• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I don't get the hate for Combofiend's "function" comment because he's mostly right. People didn't play Sentinel because people just couldn't get enough of sentinels in the X-Men comics or the 90's cartoon. They were fans because of how he played.

However, he did gloss over how people can play a character for gameplay reasons but then become attached to the character's design or personality. I didn't give a shit about Karin until SFV when I started playing her because she was kind of like Dudley. Now I really like her design and all the OHOHOHOs.

There's definitely a middle ground to consider. Younger/casual players especially aren't going to care who has the best OTG or a tridash. They're gonna wanna play their favs.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
You win some (X-Men characters coming back to Marvel games), you lose some.

Gazillion is losing their rights to sell F4 characters and costumes with their contract renewal. This doesn't bode well for hopes of their addition as future DLC.

huh.gif

This is some very bad news man.

DrDogg

I'm just baffled why F4. They don't have nearly the pop culture weight as Xmen so why even bother.

This is exactly why. Fox isn't going to give up X-Men for a long time outside of a Spider-Man like deal where they retain the license. F4 is very close to coming back to Marvel, no matter what Fox says about a third movie coming. Buckling down on F4 to make it all that much harder brings F4 that much closer to the MCU.

I don't really agree with the practice, but from a cutthroat business standpoint it makes sense.

The F4 doesn't rake in cash like the X-brand does for Fox. Marvel technically still has some chance of forcing the license out of Fox's hands if the next film (due in like 2021 IIRC) bombs really bad.

They've simply given up on the X-brand, especially with the big successes of Deadpool and Apocalypse (Logan wasn't out when the ban ended, but I assume it only cemented Marvel's decision).

Deadpool saved X-Men. Apocalypse didn't perform very well. It's the 2nd lowest domestic box office and the international would be just as low if not for the China bump (which was lower than Days of Future Past). I also don't expect a repeat of Logan because that was as lucky as Deadpool, only the Logan creative team is all but gone.

The real problem here is Perlmutter. If he ever leaves or Disney takes more control over the non-film aspects of Marvel, things would lighten up considerably.

Neoxon

The fox shit is real bruh. It isn't about what the kids like these days, because if that were so Wolverine and Deadpool would 100 percent be in this. Marvel is tying Capcom's hands here.
Doctor Doom as well. But yeah, you hit the nail on the head.

This is exactly why. Fox isn't going to give up X-Men for a long time outside of a Spider-Man like deal where they retain the license. F4 is very close to coming back to Marvel, no matter what Fox says about a third movie coming. Buckling down on F4 to make it all that much harder brings F4 that much closer to the MCU.

I don't really agree with the practice, but from a cutthroat business standpoint it makes sense.

Deadpool saved X-Men. Apocalypse didn't perform very well. It's the 2nd lowest domestic box office and the international would be just as low if not for the China bump (which was lower than Days of Future Past). I also don't expect a repeat of Logan because that was as lucky as Deadpool, only the Logan creative team is all but gone.

The real problem here is Perlmutter. If he ever leaves or Disney takes more control over the non-film aspects of Marvel, things would lighten up considerably.
Fox still has a future planned out for the X-Men and it's looking like they want to experiment with the brand then pump another Apocalypse. That need to have an X-Men universe is still strong and can last for years unless a mega bomb happens to one of their movies. F4 is a wildcard. That third reboot has to be their final chance but at this point I also see Fox just wanting to hang on to it just for shits and giggles.

Dahbomb

Yes the receipts were saved!

Marvel can't escape this PR shitstain now.

Marvel should retroactively ban Dr Doom and Super Skrull from being played in competitive UMVC3 from July 1st onwards. It will only impact EVO though... LMAO!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
well X-Men arent affected so that means that as a broad strole, the x-men stuff is safer now apparently.

As for F4 in Versus, we never actually HAD any F4 character, we had...related characters. And since Doom is still safe in MH maybe hes save for Infinite down the line aswell.

Yes the receipts were saved!

Marvel can't escape this PR shitstain now.

its super cute that you think that this will even be a blip on Marvel's radar :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
well X-Men arent affected so that means that as a broad strole, the x-men stuff is safer now apparently.

As for F4 in Versus, we never actually HAD any F4 character, we had...related characters. And since Doom is still safe in MH maybe hes save for Infinite down the line aswell.

Only reason why Doctor Doom is safe in Marvel Heroes because apparently he have a huge role in the story mode so it would screw them over if they forced them to remove Doctor Doom. I hope that Doom and Skrull would make in MVCI at the end.

It's rather funny... In the 90's Capcom was my favorite game company. So all this is heartbreaking to me that they've been going on this downward spiral. Right now, as far as favorite game company, Quantic Dream holds that title for me.

Dahbomb

who are these guys anyway? I saw the blonde guy interviewing some pros, but I had never seen him or this other dude before.
BornFree is mostly just an interviewer for FGC stuff, Velociraptor is a professional FG player... most known for his Gouken in SF4.

J-Tier

Now you know how comic fans have felt for a long time with these bans. All of y'all are surprised but we knew this was comin.

When the X-Men ban was super obvious, and they were killing characters off left and right-- was when I stopped giving a shit about following Marvel and hopped onto DC. I returned to Marvel with Secret Wars and by proxy got into Ms. Marvel, but then Civil War 2 happened and I was over it again.

It's sad, I was a longtime Marvel Comics fan. Ever since I was a young'n I was collecting the books.

Only reason why Doctor Doom is safe in Marvel Heroes because apparently he have a huge role in the story mode so it would screw them over if they forced them to remove Doctor Doom. I hope that Doom and Skrull would make in MVCI at the end.

Why would that affect his availability as a playable character? I mean, couldn't they have just cut off his playable status and turned him into an NPC for new players?

Dang, I'm genuinely bummed for you guys in here. I can see the general lack of hype and pervasive disappointment on every page and I totally get where it comes from and I sympathize, but as a long-suffering diehard Mega Man X fan this continues to quite easily be one of my most anticipated titles of the year. I'm in day one with a Collector's Edition and everything for the X statue alone and no joke, my best E3 moment this year was probably my first chance to take my long-held dream team of X and Zero out for a spin (and winning!).

So yeah, my hype is through the fucking roof for this! I don't know if this'll help generate any hype here, but there it is.

Dahbomb

The Marvel pettiness just annoys me.

Btw, the victory theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4OCvK4CbqU

What does everyone think about it?
I have been enjoying the original music for this game thus far. Not the most memorable or unique but it does the job for sure. It is in general heroic enough and gets you some what pumped out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtrrHEsTp8A

^ Main menu music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Zorkl0_Qs

^ Demo battle theme.

That said the new Devils Never Cry remix in MVCI is a fucking travesty. Almost as bad as Dante's meth face.

So you'd say that it's... functional?
AYY LMAO!!!

technopath

Neo Member

The way I see it, Days of Future Past was the outlier of the main series of X-movies. None of their other movies have performed nearly as well. I think it was a combination of Hugh Jackman in the center role, the original cast returning (nostalgia = $$$), great word of mouth from fans and critics, and Jennifer Lawrence in promotions at the peak of J-Law fever before the backlash hit into high gear. Apocalypse performed well compared to the other films outside of Days of Future Past. I think Fox probably expected better but it did fine.

The future of the FoX-franchise is bright: Logan's creative team (Mangold and producers, with the support of Hugh Jackman) have expressed interest and already said there are talks in an X-23 movie with Dafne Keen. A longtime X-Men fan Josh Boone is helming the dark New Mutants spin-off. Deadpool shows no signs of stopping and X-Force should only add to that hype train.

Maybe this is why Marvel might be concentrating their chokehold strategy on the Fantastic 4 instead since that has a more realistic chance of reverting back into Marvel's hands?

Should this news get a separate thread?

Yes. Marvel needs to be exposed and shamed for this.

Dahbomb

As far as I know, Fox just has to create a F4 movie in a certain period of time to hold the rights.

It doesn't even have to be good, they can just crank one out. That's why they are still considering making one. And like why wouldn't they? Superhero movies are still big and if they control the budget and don't make it a colossal shit fest, it can still make bank.

So Marvel trying to shit the F4 name is really pointless. Sooner or later Fox is going to be able to create a watchable F4 movie. It's not like the public at large don't know who they are, they are still classic Marvel characters.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Dang, I'm genuinely bummed for you guys in here. I can see the general lack of hype and pervasive disappointment on every page and I totally get where it comes from and I sympathize, but as a long-suffering diehard Mega Man X fan this continues to quite easily be one of my most anticipated titles of the year. I'm in day one with a Collector's Edition and everything for the X statue alone and no joke, my best E3 moment this year was probably my first chance to take my long-held dream team of X and Zero out for a spin (and winning!).

So yeah, my hype is through the fucking roof for this! I don't know if this'll help generate any hype here, but there it is.

I'm glad that you're still hyped for the game, and I'm still excited about the game, regardless of backlashes it's getting from the fans. I'm used to people hating on the game(s) based on hyperboles, art styles, etc.

Should this news get a separate thread?

Of course it should. Blow this shit up.

Someone should make the thread soon.

DrDogg

The way I see it, Days of Future Past was the outlier of the main series of X-movies. None of their other movies have performed nearly as well. I think it was a combination of Hugh Jackman in the center role, the original cast returning (nostalgia = $$$), great word of mouth from fans and critics, and Jennifer Lawrence in promotions at the peak of J-Law fever before the backlash hit into high gear. Apocalypse performed well compared to the other films outside of Days of Future Past. I think Fox probably expected better but it did fine.

The future of the FoX-franchise is bright: Logan's creative team (Mangold and producers, with the support of Hugh Jackman) have expressed interest and already said there are talks in an X-23 movie with Dafne Keen. A longtime X-Men fan Josh Boone is helming the dark New Mutants spin-off. Deadpool shows no signs of stopping and X-Force should only add to that hype train.

Maybe this is why Marvel might be concentrating their chokehold strategy on the Fantastic 4 instead since that has a more realistic chance of reverting back into Marvel's hands?

Yes. Marvel needs to be exposed and shamed for this.

If you remove the China bump, DoFP and Apocalypse didn't perform nearly as well. DoFP was about par for the course without the China bump, which is fine, but Apocalypse domestic gross is the second lowest of the franchise and even the China boost was a good $100M lower than DoFP.

That's not to say X-Men is going anywhere. Deadpool alone means X-Men has a long future ahead of it. But the actual X-Men films were on a decline before Deadpool and Logan hit. Even if Mangold comes back for an X-23 film, what made Logan so good was that Jackman wouldn't sign off until the script was exactly how he wanted it. Basically the same creative team was there for The Wolverine and it wasn't anywhere near as good.

Fox still has a future planned out for the X-Men and it's looking like they want to experiment with the brand then pump another Apocalypse. That need to have an X-Men universe is still strong and can last for years unless a mega bomb happens to one of their movies. F4 is a wildcard. That third reboot has to be their final chance but at this point I also see Fox just wanting to hang on to it just for shits and giggles.

Simon Kinberg is still in charge of the X-Men universe. He's even directing the next mainline X-Men movie. As long as he's involved we won't get another Logan, it'll just be lackluster Apocalypse over and over again. The movies will still come, but even if they stopped making money to the point where Fox pulled the plug, Deadpool counts toward the license and we'll be seeing those films for some time.

I could see Fox trying to keep F4 alive, but if the next film bombs as much as the last two it's just losing money for Fox. I can't see them keeping the license and losing money solely to spite Marvel.

Neonep

As far as I know, Fox just has to create a F4 movie in a certain period of time to hold the rights.

It doesn't even have to be good, they can just crank one out. That's why they are still considering making one. And like why wouldn't they? Superhero movies are still big and if they control the budget and don't make it a colossal shit fest, it can still make bank.

So Marvel trying to shit the F4 name is really pointless. Sooner or later Fox is going to be able to create a watchable F4 movie. It's not like the public at large don't know who they are, they are still classic Marvel characters.

Didn't they just make one like 2 years or so ago and it bombed super hard. Fox ain't gonna invest millions with the main purpose to keep the right to certain characters.

Dahbomb

Didn't they just make one like 2 years or so ago and it bombed super hard. Fox ain't gonna invest millions with the main purpose to keep the right to certain characters.

Already was talking about another kid friendly reboot
Already beaten lol!

The trick is to not invest hundreds of millions into a F4 movie. Try to keep it low budget but solid quality and then build from there. That's kinda hard to do with a F4 movie but that's what you have to do as Fox.

Sucks about the FF :( I still wish Johnny had been added to MvC at some point to have him and Spidey in a bro team but I guess that dream is dead now.

And yeah someone needs to make a thread and post the archived forum post!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I listened to this. They aren't operating with all of the info. Also they seem to not understand Capcom as a whole and only deal with Capcom fighting games.

Ah yes, do tell us how we should hate Capcom more neonep, please.

Well you might get doom

They have been handling it the comic books by making him a much more handsome character who is also sometimes IRON MAN

You might get doom, he might be a super handsome magician, or go under the moniker , IRON MAN

Iron Doom would actually be pretty dam cool.

Sad to see the news about the FF characters, Marvel is pretty harsh with these things... sigh.

At least it seems that the X-Men are being treated with more care now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom