• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread (READ MOD POST)

I think this is the most likely scenario. Bioware Montreal was clearly not ready to fully develop a AAA game on their own, which is a shame because they ARE very good at combat design. Unfortunately it seems they needed more help on just about everything else. I could easily see EA dissolving that studio now and extracting the top talent back to Edmonton.

What games has Bioware Montreal developed?

Was pretty good from what I played in the 10 hour trial

Same here the 10 hour trial was over before i knew it.
Still its a shame open world games have such a hard time to keep fps at 30.
Recently the only open world game i know that did was Horizon for most of the time.

Damn, given the games that have come out in the recent months this isn't a good look at all. I have a ton of other games to play, a 75 isn't going to make me go out and add this one onto the pile.

Fury451

Banned
So it looks like all of that awkward and bad dialogue that was leaked in the preceding weeks turned out to be just as bad in context based on what I'm seeing.

That's really unfortunate, I didn't expect this to be quite so polarizing, but even some of the most positive reviews have things that give me pause to purchase in terms of how they described it.

Probably going to give this a pass, because if the story and the writing are as mediocre, inconsistent or straight up bad as they are, there's really not a lot for me to be interested in here right now. It's kind of nice to hear the gameplay is generally good though.

Gudji

One of the most beloved franchises in gaming as fallen into mediocrity, EA and Bioware have done it once again. Welp, fuck them.

Kaibutsu

with all the preview reaction it's actually higher than I thought it would be. Still looking forward to playing it tomorrow and seeing it for myself.

Expecting the price on this to drop fairly quickly. Will keep an eye out for the Digital Foundry article to see if the PS4 Pro version is worth getting used after a few patches drop

I was really hoping they'd knock it out of the park with this one after ME3 left me incredibly disappointed. Although, maybe some average fun is what I need from this series right now.

I'm sure ME:A isn't the disaster it's being made out to be but launching in a year where every game is a 9 or a 10 isn't going to help it any.

Well ... I can "try" to at least experience it since I got it 20% off out of gmg anyway.

Kinda sad though that I just did a mass effect playthrough of all three games and it was my first time playing 1.

Hopefully they can revamped something with an expansion or dlc at least .

vivekTO

I didn't know that three studios worked on it, i thought only montreal is doing the major work
Montreal
Edmonton
Austin

uNCoQjA.png

Wait a min.... you know guys they really are ME:A

Disker

Wow this baffled me, some faces have no (almost one flat texture) detail and looks worse or similar as ME2 facial details en textures. Looked at the gamespot review, damn this is really really bad :(

Texture overall is lacking wth.

Freeman76

The Machinima review is a pretty good watch.

I never listen to IGN or Gamespot, but Eurogamer usually seem pretty accurate to me and they were far from glowing on it. Like I said earlier in the thread my Preorder is cancelled but I so wanted this game to be good. Guess I'm looking for reasons to take the plunge anyway lol.

I can't wait to jump in to be honest. I had a blast with the trial and I've been itching to get back.

I feel the exact same way. I'm loving the gameplay and it looks incredible on ultra PC settings. I have never really cared about stories in video games so some shoddy writing doesn't bother me.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I didn't know that three studios worked on it, i thought only montreal is doing the major work
Montreal
Edmonton
Austin

uNCoQjA.png

Three studios of hundreds of people over 5 years made this? That's kinda sad looking at the result of this series.

parabolee

I'm 15 hours in and to be honest if it wasn't for some dodgy animations and glitches and some bad writing here and there (it's mostly good), the game would be easily scoring in the 90's across the board IMO.

The issues with the animations are BLOWN out of proportion. Now the game is WAY buggier than a game with this time and budget should ever be, and it SHOULD be getting crap from reviewers for that (and it is).

But under the glitches and odd crappy animation, the game is FANTASTIC. Maybe not ME 1-3 levels of good but I am loving the hell out of the combat, exploration and story concept. I loved the Mako in ME1 so the Nomad is super fun now the plants actually have things to explore for. The multiplayer is really fun too from the few hours I have put in so far.

Looks like this game really needed another 6 months to fix bugs and improve animations. Will be a damn shame if this game gets massively overlooked because of this.

But hey, I have thought the Bioware hate has been out of control for years now. Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition are two of my all time favorite games. And Mass Effect 3 was not only my favourite in the series but is my favourite game of all time! (See my site www.MassEffectIndoctrination.com).

Do not understand the hate at all, it seems like people were angry at EA for buying Bioware and have been looking to hate on the games ever since. Also there is a disturbing organized campaign of far-right wing anti-"SJW" hate against Bioware I have observed. Not suggesting that is effecting review scores at all though.

Gudji

Montreal
Edmonton
Austin

uNCoQjA.png

Meanwhile at Amsterdam a studio that never made a RPG before makes a GOTY contender with the same budget (or lower). If you told someone 6 months ago that Horizon would be reviewing better than ME:Andromeda everyone would make fun of it.

Can't wait to people to get their hands on this thing, it's going to be a shit show once people find all flaws.

And yes, I'm fucking pissed at everyone at EA/Bioware that thought this game was good enough for the franchise.

Ascenion

So from what I'm reading consensus doesn't really exist, but what I've gleaned is Andromeda is possibly the most poorly developed game BioWare has made in the past decade (Dragon Age 2 had polish it just cut every corner possible to end up being the circle of recycled environments that it was) and is in general a regression from the trilogy aside from combat. Schreier, buddy we need you. There has to be more to this. This can't be the culmination of 5 years work.

Lt-47

Montreal
Edmonton
Austin

Montreal did the majority of the work, they had the lead on this project. Edmonton and Austin were there for support, they always worked like that

K.Sabot

Montreal
Edmonton
Austin

uNCoQjA.png

Looks like everyone gets to take the L this time.

No shoveling it off to "it was the C team" anymore...

Some bugs in this game are just mind blowing. If you are wearing a helmet, the rain will just hit your face inside of the helmet, and skip the helmet completely. It`s so weird.

Dammit I was wondering why my dudes face was so sweaty in his helmet lmfao

3 studios and 5 years my god

prwxv3

Not only are they proud of this game, but they apparently put a lot of work into it.

Combat seems like a major regression too. I basically completely played the old games by using my team mates to target enemies, now you can't control them at all?

They did put alot of work into it. It's been 5 years bro.

jtb

Banned
There's no way this is as bad as Dragon Age 2. Literally impossible. At least this game seems to have engaging combat. Dragon Age 2 combat is terribad.

DaBuddaDa

These scores are very disheartening for a big fan of the series like myself. I will no doubt play it but I won't be in a rush. Sounds like a good Summer 2018 pickup when nothing else is coming out and it's been fully patched.

TI82

Banned
Wow, 3 studios and 5 year and this is the turd they put out. This is more telling of internal struggles than anything else IMO

These scores are very disheartening for a big fan of the series like myself. I will no doubt play it but I won't be in a rush. Sounds like a good Summer 2018 pickup when nothing else is coming out and it's been fully patched.

As many have said you can't really patch over bad storyline and writing. Even the weird mocap may not be fixable. :S

Freeman76

There's no way this is as bad as Dragon Age 2. Literally impossible. At least this game seems to have engaging combat. Dragon Age 2 combat is terribad.

I was thinking the same thing. DA2 took place in about 2 areas that looked the same, had a shit story, boring sidequests and poor combat (mostly). I dont see how this cant at least score better than that....it's almost like the whole controversy over these games subconciously affects the mass image or something (not saying thats the case but it doesnt make a lot of sense).

vivekTO

Not only are they proud of this game, but they apparently put a lot of work into it.

They Shouldn't be proud

I think they have every right to be proud of , still there will be thousand of players which will enjoy ME:A, lets not get into NMS style bashing, for you its not something to be proud of fine, it is for them and they have every right to do so.

jtb

Banned
Where's this five year stuff coming from?

They almost certainly started full production after Dragon Age: Inquisition shipped.

Harmen

Umm.. Mass Effect had great story and characters. Iconic even, some might say.

In my opinion a big part of that was it being an exciting introduction to the world of ME, a vast new Bioware universe to explore for the first time. It was the first game introduce us to the wonderful setting and all the alien species, planets, politics, cultures etc. etc. were completely fresh.

The Dark Shape

Neo Member
It's better than Dragon Age II. That game - and I like that game - was obviously compromised by the short development time.

Andromeda is buggy, but it's a complete experience, and there don't seem to be any compromises.

Top Bottom