• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

balddemon

Banned
what is the bar thing that shows up sometimes when i get hit or block an attack?

i just got this game from gamestop today. it's hard.

what is the bar thing that shows up sometimes when i get hit or block an attack?

status effects: poison, toxic, or bleed. the effect will activate when the bar hits max - bleeding is instant health loss whereas poison and toxic are damage over time (with toxic being really fast) Good luck with it, and have fun :)

Insaniac

its probably the poison / bleed bar. Some weapons have a poison or bleed status attack. When that bar fills up after several consecutive hits, you suffer extra bleed damage, or you become poisoned.

Despera

Banned
i was a bit disappointed also, i thought demon's souls had the better ending even though it's pretty much the same length. and while i love
the kiln of the first flame, seeing the Old One rise out of the ocean beats it hands down
Yep, I agree with you. Demon's Souls actually had an ending. I also consider the
fight against the deformed king Allant right before meeting the old one
to be a very nice touch.

Although I'm a bit worried after reading Gametrailers' interview with the game's producer, which included:
We've always been about making games for the core gamer. And they weren't necessarily games that did well financially, which is too bad. The success of both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, which have each sold over a million [copies] per title worldwide, has made us shift our thinking internally to not just core gamers, but to globalize our products, that they can be successful on a worldwide scale. That's now one of the key pillars we consider when we develop games in the future.
I don't know what he means exactly by globalizing the Souls games, but I have a bad feeling about this.

I don't know what he means exactly by globalizing the Souls games, but I have a bad feeling about this.

well, i gather the souls series was kind of "surprise globalization!" for them.. hopefully they see the reasons why and focus on them. from other things they've said in interviews i don't think we have too much focus-group'ing to worry about just yet. it will be interesting though given the amount of attention the two games have drawn on them. at least we have these two anyway, i don't think i'd like to see Dark Souls XIII in any shape or form.

Smough and Ornstein on NG+ is such bs. I need Ornstein's soul, so I have to face Ornstein last, and that is just ridiculous. Does anyone have any good tips or willing to help me out with this? I'm a level 127 Warrior on NG+.

joe2187

Banned
Smough and Ornstein on NG+ is such bs. I need Ornstein's soul, so I have to face Ornstein last, and that is just ridiculous. Does anyone have any good tips or willing to help me out with this? I'm a level 127 Warrior on NG+.

You on Xbox?

Could probably help you out then!

balddemon

Banned
i hate this game :(

i beat demon's souls twice. so i'm like, "hey i'll try dark souls, can't be that much harder!"

lol

i started off as a sorcerer and hated it
so i restarted as a warrior. bit more to my liking. i managed to beat the skeletons at the beginning. then i grabbed the binoculars, and while i was looking through them, for some reason i thought R1 would make me zoom in/out. nope, it makes you attack. so i attacked right off the edge. and died. now i can't get past the skeletons again. time for bed. maybe i'll try a pyromancer.

Sullichin

i beat demon's souls twice. so i'm like, "hey i'll try dark souls, can't be that much harder!"

lol

so i restarted as a warrior. bit more to my liking. i managed to beat the skeletons at the beginning. then i grabbed the binoculars, and while i was looking through them, for some reason i thought R1 would make me zoom in/out. nope, it makes you attack. so i attacked right off the edge. and died. now i can't get past the skeletons again. time for bed. maybe i'll try a pyromancer.

The problem isn't the class you're choosing. You're going the "wrong" way, try another direction.. you'll find one with much easier enemies.

Just got my copy in the mail. Fun times ahead! Think I got a decent SL125 build too. Ignoring intelligence and going mostly dex/faith. 30 faith for the buffs and around 40 dex for scaling. Hopefully it works.

I got through most of NG+ pretty easy so far and I was at level 80? Just co opped either real players or NPC's Ornstein took me two tries. Had two people helping i just ran around healing them mostly and getting hits in when I could. Have +20 flasks helped.

lol

lol Dude I did this my first play through. Leave catacombs for way way later.

lol

Doh! On my first play I was admiring the scenery after beating the first real boss and accidentally jumped right off a bridge :/ like sullichan says, look around firelink for more exits and follow the path of least resistance. And for future reference up/down on the dpad to zoom binocs/bows ;)

Cheap stuff aside(lag stabs/WoG) the combat in this game is absolutely addicting. I spent like 6 ours pvp'ng in Darkroot Basin last night. Though 2 v 1 are annoying the game is just damn fun. I wonder if from will ever release an arena mode. This game is up there with Mount and Blade and Jedi Knight games as far as dueling goes IMO.

I also find the katana kinda bland for combat and started using Ricard's Rapier. You need to concentrate a bit more but when you hit em(with sunblade buff) it really hurts and scares them pretty good.

Nutter

If anyone wants help and is on the Xbox, im willing to help :)

Lvl 125, I have been playing with Booshka a tons in Co-op mode and its actually got me interested in finishing this up again.

Dresden

Although I'm a bit worried after reading Gametrailers' interview with the game's producer, which included:

I think it's more likely that he'll embrace some of the most Western design philosophies, such as hot naked women, 3rd person shooter gameplay with cover mechanics, and a two-weapon carry limit.

Also every character you make will be white and bald.

I think it's more likely that he'll embrace some of the most Western design philosophies, such as hot naked women, 3rd person shooter gameplay with cover mechanics, and a two-weapon carry limit.

Also every character you make will be white and bald.

Nooo... i like my hairy blue characters. Although technically, i think it already features the largest pair of boobs in any game i own
amazing chest ahead

Soulhouf

You'll be invincible in this fight with an Eagle shield+15.

Try it on NG++, pure melee. This was one of the few parts I seriously questioned my ability to keep playing, or try a different approach. I finally got past it but I ended up having to kill Ornstein first.

Sajjaja

Beat Capra and that toothy dragon in Depths. Recommendations as to where to go next? Blightown seems hard. Reminiscent of Valley of Defilement in demons souls.

Dammit, started as pyromancer. My build looks very similar to that though.

Taurus and Bell Gargoyles went down like soft shit in the rain. But Capra...by god. Felt impossible if he did his lunging attack right out of the gate. Such a difficulty spike. Had to summon in order to beat him.

Gaping Dragon is far easier. He got me the first time because my Drake Sword broke and I got greedy for hits. Gonna take his ass down after I eat my damn sandwich.

And The Depths is a horrible area.

Beat Capra and that toothy dragon in Depths. Recommendations as to where to go next? Blightown seems hard. Reminiscent of Valley of Defilement in demons souls.

If you have beaten Moonlight Butterfly, then goto Blighttown. If not, go to the garden.

Actually, go to the garden and stock up on (Blooming) Purple Moss Clumps from the Demonic Foliages then go to Blighttown.

Dresden

Dammit, started as pyromancer. My build looks very similar to that though.

Taurus and Bell Gargoyles went down like soft shit in the rain. But Capra...by god. Felt impossible if he did his lunging attack right out of the gate. Such a difficulty spike. Had to summon in order to beat him.

Gaping Dragon is far easier. He got me the first time because my Drake Sword broke and I got greedy for hits. Gonna take his ass down after I eat my damn sandwich.

And The Depths is a horrible area.

The Depths is awesome, man.

Also start looking into upgrading and what it entails, because that Drake Sword is going to get outdated pretty soon.

Dresden

Once I hit 120 I am done leveling. WTH am I gonna do with all those souls(aside from max out all pvp provisions)

Buy random junk with all that disposable income. 999 lightning bolts, 99 twinkling titanite, etc. Stuff you probably won't use now but could possibly transfer over with the BB glitch, if you don't mind using that.

Buy random junk with all that disposable income. 999 lightning bolts, 99 twinkling titanite, etc. Stuff you probably won't use now but could possibly transfer over with the BB glitch, if you don't mind using that.

Yeah and a ton of arrows of all kinds for my bow. Love them for pve.

When I first started, I thought the route with the graveyard and skeletons was the right way, but you should hold off on that direction for a while. You want to head to Undead Burg first off all, which is the castle area up high, you get there up the side of the cliff from Firelink Shrine.

I didn't even see that path at first, so I'm not surprised other people though the graveyard was the first area.

Finally got around to buying this. A couple of hours in.

Beat the tutorial boss on my first try, no problem. Beat the demon on the bridge fairly easily as well. No problem. All that Demon's Souls experience paying off.

That darn Darkwood forest though. That place is exactly what people who don't like Demon's Souls like to pretend that game was. Completely unfair. I fight my was past trees that can kill me in one hit by eating me and after that I can either go to a huge ghost creature that kills me with it's projectiles before I can even fully see it, or to a huge area filled with huge knights that also kill me in one shot. If I try to run away from the knights I either run into three more, or somehow back to where I started.

Ugh. I'm probably not supposed to be there yet, right? I sure hope so? That nigh-unkillable lightning-shooting scorpion miniboss at the entrance to the forest should have been a clear hint. But if that's the case, it's pretty dumb of them to put the optional area right in the middle of my path making it seem like the obvious place to go.

The Depths is awesome, man.

Also start looking into upgrading and what it entails, because that Drake Sword is going to get outdated pretty soon.

Well The Depths is amazing compared to Blighttown, lol. Toxic is so annoying and I went in with zero poison or toxic heal items. Dat framerate...Seriously From, design your next game with near-constant 30FPS in mind.

And as I expected, Quelaag was easier than Capra. Is Capra one of the harder bosses? Everything else has been far easier.

The Depths was just an annoying maze imo, once I got into the actual waterways. It's like there was one maze filled with rats and another filled with curse guys. idk. Only one bonfire too unless I missed one. Didn't get cursed though.

I was probably going to use the free Lightning Spear in Sen's Fortress. Is that a worthy replacement for the Drake Sword? I know it's going to get outdated soon but it's honestly been fine so far. 3 or 4-shots the purple dudes/fire breathing spiders and 1-shots the mosquitos in Blighttown.

Also, how do my stats look? I'm sitting at the entrance to an opened Sen's Fortress with about 21 vitality., 14 attunement, 20 endurance, 16 strength, 14 dex, base resistance/intelligence and 12 faith. Drake Sword/Short Bow for weapons, Heater Shield and base Talisman (just Heal), and some shitty light armor. I think I upgraded the chest piece +2 or something though. eh

Game's been hit and miss so far. Everything up to Capra was pure gold. Capra through Blighttown was...less enjoyable.

Frank

But if that's the case, it's pretty dumb of them to put the optional area right in the middle of my path making it seem like the obvious place to go.

Dumb in what sense? In the sense that it attracts more dumbness? Just turn around, go somewhere else. Aren't there some bells you need to punch or something? Bells are usually in towers, not deep under some foliage.

Dumb in what sense? In the sense that it attracts more dumbness? Just turn around, go somewhere else. Aren't there some bells you need to punch or something? Bells are usually in towers, not deep under some foliage.

That's exactly the problem, I'm not sure where that "somewhere else" would be. The main path that I was following lead me to the forest, and I can't be blamed for missing some random spoke off to the side that leads to the actual destination. Random spokes are for treasure and side areas. If a huge door right in front of me opens, I get a bonfire and a blacksmith for repairing my stuff, it's not that big of a logic leap to assume that I'm going the right way.

Also, "Bells are usually in towers" is no excuse, because why couldn't the forest lead to a tower?

Soulhouf

That's the big change in Dark Souls. It's an open world with all the areas connected compared to Demon's Souls.
If you go to an area that seems too hard, go explore somewhere else.

Dark Souls could have had a bit more direction. Maybe a map that shows main objectives (bells/lords) Metroid Prime style, and where they're located relative to where you are but not the area in between.

Frank

The map is, in a way, in the game. Especially in the early parts of the game, the way the level design uses 3D space allows you to see both ahead and behind on your progression path. From a certain point of view, it's the really old school way of navigating around a world -- you really look at it, then you take a reference point somewhere ahead, and then you go towards it.

Go back to the bridge where you fought the Taurus Demon. Look around, look ahead. The map is there.

And always try to do this -- the world's layout sustains this kind of observational navigation. The way the world is built, you see a lot more than just 'the few next steps'.

Dark Souls could have had a bit more direction. Maybe a map that shows main objectives (bells/lords) Metroid Prime style, and where they're located relative to where you are but not the area in between.

I don't think a map is quite right for the type of game Dark Souls is. Maybe a journal system at most? I dunno I was never really lost in Dark Souls aside from a few instances of "That piece of look over there. How do I get it?" The various optional paths you can take are all pretty obvious.

I don't think a map is quite right for the type of game Dark Souls is. Maybe a journal system at most? I dunno I was never really lost in Dark Souls aside from a few instances of "That piece of look over there. How do I get it?" The various optional paths you can take are all pretty obvious.

Yeah, a map would be too much. Some environmental cues would suit the game way better. Like the amount of random bodies on the ground increases if you're walking into an area that's too tough for you and things like that.

Dresden

Like the amount of random bodies on the ground increases if you're walking into an area that's too tough for you and things like that.

Blood stains should do that in theory, but the lack of dedicated servers and like has meant that the game has always been sparse in both stains and phantoms, and that's a pity. Even now Demon's has far more of those, making it feel more alive.

krakov

Got owned by a Vagrant in New Londo Ruins the other night, that's the second time for me. This form sends out some projectiles almost similar to Crystal Homing Soulmass. Had 700ish HP and 300ish damage protection, OHKO.

Canova

Banned
Once I hit 120 I am done leveling. WTH am I gonna do with all those souls(aside from max out all pvp provisions)

buy 999 dragonslayer arrows and start knocking off invaders with them. I can't describe you how fun it is nailing poor bastards off the ledges with those arrows

Blood stains should do that in theory, but the lack of dedicated servers and like has meant that the game has always been sparse in both stains and phantoms, and that's a pity. Even now Demon's has far more of those, making it feel more alive.

Yeah in 6 or so hours of playtime, I maybe saw 3 or 4 bloodstains...and one of them didn't work...

Can't speak for Demon's. I always played offline to avoid the world tendency glitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom