• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jazz |OT| Straight, No Chaser

Aizo

Banned
Are you still in Tokyo? Do you like free jazz? If so, head to Aketa no Mise near Nishi-Okubo. The atmosphere is like nowhere else I've ever been in the world and the acts are always incredible.

The last time I was there I saw a trio of guys that were just wild. After their set I had a little chat with them; it really strained my knowledge of Japanese but it was a great experience.

Be forewarned if you do go that the band may have more people in it than the audience.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check it out!
Have you ever been to the Blue Note in Tokyo? Been curious lately.

Went through a huge Jazz phase last year. It was the second one Ive had. first one was all about Fusion, so like weather report, bitches brew, guthrie govan, every artist on jamtrackcentral, etc. Ive also always been a fan of gypsy jass because Django is goat too..

But what really got me into jazz was Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts. been listening to their soundtrack for over 3 years now, weekly and sometimes daily

Last year I WENT IN on Mingus. fucking love Mingus gawdamn dude is king. Wasnt a big fan of Kind of Blue, or coltrane surprisingly. Got into hard bop, bossa nova, a bit of acid, and some cool jazz like Dave Brubeck.

noquarter

Maybe give this a bump.

Been on a bit of a Jazz kick lately, thanks WEAA. Got me to download Shazam, since a lot of the time on their jazz blocks they play three or four tracks in a row and then might say the names.

Nicholas Payton showed up and really liking what I'm hearing. The Egyptian Second Line is so good. Going to try to get a chance to enjoy Afro Caribbean Mixtape this weekend.

Top Bottom