• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulhouf

Gaping is cake, you just run away while he's reared up on his hind legs. He'll inevitably drop down onto all fours and make a slow, meandering rush with incredibly poor tracking that takes forever and a day for him to recover from, leaving him wiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open for stabbing in the ass.

He has at least 2 attacks that kill you in one hit: when he flies and land on you and a random attack with his legs.
I beat the game 10 times and I die at least once against Gaping Dragon each time.

Which is funny is I lost only once against S&O and never against 4K or Capra and these bosses seem to be a big trouble for many players.
The reason is, I can block whatever attack they do with my shield.

@Clevinger: yes there is that attack and especially the tail smash which is very powerful.

Booshka

Lightning, Regular, Raw, Crystal = Regular Titanite Slab (Finish Siegmeyer's quest line, Stray Demon Drop, Crystal Lizard in The Great Hollow, rare Darkwraith Drop)
Chaos, Fire = Red Titanite Slab (Treasure Chest in Lost Izalith, and rare drops from the chaos eater enemies there)
Enchanted, Magic = Blue Titanite Slab (After fucking annoying invisible path in Crystal Caves, and rare drops from the butterflies there)
Divine, Occult = White Titanite Slab (In TOtG before Nito, also rare drops from pinwheel enemies there)

If you notice, the areas with the colored slabs also have enemies with a rare chance of dropping more of those slabs. A cool little bit of consistency in the game's design.

So, it's possible to get them all in one playthrough, it would be lots of farming though. I never farmed for red,blue,& white slabs, and just made the other weapons I needed on consecutive playthroughs.

To add to and revise this a bit, Raw doesn't need a Slab, it only goes to +5 and you only need Large Shards for it.

You can also get a Red Slab by trading an Ascended Flame to Snuggly, upgrade it to +15 then ascend it, then when you trade it you can get a Red Slab.

Gaping Dragon was time consuming, but easy, I think it only hit me once when I was slashing away for too long a time and not running away. Didn't cut his tail off though :/

I just made my first trip to Blightown, this place is horrible but nowhere near as bad as the swamps in Demon's Souls. I one-hit the mosquito things with Soul Arrow. The guys that spit poison darts are annoying, but since they all seem to be on the wooden walkways, it seems safer down in the swamp - being poisoned was nothing since health depletes so slowly, it's when you're toxic that it gets scary!

Now to find Quelaag!

krakov

Having a real hard time getting summoned lately. Currently SL 60, tried AL, painted, new londo and tomb with no takers.

Is 360 turning ghost town? Early areas are 90% glitchers it seems.

Booshka

Having a real hard time getting summoned lately. Currently SL 60, tried AL, painted, new londo and tomb with no takers.

Is 360 turning ghost town? Early areas are 90% glitchers it seems.

Go to Duke's Archives, you should get good activity there. Some times and days are just bad for summoning, sometimes I have to wait 30 mins to get summoned, other times 30 seconds. You might want to try re-booting the game, I don't know if it works, but I've tried it a few times and it seemed like I was getting summoned quicker.

Mike M

Nick N
The guys that spit poison darts are annoying, but since they all seem to be on the wooden walkways, it seems safer down in the swamp - being poisoned was nothing since health depletes so slowly, it's when you're toxic that it gets scary!
Actually, the only time the dart blowers gave me any trouble wasn't the walkways at all...

On your way up/down from the swamp via the water wheel, there's a concrete sewer pipe area like where the bonfire is, only it's a fucking kill box. Fire breathing dogs on the ground, half a dozen dart blowers above.

Even being fortunate enough to encounter this for the first time on the upper level where the blowers were, I had a bitch of a time taking them out since you can't defend yourself from all of them at once. Plus the area you're walking on is really narrow with a big drop, so dodging is a... Dodgy proposition.

For an added kick in the nuts, I seem to recall one was on the other side of a gap you couldn't get across, so you had to drop your shield and take him out with ranged attacks.

MMaRsu

Banned
Ok so i just started ng+ and beat the taurus demon, what do i invest points in with 160k souls?. My end is at 34, vit at 30, str is 23 and dex 22. Im using a lightning iato+5 and im a pyro so i have the glove fully upgraded with some nice spells.

Booshka

Ok so i just started ng+ and beat the taurus demon, what do i invest points in with 160k souls?. My end is at 34, vit at 30, str is 23 and dex 22. Im using a lightning iato+5 and im a pyro so i have the glove fully upgraded with some nice spells.

Take your Endurance to 40, Strength to 24 and increase your Vitality (max at 50). You can also increase your Attunement for more slots. If you want you can increase Dex even more to get better scaling out of Normal reinforcement, but if you're fine with staying elemental on weapons, then don't bother.

M.D

Unless you want to invest in some str/dex scaling weapons (give some thought to this, because you may want to switch a weapon later on like I did, I get bored using the same one for a long time), or one hold a certain weapon, try to bring end and vit to 40. Invest in what you think is more important to you.

Or, you could invest in faith or int and use some sorcery/miracles

MMaRsu

Banned
Thx guys for the tips. I want to really build this guy out. I dont necessarily have to stay on elemental side of the weapons because i do like to switch them up. Also got quelaags fury sword and some other trinkets. What are the best str/dex scaling weapons and how do they compare to a lightning iato+5? Also gonna try to get the drake sword, no other way to obtain it by cutting off the tail of the dragon with arrows right?

So I rung both bells and opened up the gate to Sen's Fortress. That place really frustrating me to the point where I don't want to play. Any advice for Sen's Fortress? And I am guessing that is where I must go to next so I can't skip it.

Sullichin

To add to and revise this a bit, Raw doesn't need a Slab, it only goes to +5 and you only need Large Shards for it.

You can also get a Red Slab by trading an Ascended Flame to Snuggly, upgrade it to +15 then ascend it, then when you trade it you can get a Red Slab.

Ah yes, I forgot that about Raw Weapons.. probably because I only made one for the trophy.

Gaping Dragon was time consuming, but easy, I think it only hit me once when I was slashing away for too long a time and not running away. Didn't cut his tail off though :/

I just made my first trip to Blightown, this place is horrible but nowhere near as bad as the swamps in Demon's Souls. I one-hit the mosquito things with Soul Arrow. The guys that spit poison darts are annoying, but since they all seem to be on the wooden walkways, it seems safer down in the swamp - being poisoned was nothing since health depletes so slowly, it's when you're toxic that it gets scary!

Now to find Quelaag!

I suggest throwing knives for the mosquitos. A bit faster than a soul arrow and you won't have to waste your spells on enemies that barely have any HP.

The other night I made the stupid decision to backtrack from the second bonfire to upper Blighttown, because I haven't been there in a while.. bad idea.

I'd bring end up to 40 for sure. If your lightning iaito is your only weapon, don't bother upgrading your STR or DEX any more, you only need 14str and 20dex for that and any other points there aren't doing anything. Otherwise, you might wanna make a +15 weapon that can take advantage of your str/dex with scaling. Shame you killed Taurus, leaving the burg open for invasions is where it's at. At least, it's my favorite place to PVP.

Oh and if you're going for the drake sword, it should only be for the trophy, it would be useless in NG+.

So I rung both bells and opened up the gate to Sen's Fortress. That place really frustrating me to the point where I don't want to play. Any advice for Sen's Fortress? And I am guessing that is where I must go to next so I can't skip it.

Can't skip Sens. Hopefully you will learn to love it. It's one of the best designed areas in the game imo. The snake dudes can be backstabbed, and even better they can all be lured into the same traps that are probably killing you.

Yeah. This is a make or break moment in the game.

The best thing you can do is be patient and learn where the traps are located. Or consult an online walkthrough.

Canova

Banned

Yup, that place will test your limit, ....till the next challenge

M.D

It's really not that hard.
The only thing you really need to be careful of are the swinging blades. All the other traps are pretty easy to avoid, they are not really hidden, and once you see where they are, it's hard to forget.

The blades can make you go nuts, but once you mastered them, you could do Sen's Fortess with you're eyes closed (OK, not really, but you get my point :))

The blades are really all about timing and positioning. Make sure you walk/run at the right time, and roll if necessary. Just make sure you don't roll all the way down lol

If you feel you can't do it, just come back after a couple of hours or a day. It's one of those cases.

Yup, that place will test your limit, ....till the next challenge

Anor Londo is by far my favorite places in the game. Everything about it is just so perfect!

Mike M

Nick N

Sen's isn't *too* bad, especially once you open the shortcut. The roof is a much easier go than the fortress itself.

Bring arrows, you'll need them to snipe those damned snake mages.

The arrow traps are easy enough to spot, once you know what the pressure plates and launchers look like.

Snakes are vulnerable to seemingly everything. Combustion kills them quick. They can be poisoned easily. Weak against lightning too.

Snake mages have next to no poise, so you can run up to them and melee them until they die relatively easily. Snake warriors have insanely high poise and are almost impossible to interrupt, so I prefer to use a spear so I can keep the shield up.

The lightning spear you find makes the snakes absolutely trivial.

The bonfire is hidden, you need to take a short drop off the roof to find it.

Stay out of the basement until you're prepared, it's covered in tar that will slow your movement without the rusted iron ring and crawling with Prowling Demons.

I would make a beeline for the roof, open the shortcut, then worry about looting the rest of the place. That way you only have to worry about the worst of the swinging blades the one time, and you can kill the giant loading the boulders so you can explore in peace (Though be warned, it's necessary to redirect the boulders to access at least one area by breaking a wall.)

Thank's for the advice about Sen's Fortress everyone! I think it's time for me to knuckle up and clear this hell-hole. I miss this game too much to shelve it out of rage.

M.D

Sen's isn't *too* bad, especially once you open the shortcut. The roof is a much easier go than the fortress itself.

Bring arrows, you'll need them to snipe those damned snake mages.

The arrow traps are easy enough to spot, once you know what the pressure plates and launchers look like.

Snakes are vulnerable to seemingly everything. Combustion kills them quick. They can be poisoned easily. Weak against lightning too.

Snake mages have next to no poise, so you can run up to them and melee them until they die relatively easily. Snake warriors have insanely high poise and are almost impossible to interrupt, so I prefer to use a spear so I can keep the shield up.

The lightning spear you find makes the snakes absolutely trivial.

The bonfire is hidden, you need to take a short drop off the roof to find it.

Stay out of the basement until you're prepared, it's covered in tar that will slow your movement without the rusted iron ring and crawling with Prowling Demons.

I would make a beeline for the roof, open the shortcut, then worry about looting the rest of the place. That way you only have to worry about the worst of the swinging blades the one time, and you can kill the giant loading the boulders so you can explore in peace (Though be warned, it's necessary to redirect the boulders to access at least one area by breaking a wall.)

I'm pretty sure he respawns

Indeed - the bastard throwing exploding rocks (when you're about to reach the bonfire) does not respawn, but the boulder loading guy respawns.

Finally beat Nito today, next up is New Londo (I've already drained the waters in an earlier run). My jaw dropped to the floor when I suddenly realized I was looking at the "back-end" of Valley of Drakes.

Two quick questions:

-Do the Drakes respawn? This might open up a shortcut (
Firelink -> Four Kings
) without needing a Cursed weapon.
-What happens if I fail all but one of the required stats for Astoria's Cursed sword? I put some more points in Strength, only to realize I need 8 more in Faith. I can swing it two-handed, but is it worth it to spend my next upgrades to properly handle it?

Mike M

Nick N

He does, just meant to point out that he needs to live at least for a little while so a couple walls can be knocked down.

I think. I know one of them can be knocked down with a sufficiently strong blow (I've had the man serpent standing there knock it down before), but I don't know about the other.

swordfishtrombones said:
My jaw dropped to the floor when I suddenly realized I was looking at the "back-end" of Valley of Drakes.

Same. Didn't even realize it until I got down there and saw the three drakes hanging out, and even then it took me a moment to put it together.

So now I am only missing 3 trophies (there's another savefile on the PS3 that has the other ending) and I am pretty much done with my first playthrough. I just need some more souls so I can finish Big Hat Logan guest and then I am free to move on I guess. Can't wait. Sort of. Next run will be just a quick runthrough to get all the boss souls I need for the weapons.

The Drakes do spawn. And I think that it doesn't matter whether you are short on one stat or all the stats.

M.D

Indeed - the bastard throwing exploding rocks (when you're about to reach the bonfire) does not respawn, but the boulder loading guy respawns.

Finally beat Nito today, next up is New Londo (I've already drained the waters in an earlier run). My jaw dropped to the floor when I suddenly realized I was looking at the "back-end" of Valley of Drakes.

Two quick questions:

-Do the Drakes respawn? This might open up a shortcut (
Firelink -> Four Kings
) without needing a Cursed weapon.
-What happens if I fail all but one of the required stats for Astoria's Cursed sword? I put some more points in Strength, only to realize I need 8 more in Faith. I can swing it two-handed, but is it worth it to spend my next upgrades to properly handle it?

Yes, they do, and they have some of the most annoying attacks in the game, so watch out :)

Right in front of the door you opened and let the water flow out of, there are what appears to be ruins, but there's actually a shortcut (similar to the one from Fireshrink to New Londo Ruins), that leads to a Darkroot Basin bonfire. If you're just trying to beat Four Kings/Farm, I'd recommend using that bonfire. You only need to kill 2 drakes, and you can run past the 3 near the gate pretty easily. There's another way you can go about it, going to just the past 4 ghosts in NLR and jumping off some ledges, but the first way is faster and safer.

I think you'll just do little damage.
I don't know about the cursed version very well, but IIRC from the stats, it seems there are better swords.

You can use that version to fight ghosts in NLR, but you can't block. And investing in stats just for that purpose is a waste of time, since you only fight ghosts for about an hour total.

He does, just meant to point out that he needs to live at least for a little while so a couple walls can be knocked down.

I think. I know one of them can be knocked down with a sufficiently strong blow (I've had the man serpent standing there knock it down before), but I don't know about the other.

Same. Didn't even realize it until I got down there and saw the three drakes hanging out, and even then it took me a moment to put it together.

Yeah, the one leading to "that" guy :)
The ball can roll in that direction and knock the wall and roll out after that, also to what appears to be Darkroot Garden/Basin, and the direction it goes where you first come to Sen's Fortress. Not sure what the last direction is or does. I know it's inside the Fortress tho.

Yeah, but there's 'that' one challenge ....

Yeah, "that" challenge is pretty challenging :p but also my favorite one in the whole game :)

Any tips for fighting Quelaag?

I watched a few let's play videos on youtube, and thought it looked pretty simple, but I'm having a really hard time strafing around her, I don't seem to be fast enough as she always keeps up with me - My equipment load is less than 50%. As soon as I touch the lava I'm dead since I don't have time to heal, if I can get out of it at all.

Tried the NPC summon, but don't want to keep using humanity ever single time I fight her just for the summon.

Dresden

Any tips for fighting Quelaag?

I watched a few let's play videos on youtube, and thought it looked pretty simple, but I'm having a really hard time strafing around her, I don't seem to be fast enough as she always keeps up with me - My equipment load is less than 50%. As soon as I touch the lava I'm dead since I don't have time to heal, if I can get out of it at all.

Tried the NPC summon, but don't want to keep using humanity ever single time I fight her just for the summon.

You want >25% equip burden for easy time.

Just remember that walking backwards owns her swipes, roll sideways if she pulls back for the long stab, and otherwise, hack away.

If she start spitting lava, move. If the area feels too clogged or you want to stay safe, run away to the other side of the chamber and make her come to you.

Mike M

Nick N

Just remember that walking backwards owns her swipes, roll sideways if she pulls back for the long stab, and otherwise, hack away.

If she start spitting lava, move. If the area feels too clogged or you want to stay safe, run away to the other side of the chamber and make her come to you.

Also, apparently a 1 handed R1/RB attack with a great scythe that hits her human half will stagger her long enough to get another hit in to stagger her again, and so on.

Despera

Banned
Just finished the game. 49 hours at SL 80. Definitely my favourite game this gen.

I just hope the next Souls title has lengthier endings. Something to relax and watch after all the shit you've been through.

25%, OK thanks. That should probably help me get out of the way of the lava spews quicker which I think is the main problem.

Right in front of the door you opened and let the water flow out of, there are what appears to be ruins, but there's actually a shortcut (similar to the one from Fireshrink to New Londo Ruins), that leads to a Darkroot Basin bonfire. If you're just trying to beat Four Kings/Farm, I'd recommend using that bonfire. You only need to kill 2 drakes, and you can run past the 3 near the gate pretty easily. There's another way you can go about it, going to just the past 4 ghosts in NLR and jumping off some ledges, but the first way is faster and safer.

I don't know, the route is super easy from the Firelink (if only the elevator was faster). You only need to run to the first two ghosts, jump off the ledge behind the stairs, run right and past the Darkwraith, up the stairs, past another Darkwraith (there are 2 DW's and 2 Ghosts but they can't catch you) and you are already at the door. The Drakes are way more annoying.

Despera

Banned
I don't know, the route is super easy from the Firelink (if only the elevator was faster). You only need to run to the first two ghosts, jump off the ledge behind the stairs, run right and past the Darkwraith, up the stairs, past another Darkwraith (there are 2 DW's and 2 Ghosts but they can't catch you) and you are already at the door. The Drakes are way more annoying.
This is the exact route I used every time I died fighting the four kings.

Sullichin

25%, OK thanks. That should probably help me get out of the way of the lava spews quicker which I think is the main problem.

Or if you have the dark wood grain ring and <50% weight, but then again that makes every fight in the game easier, not just Quelaag.

Haven't really been able to do that great scythe R1 on her human half to chain stun Quelaag, and I've tried it in co-op a few times. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I agree, that route is easier and faster. You don't have to fight any enemies and you'd have to run past half of the same enemies anyway (plus the drakes and possibly additional darkwraiths) if you came from valley of drakes.

Clevinger

My jaw dropped to the floor when I suddenly realized I was looking at the "back-end" of Valley of Drakes.

Could you explain what you guys mean? I went through there quickly and wasn't paying much attention.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I wonder if someone could help me out by trading me Priscilla's tail? Stupid phantoms that I fought her with killed her before I could chop her tail off and I don't fancy waiting all the way until NG++ to be able to get it again.

Please PM me if you can help me out.

Mike M

Nick N
Could you explain what you guys mean? I went through there quickly and wasn't paying much attention.

The gate you open to drain New Londo is the giant iron gate leaking water on the other side of Valley of Drakes across the bridge just outside the Darkroot Basin entrance where the three drakes are chilling.

But man, I'd MUCH rather deal with a few ghosts I can one shot then make a run past the drakes from Deeproot to farm Darkwraiths...

2AdEPT

I really don't know where I'm going lol. Ive been wandering around just looking for the safest and most logical path. I went to Darkroot basin, forest and valley of drakes and now I'm here by chance lol.

I just want to ring the 2nd bell xD

The fastest way is definitely to do what I described...if you have the mster key its asa easy as going to firelink, going down the elevator briefly to new londo, going back up some stairs to your right (IIRC) opneing the gate to Valley of Drakes, crossing bridge, either running by with no armour the giants in the tunnel to the right of the bridge (they all follow you and if you sit on the stairs down into blighttown they usually all fall off teh ledge and die giving you a quick 750 souls) then its just folloow the ladders down, hop on the ferris wheel down, kill the monsters to the left, duck into cave with bonfire. ALsways someone willing to help with queelag at that bonfire. ONce ready with purple moss equipped, beeline accross the swamp to the right, staying away form the rock throwing giants and running into tunnel on the hill. THat's queelag. One note, you will want to get invaded just after the bonfire so stay human even if you don[t want or can'[t find online help.

Same route without master key but you will have to run by (or kill I guess if you are tough enough/skilled enough that early) some drakes coming up from the Garden.

Mike M

Nick N
Same route without master key but you will have to run by (or kill I guess if you are tough enough/skilled enough that early) some drakes coming up from the Garden.
Small caveat with that strategy
Running past the undead dragon is easy the first time, but once it'll be awake on any subsequent attempts until you kill it. It may be possible to just run on by, but I never succeeded. At the very least I think you'd take damage from it's poison breath.

Started playing again today with plans to take on Sen's Fortress again but decided to farm 20,000 souls and check out what was behind that locked door in Darkroot Garden. Wow I died so fast from those three human looking knights. But having a bonfire right outside made for some stress-free experimentation. After a few tries I finally outran the three warriors and opened a huge door. I wasn't expecting that boss. I snagged the ring but was destroyed in panic.

I also noticed I am starting to get more confident in taking on menacing enemies. I was surprised to take on those scary stone golems in Darkroot Garden with relative ease now. Does the Wolf Ring make a big difference? I just got it and it says that increases poise.

It makes me happy to play this game for the first time in a while. Every time I play it makes me feel like I am playing a new King's Field.

2AdEPT

I've beat Capra myself, but this all sounds like great advice. I'm just about to tackle Blightown, so I think I'll follow your post as a guide on how to get an advantage first.

YEah. I didn't repost how best to do this because I spent a few hours on it once before, but that was so long ago now I can[t remmeber which thread! If you search my posts list you will prolly find it easy.

See above for the coles notes version. I do remmeber that I like getting some things from the start of the depths Spider shield), and also from the start game revisited area (rusty ring for walking throught he swamp) and if you like katana weapons and like to use shields, there are some goodies that may just as easily be reaped by goign forward through blighttown just for a bit, but only if you knjow where you are going...but backwards was the first way I did it, I imagine it was FARRR less frsutrating as a first run experience, and I felt devilishly clever for doing it......so it is always the smae now for me unless I really feel up to forwards whenever I complete the depths and am there anyway.

largest benefit to doing this is ring both bells as fast as possible, opening sens, and opening the whole rest of the world.

Despera

Banned
Running past the undead dragon is easy the first time, but once it'll be awake on any subsequent attempts until you kill it. It may be possible to just run on by, but I never succeeded. At the very least I think you'd take damage from it's poison breath.
I always run in front of it without taking any damage.

What I do is temporarily lower the equipment load so I can run fast and then rush in while it does that toxic breath attack. Right in front of the dragon is a dent that allows you to dodge the breath completely.

2AdEPT

GOod point! BUt a good does of arrows, magic or pyro will kill the
sleeping dragon
easier than the drakes. FOr those that run by the drakes and do not have arrows or projectiles it will be tough to kill that next enemy....run by him and don't engage....run by him too..it s only 30 seconds farther, running by the giants in the cave THEN GET THE GOdDAM valley of the drakes KEY from a chest at the top of the ladder in Bligghttown! HTat key is your new master key and gets you back to firelink the EASY way. TEHN go and grab items/kill slumbering dragon if you wish.

2AdEPT

I always run in front of it without taking any damage.

What I do is temporarily lower the equipment load so I can run fast and then rush in while it does that toxic breath attack. Right in front of the dragon is a dent that allows you to dodge the breath completely.

THE soul level one runs have proven that when there is a will there is a way in this game...it RULES for that reason. Impossible is nothing! etc. other cheesy slogans..etc.

Alright so I just gave Kaathe the lordvessel and he is telling me to put it on the altar but I am not done playing yet. Will this force me to finish the game? If so can I warp out of here?

Despera

Banned
THE soul level one runs have proven that when there is a will there is a way in this game...it RULES for that reason. Impossible is nothing! etc. other cheesy slogans..etc.
You still have to upgrade your weapons though. Otherwise, I don't see how anyone could beat the Four Kings at SL1.

Alright so I just gave Kaathe the lordvessel and he is telling me to put it on the altar but I am not done playing yet. Will this force me to finish the game? If so can I warp out of here?
You can warp out of there, yes.

Now to find Quelaag!

you can 1-hit the mozzies with throwing knives if you'd rather save the soul arrows. the toxic guys don't respawn either so once you've wiped them all out it's easy time upstairs.

yeah once you've sorted the way through it's really quite short apart from the the backtracking
for logan, gold snake ring, siegmeyer etc.
last run took me about 30 minutes. i wasn't focused on clearing out every last bit of loot though.

Just finished the game. 49 hours at SL 80. Definitely my favourite game this gen.

I just hope the next Souls title has lengthier endings. Something to relax and watch after all the shit you've been through.

i was a bit disappointed also, i thought demon's souls had the better ending even though it's pretty much the same length. and while i love
the kiln of the first flame, seeing the Old One rise out of the ocean beats it hands down

that's not the end of the game. you'll need to place it to open up the rest of the areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom