• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Fularu

Banned
So I've been binge listening to Ruy's theme over the various games

Man the Sega Megadrive score really doesn't get enough credit.. it completely rips the muffled, terrible SNES one and is so punchy and close to the arcade one

I really love the MD sound

Teknoman

I only have two games for Saturn: Panzer Dragoon and NiGHTS Into Dreams.

I had a decent sized list of games I wanted for it, but I think I need to let these ones go at this point due to price:

Panzer Dragoon Zweii
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Guardian Heroes
Virtual On (with the controller)
Radient Silvergun
House of the Dead

I'll still likely grab a few others that are still cheap though.

Zweii, Virtual ON, and House of the Dead are pretty cheap on the import side. I wouldnt recommend GH or Saga in a language you cant read though.

That's one of my favourite ship/weapon combos. the slower movement of the hammer duke can be annoying for making use of the iframes from power ups but for dodging bullets it's nice, and the weapon selection is sweet.

oh nice, you like the same combo. played some last night. what's semi neat is if i max out a weapon and change numbers it's still maxed out even if i die. if i change back to that number.

oh nice, you like the same combo. played some last night. what's semi neat is if i max out a weapon and change numbers it's still maxed out even if i die. if i change back to that number.
There's a pretty amazing guide to the game that explains the somewhat odd power up mechanics. Might be on shmups, I know the author posts there.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Returned from holiday to this little haul:

mpNEJ0o.jpg

not the typical retro faire, but I've got a SD2Vita adapter coming in this week and looking forward to loading up my vita with all the retro games I had been using my PSP to play on the go.

we were talking messy setups before; I reworked my setup a bit today. Now that I've got some Retrovision component cables, I've moved my Toshiba CRT in there and consolidated mostly all my consoles to one area, as well as rerunning my cables to my SCART switch and distributor.

Here's a nice panorama of chaos.

Almost at Yes Boss status

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
on man Valkyrie Profile is so expensive!

nice haul morfeo =)

Thanks!

True lies chilling on the side like

da07cd519053e31cb8e5d5efdd030fa7.gif

Just recently discovered this game, I love top down shooters like this.

Toblerone too! Hope it's not the PAL version.

Yeah its 50hz trash, definitely need to search out an ntsc-version! Seriously though, it is old-style, not the ones mentioned in the article luckily.

What game is that bear from? Looks big

Probably

Fularu

Banned
I know what I'm doing in November or December.

You should check the list of supported file formats for the HxC firmware, I wouldn'T be surprised to see both MSX2 and X68k in there too.

The great thing with Gotek drives is that they are just as good as everdrives while beeing 15$ only (just grab the yamaha ones, you're going to reflash them anyway, no need to pay an arm and a leg for pre flashed versions, just flash them yourself, the flash card is only 2$ anyway)

Edit http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/

Yep, MSX2, FM Towns, X68k, PC-88 are all supported

My X68k has a SD card hard drive replacement. The floppies work perfectly too so I have no desire to stop using massive 5 1/4 inches.

Problem is my PC98 won't accept IDE flash cart drives for some reason? It's possible that I just can't get it to image properly since I don't have Windows. I'm not sure.

I might look into this for my MSX too but most MSX stuff is cartridge right? I'm not sure if there's much advantage in this for an MSX.

Still, I have too many projects on my backlog so it's going to be a while before I get around to this.

Fularu

Banned
My X68k has a SD card hard drive replacement. The floppies work perfectly too so I have no desire to stop using massive 5 1/4 inches.

Problem is my PC98 won't accept IDE flash cart drives for some reason? It's possible that I just can't get it to image properly since I don't have Windows. I'm not sure.

I might look into this for my MSX too but most MSX stuff is cartridge right? I'm not sure if there's much advantage in this for an MSX.

Still, I have too many projects on my backlog so it's going to be a while before I get around to this.

Floppies fail. Especially the more you use them. Wit the insanely high costs of X68k games, I wouldn't risk them tbh. But it's your call obviously :)

Floppies fail. Especially the more you use them. Wit the insanely high costs of X68k games, I wouldn't risk them tbh. But it's your call obviously :)

Well, I do have a SCSI-SD Card setup with just about everything I'd need or want but I still prefer playing with floppies. I love it from the giant boxes to the -- not just one but two! -- massive floppies at a time to the noise that the drive makes. It's a big part of what makes the X68000 one of the greatest gaming platforms. Just getting the thing turned on is impressive. It truly is the arcade equivalent of a computer.

Fularu

Banned
Well, I do have a SCSI-SD Card setup with just about everything I'd need or want but I still prefer playing with floppies. I love it from the giant boxes to the -- not just one but two! -- massive floppies at a time to the noise that the drive makes. It's a big part of what makes the X68000 one of the greatest gaming platforms. Just getting the thing turned on is impressive. It truly is the arcade equivalent of a computer.

Funny you mention that, there are mods for the Gotek drive to replicate disk drive sounds depending on the computer you're emulating the floppies for.

I can see the appeal (but honestly, I'm fine with the lack of sound :p)

Funny you mention that, there are mods for the Gotek drive to replicate disk drive sounds depending on the computer you're emulating the floppies for.

I can see the appeal (but honestly, I'm fine with the lack of sound :p)

Oh my god. I'll have to get one sooner.

Every day.

Was playing Gradius II PCE just yesterday.

I am likely to get a 32KV300 Trinitron in the coming weeks. I have a guy holding one for me a couple hours from where I live. If I go that route, I will be looking at component as my main input rather than RGB on a much smaller PVM. Which got me to thinking about a Wii and virtual console, classic compilations, light gun and rhythm games, and even GameCube. I take it you enjoy Wii on a 4:3 CRT just fine? Ever use it for stuff that's not VC or GameCube?

Peltz

So on the Gameboy Interface for the Gameboy Player, how do I use the augments for the Low Latency mode? I thought they would show up in the Swiss menu, but all I see is the option to set 240P and some minor features.

Each GBI version has different features. The regular GBI has the most options. Low Latency mode has a few less options. And Ultra-Low Latency mode (which is what I use) has no options.

Rirse

Neo Member
Oh darn, my fake Everdrive MD I bought last year for 40 on Amazon isn't working. What a shame, as I been wanting to get the legit Everdrive X5 and this is a perfect excuse to buy it. Or should I just buy the X7 instead?

Producer

Every day.

Was playing Gradius II PCE just yesterday.

Nice, i actually was hoping to get some input on pce games on wii. I have a few pc engine / cd games on mine and to me they look / feel good but i never owned the original system before so i dont know how accurate they actually are. Wish i had the cash to buy one + games haha

TeaJay

TL;DR

Stop using your Aliexpress multicarts, keep using your Everdrives – but know the design flaw.

I think this is a pretty sound conclusion but some people just want to see the world burn, ergo we get idiotic posts saying YOU MUST DESTROY YOUR EVERDRIVES RIGHT NOW

Personally I have the Famicom N8, SD2SNES, Mega Everdrive X7 and Turbo Everdrive v2.3. I will report if any of them start acting up.

I think this is a pretty sound conclusion but some people just want to see the world burn, ergo we get idiotic posts saying YOU MUST DESTROY YOUR EVERDRIVES RIGHT NOW

Personally I have the Famicom N8, SD2SNES, Mega Everdrive X7 and Turbo Everdrive v2.3. I will report if any of them start acting up.

Agreed. I have just about every everdrive and havn't had any issues yet.

Hell I accidentally plugged a 18v power supply into a twin famicom and it started smoking like crazy. I unplugged it, blew the smoke out of it and plugged in the proper adapter. Going on a year or so now and it still runs like a champ!

Peltz

Agreed. I have just about every everdrive and havn't had any issues yet.

Hell I accidentally plugged a 18v power supply into a twin famicom and it started smoking like crazy. I unplugged it, blew the smoke out of it and plugged in the proper adapter. Going on a year or so now and it still runs like a champ!
That poor Twin Famicom.

D.Lo

You know your collection is getting out of control when your daily Japan hauls have Virtual Boy, Super Cassette Vision and MSX...

And $15 for a MINT ass Dragon Scroll. Love that game.

Vespa

Nice haul! The cover art for these games is great, that Konami Kong game, in particular, is amazing.

I still to this day want to try out the Virtual Boy.

Top Bottom