• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So.... I inherited an old Japanese Game Center

Bobby_Sullivan

Neo Member
If this is an 80's movie...you need to get into a montage of cleaning up the place to Bon Jovi music.

I don't even know how much those machines are worth...congratulations my good sir...you lucky sob.

Laconic

Banned
My girlfriend's Grandma bought a old building in Chiba, Japan. The first two floors, it turns out, are an old game center reaching back to around the mid 80s.

She said she was just going to toss it all out, but I convinced her that there was value in it. So, she gave it to me and said "Do whatever you want. If you can sell them, you can keep the money,"

So... yeah, I own a Game center now. Any advice on what to do with it?

Pics are too hi-res to post here without stretching waaay off the forum, so I put them all here:

http://imgur.com/a/yqxip

Coolest potential Grandma In Law ever.

Dizzy-4U

Going to go there soon to take a full inventory.

So far, I know it has:

Street Fighter Alpha (Zero) 2
Oh shit...
CzddIcW.jpg

If you have Breakers Revenge I'm flying there, I'll tell you.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

So far, I know it has:

Raiden V, Metal Slug X, Street Fighter Alpha (Zero) 2, Pocket Fighters, UFO Attack, Sega Tetris

Well the cabs are language locked to JP right? That might change the value a bit not sure if it'll make em go up or down though.

But I know SF Alpha cabs usually run for about 350 in the US.

Takao

Banned
OP, the place is cursed. If you don't complete every game in the building by the end of the month your soul will be bound to it forever. Your best bet is to give to someone else. I think I can handle that burden.

Shengar

That OP man..... I gues reality indeed stranger than fiction.

So far, I know it has:

Raiden V, Metal Slug X, Street Fighter Alpha (Zero) 2, Pocket Fighters, UFO Attack, Sega Tetris

Holy fucking shit, Gaf could shed tears for these machines

Jintor

So far, I know it has:

Damn son.

Install a Nidhogg/Sportsfriends/Samurai Gunn cabinet or something.

malfcn

Pretty cool pick up.
When were those machines last running?
Or have they been sitting in the dark for a decade, fun story.

Whoa. That's cool. Really cool! Can you do what you want with that section of the building itself, or just the machines inside? If you've inherited those floors themselves you're one lucky ass dude. So many possibilities! Regardless I think you're gonna come away from this with more money than you expect at the very least.

Mendoza

Wow dude, that's awesome.
Like others in this thread, I would totally pay for shipping on one of those sit down cabinets.

It's probably too expensive to get them all appraised, but you could consider selling some of them to avid collectors.

My thinking, too.

The price of a full appraisal will probably outweigh the actual value. Hence, why I'm going to Gaf/Reddit.

Dizzy-4U

Tell me that you love Real Bout 2 in addition to Breakers and Alpha 2!

That would basically make us brothers.
Never had the chance of playing the second one, but I played the shit out of Real Bout on the Sega Saturn back in the day.

Dwayne

PM me if you want, I can hook you up with some guys in Europe who will buy the lot. They refurbish and then move the cabs on. Saves you having to pick it apart or worry about condition etc.

If you can get there, pull all the PCBs from the non dedicated machines, should be worth thousands alone.

Pretty cool pick up.
When were those machines last running?
Or have they been sitting in the dark for a decade, fun story.

This Game center was last used I think about 20 years ago or so. Some of the machines are obviously newer than that, so I guess I'm actually not totally sure.

Do you have free reign over the two floors themselves or just the machines?

Just the stuff inside, as far as I know. Unless, of course, I can think of what to do with them. I mean, If I turn it into some kind of profitable business, I'm sure she wouldn't say no.

Top Bottom