• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

Sean

Banned
Pricing is steep, but I'm in for the base model X.

I've always wanted the Plus features (battery life, improved camera, portrait mode) but the device was simply too large for me. Now I get all those benefits in pretty much the same form factor as my regular 7. Seems perfect for me.

Calion

lol I didn't even think about grabbing a phone and then pointing it at the owner's face to unlock it. that's baaaaaaaaaaaaad

Yup. I won't touch a FaceID phone until TouchID is on there too. I look forward to when you need both to unlock your phone

Vyer

It's a beautiful phone, but I'm iffy on the notch and unsure about faceid. Might this just go to the 8 when it's time to upgrade and see what's in store for the X next year.

Pricing is steep, but I'm in for the base model X.

I've always wanted the Plus features (battery life, improved camera, portrait mode) but the device was simply too large for me. Now I get all those benefits in pretty much the same form factor as my regular 7. Seems perfect for me.
Same for me. Plus I'm really ready to move on from my 6.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
My bad, I don't use it ever so I didn't know NFC brought it up automatically. With that as an option then, wouldn't it be safe to assume the X works the same way? So you don't have to press anything, take it out, put it against the reader, and look at the phone once at some point to authorize it.

What they should have done with the notch is not extend the ears, and just have the left and right always have a black background. It's an OLED screen so nobody would be able to tell, and just have the time/battery always showing.

no they specifically said you bring up apple pay with a double click of the lock button (like the watch). not 100% sure if it's security or battery.. probably security I'd guess.

Yup. I won't touch a FaceID phone until TouchID is on there too. I look forward to when you need both to unlock your phone

it's never coming back. unless faceid is a disaster (it won't be) there is zero incentive for apple to bring it back. if something like the ubiquity of the headphone jack didn't hurt sales, no way touchid will ever come back with a practical 1:1 replacement.

Ashhong

no they specifically said you bring up apple pay with a double click of the lock button (like the watch). not 100% sure if it's security or battery.. probably security I'd guess.

Interesting. Don't know how pressing a button is more secure than automatic but oh well, doesn't make a difference to me.

Alienfan

I really hope sales for this phone are terrible because Apple needs a big old slap on the wrist for making this cost more than the MacBook Air in NZ. About 2x what I payed for my S7 Edge around launch, I really hope other flagships don't follow

mackattk

I'm telling you, as a person who has a phone with facial recognition capabilities, that having to loom at the phone in every situation to unlock the phone will get old and annoying veeery fast.

Yup. with a regular fingerprint scanner the phone is unlocked and ready to go as soon as I pick it up, or don't pick it up if I just want to unlock it while I am working to check on something real fast and leave the phone on my desk. If Apple can figure out how to get touch ID working under the screen I will be sold instantly.

Would be nice if they had an iPhone X with a smaller 4.7"-5" screen. Having to swipe down on the right to access quick settings seems like it would be kind of a stretch doing it one handed.

This is different tech than all of those. So your use case examples aren't as relevant. So it remains to be seen how it will work in real world use. We'll just have to find out over time.

Eh, you would still have to pick it up, angle it to your face and get it with a certain distance of your face to unlock it. Might be different tech but would be the same motion.

I don’t like how unlocking with your face only unlocks the lock screen - you still have to swipe up to actually start using the phone. My current iPhone 7 has the home screen up by the time the phone is out of my pocket. Hopefully that’s an option in Settings, to automatically go to the home screen (or previous app) from the lock screen.

Septimius

Decided to check how the iPhone X would've looked with a bezel on top instead of the notch. I think it looks a lot better.

FUg1Nzj.jpg

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I am surprised not many people complaining about the back and that camera bump + position. Looks like Chinese knock off.

borghe

Interesting. Don't know how pressing a button is more secure than automatic but oh well, doesn't make a difference to me.

for the watch the concern is that you are walking past a terminal and someone grabs a payment.. (once the watch is unlocked it stays unlocked as long as your biometrics are active)

obviously the phone is different, but your face being "present" and the phone being out of your pocket could(?) lead to something similar? With TouchID you needed proximity and your finger on the home button. In theory with X you just need proximity.

13ruce

Banned
1200 in EU? LFMAO.
I will stick with android no way i would pay over 750 or so euro's for a phone 1200 is just ridiculous. Samsung and others probably will still have better specs and be cheaper.

I wonder how much the next Beats By Dre will cost....lol Those always have lower specs + pay for brand too and apple bought em a few years ago....

I guess this kinda happens when a company has monopoly i doubt building those phones even costed half that price per unit heck possibly even not a quarter or 1 of a third 3.

But the most sad part is that Dollar to Euro's conversion.... Damn what the actual fuck.

Strakt

Is the back the same as the jet black model from the 7 plus? That color got so many scratches even when inside a case

VeeP

I am surprised not many people complaining about the back and that camera bump + position. Looks like Chinese knock off.

Bump's been there since iPhone 6. People dislike it, but after a few years you get tired of complaining about it. I'd rather they just increase the thickness and add a bigger battery and get rid of the bump but they don't.

Decided to check how the iPhone X would've looked with a bezel on top instead of the notch. I think it looks a lot better.

FUg1Nzj.jpg

I honestly think that looks even worse. Maybe it wouldn’t look as bad if the menu icons were up there, but I prefer the notch versus just a black bar like that

Is the back the same as the jet black model from the 7 plus? That color got so many scratches even when inside a case

Glass instead of aluminum, so think iPhone 4/4S

Bsigg12

It's crazy that it costs $1000 or more for iPhone users to finally experience the glorious freedom that is fast charging and built in wireless charging. I guess it's better than nothing.

DOWN

Banned
lol I didn't even think about grabbing a phone and then pointing it at the owner's face to unlock it. that's baaaaaaaaaaaaad

They claimed in the keynote that you had to actually be looking at the phone for it to unlock. We couldn't see if that was the case in the Verge video or not. Would be a bad oversight.
Not to be a bad skeptic but I imagine they can’t really guarantee the security of the whole “you have to look at it” since stuff like “did someone blink” happens

borghe

It's crazy that it costs $1000 or more for iPhone users to finally experience the glorious freedom that is fast charging and built in wireless charging. I guess better than nothing.

Both of those are available on the 8 series as well.

Septimius

Not to be a bad skeptic but I imagine they can’t really guarantee the security of the whole “you have to look at it” since stuff like this happens

did-someone-blink-ok-exit-nikon-1034910.png

They have literal machine learning parts of their hardware to recognize faces. This is a huge leap away from the simple algorithms used to recognize closed eyes.

I'm kinda disappointed with the Augmented Reality stuff.

I was hoping for more real-world, real-time interaction. The astronomy stuff (constellation finders) and the table-top pop-up stuff is already available on older phones with a single camera.

Someone had shown off an awesome demo a while back of a person walking down a street and through the phone you could see the entire street transforming, on the fly, into new shapes and effects.

That AR game they showed off this afternoon looked really bland and boring. You may as well just put it on a monitor, as all it does is replace mouse-scrolling with phone angling and anchoring the images to a flat tabletop.

I'm not upgrading my current 7+. I'm just gonna buy it out and stick with it tbh. Hopefully Google can show out with the Pixel 2 because the X is kind of underwhelming imo. It looks nice but that border frame look around the screen with that silver makes it look like the Galaxy note 4 when it had that awkward silver and leather back. Idk why apple didn't go completely bezel-less with that price.

This is different tech than all of those. So your use case examples aren't as relevant. So it remains to be seen how it will work in real world use. We'll just have to find out over time.

The tech does not matter if the action required is the same.

Simply putting the phone to a terminal with your finger on the scanner vs tap-tap-look-present isn't faster or more convenient in any way, for any thing

It just isn't.

Unless the front camera has an amazingly wide lens, it ain't gonna just unlock while it's sitting on your leg or on a desk while not in an optimum position.

x3sphere

The X looks nice, but honestly, I think the S8 is the sleeker looking phone. The edge to edge curved screen just looks better to me. I've always thought Apple had the edge in design up until this phone generation.

borghe

Ahh I missed it during the presentation apparently and just saw the new iPhone 8 page.

I stand corrected. Do we know if they support Fast Wireless Charging as well?

yes but they do not include a 29W adapter that is needed.

The tech does not matter if the action required is the same.

Simply putting the phone to a terminal with your finger on the scanner vs tap-tap-look-present isn't faster or more convenient in any way, for any thing

It just isn't.

Unless the front camera has an amazingly wide lens, it ain't gonna just unlock while it's sitting on your leg or on a desk while not in an optimum position.

I mean you are 100% talking through your ass at this point just to doom and gloom because.. let's see some reviews before we we start making baseless claims. unless you are willing to eat crow in two months.

Sec0nd

FUg1Nzj.jpg

They should forbid apps to actively fill the weird top areas. Like the weather app does. That's just atrocious. Keep it black and just use it to display the time and other notifications. That would've been just fine.

Septimius

I'm kinda disappointed with the Augmented Reality stuff.

I was hoping for more real-world, real-time interaction. The astronomy stuff (constellation finders) and the table-top pop-up stuff is already available on older phones with a single camera.

Someone had shown off an awesome demo a while back of a person walking down a street and through the phone you could see the entire street transforming, on the fly, into new shapes and effects.

That AR game they showed off this afternoon looked really bland and boring. You may as well just put it on a monitor, as all it does is replace mouse-scrolling with phone angling and anchoring the images to a flat tabletop.

It would feel really different actually holding the phone, since it's a pane into another reality, but I agree. The AR stuff they showed off was lacking. The game wasn't as much augmented as it was using the phone to look at something virtual.

DOWN

Banned
This picture has been altered, and kind of racist.
Yeah I noticed it was altered so I had edited it out. Not sure if the original was real as I’d just remembered seeing a similar image shown to me and someone saying it was controversial for the camera company but my second look made me question that particular image

Top Bottom