• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

I am not a big fan of this season at all. I loved game of thrones because of how consequential every action and decision truly was. They didn't sugarcoat and give you bullshit, when main characters made stupid or dumb decisions they had to face the reality of it like any other character. I also loved how the shocking moments and plot turns were actually well calculated and long developed plots within the story that I just didn't pick up on. It felt like such a brilliant show.

Now it's just dumb but fun to watch plot twists with absolutely no logic behind it. This just feels like cheap dumb fun. It's cool I guess but it's not really what GoT is to me :(

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I am not a big fan of this season at all. I loved game of thrones because of how consequential every action and decision truly was. They didn't sugarcoat and give you bullshit, when main characters made stupid or dumb decisions they had to face the reality of it like any other character. I also loved how the shocking moments and plot turns were actually well calculated and long developed plots within the story that I just didn't pick up on. It felt like such a brilliant show.

Now it's just dumb but fun to watch plot twists with absolutely no logic behind it. This just feels like cheap dumb fun. It's cool I guess but it's not really what GoT is to me :(

Tanking hypothermia is a virtue of Valerian steel. It's totally rational.

Also all of Littlefinger's plotting would've exploded in his face had Arya mentioned the fact that she got it from him.

Biske

"Rushed"

>Next season isn't coming out for atleast a year and a half

I don't think you know the definition of rushed...

...also it's been 7 seasons. The only adaptation that is true to the material, that managed to pump out 90 episodes, was the Chinese production of Three Kingdoms, and they managed to pump out those 90 episodes in literally 3 months. No really. They started preproduction about 2005ish, and then released the episodes between May and June of 2010. Except they released the episodes daily over there.

The biggest issue with GoT is that they should've shotgunned the material and adapted it faster instead of having the customary 'breaks' between each season.

But really, I wouldn't call it rushed. The only other option is having another 5 seasons where some of the actors will get too old or the show will become too bloated.

Otherwise, they don't need to have little time stamps of time progression to appease some people who need help understanding that things don't happen within the hour. This isn't 24.

Each episode is rushed as hell. I don't care when they release the seasons, and its clear that they ran out of GRRM material and now just wanna get over it cause writing is hard. But each progressive season has been more and more rushed.

Until we get to this episode. It's not even just a matter of hours which is beyond the pale, its a matter of days thats starting to get stupid.

And yeah, I get it, we all can assume stuff is happening that they don't care to show, but that carelessness transfers to everything.

It takes away all the suspense and drama when "oh how will they raise the dragon?"

"HUGE DRAGON CHAINS THEY JUST HAPPEN TO HAVE!"

Will Gendry make it back in time to... oh he is already there.

Will Dany make it in time to... op already there.

Are they going to esc.... oh already leaving but dragon is dead.

OH SHIT WILL Jon surv.... oh yup he's fine.

Nothing means anything.

The show is still gorgeous and fun to watch but dear god I don't thibk I've ever seen plot structure go to shit so fast. Them wasting so much time on this arya and sansa crap is disturbing

The GoT of season 3 is a completely different show.

AngryMoth

This episode was utter garbage.

The premise of the expedition is ludicrous to begin with. The fact that no major character dies expect Thoros is pathetic and the fast travel that saves the day is hilariously contrived. The Sansa/Arya stuff was almost as bad. And this season has kind of been making Tyrion into a chump, he has been wrong about basically everything.

So many stupid moments. Like at the end when Benjen says "there's no time!" when all he had to do was jump on the horse with Jon and they'd both easily get away still. The corny dialogue between Danny and Jon at the end.

They show has been able to coast on spectacle at times but the action in this this episode was kind of lacklustre compared with their previous set pieces and without that as a distraction the completely amateurish writing is exposed. Without the source material they have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

I swear to god

With the Hound going to kings landing

If we don't get Clegane Bowl

Here's the thing I don't get about wanting the Cleganes to fight: Mountain is portrayed as several magnitudes stronger than Hound, with the exception of the brief clash Robert interrupted.

Cant imagine it being much of a fight.

dabig2

Anyone think so far this is the worst season yet? Worse than season 5?

I've been pretty down on this season and this episode had me reaching for my liquor often but I'd still rate the season well above Season 5, and depending on how the finale goes down, it might edge out season 6.

Burt

Here's the thing I don't get about wanting the Cleganes to fight: Mountain is portrayed as several magnitudes stronger than Hound, with the exception of the brief clash Robert interrupted.

You're absolutely right

And Brienne beat Sandor, so who really needs that fight

But we fan fiction now

And to throw my two cents in, I've really enjoyed this season outside of this episode. It's been dumb, but it's been dumb fun. This episode found the line for just plain dumb and stumbled over it though. The main through line was terrible, and everything else was the culmination of the worst parts of the season that came before it.

Skilletor

How am I supposed to know how long it takes for someone to travel long distances without someone beating me on the head with a hammer with it?

I don't need to know exactly how long to know that there magnificent seven would have died of hunger by the time a raven reached dragonstone.

There's no tension at all when people can defy logic and teleport where they need to be.

How am I supposed to know how long it takes for someone to travel long distances without someone beating me on the head with a hammer with it?

The problem isn't necessarily that the travel time isn't called out, it's that there's no realism to how travel works in the universe any more. Sansa said in this episode that Jon had been gone for weeks. With the amount of traveling he's doing it should be months if not years. And this has a very real effect on how you view characters' actions, especially in Winterfell right now. If there was a more realistic portrayal of how long Jon has been gone, Sansa and the Northern lord's actions and feelings might make more sense.

Has anyone besides me yet confused as to why in season 6 the walker Jon killed with his sword didn't have the same effect as this recent one with a hive mind domino effect ?

Or the fact that I believe Danny has never been to the wall yet she's up there waiting with no bitching or resistance from the nights watch

fanboi

Banned

The Dorne guy got him quite easy... yeah yeah he was cocky but he won easily.

I don't need to know exactly how long to know that there magnificent seven would have died of hunger by the time a raven reached dragonstone.

There's no tension at all when people can defy logic and teleport where they need to be.

Well, it wouldn't have been quite that long. The raven would probably have taken 2-3 days to reach Dragonstone, assuming it stopped to sleep. Gendry's run back to the wall would have taken 8-48 hours (however long they had been traveling, it was never made clear). Daenerys would have taken probably 1-2 days to fly to Eastwatch and then north. So probably looking at somewhere between 4-7 days that they were on the rock on the lake. Not long enough to die of starvation (takes weeks at least, if you have water), but they would be dead of cold.

Has anyone besides me yet confused as to why in season 6 the walker Jon killed with his sword didn't have the same effect as this recent one with a hive mind domino effect ?

Or the fact that I believe Danny has never been to the wall yet she's up there waiting with no bitching or resistance from the nights watch
It's possible that the hivemind transfers completely to the Night King when he is close, he raised the white walkers after all; He was already close at Hardhome.

Or maybe they just didn't want to reveal the twist that early

Jeels

"Rushed"

>Next season isn't coming out for atleast a year and a half

I don't think you know the definition of rushed...

...also it's been 7 seasons. The only adaptation that is true to the material, that managed to pump out 90 episodes, was the Chinese production of Three Kingdoms, and they managed to pump out those 90 episodes in literally 3 months. No really. They started preproduction about 2005ish, and then released the episodes between May and June of 2010. Except they released the episodes daily over there.

The biggest issue with GoT is that they should've shotgunned the material and adapted it faster instead of having the customary 'year-long breaks' between each season.

But really, I wouldn't call it rushed. The only other option is having another 5 seasons where some of the actors will get too old or the show will become too bloated.

Otherwise, they don't need to have little time stamps of time progression to appease some people who need help understanding that things don't happen within the hour. This isn't 24.

Ya, I feel.like this thread in particular really over emphasizes the sense of time as a complaint (don't get me wrong there are other legitimate complaints) and my only thought is that it's because they are used to the structure of.the. books where every moment is documented. Not only is that uncessary, but it's also why the latter books are so shitty and go nowhere.

Media

Also:

We are happy to announce Benjens back!

(Five seconds later) we regret to inform you Benjen was eaten by a zombie horde

Ya, I feel.like this thread in particular really over emphasizes the sense of time as a complaint (don't get me wrong there are other legitimate complaints) and my only thought is that it's because they are used to the structure of.the. books where every moment is documented. Not only is that uncessary, but it's also why the latter books are so shitty and go nowhere.

Right. Like, complain about the Littlefinger and Arya shit, I loathe littlefinger and what his character is. And Arya should've stabbed him already.

But the time aspects? It's like eh, this isn't 24, each episode doesn't take place within an hour in-universe time.

Hazmat

My guess is it de-animates whatever that WW reanimated. That was all of the wight in that fight except for the one (conveniently. If the WW at Hardhome didn't raise any of those wights they'd be fine.

Or the show isn't written very well and this is a plothole/retcon. We can't really ignore that as a possibility anymore.

My guess is it de-animates whatever that WW reanimated. That was all of the wight in that fight except for the one (conveniently. If the WW at Hardhome didn't raise any of those wights they'd be fine.

Or the show isn't written very well and this is a plothole/retcon. We can't really ignore that as a possibility anymore.

Yeah I'm leaning towards the not written well aka nanomachines

Macka

They were at Eastwatch, which is an unmanned castle on the Wall. There was no Night's Watch members there to bitch.

They're only at Castle Black at this point afaik.

uceenk

worst episode of the season or even of all series

it's like i'm watching another TV series, in Game of Thrones world or ASOIAF world, there's no way someone could survive with so many white walker

also dialogue between Dany and Jon was so cringe, when Dany cried i just want to laugh, didn't feel anything at all

Hazmat

Also:

We are happy to announce Benjens back!

(Five seconds later) we regret to inform you Benjen was eaten by a zombie horde

I've seen this a lot, do people not remember that Benjen was in season 6? This was a quick end for him, and he didn't get the full role that Coldhands had in the books, but it's not like we haven't seen him.

jviggy43

On top of this, why did that one walker remain alive while every other one died? How convenient

I'm entertained by the show even if it feels like it went from Star Trek to Star Wars. Or Star Trek TNG to Star Trek '09.

The Dorne guy got him quite easy... yeah yeah he was cocky but he won easily.

Oberyn min-maxed agility to counter Mountain's strength. Hound has slightly higher agility than Mountain, but he still dumped most of his skill points in strength.

Paches

Pretty sure one of them deduces exactly that after the first little skirmish.

All I want from all this is Gendry rowing and running set to the Rocky theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PtvLTZS4Ik

Pretty sure he threw that raven to Dragonstone himself. Rocked the whole mountain. Imagine a smug Tyrion going: "I believe we just got a raven", with Dany thinking it was a dragon.

You know what was actually the worst part of this episode? The Hound -- the fucking HOUND -- taking that hammer and then going 'fuck that hammer, gonna use this tiny dagger instead'. Man, Gendry is going to have to smith a whole new one new... in King's Landing... yeah.

Burt

Jon Snow just hard shutting his eyes in response to "You should get some rest" might be the funniest thing this shows done

Outside of

Haha your name's Dickon

Top Bottom