• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OSX High Sierra is now available via the Mac App Store as a free upgrade

Guess Who

Banned
Very impressed by the UI rendering speed improvements on my 2017 MBP. The UI is now as smooth and responsive on iGPU as it previously was using dGPU. Was hoping for this, but really didn't expect it to become reality.
The is most visible when I open the applications folder grid from the dock. That always used to lag while it slides out and scrolls up/down, when on iGPU. Now it's smooth as butter.

This update should feel fantastic for people with iGPU-only laptops.

It's particularly notable on the 2016 and 2017 15" Pros because the integrated GPUs in those (the Intel HD 530/630) are quite a bit weaker than the Iris GPUs in the 13". Probably helps the 12" MacBook quite a bit too.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Ars Technica has their normal thorough review up. It goes over compatibility. Interesting that the new file system doesn't work on fusion drives right now.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/macos-10-13-high-sierra-the-ars-technica-review/

I use Parallels a lot to run Windows 10 on my mid-2015 MBP. The Boot Camp stuff in this review is worrying. Will I not be able to run Windows on Parallels anymore, or does this ONLY impact Boot Camp?

Apart from that, this seems like a pretty 'meh' update to me. I like macOS a lot, but I hate all of Apple's first-party applications and never use them, so I don't see too much to get excited about here.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I wish I could install this on my mid-2009 mac pro, but I can't. Such bullshit.
Same here. I've upgraded mine with more memory and an SSD. More than fast enough.

I'm kind of angry about it.
Super annoying yes, but it's supported like with Sierra (not officially of course, but there are no known issues in most 2009 models).
Here are some instructions on how to do it.

I'm tempted due to APFS, but El Capitan has been super stable for me so I might wait until we get to a .1 or .2 release.

Fliesen

* smoother animations throughout the OS
* finally, face data should sync across devices through my iCloud photo library
* GIF support in Photos across devices (Albums/Media Type/Animated)

AlexBasch

The Mac (not sure of the model, says it's 2.7ghz Intel Core i5 and has 8GB RAM ) I use at work has OSX 10.8.2. and asked the IT guy if there was a chance to upgrade it, just for the hell of it.

He said it was faulty and it could kill and corrupt the entire machine.

Gonna ask him again. Just to be sure. :p

NekoFever

Installed on my 2011 MacBook Pro and so far so good. It converted me to APFS even though I have an aftermarket SSD, which is something I've wondered about. Things seem nice and snappy so I hope this turns out to be as good a maintenance release as Snow Leopard was.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The Mac (not sure of the model, says it's 2.7ghz Intel Core i5 and has 8GB RAM ) I use at work has OSX 10.8.2. and asked the IT guy if there was a chance to upgrade it, just for the hell of it.

He said it was faulty and it could kill and corrupt the entire machine.

Gonna ask him again. Just to be sure. :p
He's full of shit. He just doesn't want to do more work having to support a newer OS.

Still, 10.8 is 5 years old. So it's probably a machine from 2012 or so. Does it still have an optical drive? I think that's about the time they removed them.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just a quick heads-up that there's a 0-day out there, affects older OSes as well:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-macos-high-sierra-password-vulnerable-to-password-stealing-hack/

Just hours before Apple is expected to roll out the new version of its desktop and notebook operating system, macOS High Sierra, a security researcher dropped a zero-day.

Patrick Wardle, a former NSA hacker who now serves as chief security researcher at ‎Synack, posted a video of the hack -- a password exfiltration exploit -- in action.

Passwords are stored in the Mac's Keychain, which typically requires a master login password to access the vault.

But Wardle has shown that the vulnerability allows an attacker to grab and steal every password in plain-text using an unsigned app downloaded from the internet, without needing that password.

Wardle tested the exploit on High Sierra, but said that older versions of macOS and OS X are also vulnerable.

Wardle created a "keychainStealer" app demonstrating a local exploit for the vulnerability, which according to the video, can expose passwords to websites, services, and credit card numbers when a user is logged in.

That exploit could be included in a legitimate-looking app, or be sent by email.

"If I was an attacker or designing a macOS implant, this would be the 'dump keychain' plugin," said Wardle.

He reported the bug to Apple earlier this month, "but unfortunately the patch didn't make it into High Sierra," he said, which was released Monday.

"As a passionate Mac user, I'm continually disappointed in the security of macOS," he said. "I don't mean that to be taken personally by anybody at Apple -- but every time I look at macOS the wrong way something falls over. I felt that users should be aware of the risks that are out there I'm sure sophisticated attackers have similar capabilities."

"Apple marketing has done a great job convincing people that macOS is secure, and I think that this is rather irresponsible and leads to issues where Mac users are overconfident and thus more vulnerable," he added.

As always, be careful with whatever you install on your systems or the email that you open.

Kind of a dick move for a security researcher to announce a 0-day during High Sierra's launch without first submitting this to Apple privately (no mention of this was made).

NekoFever

Kind of a dick move for a security researcher to announce a 0-day during High Sierra's launch without first submitting this to Apple privately (no mention of this was made).

It says in the article that he reported it a month ago. But still a dick move because companies normally ask for a 90-day window to develop and test a patch when these things are reported.

Guess Who

Banned
Does HEVC mean Quicktime can play h265 now?

Yes. However, only Skylake and newer Macs get hardware acceleration for 8-bit HEVC (so 2015 27" iMac, 2016 MacBooks and MacBook Pros, 2017 21.5" iMac), and only Kaby Lake gets HW acceleration for 10-bit (so 2017 MacBook/MacBook Pro/iMac). Other Macs use software decoders (so performance may vary).

The 2016 15" MBP could theoretically use the GPU to get hardware acceleration for 10-bit HEVC, but Apple has not implemented this for some dumb reason.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
2013 MBP user here and wondering the same. I should probably sell it off. Not really gettin* much use these days.
It's worth it for my late 2013 MBP.

With the new battery, keyboard, trackpad, top and bottom case I got a couple months ago I'll have no reason to get rid of it for a while so every OS update counts for me.

Ovid

It's worth it for my late 2013 MBP.

With the new battery, keyboard, trackpad, top and bottom case I got a couple months ago I'll have no reason to get rid of it for a while so every OS update counts for me.

I need to change my battery (Service Battery warning has been on for well over a year) but I'm afraid that since my storage is SSD it might die on me and the battery replacement would be a waste of money.

I'm only getting about 2hrs of battery life on my Air :(

Iolo

Yeah, I'm gonna wait six months to a year to let them shake out some of the filesystem bugs. Filesystems take years to stabilize.

same question.2011 Mbp with a win7 boot camp.

At some point I should just junk the entire thing and move o

Yea, I plan to get a new laptop this winter. I really don't know if from a power/hardware perspective a 2017 mbp is much better for my use case which includes light gaming. It's the best laptop I've ever owned. Can't decide if I wanna try going back to windows. But whatever I get I want it to last another 5 years.

giga

well that stop autoplaying sounds thing didn't work for me...

just got hit with a video in a yahoo article.

kEOZkwJ.png

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I need to change my battery (Service Battery warning has been on for well over a year) but I'm afraid that since my storage is SSD it might die on me and the battery replacement would be a waste of money.

I'm only getting about 2hrs of battery life on my Air :(
Why would it die on you?

SSDs don't generally just up and die like HDDs do, they gradually break down but you usually have plenty of warning before they're unusable.

Also just make sure you have a backup.

How old is the Air?

On a late 2014 15" MBP. I really want to upgrade, but usually wait a revision or two before diving in. The move to the new file system is what intrigues me and worries me most.

Maybe try it on my Mac Mini upstairs first and see how that goes since that is just an iTunes server and emulation machine in the end.

AlexBasch

He's full of shit. He just doesn't want to do more work having to support a newer OS.
Still, 10.8 is 5 years old. So it's probably a machine from 2012 or so. Does it still have an optical drive? I think that's about the time they removed them.
Oh yeah, he's a lazy guy who helps absolutely no one around the office, but I just thought that was a hilarious excuse to avoid doing any work.

This one doesn't, and going by the specs, this Mac is from around 2012 or so.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh yeah, he's a lazy guy who helps absolutely no one around the office, but I just thought that was a hilarious excuse to avoid doing any work.

This one doesn't, and going by the specs, this Mac is from around 2012 or so.
I assume they'd scold you if you went ahead and updated it anyway. Probably not good to risk the job. lol

He'd probably chew you out and take the laptop and restore it back to 10.8 again. Surely as an IT person he'd WANT an up to date OS at least to close up all the vulnerabilities.

Gamespawn

How do I get off the beta?

I'm on 10.13
Restart an immediately hold command option R until you see the Apple logo. It’ll reinstall your os with the latest public release. Make sure your internet’s good and your data is backed up and you have free time. Mine took 2h30m

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's particularly notable on the 2016 and 2017 15" Pros because the integrated GPUs in those (the Intel HD 530/630) are quite a bit weaker than the Iris GPUs in the 13". Probably helps the 12" MacBook quite a bit too.
Yeah, weaker, while also having to drive higher resolution screen. I would switch to dgpu the moment I plug the computer in. I even have the old version of gfxCardStatus that would do that automatically. Now I honestly don't care, and won't bother doing that anymore. This is the first time in the last 5 years of owning 15" MBPs that things are finally smooth on iGPU, so that alone makes this my favorite OS update on Mac.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
How do I get off the beta?

I'm on 10.13
The OS should have been bugging you every day with a "Release version available!" notification that you would use to download the installer. At least that's what both my machines did.

Then open System Preferences and go to the App Store pane. Find the option that says "Your computer is set to receive beta software updates" and Change it.

I'm deciding myself if I want to jump off now that it's out.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Reading these notes, it definitely seems like it's one of the least flashy and consumer-facing macOS updates Apple has put out. Still, I welcome any and all progress they can make.

Sean

Banned
Even knowing that this is simply Sierra+ it's still surprising how little outward changes there are here.
MacOS has felt stagnant for a long time now...

Yeah it kinda feels like there's just a skeleton crew of engineers maintaining macOS and porting over (some of) the new iOS features each year.

These yearly macOS updates have mostly been about achieving parity with iOS, yet they still have a long ways to go. I want my Home app / HomeKit support. And iCloud backup / Time Machine. Fix the long neglected Mac App Store. And not that I'm clamoring for the News app, but it seems crazy that it came out for the damn Apple Watch before Mac.

Zoc

Super solid release for me. Last month, I set up a remote backup device with my old MacBook Air and a pair of external discs. I've been wanting to set it up as a remote time machine server, too, but that functionality was locked behind a $20 paid "macOS server" app, and I didn't want to risk having to rebuy the app if it wasn't updated for free along with the rest of the OS. Now, it seems they've added the time machine sever functionality to the base so, for free. Sweet!

Two Words

Well, looks like Parallels 13 is fucked. I can no longer VM into my boot camp install of Windows 10 and their online instructions to fix it are equally fucked.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Reading these notes, it definitely seems like it's one of the least flashy and consumer-facing macOS updates Apple has put out. Still, I welcome any and all progress they can make.
They specifically said at WWDC that High Sierra was just a small update with mostly under the hood changes like Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard were.

Seems fine on my 2016 MBP so far except for this weird UI issue:
That's a weird bug.

Well, looks like Parallels 13 is fucked. I can no longer VM into my boot camp install of Windows 10 and their online instructions to fix it are equally fucked.
I'm still on Parallels 10 and it still seems to work fine. Though the app keeps bugging me to upgrade to 13 for $50. Which if you think about it isn't that bad when it would have been $150 if I'd upgraded every year. Except that I literally rarely ever use Parallels because the only reason I even kept Windows around was to play Spelunky. Hell, if Mossmouth announced tomorrow that they were porting Spelunky to the Switch, I'd delete Parallels and Windows off my machine completely.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Did Apple change any of the messages tones in High Sierra? I'm on Synth and didn't used to be -- so either my tone changed during install or I had overwritten the synth tone with something better in the past and Apple restored it during the High Sierra upgrade, I'm trying to figure out which.

Has anyone had any weird processes on their devices since updating? I seem to have bird and cloudd using around 100% and 75% of the CPU making the fans go wild. Not sure how to fix it.

Anywhere to look to find out what applications might break? I have a few mission-critical apps. Them not working is not an option, even for a day.

Top Bottom