• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xando

But this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Two year low? Things seemed fine two years ago.

Compare that to "The hottest summer since records began!". Now that's an alarming headline.

Well you know how clickbaity todays media is. Economic data from today is far from good but also far from apocalypse. If you read what economists think about it it's mostly "Meh, hopefully it doesn't get worse".

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Well you know how clickbaity todays media is. Economic data from today is far from good but also far from apocalypse. If you read what economists think about it it's mostly "Meh, hopefully it doesn't get worst".

It's not like anything is going to happen in the next couple of years that could make it way worse

Xando

It's not like anything is going to happen in the next couple of years that could make it way worse

Well there's that elephant in the room.

But the chancellor says it's all fine and stable:

Hammond argues that the UK economy is in good shape, despite the slowdown in the last quarter.

“Employment at record highs and it’s set to go higher still”, says Hammond, adding that “The British economy is resilient”.

Q: But isn’t the slowdown in growth due to Theresa May’s Brexit plans?

These negotiations will be “tough and complex”, Hammond replies.

That’s why we need strong and stable leadership and a clear mandate, to get the best possible deal, he concludes.

PJV3

Yeah, if you're a Tory/brexiteer it is probably best not to worry about economic figures for a while anyway.

As long as the sky doesn't fall in.

suedester

Banned
It's not much of a news story is it though? According to that BBC article, economists had forecast 0.4% and it turned out to be 0.3%. Shouldn't the headline be "Growth is almost exactly what economists had predicted it would be"?

Statistics like "The slowest rate of growth since this time last year" are also dull as dishwater :-/

It's often revised anyway.

Maledict

When asked about the economic slowdown and if it was related to the hard Brexit and plans to leave the single market, the chancellor responded:

These negotiations as we go into our exit from the European Union are going to be tough and complex, that's why we need strong and stable leadership and a clear mandate to get the best possible deal for Britain we cannot afford a coalition of chaos under Jeremy Corbyn

He must win a prize for hitting all three targets at once right? It is impressive the level of party discipline they have around messaging. Unless something peculiar happens, this election is going to be an absolute slaughter.

*Splinter

When asked about the economic slowdown and if it was related to the hard Brexit and plans to leave the single market, the chancellor responded:

He must win a prize for hitting all three targets at once right? It is impressive the level of party discipline they have around messaging. Unless something peculiar happens, this election is going to be an absolute slaughter.
Depressing

StayDead

Jesus. The Conservatives actually sicken me. I'd love to see if they actually KNOW the answer to that. I doubt they do, but the idiots are not going to care.

excowboy

First post, but I've read the entire thread so far. I'm unrelentingly depressed at the state of things today - I'm a remain voter and a Green party member in Worcester.

Wanted to reply to Hue about the Green's being disengenous on the progressive alliance in Sussex - if you read that article it seems like the door is open but they've not had the response from LD to stand down as yet, so let's see what happens there.

I received notice of our nomination here yesterday, Louis Stephen. He's a good guy and I'd be proud to vote for him but I have asked our local party to consider backing probably our Labour candidate for the best chance of keeping the incumbent Tory out FWIW.

Look forward to some positive news as the 8th June approaches but the fact that May can still stand up at PMQs and blame a global financial crash on Labour, as she did on Wednesday, and have noone call her out says it all really. We're fucked and not getting unfucked soon.

Moobabe

First post, but I've read the entire thread so far. I'm unrelentingly depressed at the state of things today - I'm a remain voter and a Green party member in Worcester.

Wanted to reply to Hue about the Green's being disengenous on the progressive alliance in Sussex - if you read that article it seems like the door is open but they've not had the response from LD to stand down as yet, so let's see what happens there.

I received notice of our nomination here yesterday, Louis Stephen. He's a good guy and I'd be proud to vote for him but I have asked our local party to consider backing probably our Labour candidate for the best chance of keeping the incumbent Tory out FWIW.

Look forward to some positive news as the 8th June approaches but the fact that May can still stand up at PMQs and blame a global financial crash on Labour, as she did on Wednesday, and have noone call her out says it all really. We're fucked and not getting unfucked soon.

Who's running in Worcester this time around? My mate's mum (Joy Squires) did a pretty decent job last time out, but sadly lost out to the Tories.

The big one is Richmond - if the Greens stand there, there is a real chance Goldsmith is let back in.

This shouldn't be horse trading - if you're not targeting the seat and are likely to lose your deposit, and there's an alright Lib Dem and it's a target seat, don't stand. That's the position we had, in reverse, in Brighton and it's the position the Greens had in Richmond.

This "progressive alliance" talk seems to be more about getting the Greens in the news than anything else.

EDIT: This reporting is interesting.

LD Shadow Chancellor Susan Kramer gets a higher billing on the opposition comments than John McDonnell, in the Mirror.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-suffers-pre-election-blow-10313735

If you actually look at how the papers are shifting, it does almost look like the Mirror is flipping towards the Lib Dems, not Labour, this election. A tabloid swinging behind the Lib Dems would have been unthinkable only two years ago.

Jezbollah

First post, but I've read the entire thread so far...

Please don't lurk excowboy. I'd like you to join in more. I think I'm nowhere near where your beliefs are (I consder myself soft centre-right) - I'm disillusioned with the current state of our politics. And I find it cathartic to be discussing it with everyone here.

Mr. Sam

A good Brexit deal isn't going to be denied us because we don't have a "clear mandate" for it, but I suppose the majority of people in this thread already knew that.

excowboy

Who's running in Worcester this time around? My mate's mum (Joy Squires) did a pretty decent job last time out, but sadly lost out to the Tories.

Apparently she said she won't stand this time, but yes, she has been an excellent local representative. I don't think she's a Jezza fan though!

Please don't lurk excowboy. I'd like you to join in more. I think I'm nowhere near where your beliefs are (I consder myself soft centre-right) - I'm disillusioned with the current state of our politics. And I find it cathartic to be discussing it with everyone here.

Don't worry, I just wasn't logged in on my phone til now! Agreed on the catharsis front - look forward to joining in with some more constructive thoughts over the next few weeks :)

PJV3

A good Brexit deal isn't going to be denied us because we don't have a "clear mandate" for it, but I suppose the majority of people in this thread already knew that.

It's one of those things that sounds logical if you don't give it much thought. All that really matters is that your government will be present all the way through negotiations.

Why is there a bulletin on the BBC feed reporting Keir Starmer responding to yesterday's BoJo comments about Syrian intervention? Isn't that Emily Thornberry's job? His remit is Brexit, hers is Foreign Office.

Maybe he was directly asked or something.

Rodelero

Why is there a bulletin on the BBC feed reporting Keir Starmer responding to yesterday's BoJo comments about Syrian intervention? Isn't that Emily Thornberry's job? His remit is Brexit, hers is Foreign Office.

Maybe he was directly asked or something.

He more and more seems like the unofficial leader of the opposition.

Paul Nuttall said:
In many ways it is an election which is on our turf. It is a Brexit election.

A whopping Conservatives majority will only serve to put Brexit in peril. Hordes or Tory lobby fodder will allow the prime minister to backslide safe in the knowledge that she has the votes banked.

We are not convinced that the prime minister who campaigned to remain, in the referendum, will get the deal that the British people want.

She is already beginning to backslide on immigration, with the government now telling us that immigration will run at today's level for the next decade. She has said nothing to guarantee our waters and protect our fishermen. And she will not rule out paying a huge divorce bill once we have left the European Union.

Ukip goes into this snap election determined to hold this government's feet to the fire on Brexit. We will act as the government backbone in these negotiations.

He was doing so well, until that last line. Tory response will be predictable. "Each vote for Theresa May and the Conservatives is a vote for a strong and stable Brexit. Every vote for UKIP is a vote that could let in a weak coalition of chaos led by Jeremy Corbyn..."

The better UKIP do, though, the better it is for Lib Dem campaigns across the country. So hey, please split the Leave vote as much as possible, Nuttall.

What's amusing is that this, if mirrored, is exactly what the Lib Dems would say, if you remove the attack lines on Corbyn:

"In many ways it is an election on our turf (we actually described this election as being on "our terms") - a Brexit election.

A whopping Conservative majority would only serve to secure the hardest possible Brexit. Hordes of Tory advocates of Brexit-at-any-cost will allow the PM to secure the worst possible deal, safe in the knowledge that she has the votes banked..."

Hazzuh

From the FT, Labour's campaign problem in a nutshell:

C-fDy__XkAAA5SE.jpg

Acorn

He was doing so well, until that last line. Tory response will be predictable. "Each vote for Theresa May and the Conservatives is a vote for a strong and stable Brexit. Every vote for UKIP is a vote that could let in a weak coalition of chaos led by Jeremy Corbyn..."

The better UKIP do, though, the better it is for Lib Dem campaigns across the country. So hey, please split the Leave vote as much as possible, Nuttall.

What's amusing is that this, if mirrored, is exactly what the Lib Dems would say, if you remove the attack lines on Corbyn:

"In many ways it is an election on our turf (we actually described this election as being on "our terms") - a Brexit election.

A whopping Conservative majority would only serve to secure the hardest possible Brexit. Hordes of Tory advocates of Brexit-at-any-cost will allow the PM to secure the worst possible deal, safe in the knowledge that she has the votes banked..."

Ukip aren't doing shit. Their King Cunt has left and all they have is baby cunt without the "I'd have a pint with him" factor.

They are dead and I will take their death as the only victory in this election. Booked a day off.

Uzzy

4 posts above I mentioned the same story with even a giant picture and no reply? Hmmm interesting ;)

I noticed it afterwards! I liked the picture, but didn't see a link so I just thought it was an amusing picture.

I also see that UKIP are campaigning for proportional representation, an elected House of Lords and an English parliament. I imagine that the Lib Dems are still wanting proportional representation too, but they offering any more constitutional reform? Huw?

tomtom94

Leave voters back the fascist in the French election:

C-ftJgcXYAA72fU.jpg

That's a pretty terrible question - surely there are ways people can answer "I think Le Pen is a disgusting fascist, but yeah, she'd probably be pretty good for Britain if only by making France look like a shit hole by comparison"

Acorn

That's a pretty terrible question - surely there are ways people can answer "I think Le Pen is a disgusting fascist, but yeah, she'd probably be pretty good for Britain if only by making France look like a shit hole by comparison"

I don't think they'd think further than "She's an evil cunt but she hates the EU so YAY"

Mr. Sam

"Good for Britain" and "Good" are two distinct things. For example, you might think Le Pen initiating Frexit would be the last jenga piece that brings the EU crashing down and Britain would benefit from the fallout.

As dumb as the decision to leave the EU was, I don't think it necessarily correlates with a love for fascism.

Leave voters back the fascist in the French election:

C-ftJgcXYAA72fU.jpg

Unsurprising. I imagine it's starting to dawn on a lot of Leavers how shit things are going to be and the hope is that if Le Pen gets in, she'll trigger a 'Frexit' which they think will give the UK more bargaining power.

Xando

It's still dumb considering the EU burning down would cause a massive financial crisis that wouldn't help britain at all.

Just shows people have no clue what they're talking about

Uzzy

Unsurprising. I imagine it's starting to dawn on a lot of Leavers how shit things are going to be and the hope is that if Le Pen gets in, she'll trigger a 'Frexit' which they think will give the UK more bargaining power.

Which would possibly be better for the UK. Same thing with Trump saying he wanted a trade deal done quickly with the UK. That was a better foreign policy position for the UK than Hillary's position.

That certainly doesn't mean that they're good for their countries, or necessarily translate into support for them, but it's not unreasonable to say they'd be better for the UK.

It's still dumb considering the EU burning down would cause a massive financial crisis that wouldn't help britain at all.

Just shows people have no clue what they're talking about
Yes but they're got all their pseudo-intellectual political rhetoric ready to pretend like it would be the best thing for us in regards to treaties, trade deals, etc.. rather than just 'I have an irrational hatred and fear of the EU and immigration.'

Its amazing how much this has turned into just 'well, I reckon...' as opposed to anything substantive.

Acorn

Which would possibly be better for the UK. Same thing with Trump saying he wanted a trade deal done quickly with the UK. That was a better foreign policy position for the UK than Hillary's position.

That certainly doesn't mean that they're good for their countries, or necessarily translate into support for them, but it's not unreasonable to say they'd be better for the UK.

Yeah about that... https://www.ft.com/content/f6be0ac8-2a73-11e7-bc4b-5528796fe35c

What's disgusting? They're right

Lol. A fascist President in France surely is gonna be amazing for the UK...

It's pretty much like claiming Trump is good for the UK, or really for anyone actually.

Le Pen / Trump would/will damage both their respective countries and others. The only question to what extent.

Which is all BS. Even Trump knows that by now.

Meadows

Banned
That's the stupidest question ever.

Le Pen would be better for Britain because she'd absolutely fuck up the EU so they'd be forced into a weaker deal with us.

That doesn't mean I want her to win. I think Macron will do great in France and I hope he wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom