• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Tech: Dark Souls 3 Patch 1.11 PS4 Pro Frame Rate Test (Unlocked Frame-rate)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Average frame rate being 50fps is terrible.

That is not smooth, on any display. It doesn't matter if it's a higher number than 30 if it's not solid.

That's what I'd call a sweeping statement.

You're basically throwing every 60 FPS console game under the bus there. Rarely do console 60 FPS games not have any drops. I personally believe an average frame rate of 50 FPS w/ drops and less frame pacing is a big improvement over 30 FPS w/ drops and frame pacing.

No, they couldn't. There is a PC port of DS3 - we know the requirements of the engine to get a smooth 60fps.

If they had a magic optimise button they would use it and improve the frame rate on all platforms, which they haven't done.

Which is why i said optimization. We've had games like AC Unity and more recently the new Homefront which culled some less noticeable effects for performance gains on the CPU front in their patches.

Though it's probably too much to ask for more options from Japanese developers, Square aren't bothering fixing frame pacing in the HQ mode and didn't provide option to cap the Lite mode, I wouldn't expect it from From either.

Planet

You're basically throwing every 60 FPS console game under the bus there. Rarely do console 60 FPS games not have any drops.
There are plenty of games that hold 60 over long stretches and drop frames in heavy load situations or just single ones occasionally. That's what I call a 60 FPS game. This here is not one of these.
I personally believe an average frame rate of 50 FPS w/ drops and less frame pacing is a big improvement over 30 FPS w/ drops and frame pacing.
Absolutely agreed.

molnizzle

This whole framepacing and unlocked framerates without giving users the iption to lock the damn thing is fucking disgusting and i honestly have no damn clue how an experienced developer would do such a thing...

ffs...

Yeah.

It's mind boggling.

BigDug13

I don't understand. inFamous was basically a launch window game and showed every developer how to do it. Give players the option of unlocked or 30 locked framerates. It's a simple menu option that pleases both camps.

What is the deal with being so oblivious and/or stubborn as to not offer SIMPLE options like this to please your fanbase? This shit should have been the norm for every unlocked game that doesn't stay around 60 fps.

KoL

I tried it and I think the game feels A LOT better now than before. I want a patch for Bloodborne too.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Wait a second. I haven't followed this debacle religiously, but there's always been a frame pacing/time issue, correct? So the primary problem still exists but at 50fps?

Head.spawn

That frame time graph is ugggggly.

Looks fine to me.

jitter_zpsd6c0e229.gif

ISee

People complaining about uneven frame timings in a game with unlocked fps: That's how it is without gsync or free sync if you don't want to have screen tearing.

The DS3 30fps frame timing issue is probably tied to triple vsync. Whenever the game isn't able to output a frame in 33ms it holds the previous frame for 50 ms and outputs the following frame for just 16ms. This results in two frames being output in 66ms, which is what you want in a 30fps game where every frame is supposed to last for 33ms. But those two frames are distributed uneven which results in feelable stutter. Adaptive vsync would probably fix that because a frame could be drawn even if it isn't completely done, this would of course result in screen tearing but feel much smoother.

In general to get an even frametiming (with vsync enabled) fps have to be a multiple of 60 (on 60 hz displays). So frame timings have to either be at steady 16ms intervals (60fps), 33ms intervals (30 fps), 50 ms intervals (20 fps), 100 ms intervals (10 fps) etc.
This is impossible with unlocked framerates and vsync because fps are all over the place. Some frames here seem to be drawn in 33 ms while other seem to only last for 16 ms (from what I've seen so far in the video).
So two frames are being shown for a total of 50ms (16+33) which results in an fps of 45 (50ms:2=25ms ; 1000:25=45 fps).
Framepacing is uneven in this mode but it is a lot smoother than the previous 50ms + 16ms pacing at 30 fps because the maximum amount of time a frame is on screen is 33ms and not 50ms.

I hope I was able to explain why an even frametiming is expected in a game locked at 30/60 fps while it isn't in a game with an unlocked framerate. I'm also just a layman so please excuse if I made a mistake somewhere.

molnizzle

People complaining about uneven frame timings in a game with unlocked fps: That's how it is without gsync or free sync if you don't want to have screen tearing.

The DS3 30fps frame timing issue is probably tied to triple vsync. Whenever the game isn't able to output a frame in 33ms it holds the previous frame for 50 ms and outputs the following frame for just 16ms. This results in two frames being output in 66ms, which is what you want in a 30fps game where every frame is supposed to last for 33ms. But those two frames are distributed uneven which results in feelable stutter. Adaptive vsync would probably fix that because a frame could be drawn even if it isn't completely done, this would of course result in screen tearing but feel much smoother.

In general to get an even frametiming (with vsync enabled) fps have to be a multiple of 60 (on 60 hz displays). So frame timings have to either be at steady 16ms intervals (60fps), 33ms intervals (30 fps), 50 ms intervals (20 fps), 100 ms intervals (10 fps) etc.
This is impossible with unlocked framerates and vsync because fps are all over the place. Some frames here seem to be drawn in 33 ms while other seem to only last for 16 ms (from what I've seen so far in the video).
So two frames are being shown for a total of 50ms (16+33) which results in an fps of 45 (50ms:2=25ms ; 1000:25=45 fps).
Framepacing is uneven in this mode but it is a lot smoother than the previous 50ms + 16ms pacing at 30 fps because the maximum amount of time a frame is on screen is 33ms and not 50ms.

I hope I was able to explain why an even frametiming is expected in a game locked at 30/60 fps while it isn't in a game with an unlocked framerate. I'm also just a layman so please excuse if I made a mistake somewhere.

...right.

Which is why there should be an option to cap the frame rate at 30 with even frame times.

That's the entire point of people bringing up the uneven timings you get with the variable frame rate.

ISee

...right.

Which is why there should be an option to cap the frame rate at 30 with even frame times.

That's the entire point of people bringing up the uneven timings you get with the variable frame rate.

Not going to argue with that. Of course there should be an option to lock the framerate to 30.

I'm not defending from soft, I just wanted to explain why there is uneven framepacing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
While I do dislike unlocked frame-rates like this it is ultimately a better option than 30fps with severe frame pacing issues. Neither choice is optimal but things are better now on the Pro.

That said, what we're seeing here is very much in line with comparable PC hardware running Dark Souls 3 at 1080p. So further improving performance would require deeper changes to the engine, I'd imagine. As it stands, it performs as expected considering the hardware.

Ahasverus

While I do dislike unlocked frame-rates like this it is ultimately a better option than 30fps with severe frame pacing issues. Neither choice is optimal but things are better now on the Pro.

That said, what we're seeing here is very much in line with comparable PC hardware running Dark Souls 3 at 1080p. So further improving performance would require deeper changes to the engine, I'd imagine. As it stands, it performs as expected considering the hardware.
A 30fps locked with no framepacing is all we're asking for.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
That's what I'd call a sweeping statement.

You're basically throwing every 60 FPS console game under the bus there. Rarely do console 60 FPS games not have any drops. I personally believe an average frame rate of 50 FPS w/ drops and less frame pacing is a big improvement over 30 FPS w/ drops and frame pacing.

Rarely do PC games (especially ports of big AAA console games) stick to a locked 60fps either unless you have hardware which is way above recommended specs. No engine is perfect and can be strained at times which causes drops.

Well, I'd like to see correct frame-pacing as well but it clearly isn't going to happen.

Do you think it's fair to say that Japanese developers don't care as much about the technical side of engines etc ? (Dark Souls, Bloodborne, FFXV, NieR, Nioh, Zelda etc).

OsirisBlack

Banned
Plays much better... well at least to me. Also BB is better with boost mode on, not sure it's locked but it feels much better.

BigEmil

Rarely do PC games (especially ports of big AAA console games) stick to a locked 60fps either unless you have hardware which is way above recommended specs. No engine is perfect and can be strained at times which causes drops.

Do you think it's fair to say that Japanese developers don't care as much about the technical side of engines etc ? (Dark Souls, Bloodborne, FFXV, NieR, NiohZelda etc).
Exactly.

You'd be surprised how many PC gamers are actually not playing at locked 60fps and never really check and they don't notice or care enough to realise.

Frostman

Plays much better... well at least to me. Also BB is better with boost mode on, not sure it's locked but it feels much better.

I agree, I jumped on just to check it out. I would choose this over the 30 + bad framepacing any day.

It's not ideal. I wouldn't be surprised if we continue to see bad framepacing in Froms upcoming games. They don't see it as a priority to fix.

Planet

Won't be better if they locked the FPS to 45?
Not really, since the refresh rate of the TV is 60. Only true 60 or 30 FPS feel (somewhat, in the latter case) smooth, 20 or 15 could also be evenly paced but is too low to feel good.

At "locked" 45 FPS you would display two new frames then repeat the second one, then again from the beginning - not smooth, but may feel more even than varying frame pacing. Or you could introduce tearing that would occur in the dead center of the screen, which would be horrible.

adamsapple

Exactly my point.

This notion of "if it isn't either locked 30 or locked 60, it is terrible" is baffling me. we're seeing much better performance and less frame pacing. It's a win win.

Won't be better if they locked the FPS to 45?

That's how I played Skyrim on my Intel graphics Laptop with the frame rate locking .ini file mod from Nexus DB. I actually thought it was A-OK :p

I'm sorry but this is the direct result of all you nerds saying resolution doesn't matter and performance is everything.

Maybe mods should stop deleting my threads.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I was lucky enough to play DS3 on PC at a locked 60fps and it was one of the big highlights of my gaming year, it's crazy to me that the devs don't put more focus on performance on the console versions. I also finished Bloodborne on PS4 and the difference in fluidity is so massive I can't even put it into words, the frame pacing issue was the real killer, obviously 30fps vs 60fps is no contest but a rock solid 30fps with correct pacing feels so much better than what we got with Bloodborne.

Maybe they could hit 60fps at 900p on the Pro? Offer a full performance mode.

adamsapple

I'm sorry but this is the direct result of all you nerds saying resolution doesn't matter and performance is everything.

Maybe mods should stop deleting my threads.

Maybe posts like this are why the mods delete your threads ?

burgerdog

Do you think it's fair to say that Japanese developers don't care as much about the technical side of engines etc ? (Dark Souls, Bloodborne, FFXV, NieR, Nioh, Zelda etc).

At least name the one title with rock solid performance and sublime frame pacing. Gravity Rush 2. :(

valkyre

Same here. People moan about 30fps on console then they give people the option to play a game at a much higher framerate and they still moan. I get that it's not perfect but for me it takes only a few mins for my eyes to adjust to the fluctuating framerate and I'm fine. I'd rather have 45-50 than 30 with drops. Of course also offering a locked 30 for those that prefer that would be the perfect scenario.

I wonder if they could get similar results with Bloodborne.

If they could offer the option to lock the framerate at 30 (like so many devs do) nobody would complain. I do not get how any decent, experienced developer would not offer this simple option really... there is no excuse.

No. What I'm describing is 45 fps with vsync.
Exactly. One constant framerate, not a "wildly fluctuating" one.

Wow this looks so good. Really fixed the frame time issue!
That frame time graph is ugggggly.
This is what all games look like if not at 30fps or 60fps constantly. There's nothing notably worse than expected here.

Those percentiles are misleading. Average 50 FPS while hardly ever going below 40 means it spends just about exactly as much time below 50 fps as above.
Not precisely true. Because there's a ceiling 10fps above the average, but the game sometimes drops 15fps+ below the average, that means it has to spend a little time holding 60fps to balance. So it spends slightly more time above 50fps than below it.

I am happy for you people that can't perceive those issues, but please don't write us gamers that are sensible to it off as just wanting to complain about everything. I look at the video and see stuttering. It's not that I can't play such games at all, but I constantly feel like there is something wrong (which it is), which distracts heavily from the gameplay.
I am not writing off your complaints. It sucks that this impacts your enjoyment, and I wish it were otherwise. You have every right to be disappointed and annoyed.

But note that stating an unlocked framerate is definitively "wrong", and that the only way to accept it is to be unable to perceive it, writes off the other side of the argument.

The point being, it was stuttery before, it still stutters now. :(
Yep. Though the stutters now are a third shorter than the previous ones, which means input-to-motion lag is improved.

Paragon

I will never understand the hatred for variable frame rates.
Displays update at a fixed 60Hz rate.
If a game is running at anything which is not a divisor of 60, it will stutter.
45 FPS is about the worst-case scenario because it will constantly be flipping between 16.67ms and 33.33ms frames.

The good thing is that HDTVs will have an equivalent to G-Sync/FreeSync in a year or two with HDMI 2.1's Variable Refresh Rate Game Mode.
This will synchronize the refresh rate to the frame rate, eliminating the stuttering that you get with unlocked framerates on a fixed 60Hz refresh rate display.
Hopefully that's something which can be retroactively supported in games on a "PS4 Pro 2" hardware revision, without requiring game-specific patches. (on PC you just force V-Sync to be disabled)

MaLDo

Exactly. One constant framerate, not a "wildly fluctuating" one.

No, again. 45 fps is not constant framerate. And CAN'T BE in a vsynced scenario.

If you buy a car that only can run at 30 mph and 60 mph, when you end your travel with a 45 mph in average, you CAN'T say that was a constant speed.

45 fps means half of the time the REAL framerate is 30 fps and the other half of the time is 60 fps.

Frames per second is always an average, in one second. Doesn't show the full story.

EDIT:

Displays update at a fixed 60Hz rate.
If a game is running at anything which is not a divisor of 60, it will stutter.
45 FPS is about the worst-case scenario because it will constantly be flipping between 16.67ms and 33.33ms frames.

This :)

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"

Yeah I'd agree with this.

Locked 60 fps > 30 fps with even frame pacing > Unlocked framerate > 30 fps with botched frame pacing > Unlocked, highly variable framerate.

Top Bottom