• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorillaz-Humanz |OT| After All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jzero

It's alright, only liked 7 tracks but I still have 5 left.
I must be the only person that hates interludes and skits on albums.

Dominator

Listening to it now, I just finished Momentz. That song was fantastic.

I'm enjoying it a lot so far, no tracks I've disliked yet.

Gorillaz

I just recently learned about kelela (like a month or 2 ago) and became a fan easily. Chick has a nice sound to her and it works real well in that submission track.

I'm not one of those guys who is dismayed Gorillaz have evolved to be a more collaborative band than the original incarnation, but damn Busted and Blue. That sweet, sweet Albarn voice ;_;

Valkrai

Just finished the album. It was great but bonus tracks except The Apprentice are pretty forgettable. I'm gonna give the album another listen tomorrow but I think I'm being unfair to Momentz

Goldmund

The sound is pretty thin and sparse for a Gorillaz album, here's a rhythm, here's a few layers to drape it, now dance; every song is the first half of Broken. The bass is pretty de-emphasized through-out. Overall it's a weird mix between futuristic and throwback, like how people in the future would reconstruct the pop music of today for a club scene in a movie I wouldn't watch. It still has lots of variation but doesn't seem as eclectic and "excitedly forcing a square peg into a round hole" as previous albums in its soundscapes. I've been oscillating (wildly) between "this is complete trash!" and "this is wonderful!". It didn't sound as immediately thematically interrelated as Demon Days or Plastic Beach did, maybe I need to pay better attention to the lyrics on my second listen.

I think I like this, though.

hughesta

Banned
It didn't sound as immediately thematically interrelated as Demon Days or Plastic Beach did, maybe I need to pay better attention to the lyrics on my second listen.
album concept is 'you're at a party and the world starts ending.'

listening with that in mind I think it works really well.

She's My Collar

giphy.gif

Problems with this album for me so far are these

1) it doesn't really have a strong identity at all. Thematically, sonically, production-wise its all over the place and it doesn't really establish a unique sound in the process.

2) it doesn't really sound like new ground for Gorillaz, which marks the first album they've made that doesn't really seek to do anything they haven't done before. It sounds like a retread of Plastic Beach's sometime abstract synthpop sound.

I'm about 3/4 through my first listen though I think I've heard most of these songs before at this point. Submission is probably the best one so far.

V_Arnold

She's my Collar, Andromeda and Saturn Barz are amazing. A few other decent tracks in there too. Half of the album is not really my genre though, so that's that.

Still, I am glad that the Gorillaz is back.

hughesta

Banned
damn 2Smashed I completely disagree with both of those points. the upbeat club sound is way different than PB's largely relaxed, synthetic/orchestral mix, and the apocalypse theme feels really prevalent on this album

Songs I like:
Ascension
Strobelight
Saturnz Barz
Momentz
Submission
Andromeda
Busted and Blue
Let Me Out
She's my Collar
Hallelujah Money
The Apprentice
Out of Body experience
Ticker tape
Carnival
14/19 for me

Though I also feel that dialing back the collabs would have been good. Mostly like the album but I think it needs a few more listens for me to love.

Vince Staples needs to be on everything.

I didn't know who he was, I do now fam.

I do now.

I still wish there was more MF DOOM and Del collabs though, but I'm an old school hip hop/underground guy so...yeah a lot of music doesn't work for me these days.

That said this shit is fantastic, I am hooked just like Demon Days from the intro. Right now I am on strobelight, and it is just the most awesome thing.

This is a great return to form even if there isn't a lot of punky grungey sound yet.

EDIT: FUCKING REGGAETON? DUDE REALLY? This is some real first album/G-sides shit with saturn barz.

robotrock

Banned
I didn't know who he was, I do now fam.

I do now.

I still wish there was more MF DOOM and Del collabs though, but I'm an old school hip hop/underground guy so...yeah a lot of music doesn't work for me these days.

That said this shit is fantastic, I am hooked just like Demon Days from the intro. Right now I am on strobelight, and it is just the most awesome thing.

This is a great return to form even if there isn't a lot of punky grungey sound yet.

summertime 06 is a classic, enjoy the ride

Realeza

Banned
People making long ass posts after one listen, seriously....

Music takes multiple spins to sink in. I would have given up on many classics based on my dumbass first listen.

Haven't heard this album yet but yeah that's exactly what I like to hear. Looking forward to this

Amazon music has a free trial where you can listen to it right now.

That's what I'm doing.

Alright so I love the fact they did a plastic beach middle intro, that's great shit. I also love how the non conformist oath is in itself one of conformity. Does anyone else think this sounds like King Buzzo from The Melvins talking? Love it.

After that is Submission which is amazing holy shit.

Now Charger.
tenor.gif

I dunno, with the choir and stuff, it feels right out of Demon Dayz.

Nah it's a perfect blend of 2001 era gorillaz with Demon Days stuff, with a bit of that weird distant depressed funk from Plastic Beach.

The whole album is very apocalyptic, much like Demon Days was, whereas Plastic Beach was the cracking of the celebrity and american dream reflecting an uncertain future with hope, this album is once again of overwhelming anxiety with some of that whimsical fever dream love of the first album and G-Sides.

I actually think We Got the Power might be the best song on the album.

It's also the most Gorillaz-esque song on the whole thing too

HowZatOZ

Banned
Eh. Its alright but feels safe almost. Definitely prefer their older albums but what they've released in this new one is fine for 2017, just might not be quite what fans were after when Gorillaz announced they were finally coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom