• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now I've seen/heard it all. Flat-Earth theory, really? WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen people who believe in a "hollow earth" as well.

They believe that there's an advanced civilization that lives on the inside of the earth, and that there are massive chasms and holes that go down there in the Bermuda triangle and North Pole.

Not making this shit up.

I guess at least they believe that the earth is a sphere-ish object.

Syncytia

Do they think the Earth is on a giant Petri dish?

How else you gonna stop the water from spilling off the edge??

More or less, yeah. Antarctica is actually a giant ice wall that encloses the flat earth.

And there are oceans and land beyond it that we don't know of. Nazi U boats were trying to get through to find their own continent to settle on.

They believe that there's an advanced civilization that lives on the inside of the earth, and that there are massive chasms and holes that go down there in the Bermuda triangle and North Pole.

Not making this shit up.

Wait you're trying to say the aurora borealis isn't light from the inner sun escaping out of the poles!?!

Bluth54

In all good conspiracy theories, nefarious forces are benefiting somehow. Here, what's to gain by hiding the fact that the Earth is flat? Or, in conspiracy language: Cui bono? Soros? Big-spherical Earth?

According to the Flat Earth Society FAQ:

There are three common explanations for this, but in the end without toppling the Planar Conspiracy there is no real way to know.

To Maintain Legitimacy: During the Cold War we faked the moon landing. Shortly after they realized the reason they could not reach the moon was due to the flatness of the Earth. They were stuck in a lie, and had to continue it or lose legitimacy of our governments. Even today we would still hold onto this lie due to role Science plays in our ruling government.
To hide the truth of the Bible.
To Gain Power and Money: By siphoning off the space budgets and denying the world the resources of the Antarctic they gain a considerable amount of power and wealth.

JordanN

Banned
why is flat earth having such a huge resurgence anyways

I blame Trump for this.

When the President of the U.S posts shit like this:

jcIFuhs.png

He basically declared an all out war on academia. Now all the truthers are coming out feeling vindicated that someone as dumb as they are, is now in power.

I blame Trump for this.

When the President of the U.S posts shit like this:

jcIFuhs.png

He basically declared an all out war on academia. Now all the truthers are coming out feeling vindicated that someone as dumb as they are now in power.
Did you even watch the debates? He never said that.

/s

KingBroly

Banned

Not making this shit up.

It apparently was started by Some Nazi Scientist who believes our ancient ancestors live in the center of the Earth.

But that's not the most fucked up theory ever.

There's a theory that there's a Black Hole in Antarctica and that's why they don't let anyone go near it.

Idk if anyone's asked this yet but how would they explain plate tectonics?? Do we just fall off the earth eventually?? 😂😂
Edit: apparently it's Antarctica that's keeping us in
...Wow

Syncytia

"lol, he thinks there are other planets."

Didn't those "scientists" say Pluto isn't a planet? They don't even know what they're talking about, just making it up as they go along! Or maybe they discovered that Pluto is actually an alien structure in space and it disappeared from the sky so no they have to cover it up but claiming Pluto isn't a planet. 🤔

Not making this shit up.

Hollow Earth is ripped from early 19th century sci-fi novels that got all swallowed up and incorporated into spiritualism and later fascist and nazi cult doctrines. Shit is cray.

Flat Earth drives me nuts in particular because there has never been a writing-capable human civilization that believed as a consensus that the earth was flat. Everyone can see the curve of the horizon from certain vantage points, the ancient greeks used poles casting shadows to calculate the circumference of the Earth within like, 10 kilometers or something. It's not some ancient truth. I'm pretty sure even the Bible doesn't claim the Earth is flat. Certainly a spherical Earth was never contested by the early church the way the heliocentric model was.

It's maddening.

At least the anti vaxxer trend has died off..i think

Flat earth is just another fucking trend. Its not worth called a theory.
Everyone should call it the flat earth myth

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I figure most who buy into these trends are people who are bored with their lives and want to feel like they're part of some important cause.

Wait wait wait. How do flat-earthers explain how you can get to the other side of the Earth by going east or west? Is it just like the pacman board with little teleporters?

digdug2k

Oh God. I have an old friend on an "I hate Bill Nye" schpeal right now that includes posts about how he not worth listening too because he's "not a scientist", followed by long posts where a fucking pig farmer explains why global warming isn't happening (and I wouldn't even mind that from a pig farmer if the guy knew anything about the science at all).

But its got nothing on these people... you sorta wonder if there's some sort of actual smart message encoded in the bullshit... but there isn't.

You know they're really detached from reality when they can make that claim

I wish science played such a massive role in our ruling government
Tbh, flat earth society IS A troll website, or at least it originally was. It's scary that some people​ actually subscribe to that line of thought, however.
I used to read the FES forum for giggles, and you could tell they were trolling by the way they​ just ignored some of the questions.

RedShift

How do flat earth people explain time zones? That's got to be one of the most obvious observable effects of Earth being round right?

krioto

I choose to believe that this movement is just a gigantic troll attempt - it can't be real; nobody is truly that moronic to believe this.

edit - e.g. see the .gif above - I mean really, truly world class trolling. If you really believed this, you'd have to be a grade-A fucking imbecile

jiiikoo

Banned
One of my best friends in HS was awesome, nice, driven, played alongside me on the football team. He was a cool, funny dude. Kind of dumb, but harmlessly so.

Occasionally, in the last few years, I'd see people post weird shit on his wall about illuminati banks or some shit. So this thread made me interested in checking out to see what his latest thing was.

Second thing on his wall was some conspiracy posted by someone he knew, with this as a comment from a different friend:

gO3EZTr.png

wut

I hope there's some kind of explanation for why I can't see the sun over North America when I'm in Australia just by looking North (or whatever these nutters use for directions). I guess it's just a really powerful spotlight that shines straight down and is totally invisible from any other angle. Except it can also illuminate the moon. Maybe that's a spotlight, too.

Spectone

More or less, yeah. Antarctica is actually a giant ice wall that encloses the flat earth.

And there are oceans and land beyond it that we don't know of. Nazi U boats were trying to get through to find their own continent to settle on.

This would imply that as you get further away from the North Pole that countries would get larger and larger so New Zealand would end up the size of the USA. Either that or the southern oceans are huge.

That's hilarious, cause the sun and the moon would appear to grow and shrink in size dramatically as it gets closer and further away when viewed from any location as it circles the Earth.

Even when trying to plan it "logically" it falls apart with some level of scrutiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom