• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robert Bowling (of @fourzerotwo) resigns from Activision

eek5

Dunno how he managed to put up with the Call of Duty audience for all these years. That shit is enough to drive a man insane. From taking a quick look at his trending topic on Twitter, here are a few tweets:

I know right?

CYsSW.png

PbuTL.png

Dunno how he managed to put up with the Call of Duty audience for all these years. That shit is enough to drive a man insane. From taking a quick look at his trending topic on Twitter, here are a few tweets:

He´s a grown up man, he just probably dont´t care about stuff like that.

inky

Damn...

He´s a grown up man, he just probably dont´t care about stuff like that.

I don't know man, I'm guessing after a while you either learn to ignore it or it takes a toll on you.

Shady859

Surprised by the news, it won't hurt sales at all but good luck to him. He had probably one of the most annoying jobs ever dealing with the worst of the worst of the CoD community.

I know, regardless of what you think of the guy, he put up with some bat shit insane stuff trying to handle the PR of CoD.

Still I definitely don't think he's going to Respawn and I'd be surprised if he stayed in the video games industry at all.

d0c_zaius

Amazing how you guys can infer so much tone from a tweet.

More surprising is that you seem to think theres nothing to infer based on the word choices and structure.

gameover activision

next call of duty is bomba guaranteed. i dont know how much you know about social media hypemen, buy this is HUGE. the call of duty audience will be in an uproar over this.

guaranteed huh? Dont people say this about every new COD? and yet it continually breaks records.

Victrix

*beard*
Robert Bowling... let's see here

Activate endless angry gamer memory

#processing#

#processing#

#quote located#

Interview said:
Gearheads: Lots of people have complained that the M-16 is overpowered. Do you guys have a counter that will beat the M-16 most of the time?

Robert Bowling / Infinity Ward: The M16 is a popular weapon online, but I think there's lots of counter weapon load outs that can easily compete with it. I personally use a G36c w/ Suppressor in Hardcore modes, or w/ Red Dot in non-hardcore and I can go head to head with any M16 clad player. So, I don't feel it's some kind of uber-weapon. In the end it comes down to speed and skill to determine who will come out on top.

I don't remember him doing anything after that point in CoD4 that improved my opinion of him, and I was never really clear what he did anyway, other than tweet about CoD and show up at media events.

Igoring that, I wonder how tired the IW team is of doing MW at this point. I can't imagine anyone still at the company from the beginning is dying to work on MW4.

Speevy

Banned
Bad news strikes again. Before anyone pins the blame on this guy, think of how he must be feeling right now. I don't think Infinity Ward can spare this guy.

I know, regardless of what you think of the guy, he put up with some bat shit insane stuff trying to handle the PR of CoD.

Still I definitely don't think he's going to Respawn and I'd be surprised if he stayed in the video games industry at all.

Yeah, I mean, whatever your opinion is of how the guy handled PR for CoD and there's some valid criticism of some of the things he's said in the past, he's still a human being. I can't imagine dealing with the CoD community after reading those tweets.

Robert Bowling... let's see here

Activate endless angry gamer memory

#processing#

#processing#

#quote located#

I don't remember him doing anything after that point in CoD4 that improved my opinion of him, and I was never really clear what he did anyway, other than tweet about CoD and show up at media events.

Igoring that, I wonder how tired the IW team is of doing MW at this point. I can't imagine anyone still at the company from the beginning is dying to work on MW4.

There's almost nobody at IW anymore that worked on the first two. Just saying.

bluemax

Banned

The sad thing is Robert Bowling never wrote a line of code or made a single decision that affected the actual Call of Duty games.

F#A#Oo

Banned
He sucked as CM for CoD...once CoD 4 dropped he started lying his ass off at every opportunity...and he did less community related work.

The BF3 CM has responded to twice on Twitter to me...Bowling never once tweeted a response to a single issue other than press release style tweets...and I tweeted 3-4 times more than I did for BF3...

ZZMitch

I wish the best of luck to him. He seemed like a nice enough guy and I have respect for anyone who could put up with the shit he got from random people for so long :jnc

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The sad thing is Robert Bowling never wrote a line of code or made a single decision that affected the actual Call of Duty games.

I mean, you may well be correct, I have no idea, but how do you know? Obviously he didn't write code, but the vast majority of people who work on (big) games don't write code.

soultron

Banned
I mean, you may well be correct, I have no idea, but how do you know? Obviously he didn't write code, but the vast majority of people who work on (big) games don't write code.

He might've been practising a discipline or shadowing someone in his time as the CM. You never really know.

Someone I know of was an intern/CM and is now a level designer because she used every spare moment to learn from other staffers.

Haunted

The CoD audience, ladies and gentlemen.

Top Bottom