• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Rock Band coming to Wii + details (from focus group)

StevieP

Banned
Perhaps, as was speculated with Guitar Hero, the Wii version will be cheaper due to the ability to snap the Wiimote into a plastic shell and use its wireless tech/accelerometers? I can't see this thing taking off at ALL any more than $90-100 bucks. Even if it may have the same extremely-niche hardcore following that Steel Batallian did.

AniHawk

I don't think Rock Band will have the success of Guitar Hero. It's one thing to have everyone play an instrument, but then you have to make sure everyone has the same system you do.

ram said:
i`ll bet its coming to ps2 too.

I sincerely doubt this, unless the peripherals can be crafted to be platform independent. Harmonix would not want to groom a whole fanbase on PS2 then expect them to shell out again when the users upgrade to RB2 on next-gen systems.

AniHawk said:
I don't think Rock Band will have the success of Guitar Hero. It's one thing to have everyone play an instrument, but then you have to make sure everyone has the same system you do.

Guitar Hero 3 will probably outsell Rock Band.

justchris

Well, I of course, will be getting the big bundle because I'm a consumerist whore and I like it, but if they really want this to sell, they'd do well to advertise the individual instrument bundles as the primary offering.

Anihawk said:

Ummm...you can all play on the same console. Just get 3 of your friends to go in with you on the game, that's $50 each. I mean, half my friends didn't own a GCN last generation, but we still played more cumulative hours of Smash Bros. than any game any of them owned for the PS2.

big_z

The price and kick pedal info is new, the game coming to wii is not. Ign had a follow up story the day after Rock Band was annouced confirming it coming to wii. Hopefully they can make the wii package much cheaper by clipping the wiimote into the instruments cutting the cost of wireless/motion control.

AniHawk said:

I see no reason why they can't do cross platform online. Just look at FFXI.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It seems like people are forgetting that you're getting 3 peripherals in the bundle. A typical music-peripheral game normally contains 1 controller. This game contains 3 distinct controllers. Theoretically you're buying 3 music games in 1 package.

Oh well, I'm totally biased towards Harmonix anyway and will purchase this regardless how much it costs

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
its a steep investment. i'll definitely have to wait and see if it is amazing to take the dive in it.

plus where am i going to find space for 3 controllers + guitar hero controllers?

dammit.

Link Man

Banned
I find it kind of funny that people complain about the price of this game, with its slew of proprietary peripherals, and yet are willing to spend an equal amount or more on a PC game set in the land of Azeroth.

Sharp

All I need is Guitar Hero, since my brother foolishly sold off my PS2 and I don't feel like buying it back to play the game when I know it's coming to Wii. I would only buy Rock Band if I could reuse my Guitar Hero controller for it.

This is just a rumor anyway, right? I haven't checked the source, but the first post at least initially read that it was labeled as such by Gamespot.

LinkAMN said:
I find it kind of funny that people complain about the price of this game, with its slew of proprietary peripherals, and yet are willing to spend an equal amount or more on a PC game set in the land of Azeroth.

gaf_av.png

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Sharp said:
This is just a rumor anyway, right? I haven't checked the source, but the first post at least initially read that it was labeled as such by Gamespot.

It's from a focus group though, from a person that has a pretty good reputation.

I wonder if this focus group was conducted here in Sunnyvale. My bro went to a focus group place yesterday and told me about a bunch of "video game nerds" there...

Sharp

LinkAMN said:
I'm sorry, but I still don't understand the deal with posting the user's avatar as a response. Anybody care to enlighten me?
(neutral) Sharp
(Today, 10:31 PM)
Reply | Quote
Sharp.png

koam

I'll buy it. I already have three friends who want me to get it so that they can come over and jam. We even have our band name ready :)

PLEASE INCLUDE GOOD SONGS NOT B-SIDES.

I'd love for them to include the full version of "Jesus of Suburbia"

B E N K E said:
I was under the impression that there would be multiple bundles (some with only guitar, some with only drum, some with only mic)... It doesn't makes sense only to sell the "mega-bundle", it will only limit the audience.

Who said the complete bundle will be the ONLY bundle??? There may (will!) be other bundles as well, and they will probably sell the game and accessories separately.

150-200$ is just about the price you'd expect to play for a game and guitar, drum, mic accessories. That's more than I can afford though :|

I bet MTV will ask Nintendo for a Rock Band Channel on the Wii just for those "microtransactions"

Nintendo may just do that just to have another channel on the Wii sponsored by MTV

LinkAMN said:
I'm sorry, but I still don't understand the deal with posting the user's avatar as a response. Anybody care to enlighten me?
Nope :)

but yeah price is ****ed up...i understand it...but im cheap when it comes to peripherals.

Gigglepoo

Red Eyed Soul said:
Nope :)

but yeah price is ****ed up...i understand it...but im cheap when it comes to peripherals.

Rock Band will not only be sold in one massive pack. There will be one with an identical or cheaper price than Guitar Hero 3 as well. And don't forget you can use GH controllers with the game. There is no way EA is going to price people out of this. It's a new property and has to compete with a huge hit. We should be grateful if they actually release a game + 3 peripherals (and did you read what the drum entails!?) for a mere $150. The entire pack is clearly worth $200 for anyone who is a fan for the genre. To get it cheaper than that is gravy.

Original Artists is huge news for me. I cannot stand crappy covers anymore.

Why are people complaining about the price? It's cheaper than the estimated 360 version.

360 Rock Band
-----------------
Game - 59.99 USD
Drum Set - 79.99 USD
(Guitar Controller - 59.99 USD)
Microphone - 39.99 USD
Wireless Guitar Controller - 79.99 USD

Sum (without the wired guitar) ~ 260

If the Wii version is 180 or so, it'll be a damn good deal. And that's only if you insist on having access to all the peripherals.

Most likely, more people will buy individual instrument/game sets for 70 bucks or so.

Linkup

You're not expected to buy everything with the game. Suppose to join up with others online who can play the other parts, so that lessen the load some. Also EA is delusional or they have a plan.

Chumly

Battersea Power Station said:
Why are people complaining about the price? It's cheaper than the estimated 360 version.

360 Rock Band
-----------------
Game - 59.99 USD
Drum Set - 79.99 USD
(Guitar Controller - 59.99 USD)
Microphone - 39.99 USD
Wireless Guitar Controller - 79.99 USD

Sum (without the wired guitar) ~ 260

If the Wii version is 180 or so, it'll be a damn good deal. And that's only if you insist on having access to all the peripherals.

Most likely, more people will buy individual instrument/game sets for 70 bucks or so.
That price range is not for the "Wii" version but for all versions.

AniHawk said:

I agree. I appreciate the idea, but this is WAYYY too ambitious.

Innotech

Banned
Guitar Hero and music gamesl ike this are entirely different from playing a real instrument. so different some of the original band members that the game gets music from cant even play GH that well. Ive seen some hilarious vids of guitarists flunking their own songs in GH2.

Wario64 said:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25625124&part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6170619

-Coming to Wii
-Drum peripheral comes with kick pedal and real sticks ("real impressive piece of hardware")
-All about original artists
-Bundle with game, wireless guitar, drum kit, micrphone with possible price range of $150-$200
Nintendo should just release a microphone and headset, this is getting ridiculous. You might end up with 3 or 4 different bundled microphones on Wii.

Gigglepoo

Phife Dawg said:
Nintendo should just release a microphone and headset, this is getting ridiculous. You might end up with 3 or 4 different bundled microphones on Wii.

We already know that Rock Band supports the Guitar Hero controller. It seems reasonable that different microphones will be supported as well.

So...do I actually have to get a band together in order to actually play? With all those peripherals, I would think it to be a waste if one of them goes unused.

Gigglepoo said:
We already know that Rock Band supports the Guitar Hero controller. It seems reasonable that different microphones will be supported as well.
Well I certainly hope so, still an official one would adress that "problem". But seeing how long it took them to release the one for the DS...

Gigglepoo

Jamesfrom818 said:
So...do I actually have to get a band together in order to actually play? With all those peripherals, I would think it to be a waste if one of them goes unused.

Once again, you can choose which peripherals you actually want to use. If you're primarily going to play this alone or online, and only care about one instrument, you should probably only buy the game + that instrument.

luffeN

am i the only one who understands it the other way round, kind of?

here is the quote from gamespot:"First and foremost, the focus group participant said that testers specifically said the game, already announced on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, would be coming to the Wii as well. On top of that, they were told that the game's set list will feature nothing but original artists, and that the drum peripheral (which Harmonix CEO Alex Rigopulos promised would be "a really impressive piece of hardware") will feature a drum with a kick pedal and real sticks."

it says that the game's set list will blabla. so to me its that on every console this package will cost that much, not just for wii. anyone with me?

edit: ahh, i misread some posts :D so no one really thought that its the price range only for wii ^^

Gigglepoo

banKai said:
it says that the game's set list will blabla. so to me its that on every console this package will cost that much, not just for wii. anyone with me?

I'm sure the pricing will be the same across the board. I wouldn't be surprised if the instruments are compatible for all three systems as well.

Jackano

Wario64 said:
I dont know about you guys but the bundle priced at $150 seems like a good deal.

Guitar Hero 2 for X360 is $90 and that includes a WIRED guitar controller and the game.

For double the price, you get Rock Band, a WIRELESS guitar, a drum kit and microphone.

Plug the wii remote into the guitar thing and bluetooth costs you 0$!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
no keyboard? Surely keyboards is perfect for guitar hero/beatmania type rythm fun.

I want keyboard hero now!

ZeoVGM

Banned
TJ Spyke said:
$150-$200? Goodbye to any chance of me buying it. I was interested in the idea of the game, and MAYBE would have paid $80-$100 for it, but at least $150? No.

There's no way there are people this dense.

You ACTUALLY thought there was even a CHANCE of it being less than $100?

You're insane.

Top Bottom