• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

GavinUK86

Seeing as people are predicting the MC, I reckon somewhere around 80.

Fan scores though will be 30-40.

I sense a DA2 situation all over again. I mean with reactions, hopefully not gameplay.

TheYanger

Eh, but DA2 bothered people that played it, MEA so far seems mostly to annoy people that haven't even tried it. (Yeah yeah gross generalization, just the impression from reading the threads).

Well, there's no turning back now. I have the PC deluxe edition pre-ordered and pre-loaded, waiting for Tuesday. Although previews haven't been stellar, I'm happy Mass Effect is back in some capacity.

I'm ready, whether the game is good, bad or just mediocre.

There's probably also (though these may just be flings, not full-on romances):

Keri (Asari documentary film maker.)
Reyes (Some male smuggler/mercenary/???)

All in all, it looks like straight guys will have the most options, followed by gay women. Straight women and gay guys will both have the least (unless the data miners have been missing sth).
Is
Keri the Asari doctor that the blonde lady actress (sorry her name escapes me right now!) voices?

Also, it looks like
Cora
is causing some controversy right now with some fans due to
her not being gay

Does that have to be put under spoiler tags?

Just spent about 30 minutes or so creating a Steam Controller configuration that I like. I wasn't sure if the hybrid xbox controller/mouse look worked well in this game, so I just went full keyboard and mouse with it.

Overall I think I got it to a point where I like it quite a bit. The keyboard bindings annoyingly don't let you have two functions on one button (like melee and using stuff being on the Y button), but the Steam controller lets you set buttons to do multiple functions if you press the button or if you hold it, so I was able to make it pretty much the same as a normal controller.
There are a few other little annoyances like not being able to bind which button switches tabs in the menus (I think it defaults to E, and I can't figure out how to change that) and I can't make dialog selections without using the mouse cursor (I can highlight the option I want to say, but I can't figure out what key it is to actually select it).

I still need to mess with the mouse sensitivity until I like it (haven't done combat with the config yet) but I think I might play the whole game with the Steam controller. I should check if the 360 controller with mouse look functionality works well in this game, since that might be the best option. I'm not a fan of the emulated mouse look in past games, but it has been a while since I used the Steam controller so maybe that's gotten better by now.

Jaraghan

Is
Keri the Asari doctor that the blonde lady actress (sorry her name escapes me right now!) voices?

Also, it looks like
Cora
is causing controversy right now with fans due to
her not being gay

No, at least I think so. Natalie Dormer voices Lexi T'Perro.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Soldier or Vanguard, that is the question...

Is

Also, it looks like
Cora
is causing controversy right now with fans due to
her not being gay

Yes, tumblr is up in arms over it. It all seems kind of petty. Disliking it is one thing, saying BioWare has some sort of agenda though is ridiculous.

diaspora

The people who haven't tried it got that impression from all the people that did.

Metascore will be 78. Bonus points for the barely functional but still better than singleplayer multiplayer. The more positive reviews will try to spin how terrible it is as a tribute to the first Mass Effect's lack of polish.
I mean if this isn't an admission you're talking out of your ass considering its posted right after somebody saying they actually liked it...

But being full of shit seems to be a pattern eh?

Ryzaki009

Yes, tumblr is up in arms over it. It all seems kind of petty. Disliking it is one thing, saying BioWare has some sort of agenda though is ridiculous.

Yep it's either too much from one side or not enough from another.

Oh well. *shrug*

I'm good as long as I get two options.

Harlequin

Is

Also, it looks like
Cora
is causing some controversy right now with some fans due to
her not being gay

No,
I specifically said that she's a documentary film maker :p. The doctor is another character and she's probably not romanceable.

EDIT: Regarding the spoiler tags: No idea but better safe than sorry :).

Controversy? What's the deal, exactly?
Eh it's not a big deal. At least, I hope it doesn't become a big deal. Some people are complaining that
she's not gay is either being regressive/offensive or that all straight women have short hair cause of Cassandra and such.
It's mostly Twitter people.
And before anyone pines their hope of romancing a character voiced by Natalie Dormer, no you cannot romance Lexi.
Yeah I figured that out. Oh well, at least it isn't Bethany situation.
No,
I specifically said that she's a documentary film maker :p. The doctor is another character and she's probably not romanceable.

EDIT: Regarding the spoiler tags: No idea but better safe than sorry :).
Yeah I was secretly hoping you goofed up at that haha! My bad.

Anybody who's had a chance to put time into the MP: what are your thoughts on it compared to ME3? I'm wondering if the difficulty was adequately adjusted to compensate for the added movement abilities. In ME3 positioning was really important as you could get in big trouble if you allowed yourself to be pinned in. In ME:A it seems like you can fly and dash away from any situation with ease. I hope I'm wrong about this.

It's been a long time so I can't really compare much to ME3. I will just say that this game can get very tough because the enemy likes to flank. Not to mention the cloaks, shields and armor that can take some time to defeat. It could be because we are all early in the progression, but a lot of matches had trouble making it to extraction.

One of the few complaints I have regarding the design is the levels being claustrophobic. It's real easy to get stuck in tough situations when the enemies bare down on you.

Overall it was crazy addicting because of the awesome gameplay, loot and leveling.

Gt+mfw+all+these+statist+yuroucks+talking+about+guns+_533c71a13fa0e418199b313209251722.gif

DHiPwm9.png

I've seen a few queer people voice frustrations that a bunch of recent BioWare games have had very queer coded women all be straight.

Being neither queer nor a woman, I don't really have the personal experience or viewpoint to comment, but I've seen that opinion often enough to believe there is validity behind it

Mifec

Any place already sending out keys so you can preload? Want to gift it to a few friends but on Origin you can't gift pre orders for some dumb reason.

Jocund

Eh it's not a big deal. At least, I hope it doesn't become a big deal. Some people are complaining that
she's not gay is either being regressive/offensive or that all straight women have short hair cause of Cassandra and such.
It's mostly Twitter people.
Ha that is stretching to the max. I hope that it blows over.

There seems to be a decent amount of options for people of both straight and gay orientation.

Yeah this and Twitter. It's really weird.
Ha that is stretching to the max. I hope that it blows over.

There seems to be a decent amount of options for people of both straight and gay orientation.
Yeah it's pretty in my opinion but what do I know? I just hope it doesn't get as bad as the animation issue.

I'm in Australia, I've figured out how to route my xboxs internet through a vpn... is there a way to unlock the game earlier than the 23rd?

I know it's possible on PC with Origin... is it possible on Xbox?

illamap

My mc prediction is 87. Shame it releases on europe a little bit later. Hopefully reviewers dont cave to the circlejerking that has happened in the recent days and review it lower because of it.

blakep267

AFter getting off to a rocky start I'm enjoying it. Still early on but I just like the idea of being a "pathfinder". That's where Dragon age inquisition kinda lost me. I wasn't drawn into the fantasy medieval setting

I do wish it were a little less steril on the nexus thoUgh. Like I want full blown Star Trek DS9

Top Bottom