• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

I have what feels like a pretty nooby question, but I'm not sure where else to go for a really solid answer to this

So I have a 2003 Sonata LX with 16 inch tires on it. One of the tires is going. My car before this one was a 97 Sunfire that I bought brand new 15 inch tires for, and then totalled less than 1000 miles after buying the tires. I still have the car and tires.

My question is, what is the downside to swapping those 15 inch tires onto my Sonata? From what I found, it's meant to take 16 inch tires, but can take 15-18 inch tires. Also is the fact that those tires haven't been used much in about a year going to cause issues? I can go get a replacement tire for the Sonata, that's not really an issue. But I'd rather just swap those tires onto it if I can, since I think that makes the most sense assuming I'm not going to be possibly destroying anything or be driving on wheels that could be a liability.

Halp pls

No Love

Banned
I have what feels like a pretty nooby question, but I'm not sure where else to go for a really solid answer to this

So I have a 2003 Sonata LX with 16 inch tires on it. One of the tires is going. My car before this one was a 97 Sunfire that I bought brand new 15 inch tires for, and then totalled less than 1000 miles after buying the tires. I still have the car and tires.

My question is, what is the downside to swapping those 15 inch tires onto my Sonata? From what I found, it's meant to take 16 inch tires, but can take 15-18 inch tires. Also is the fact that those tires haven't been used much in about a year going to cause issues? I can go get a replacement tire for the Sonata, that's not really an issue. But I'd rather just swap those tires onto it if I can, since I think that makes the most sense assuming I'm not going to be possibly destroying anything or be driving on wheels that could be a liability.

Halp pls

They won't fit on the rim. You can only put tires on a rim that is the same size.

TCRS

Banned
goddamn that F-Type is so saxy. fucking love Jaguar nowadays. ten years ago they were boring as fuck with their baroque cars, but now the XF, XJ and the F-Type... HNNNGG!

Halp pls

Are you just talking about taking the wheels and tires off the old and bolting them on the new? It may work but you'll need to confirm that they're the right fit. Bolt patterns for wheels vary from vehicle to vehicle.

Rims/wheels and tires are two different things. The wheel (or rim) is the actual metal that bolts up to the hub and axle, the tire is the rubber that's stretch over the wheel.

Are you just talking about taking the wheels and tires off the old and bolting them on the new? It may work but you'll need to confirm that they're the right fit. Bolt patterns for wheels vary from vehicle to vehicle.

Rims/wheels and tires are two different things. The wheel (or rim) is the actual metal that bolts up to the hub and axle, the tire is the rubber that's stretch over the wheel.

I just mean the rubber. I think. I'm really completely clueless.

ShowDog

Nice car AlphaSnake, always enjoy seeing them in this thread, especially considering that brand is practically non-existant here in Germany. Sure you see one every now and then, but it's still pretty rare.

I love this thread, glad it got renewed. :D

Weather was awesome today so I washed my car and took it for a spin. Need to give it a proper polish and wax soon though.

I've always liked these Mini's, seem like they'd be fun to zip around in and perhaps even slightly practical.

damn... "my question ignored" :(

Guys, I am looking to buy a used car [nothing over 15k] and I kind fell in love with a Jeep Liberty Sport 2008 with low mileage.

Question; is that a good SUV? or I should keep looking? another car on mind is a Hyundai Tucson [2007 to 2010] A lot of people told me that those models are great

What would you define as a good SUV? What are you trying to do with it? What requirements do you have? Do you want gas mileage or power? Off-road capability?

That said...it's Chrylser pre-industry collapse so it's probably shit.

Really though, what kind of things are you looking for, because the Liberty and the Tuscon are, while both small SUVs, totally different vehicles.

Malvingt2

What would you define as a good SUV? What are you trying to do with it? What requirements do you have? Do you want gas mileage or power? Off-road capability?

That said...it's Chrylser pre-industry collapse so it's probably shit.

Really though, what kind of things are you looking for, because the Liberty and the Tuscon are, while both small SUVs, totally different vehicles.

I am looking for Gas mileage and off road capability. I know that the Liberty gas mileage is meh but like I said I feel in love with it. The test drive was fun however the Tucson is real fun to drive and the reviews and people in general are telling me that it is a great small SUV[2007 to 2010]. it is also cheaper than the Liberty. I am just kind it afraid because it is Hyundai. Should I be worried about that brand?

I am looking for Gas mileage and off road capability. I know that the Liberty gas mileage is meh but like I said I feel in love with it. The test drive was fun however the Tucson is real fun to drive and the reviews and people in general are telling me that it is a great small SUV. it is also cheaper than the Liberty. I am just kind it afraid because it is Hyundai. Should I be worried about that brand?

Haha no, later '00s Hyundais are probably a good bit more reliable than Jeeps. Early '00s Hyundais were terrible but they upped their game incredibly fast.

How much off-road capability are you looking for? The Xterra is tons better off-road than the Liberty with slightly worse mileage (22 hwy vs 20 hwy). The Tuscon, on the other hand, has much better mileage but is really more of a tall car therefore a wimpy baby off-road.

Edit: Seriously look at off road videos of Xterras vs videos of Tuscons, it's worth a laugh.

Edit the second: Full disclosure, my DD is an Xterra and I love it, even if the mileage is rather poopy.

Malvingt2

Haha no, later '00s Hyundais are probably a good bit more reliable than Jeeps. Early '00s Hyundais were terrible but they upped their game incredibly fast.

How much off-road capability are you looking for? The Xterra is tons better off-road than the Liberty with slightly worse mileage (22 hwy vs 20 hwy). The Tuscon, on the other hand, has much better mileage but is really more of a tall car therefore a wimpy baby off-road.

Edit: Seriously look at off road videos of Xterras vs videos of Tuscons, it's worth a laugh.

I will. I am not going crazy with the off road area however I am aware about the Xterras issues from 2005-2010. "coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure"

and I am going to test drive a 2004 Xterra Sunday. It should be fun. Thanks for the info tho. Shopping for a car is a pain but I know it takes time.

I will. I am not going crazy with the off road area however I am aware about the Xterras issues from 2005-2010. "coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure"

and I am going to test drive a 2004 Xterra Sunday. It should be fun. Thanks for the info tho. Shopping for a car is a pain but I know it takes time.

Yeah look at some videos and decide there if the Tuscon will be enough for you; it's happy enough playing in a little mud but the Xterra is basically an amateur rock crawler. I can't argue the much better mileage though, 29 hwy vs 20 hwy.

Unless they're out of your price range I'd stick with the 2005 and later Xterras for the larger motor. Pretty big power bump (180 vs 260) and a lot more towing capacity (5000 vs 3500 if that matters to you). The transmission cooler issue is easily resolved by bypassing or updating the bad lines, you can google around for it if you're curious. I initially wasn't considering them because of that issue but decided it wasn't too bad to deal with; eventually though I ended up in a new one because I got a really good deal.

Malvingt2

Yeah look at some videos and decide there if the Tuscon will be enough for you; it's happy enough playing in a little mud but the Xterra is basically an amateur rock crawler. I can't argue the much better mileage though, 29 hwy vs 20 hwy.

Unless they're out of your price range I'd stick with the 2005 and later Xterras for the larger motor. Pretty big power bump (180 vs 260) and a lot more towing capacity (5000 vs 3500 if that matters to you). The transmission cooler issue is easily resolved by bypassing or updating the bad lines, you can google around for it if you're curious. I initially wasn't considering them because of that issue but decided it wasn't too bad to deal with; eventually though I ended up in a new one because I got a really good deal.

I didn't know about this. it is that easy ah? I will google it and thanks again.

I didn't know about this. it is that easy ah? I will google it and thanks again.

It may be a little tricky if you're not used to working on your own cars but it's really as simple as rerouting the out-port back to the in-port and plugging the things it used to hook up to. At least I think that's all it was, been a few months since I looked at a diagram of the fix. With that in mind, just be sure to check the transmission dipstick for oil/coolant contamination if you're thinking about getting one.

PS - C'mon shopping for cars is fun, enjoy yourself.

Malvingt2

It may be a little tricky if you're not used to working on your own cars but it's really as simple as rerouting the out-port back to the in-port and plugging the things it used to hook up to. At least I think that's all it was, been a few months since I looked at a diagram of the fix. With that in mind, just be sure to check the transmission dipstick for oil/coolant contamination if you're thinking about getting one.

PS - C'mon shopping for cars is fun, enjoy yourself.

I am trying but dealers are damn annoying. They like to call me everyday. lol

The GM recall shenanigans are so much shadier than Toyota's response to their issues. But I have a feeling the DOJ won't go after them as hard as they did with Toyota.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I've always liked these Mini's, seem like they'd be fun to zip around in and perhaps even slightly practical.

The R56 Minis have reliability issues, though. The F56 models coming into dealers now have BMW-sourced engines as opposed to the Purgeot-sourced engines of the previous generation, so that should help.

No Love

Banned
Think X5 just 2 more X-ier. Wake me when the X8 coupe is shown. ;o

X4 looks really nice. I love the X5M and X6M... if I needed an SUV i think i'd wait til the X6M hit 40-45k and pick it up with warranty. They seem like they'd be a lot of fun.

ascii42

X4 looks really nice. I love the X5M and X6M... if I needed an SUV i think i'd wait til the X6M hit 40-45k and pick it up with warranty. They seem like they'd be a lot of fun.

The X6 is a pointless, stupid vehicle. M-ify it, though, and somehow the ridiculousness makes it circle back to something interesting.

No Love

Banned
The X6 is a pointless, stupid vehicle. M-ify it, though, and somehow the ridiculousness makes it circle back to something interesting.

Agreed. I love the styling even though the rearward visibility is probably awful. I think they are really slick.

Its hilarious that its a massive widebody SUV... and it only comfortably seats 4 people lmao

Brand new 435i lost to the S5 that was debuted in 2008:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2014-audi-s5-vs-2014-bmw-435i-comparison-test
I do agree that BMW looks beautiful, far better than the S5. It's the ultimate posing machine.

Saw that earlier.

In isolation, the 435i is a very satisfying car—fast, smooth, and beautiful. None of our complaints come into stark relief until you spend a fair bit of time in both it and the S5. If the S5 didn’t exist, the 435i would feel great. BMW’s problem is that the S5 does exist.

Ouch.

Agreed. I love the styling even though the rearward visibility is probably awful. I think they are really slick.

Its hilarious that its a massive widebody SUV... and it only comfortably seats 4 people lmao

This whole "coupe" SUV trend is so hilariously idiotic. They've taken the segment that was meant to be utilitarian and finally realized they can totally do away with that concept and just sell aesthetics to soccer moms, Saudis, et. al.

Ty4on

This whole "coupe" SUV trend is so hilariously idiotic. They've taken the segment that was meant to be utilitarian and finally realized they can totally do away with that concept and just sell aesthetics to soccer moms, Saudis, et. al.

I think the utilitarian aspects of a modern SUV to be very overblown. Safety wise the weight is often a hindrance (handling, braking and more kinetic energy to absorb in a crash) and while they're perceived as big cars interior room really isn't that great.
DTZyLiE.png
Shows X5 vs 5 series touring with numbers in mm. Note 4cm more width inside for the 8cm wider body. Boot space according to European measurements is 12-16% smaller in the 5 series touring, but the GT has more than the X5. For whatever reason though the X5 was the cheapest in the US. On the German site the 530dx touring was 54k, X5 30dx was 59k and the 530dx GT was 60k. Touring was around 5-10% better on fuel than the other two.

Edit: Seems like I accidentally scaled the X5 pic hence the blur. Sorry for that.

Smokey

I've already told my fiancé whenever we have my son, future $300 million ambidextrous MLB pitcher, that they gonna be riding in this

2014-infiniti-qx80_100450977_l.jpg

Give no fucks! If they get in an accident I need them to easily walk away. This big motherfucker gives them a good chance lol

I think the utilitarian aspects of a modern SUV to be very overblown. Safety wise the weight is often a hindrance (handling, braking and more kinetic energy to absorb in a crash) and while they're perceived as big cars interior room really isn't that great.

Shows X5 vs 5 series touring with numbers in mm. Note 4cm more width inside for the 8cm wider body. Boot space according to European measurements is 12-16% smaller in the 5 series touring, but the GT has more than the X5. For whatever reason though the X5 was the cheapest in the US. On the German site the 530dx touring was 54k, X5 30dx was 59k and the 530dx GT was 60k. Touring was around 5-10% better on fuel than the other two.

Edit: Seems like I accidentally scaled the X5 pic hence the blur. Sorry for that.

The small crossover craze has pretty much been the final nail in the coffin for the archetypal "SUV" of the 80s and 90s. Small cargo areas, no real off-road capability, meh suspensions, etc.

I'll give props to the current RDX for having an impressive amount of room for its size, but at the same time I'm pretty sure the Outback has more cargo volume than 90% of the small CUVs on the market, including its taller sibling.

I will grant that in a twisted way they are safer in some cases simply because they're larger.

I've already told my fiancé whenever we have my son, future $300 million ambidextrous MLB pitcher, that they gonna be riding in this

Give no fucks! If they get in an accident I need them to easily walk away. This big motherfucker gives them a good chance lol

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

I drove a QX56/Q80...pretty incredible interior. Extremely popular car in my area too.

No Love

Banned
Why are we posting incredibly ugly cars like the QX56?
Get a Range Rover instead of that hideous shit

Laugh all you want but the Range Rover Evoque is really sexy to me. and the lease is like $450. It has a variant of the turbo Focus ST motor in it... really nice car.

TCRS

Banned
If you want utility buy a Discovery 4 (or LR4 as it's known over the pond), you want proper off road capabilites and luxury buy the big Range Rover or a Land Cruiser. All other SUVs are basically large family cars with mild off road capabilities.

I personally love the boxy design of the Disco, although the latest face lift has made it a bit too blingy for my taste.

ruxtpin

Banned
Got a clear-bra put on my 14 GLI today. Went and meandered around the local Porsche dealership as I've thought about cross-shopping the new Corvette with the Cayman S (or GTS). Haven't driven either, but the new Caymans are pretty nice looking.

Smokey

Got a clear-bra put on my 14 GLI today. Went and meandered around the local Porsche dealership as I've thought about cross-shopping the new Corvette with the Cayman S (or GTS). Haven't drive either, but the new Cayman are pretty nice looking.

I test drove a cayman s some months back. really liked it. wish it has a bit more power though.

Top Bottom