• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six Flags Over Texas takes down their six flags over Texas

Gero

Or better yet, remove the theme park. I don't know how Six Flags started out here in Texas and has the worst theme parks of them all.

zabuni

Yeah, we Texans definitely get off to our own history. We take Texas History courses in school, which I doubt all other states do, but I could be wrong. Texas actually has a pretty rich history, but many Texans definitely fetishize it way too much.

Especially because we usually skip over that time we steamed down to Mexico city and kicked the crap out of everyone because we wanted more land. Or the Indian wars. No real mention of Quanah Parker, etc.

dark_chris

Gold Member
Is Six Flags even doing okay? I remember seeing ads for them all the time as a kid in the 90's but I never hear people talking about them now.

I've never gone myself. Too much of a wuss to go on those rides.

I have a season pass for six flags with my gf.
Its always too goddamn crowded and everything is overpriced food... and people buy it.

I would say they are. lol

Didn't know Gurnee-GAF was so widespread. We should start our own OT. We can discuss important topics like "Are there enough Mattress Firm stores on Grand Ave?"

I always go to the Gurnee location with my gf and love to go to Hurricane Harbor.
Im a sucker that i dont go to the coasters except Whizzer.

Zocano

Jeez I had no idea people in the US didn't know about the six flags thing but I guess me growing up in Texas makes that super skewed. I just assumed it was common knowledge what the six flags represented.

Line_HTX

This is one of those instances where in the long run, Six Flags can probably get away with flying a confederate flag since it's

A) Not using the flag that every racist windbag uses for obvious reasons

and

B) Acknowledges every single other time Texas has changed hands with an official governing body.

Pretty much this. The theme parks are not glorifying the awful confederate flag, just showing that they officially governed for a period of time just like Spain, France, and Mexico did before annexation.

I remember saying the Texas pledge when I was a kid too. I never actually said the God part of the pledge. If that was indeed added in 2007, that would've taken effect after I graduated high school.

I'm still bummed out that I never went on the Physics class field trip to Astroworld. Astroworld closed down the year before I was able to take the class. Serial Thriller was my favorite ride. I preferred Waterworld next door though.

May have already been said but... could they replace the flag with one designed by the native peoples of Texas? The original park was built in Arlington, which used to be Wichita territory.

Kite

I believe they filed for bankruptcy some time ago, maybe 6-7 years ago?

Six Flags Is Riding High

Most roller coasters begin with a steep ascent, followed by a sharp drop. For shareholders of theme-park operator Six Flags Entertainment, it's been mostly an upward climb: The stock has rocketed roughly sixfold (minus some short-term blips) since the company re-listed on the NYSE after emerging from backruptcy protection in 2010.

I lump theme parks in the same territory as museums; sometimes they're used as a way to teach visitors about the past and thus am personally okay with them flying it in that setting (it wasn't even the more notorious battle flag). As the original Six Flags, it was partially built as an education to the history of Texas: a historical Disneyland if you will.

Then again, part of Disney failing to build a theme park in Virginia can be linked to backlash of something a bit similar. In 1994, Eisner and co. were to build Disney's America about 20 minutes away from D.C. as an "edutaining" was to teach guests the history of America. However, it got struck with some pretty significant backlash when it was found out that one of the main areas of the park (and the entry plaza) was to be a Civil War themed land. Ironically, that's not what ended up shutting down the project: The backlash really came when it came to the site's proximity to a historic battleground. Disney finally backed off, but the hilarious part is that condos ended up being built in that very spot.

This is one of those instances where in the long run, Six Flags can probably get away with flying a confederate flag since it's

and

B) Acknowledges every single other time Texas has changed hands with an official governing body.

Yeah I sorta agree with this. The flag isn't a monument to glorify the CSA and isn't the battle flag several states officially fly as a statement of defiance. It's just one of the many flags Texas has been governed under, and it's odd to pick out that one of the bunch in particular given every one of the flags is associated with some degree of mess (including the U.S. one!).

It reminds me of the weird reactions to the KKK sheet music book. Acknowledging and contextualizing history isn't the same as glorifying it.

Zoe

May have already been said but... could they replace the flag with one designed by the native peoples of Texas? The original park was built in Arlington, which used to be Wichita territory.

If you're gonna change the meaning of one flag, might as well take them all down.

DC1

The Six Flag in Prince Georges Maryland (predominantly African American) has 5 American flags and one flag of Mexico. Snyder knows what's up sometimes.

images

jayu26

The name "Six Flags" refers to the flags of the six different nations that have governed Texas: Spain, France, Mexico, the Republic of Texas, the United States, and the Confederate States of America.

I had no idea.

when I was young and found out that there were six flags in other states I thought "How the fuck can they exist, its called six flags because we had 6 nations who governed us, everyone knows this"

I didn't realize that's why the name was Six Flags. That's actually kind of cool. They should put the other four back up, and maybe another one to signify something other than the confederacy.
Perhaps a flag to represent the Indigenous people who've lived in that area for thousands of years.

Dishwalla

Banned
This is one of the few applications where flying the Confederate flag actually made sense I think*, though I suppose if they were flying Lee's flag that wouldn't make sense, should've been flying the official CSA flag. The park was simply displaying what countries ruled over Texas during it's history, wasn't necessarily taking pride in it. Still no major loss taking it down though.

*The other major instance in our culture where the application makes sense is the General Lee Dodge Charger from The Dukes of Hazzard. The car is literally named after General Robert E. Lee, why not feature hie battle flag on the top of it? Now, if you want to argue whether or not it was good to name a car after Lee and feature it on television for decades...

rudger

This seems like a rare case where the confederate flag isn't being displayed in any sort of reverence but as historical fact over how many governments have ruled Texas. That being said, just going by this thread, seeing how many people don't know this means this decision makes sense.

bender

What time is it?

and

My thoughts as well. I'm surprised more people didn't know what Six Flags stood for but that's probably my bias of growing up in Texas. Speaking of that, was never exposed to the Texas Pledge of Allegiance and attended public schools through the 80s and into the early 90s.

It's ridiculous how much offence people take to things like this, or that there was even controversy behind it. It's part of the founding history of the park, the name even. Shit, I just went to One Flag Magic Mountain yesterday, too. This isn't right.

DC1

It's ridiculous how much offence people take to things like this, or that there was even controversy behind it. It's part of the founding history of the park, the name even. Shit, I just went to One Flag Magic Mountain yesterday, too. This isn't right.
Really.
You want to go down this road of education?

slit

These are flags at theme parks. I think you are taking this a little too hard.

Dishwalla

Banned

They are just flags at the end of the day, hell look no further than this thread for people who didn't even know the significance of the "Six Flags" name, much less people in the general public. It's not a big loss.

rudger

Lol. This was my thought. We aren't even sure how offended people were or if they were just raising concern over others being offended or even worse others rallying behind....a theme park

This seems like a rare case where the confederate flag isn't being displayed in any sort of reverence but as historical fact over how many governments have ruled Texas. That being said, just going by this thread, seeing how many people don't know this means this decision makes sense.

The Park was originally structured to have 6 lands, one for each flag. When I was a kid, Confederacy land was pretty intense.

six-flags-over-texas.jpg

SixFlagsConfederate.jpg

They toned it down over the years. First they renamed it "Old South" then they just sort of merged it with France. The whole park hasn't been themed around the 6 Nations for a long time. It was time for it to go.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The Park was originally structured to have 6 lands, one for each flag. When I was a kid, Confederacy land was pretty intense.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0c/97/61/ac/six-flags-over-texas.jpg[/MG]

[IMG]https://dallasnews.imgix.net/SixFlagsConfederate.jpg[/IG]

They toned it down over the years. First they renamed it "Old South" then they just sort of merged it with France. The whole park hasn't been themed around the 6 Nations for a long time. It was time for it to go.[/QUOTE]

I was trying to find info on this as I knew it was this way before.
Just a bit before my time, haha.

Yeah, that shit would not fly.

"White only" lunch counters where part of the founding history of Woolworth's, but we somehow got over that.

You are talking about preserving history here, but you seem entirely ignorant of the history of the park.

rudger

six-flags-over-texas.jpg

SixFlagsConfederate.jpg

They toned it down over the years. First they renamed it "Old South" then they just sort of merged it with France. The whole park hasn't been themed around the 6 Nations for a long time. It was time for it to go.

Oh wow! I mean, seems like they learned a while back that needed to change. But wow. Also, lol at merging with France.

Really.
You want to go down this road of education?

They are just flags at the end of the day, hell look no further than this thread for people who didn't even know the significance of the "Six Flags" name, much less people in the general public. It's not a big loss.
I'm sure the founders of the parks (whom all had the same rights we share as Americans) would be happy to know that their freedoms and their history were denounced in the year 2017.

Dishwalla

Banned
I'm sure the founders of the parks (whom all had the same rights we share as Americans) would be happy to know that their freedoms and their history were denounced in the year 2017.

"their freedoms" lol. The flag being removed was a decision by the company, Six Flags wasn't forced to remove it by a government office. Six Flags had a choice to remove it, even if it was at the behest of protests.

DC1

Oh boy... You do want to go through this education.

Their freedom and preferred history was denounced on May 9th 1865. It's very fortunate that the war ended with some degree of acrimonious concent for a number of reasons; Lee was a major player to making this a reality for the South and North agreeable.

Take this quick read from a neutral fact based publication:
https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/536727/

slit

Quite frankly, who cares? They're dead and anyway the history of the Confederacy should be denounced. Second of all what does their freedoms have to do with this?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Quite frankly, who cares? They're dead and anyway the history of the Confederacy should be denounced. Second of all what does their freedoms have to do with this?

acknowledging that it exists isn't promoting it or glorifying it.

as has been stated it was 6 flags because of the 6 governments texas has belonged to.

do you think the mexican flag or french flag are glorifying those countries, while inside the USA?

I just heard one of my coworkers losing his damn mind over this at our office in Houston.

Probably still going to hear it all day. He's not the only conservative in the office, but he's definitely a fanatic.

He's still going.

Now they're making some kind of comparison to Animal Farm. 'Bunch of communists,' or something.

His ass shouldn't be going on about it in the workplace.

Top Bottom