:15 to 9:30 for the faster miles. I made it a goal to not look at my phone at all except at mile 2 and mile 5 so I can practice pacing by feel rather than watching the timer like a hawk.

Also been trying to up cadence so I can get better speed for the long term, how do you guys/gals make changes to your form so it sticks? Any good tricks?

Fistwell

Congratulations!

Cocorico docteur !
Thx and allez les bleus!

I had a sore leg on Saturday so I took it and sunday off, and now I'm just struggling to get off the couch and get running again.
Oh come on, get off your ass and go get some fresh air! Just go easy on the pace and have fun, you'll feel great about it once you're done. :D

Edit: Bonus pic.
That look of intelligence... almost human... as if it could talk....

Linius

Amazing time for that 10K fistwell!

I actually signed up for a 5 miler (8km) in Amsterdam the other week. Dam tot Dam by night. Did the day edition (16 miles) the past 3 years and switching things around now to run with a friend. After an almost 2 month break I picked it up again on july 13 and I'm gonna try to do two runs a week from now on till september. Helps that a friend who lives across the street needs some training for a 10K so we can run together every now and then. Let's see how this goes...

I actually signed up for a 5 miler (8km) in Amsterdam the other week. Dam tot Dam by night. Did the day edition (16 miles) the past 3 years and switching things around now to run with a friend. After an almost 2 month break I picked it up again on july 13 and I'm gonna try to do two runs a week from now on till september. Helps that a friend who lives across the street needs some training for a 10K so we can run together every now and then. Let's see how this goes...

I did Dam2Dam by night last year... It's a great event, have fun.

Fisico

Did you choose that one on purpose or is that your usual face when you're at your maximum :p?

I often look pretty ok while running, but at my last marathon I bumped into this monstruosity, sure doesn't make you want to run again looking at that

Fistwell

That's the worst I could find. It does look like I'm trying doesn't it? :)

Thanks, Linius! Best of luck on getting back into it.

"If you don't have water, carbs or protein don't talk to me"

You'll get back into the groove in no time at all!

Linius

Yeah getting back into it ain't that hard. Never dropped below 5:30/km on runs up to 10K. It's just that my current lifestyle isn't one that really motivates me to actually run two times a week. I'm terribly inconsistent when it comes to running haha.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
wtf

On Week 4, Day 2 of my Hal Higdon 10K Novice Plan and ran the two miles in 15:22 (7:41 pace). WHILE HUNGOVER. Just a couple weeks ago I was hard-pressed to get my time to 9:30 pace.

this is fucking awesome are you kidding me

Now on Week 7, Day 2, and today I decided to go for the same route and hauled ass and managed my fastest two-mile run!

14:28, for a pace of 7:14/mile.

Shaved off almost a whole minute in less than a month!

Fistwell

Yeah that's very nice progress Boogie!

Edit: So, two things,
1. If we by any chance have gaf runners in Genova, Torino, Pisa/Pontedera, I'm coming to you on my italian mini-tour next week, holler at me if you want to run together.
2. This weird thing happened last night when running back home. Was going to be lazy relaxed, I'm doing easy runs all week. There's a 5km trail section starting outside of work, going back towards the city, that I run through on my way home. If you're on it, you usually keep going all the way, nothing left or right but fields. I was standing around the entrance waiting for my GPS to catch signal when some dude passes by getting onto the trail. One of the over-equipped guys, compression everything everywhere, flashy sunglasses, headband+visor, backpack+fanny pack, 3 different drinking bottles sticking out, gels dropping out of his pockets, etc. The way things played out was straight out of one of those fake, troll-LRC threads. I gave him some time after I caught signal because I didn't want to be the stalker kind of guy or make it look like I'm racing him or whatever, I just want peace and quiet, I want to be left alone on my sociopathic delicious lonely-time running. I start out at relaxed easy pace. Still feeling the race from last sunday a bit. Somehow, I'm slowly catching up to him. I slow down. I'm still catching up. At which point I'm like fuck it, I'll pick up the pace, pass him, be on my way home, aint got time for this. So I pick up the pace. Progressively, as I get closer, he picks up the pace too. WTF? Is that dude racing me, what is this? By the time I caught up with him, just to keep pace with him, I had picked mine up by over a minute/k. what? I accelerate a bit more to peel him off. That fucking sucked. I was looking for a relaxed run to keep recovering from last weekend, I ended up having a cple of kilometers at not-quite-tempo-effort-but-not-far-off. Not the end of the world, just, what's that guy fucking problem? Did he think I was racing him? I just didn't want to hang around... People are fucking weirdoes. He's probably bitching about me today too. ("So I pass this idiot as he's catching his breath (GPS signal, bro, I was catching GPS signal!), next thing I know he's right behind me! So I accelerate because I'm socially awkward, he accelerates too wtf!")

Fistwell

At some point I was wondering whether he just happened to be doing some sort of workout, progression, interval, whatever. But the way he progressively changed pace right as I was catching up... I mean it's possible, but what are the odds? He also quickly dropped down after I passed him. I should put the run up on strava and check flyovers. With any luck he's on there (doubt it) and I can stalk him some more.

mdsfx

...He's probably bitching about me today too. ("So I pass this idiot as he's catching his breath (GPS signal, bro, I was catching GPS signal!), next thing I know he's right behind me! So I accelerate because I'm socially awkward, he accelerates too wtf!")

Lol. That is a bit strange. I do the same thing to keep my distance from others. Seems like he was being competitive? Which is kinda of funny since neither of you would know how many miles you've run already and how many you had to go, meaning paces and goals could be all over the place. "I totally scorched this guy halfway through his 20-mile run when I went out for my daily 5k"

titch

At some point I was wondering whether he just happened to be doing some sort of workout, progression, interval, whatever. But the way he progressively changed pace right as I was catching up... I mean it's possible, but what are the odds? He also quickly dropped down after I passed him. I should put the run up on strava and check flyovers. With any luck he's on there (doubt it) and I can stalk him some more.

Awe man that just reminded me.........

Last year i ordered a head torch for my late night runs from Amazon. When it arrived i was raring to try it out and headed out for my usual slow easy 10k run and i was religiously keeping my heart rate below zone 3.

Anyway the early part of the run is a long pretty flat straight and in the distance i can see someone else who is obviously very very drunk as they keep staggering to the side pretty badly i must say.

As i catch up to them i take a wide birth to prevent an unwanted collision and on i go, i thought i heard him say something as i passed but as i had my headphones on i just ignored it.

So i am almost about .5k on from when i passed the guy and i dont know what it was but i was suddenly aware of someone being behind me, glancing round its this drunk reaching out for me. I panicked and literally sprinted for about another .5k till he was out of site by which time my easy run was messed up so i took a shorter route home.

I aint the biggest of guys hence the username and didnt want to get caught up in anything........

mdsfx

I started running 3 years ago in a random shoe that i thought looked cool (Mizuno Wave Inspire) without any research. After many injuries, I eventually went to Road Runner sports to have my stride analyzed, where they decided I needed a stability shoe (Saucony hurricane iso). I also fell for the molded in$ole$, which honestly felt better, but who knows.

Since then I've been injury free, going through multiple pairs of stability Sauconys, but for all I know, most of my previous injuries were from being new to running and possibly from picking a random shoe. Well I'm due for new shoes and my inserts are worn out. I kind of want to give a lighter, neutral shoe a try, without their expensive molded insoles.

Is this a bad idea? Is there any merit to using a stability shoe? Are inserts a sham?

TLDR: wondering if the stability thing is BS and I should run in a neutral shoe.

Fisico

I started running 3 years ago in a random shoe that i thought looked cool (Mizuno Wave Inspire) without any research. After many injuries, I eventually went to Road Runner sports to have my stride analyzed, where they decided I needed a stability shoe (Saucony hurricane iso). I also fell for the molded in$ole$, which honestly felt better, but who knows.

Since then I've been injury free, going through multiple pairs of stability Sauconys, but for all I know, most of my previous injuries were from being new to running and possibly from picking a random shoe. Well I'm due for new shoes and my inserts are worn out. I kind of want to give a lighter, neutral shoe a try, without their expensive molded insoles.

Is this a bad idea? Is there any merit to using a stability shoe? Are inserts a sham?

TLDR: wondering if the stability thing is BS and I should run in a neutral shoe.

No harm trying, you should just keep your older shoes in case it doesn't turn out good with the new ones (that you can resell after if you barely used them in the end)

mdsfx

Is there somewhere else you can get your gait checked out and see what they say as a second opinion?

No harm trying, you should just keep your older shoes in case it doesn't turn out good with the new ones (that you can resell after if you barely used them in the end)

Yeah I could try a different store. Might do it tomorrow. These stability shoes just seem bulky. Good point on keeping the current shoes just in case.

sixghost

Are the shoes/inserts you are using now too expensive? If you've gone so long injury-free, why would you change?

FooTemps

I know that there are smaller local stores in my area that call in sports therapists and running professionals for workshop type events. Usually they'll do an assessment of strength, flexibility, biomechanics, and range of motion and then come up with recommendations for injury prevention or improvement towards a goal. Maybe you could cross-reference the Roadrunner analysis with something like that?

As for support/stack/drop: It's definitely real and there's definitely a benefit to matching your shoe to your biomechanics. Wearing the right shoes is like a damn cheat code and wearing the wrong shoes is downright poisonous to your running habits.

Top Bottom