• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Six Flags Over Texas takes down their six flags over Texas

In Houston myself. What exactly is he mad about? What purpose does a confederate flag serve at a theme park?

In Houston as well. Did not even NOTICE six flags flew the confederate flag, but I haven't been to a Texas theme park since Astroworld was open.

sangreal

Oh, that Confederate flag. That explains why this didn't come up sooner

ziGaFrk.png

So clearly, the reasonable course of action is to get Texas to hand itself over to Canada so that they can switch the sixth flag with the Canadian flag.

...Seriously, though, why are they removing the Mexican flag and such? I'm guessing it's the only way that they could avoid alienating potential far right customers while taking down the Confederate flag.

That's quite the leap.

Kthulhu

Switch the confederate flag for a rainbow one. Don't have to change the name and watching people lose their minds will be hilarious.

Failing that, swap it for a white one and they can still commemorate their Texan history.

Funny enough, Sam Houston didn't actually want to secede from the union.

zeemumu

Neither does the New Jersey location:

Edit - Maybe it does? Not the battle one, but the actual one like Pastry pointed out. Anyway, looks like they changed it awhile back to just American flags.

Why does the New Jersey location have California's flag?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
In an attempt to avoid looking bad for flying the Confederate flag, they remove the Spanish flag less than 24 hours after the country suffered a terror attack?
Their PR team are A grade.

Yeah, seriously...

How out of touch can these people be?

Kthulhu

He generally is as long as politics doesn't come up. But the slightest thing provokes him. We were talking about Dr. Oz being a bit of a quack and then he just comes out of nowhere and says he doesn't trust him because he's Muslim.

And then they wonder why I wear headphones in my cubicle all the time.

Didn't know Dr. Oz was Muslim.

Most of my office (also Houston) is Republican. Fortunately most people don't talk about politics most of the time. Also fortunately they seem to mostly be Republicans for economic reasons, not social ones.

Pizza

Does every Six Flags fly the Confederate flag? I've never been to one but fuck 'em if that's the case, but also good job for doing this now I guess?

Nah, not that I've seen. Their logo is six different colored triangle flags, or six identically colored flags. The name came from the fact that six flags have historically flown over Texas

Unless there's confederate flags in parks I'm unfamiliar with, I've never seen any actual flag-flag outside the US one. I've seen physical flags over their logo, but they were just solid colored triangles

I'm really glad they're doing this though, I didn't like that the confederacy was a lowkey part of the park

kirblar

Oh, that Confederate flag. That explains why this didn't come up sooner
Yeah, that explains a lot. Also makes possibly the first example so far in any of these cases where "but history/tradition" wasn't just a rhetorical deflection. (but still for the best that it's down, especially since the other parks weren't running the original 6 anyway)

5taquitos

Most of my office (also Houston) is Republican. Fortunately most people don't talk about politics most of the time. Also fortunately they seem to mostly be Republicans for economic reasons, not social ones.
Is that really any better? Most Republican economic strategies have major social ramifications.

Jeels

He was at least aware enough to admit they'd never get his business anyway right after saying that the only course of action is to never visit again.

The Six Flags here in Houston has been gone for over ten years now, the closest one is in San Antonio.

It symbolizes the moral decline of this country or some shit.

I can't wait for all the hot takes about the BLM demonstration after this weekend.

But what moral decline? What does the confederate flag have to do with morality? I'd keep asking him these questions calmly...

Kthulhu

Is that really any better? Most Republican economic strategies have major social ramifications.

When you go to Thanksgiving and your uncle celebrates the idea of water hoses being turned on BLM protestors, you'll understand that you'll take what you can get when surrounded by Republicans.

I'm confident that if 90% of these people were born outside the right wing media bubble they'd be Democrats.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I actually disagree with this removal since this is pretty clearly a case of signaling the story of Texas and not just racists being coy about their intentions. There's also no reason why they should remove the other four flags.

Leunam

But what moral decline? What does the confederate flag have to do with morality? I'd keep asking him these questions calmly...

I was being mostly tongue in cheek. Their complaints are mostly rooted in a dislike for PC culture and giving in to the easily offended. I don't agree with their assertions, because if you ask me it's these fellas that are easily offended.

Is Six Flags even doing okay? I remember seeing ads for them all the time as a kid in the 90's but I never hear people talking about them now.

I've never gone myself. Too much of a wuss to go on those rides.

MechDX

Yeah it's more than just a theme park thing. Texas has had quite the history.

IM not a native Texan but have been here since I was 6. When I tell friends and family from other parts of the country that students in Texas are required to take a semester in junior high of Texas state history they are shocked. Dont know if it is still required now but it was when I went to school

Maybe a flag honoring the native americans who lived there for centuries before Europeans raped, pillaged and forced them out. Unsure what flag you could use though.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I actually disagree with this removal since this is pretty clearly a case of signaling the story of Texas and not just racists being coy about their intentions. There's also no reason why they should remove the other four flags.

Yeah, in this case it's actually history.
There's no glorification in in showing the 6 flags did fly over our state and it's appropriate that the US flag flies higher than the rest.

All other monuments though. gtfo

That being said, no one is going to miss them and it's near the bottom of things I care about.

Iorv3th

Me and my wife were talking about this the other day and we didn't think they flew the confederate flag even though it was one of the 6. In any case I don't see how it's offensive in this case.

IM not a native Texan but have been here since I was 6. When I tell friends and family from other parts of the country that students in Texas are required to take a semester in junior high of Texas state history they are shocked. Dont know if it is still required now but it was when I went to school

I think it is. Usually 6th or 7th grade.

Yeah, we Texans definitely get off to our own history. We take Texas History courses in school, which I doubt all other states do, but I could be wrong. Texas actually has a pretty rich history, but many Texans definitely fetishize it way too much.

When I think of Texas history I think of hank hills dad stealing santa annas leg.

Hazmat

Yeah it's more than just a theme park thing. Texas has had quite the history.

Yeah, we Texans definitely get off to our own history. We take Texas History courses in school, which I doubt all other states do, but I could be wrong. Texas actually has a pretty rich history, but many Texans definitely fetishize it way too much.

akileese

Me and my wife were talking about this the other day and we didn't think they flew the confederate flag even though it was one of the 6. In any case I don't see how it's offensive in this case.

I think it is. Usually 6th or 7th grade.

Yep. My kid is taking that this year and she's in 7th grade. There's nothing wrong with teaching state history honestly and Texas has been a pretty crazy ride, no pun intended.

Mechazawa

This is one of those instances where in the long run, Six Flags can probably get away with flying a confederate flag since it's

A) Not using the flag that every racist windbag uses for obvious reasons

and

B) Acknowledges every single other time Texas has changed hands with an official governing body.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt

Texas definitely isn't the only state that does that. I want to say in 7th grade my social studies class was Missouri history.

Leunam

Did you tell them about the Texas Pledge of Allegiance?

Pizoxuat

If we're removing flags that reference secession in order to remain a slave-holding state (and we should) we need to take down the Republic of Texas flag too. Texas left Mexico in large part because Mexico outlawed slavery in 1829.

kirblar

Texas definitely isn't the only state that does that. I want to say in 7th grade my social studies class was Missouri history.
Yeah, VA has a state history year in elementary school.

A lot of time gets spent on Lee, for obvious reasons. (w/ the general message- "tried to do the right thing, did the wrong thing, learn from his mistakes.")

Iorv3th

they should just replace it with this confederate flag

Well then they could put the mexican flag the same way as well since they lost the state in war too.

Texas has a pledge of allegiance? I seriously didnt know that

Yeah we said it in the morning until like 8th grade or something at my school.

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

They added "under god" in 2007 though.

Mindlog

Take down the confederate secessionist loser traitor terrorist flag.
Raise the park flag. Fun is now the sixth flag.

I expect my check by the close of business next Friday.

kirblar

Six Flags DC was originally "Wild World" then "Adventure World" then got bought by 6 Flags. It's always been bad compared to Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens, which were always part of major chains from day 1.

MechDX

Well then they could put the mexican flag the same way as well since they lost the state in war too.

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

It's trash tier here in Texas too.

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

I said it every morning as a kid.

We just did the U.S. pledge here.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

I took only two years of schooling in Texas and I'd never heard that.
Difference being that Mexico actually abolished slavery early in its history so the comparison to the Confederate flag is, honestly, disgusting.

And you could do the same to the Spaniard flag considering they lost against Mexico too.

Regiruler

Yeah, within context it makes sense. Except the whole conceit of a theme park being themed after Texas governance is weird in the first place

Also while not conducive to the theme of flags, seems weird to omit native Americans.

Replacing it with a flag to represent the native populations beforehand may not be a bad idea.

Top Bottom