• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaskade

I finished my plane. Took me a little under an hour. I wasn't really rushing. I can't wait to do more though. It's almost therapeutic. I put on some music and it kind of allowed me to shut my brain off.

Once my sorting is done I am debating what to do first. Do I rebuild some classic sets I still have the instructions to, such as these:
6986%20Mission%20Commander.jpg

6987_Message_Intercept_Base.jpg

or do I make a MOC castle that I just make up as I go along. I always liked the modular basis of the castles.

I don't play Minecraft but regardless, this doesn't even really look like LEGO to me. It looks like those LEGO knock-offs you always see in the LEGO aisle.

How so? It still looks distinctly Lego to me, but I just finished with the mini modulars which use a lot of those 1x1 tiles, so that look is still pretty fresh in my mind.

I'm mostly surprised they didn't go with a design that was closer to actual cubes, since that's sort of the big thing about Minecraft. Small 1x1 pieces like that are kind of a pain to work with. It seems like the set was designed more as a display model than to be used for any actual Minecraft-style creative building.

Rebuild the Blacktron HQ <3

I once had every single set in this picture:
1991_B-Tron_M-Tron.jpg

But the wheels and magnets to the M-Tron stuff is missing, as are the unique baseplates to the Blacktron II base. I love the detachable cockpits of all the Blacktron II stuff, but hated that they ditched the black and yellow color scheme of the original stuff. And the original Blacktron figures>all other Lego Space mini figures.

Instagram is sure fun to take pictures of LEGO with.

b22f24fc58ee11e180c9123138016265_7.jpg
You got the droid escape set but didn't post pics of the AWESOME SANDTROOPERS that come with it?!

I was at Target tonight and was soooooooooo tempted to pick this up along with the Endor minifig pack you got just for the trooper minifigs and bikes...but I was able to resist the temptation and walked away...I'm not really thrilled of having misc parts laying around (especially a bunch of spare R2-D2s) while I just use the troopers from both sets.

So I heard a distressing noise tonight. You ever hear a thump, and dreadfully know what it is?

Yeah, my mini modulars fell off a shelf.

Thankfully, they took it like a champ, only took about 15 minutes to get everything back together, and some ample pressure to get the support bricks to clamp together, but emergency averted.

rataven

Put this little guy together tonight...

fnqG0l.jpg

Along with his big brother...

OHKNol.jpg

NPu7ql.jpg

Sorry for the terrible cell pics. I have a newfound appreciation for Cafe Corner; so much more detail than I remembered. The Hotel sign was a brilliant build, and the sidewalk tiles spelling out 'cafe' were a nice touch. The inside is completely empty, so I may work on putting my own little interiors together for it. Great set.

Once my sorting is done I am debating what to do first. Do I rebuild some classic sets I still have the instructions to, such as these:
6986%20Mission%20Commander.jpg

6987_Message_Intercept_Base.jpg

or do I make a MOC castle that I just make up as I go along. I always liked the modular basis of the castles.

If I were you I would do the ship first, bases never really appealed to me as much.

Also, why does that base have an upside down Triforce on it?

I received this today, my collector's mentality overwhelming monetary concerns (though the other two OOP modulars are way too pricey to do anything but make by parting them out, unless I come into a secret inheritance.

b4a25533.jpg

WANT!

How much did you pay? I guess around $400-450?

Damn, maybe I should try to find one now before prices go over $500.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I received this today, my collector's mentality overwhelming monetary concerns (though the other two OOP modulars are way too pricey to do anything but make by parting them out, unless I come into a secret inheritance.

b4a25533.jpg

How much? You make it sound like its less insanely expensive than the other OOP modulars

wetwired

Have become more and more interested in the Creator line these past few weeks, so I finally caved and placed a new order. Hopefully they'll arrive before the end of the week.

5767:
5767-0000-xx-23-1.jpg

5892:
5892-0000-xx-23-1.jpg

Those 2 reminds me of these ones from a few years back

4993-0000-xx-23-1.jpg

lego_creator_fast_flyers.jpg

I actually bought 2 of the fast flyer set because I saw it half price and was early on in my adult Lego appreciation phase so I was building up pieces.

DiscoJon

Banned
Going to the Lego store in Bellevue, WA tomorrow. Never been to one of the stores before, what should I expect? Besides Lego stuff, that is.

MrDaravon

Has anyone here built the Tantive IV, and if so how was it? We're just getting into this, and looking at the Star Wars sets I would like this seems to be the only one that's currently still available at MSRP (only at Amazon) but is discontinued and is about to completely go out of stock. So I'm thinking if I want to actually get it I should probably get it ASAP.

Aside from that though I'm going to wait a month or so until I pay off the ~$380 we already spent on Legos (assuming I buy the Tantive IV) before picking up anymore. Aside from that one I think I'll probably pick up the Republic Frigate and X-Wing for sure. I do also like the Imperial Shuttle, but I don't know if I like it enough for the price. Then the holy grail for me is the UCS Super Star Destroyer; my wife and I are actually thinking about picking up both that AND the Death Star so she can build that while I'm doing the SSD, but that's going to be a costly bitch.

Outside of that my wife is interested in involved buildings that don't have a lot of "loose" pieces, for example stuff like the winter playsets she didn't like because they had houses, but then a ton of minifigs and smaller things in them. We found these ones that she does like, are there any other ones like this? I'm thinking at this point after we pick these up we might just look into the custom build sets that people make and post.

10193 Castle Medieval Market Village
10211 Grand Emporium
10214 Tower Bridge
10218 Creator Pet Shop
10224 Town Hall

MrDaravon

When you say the custom build sets, are you assuming there are instructions available?

Right; just browsing lego forums it seems like people are able to make diagram/instruction pics (maybe using some program?) and will then post them. I didn't see anything that was explicit step by step instructions (but I also really didn't look), but stuff that you could totally make and figure out using the pics if you had the right pieces which seemed to usually get posted.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Right; just browsing lego forums it seems like people are able to make diagram/instruction pics (maybe using some program?) and will then post them. I didn't see anything that was explicit step by step instructions (but I also really didn't look), but stuff that you could totally make and figure out using the pics if you had the right pieces which seemed to usually get posted.

Ah - OK. Well I'm assuming you're aware that people will post instructions for simpler stuff, but some of the crazy MOC's that you've been seeing in this thread (for example) have no building instructions. If someone builds a model in LDD or something similar, you can generate steps that way, but these huge builds are typically done in Lego bricks only.

Just a heads up so you don't get your hopes up too high! :)

9Soag.jpg

All this talk of the Blockade Runner going OOP made me bite. I'm in the UK but £130 from Amanzon.com is OK. Prices on ebay have gone craxy, not 3 weeks ago I missed one for £52 wihtouth the figures (which I don't mind).

Now they are about the same as Amazon but used.

MOC is coming along, just getting a feel for it really, not planned too much other than the overall size and scale. It's going to end up a slightly more boxy take on a star detroyers. I think. Want to add some kind of homage to Vic Viper on the front so similar to the Falcon with mandibles.

sfIc5.jpg

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Creator fan bro-fist.

I have Hillside House, Log Cabin and the new blue car.

The Log Cabin quick build is a nice little building. Probably prefer to the advanced.

Spocker

All this talk of the Blockade Runner going OOP made me bite. I'm in the UK but £130 from Amanzon.com is OK. Prices on ebay have gone craxy, not 3 weeks ago I missed one for £52 wihtouth the figures (which I don't mind).

I hope the customs doesn't catch you. Could end up costing as much as in UK in the end.

Tempted to pull the trigger on the Hoth Battle set (small set with snowtroppers) and the Endor set with the other ones. Would be the first lego I have bought in almost 20 years.

Would love a tiefighter but just can't think of anywhere to put it. What do you all do with most of your sets?

oneHeero

I had a blast in the Lego Store, spent near $400!

Fire Brigade
Faclon Millenium
Valentines Heart gift box
Friends Set (smaller one)
6 extra mini figures

I hope my VIP points show up, I havent seen them added to my card :\ I signed up at the register and she put them on the card but said I had to finish registering online, which I have but still no go. I should have a $15 coupon plus I have a $25 GC to Lego so I was going to purchase GE during double points week :\

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I had a blast in the Lego Store, spent near $400!

Fire Brigade
Faclon Millenium
Valentines Heart gift box
Friends Set (smaller one)
6 extra mini figures

I hope my VIP points show up, I havent seen them added to my card :\ I signed up at the register and she put them on the card but said I had to finish registering online, which I have but still no go. I should have a $15 coupon plus I have a $25 GC to Lego so I was going to purchase GE during double points week :\

It takes a few days the first time (if I remember right). I got my card like a month after myself, just keep an eye on it.

Excellent choice on the Fire Brigade by the way. You'll be patting yourself on the back for that purchase within the next few months.

Shiv47

WANT!

How much did you pay? I guess around $400-450?

Damn, maybe I should try to find one now before prices go over $500.

mrklaw said:
How much? You make it sound like its less insanely expensive than the other OOP modulars

Just over $400 shipped, compared to the $1000+ for the others. Still quite expensive, but a cost I can (sort of) rationalize more than the others.

DodgerSan

Has anyone here built the Tantive IV, and if so how was it? We're just getting into this, and looking at the Star Wars sets I would like this seems to be the only one that's currently still available at MSRP (only at Amazon) but is discontinued and is about to completely go out of stock. So I'm thinking if I want to actually get it I should probably get it ASAP.

Aside from that though I'm going to wait a month or so until I pay off the ~$380 we already spent on Legos (assuming I buy the Tantive IV) before picking up anymore. Aside from that one I think I'll probably pick up the Republic Frigate and X-Wing for sure. I do also like the Imperial Shuttle, but I don't know if I like it enough for the price. Then the holy grail for me is the UCS Super Star Destroyer; my wife and I are actually thinking about picking up both that AND the Death Star so she can build that while I'm doing the SSD, but that's going to be a costly bitch.

Outside of that my wife is interested in involved buildings that don't have a lot of "loose" pieces, for example stuff like the winter playsets she didn't like because they had houses, but then a ton of minifigs and smaller things in them. We found these ones that she does like, are there any other ones like this? I'm thinking at this point after we pick these up we might just look into the custom build sets that people make and post.

10193 Castle Medieval Market Village
10211 Grand Emporium
10214 Tower Bridge
10218 Creator Pet Shop
10224 Town Hall

I have the Tantive IV and love it. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you got it.

Also, has this been posted? Lego renews Star Wars license for 10 more years :)

Jintor

I bit the bullet and ordered an X-Wing from Barnes and Noble.

$66 internet inc. shipping v $130 in retail stores (lowest I found was $117 I think)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I picked this up yesterday:
IMG_5846.jpg

Is this a new thing? Have they released other sets like this? There were two others I didn't recognize.

It's going to be a series. I think the only other two they've released is Tatooine with Sebulba's Pod Racer, and Naboo with a Naboo fighter. I think there are pictures of a few of the ones planned to be released later somewhere (Endor, Bespin, Yavin IV)

It's going to be a series. I think the only other two they've released is Tatooine with Sebulba's Pod Racer, and Naboo with a Naboo fighter. I think there are pictures of a few of the ones planned to be released later somewhere (Endor, Bespin, Yavin IV)

Yeah I thought about not getting these but what the hell. I still think I am going to stick with the original trilogy ones though...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
God help every person in this thread...

At one point I am going to have to start ebay'ing my old sets to get new ones haha.

Or, save them for a few years and sell them for even MORE profit! :p

They seriously need to announce another non-Star Wars mega set for us non-Star Wars folk. I know Town Hall is coming, and it's awesome, but I'm talking a Tower Bridge-esque model. :|

MrDaravon

Just bought the Tantive IV set, god damn it lol

Definitely no more for us for a bit, only jumped on this one just because Amazon is about the last place that still has it (at least at retail price). In a month or two once I completely pay off the credit card from these I'll probably buy the SSD and get my wife either the Death Star or a couple of the big modular sets so we can build them together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom