• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[redacted] Hollow Knight

Ganondorfo

You know an indie game is amazing, if it gets a thread that is not an official discussion thread. Sad that nobody is doing that for Specter of Torment.

gngf123

Wait, there are people bashing the art for this game? It has some of the best hand drawn game artwork I have ever seen.

Khezu

Will get it when ever it comes to the Switch.

Well I don't really do portable games often enough, it seems like a great game for it.

FoxSpirit

You know an indie game is amazing, if it gets a thread that is not an official discussion thread. Sad that nobody is doing that for Specter of Torment.
I backed Shovel Knight. It sits at about 500k sales on Steam alone. The game is already known well enough. I don't think more exposure will push Shovel knight any higher on it. It's a great success for Yachtclub games.
I think 500k is mighty fine and if Hollow Knight reaches even half of that on Steam I will be happy.

Hollow Knight is an amazing accomplishment whichs only weakness may conincidentially be in it's low guidance vastness. Trying a 100% in this game completely blind is insane and you will likely be much happier to consult some help for the final 7% YOU have missed since it will be different for everyone.

Mister Wolf

What appeals to me about this game is its art style that isn't retro looking like Shovel Knight or Axiom Verge. Will definitely pick this up on the Switch.

Do we have a concrete date for the Switch version?

Ever since I saw it brought up on EZA and especially with their recent vid, I really want to play it.

Depends on the reasons you didn't like Axiom Verge or the Castlevanias.

Quite a few reason for Axiom Verge, I didn't like the gameplay all that much, I felt that it was pretty basic, both Guacamelee and Strider have considerably more complex gameplay systems (Strider has bullet deflection and timing, Guacamelee has lots of combos and whatnot) and also I got lost quite often, wasn't sure where to go which was probably the biggest factor. Both Guacamelee and Strider always ensured I could progress because they have colour coded maps showing you placed you could unlock with your new powers.

Castlevania, I just found the movement was clunky and slow. I probably could have stuck with it longer.

jb1234

Quite a few reason for Axiom Verge, I didn't like the gameplay all that much, I felt that it was pretty basic, both Guacamelee and Strider have considerably more complex gameplay systems (Strider has bullet deflection and timing, Guacamelee has lots of combos and whatnot) and also I got lost quite often, wasn't sure where to go which was probably the biggest factor. Both Guacamelee and Strider always ensured I could progress because they have colour coded maps showing you placed you could unlock with your new powers.

Castlevania, I just found the movement was clunky and slow. I probably could have stuck with it longer.

Hrm. Your biggest hurdle will probably be the map system, which unfortunately doesn't have support for annotations. At least early on, I ended up printing the maps out so I could write notes on them. I liked Hollow Knight more than any of the games you listed but your mileage may vary based on taste.

emag

WHAT???? I am sorry but Dust? I mean, the inagme art was great and animation smooth but the rest? A combo mashy fighting system that simply dragged on and on, terrible portraits, even more terrible voice acting and a bland, upfront story.

Agreed.

GAF's history of praise for Dust and Ori certainly makes me wary of similar hype for Hallow Knight. Besides, most of the love seems to be centered on the art (which is polarizing at best) and the expansiveness/lengthiness (ditto).

Agreed.

GAF's history of praise for Dust and Ori certainly makes me wary of similar hype for Hallow Knight. Besides, most of the love seems to be centered on the art (which is polarizing at best) and the expansiveness/lengthiness (ditto).
GAF praise for Ori?
And not like the very positive overall praise for Ori?

You shouldn't equate your dislike for something as everyone else being wrong

killroy87

some serious nonsense in this thread. all these super metroid trash talking smh.

I love SM, and it still plays incredibly well, but I don't think it's remained fresh as a Metroidvania in the same way Super Mario Bros 3/Super Mario World has as a platformer. I still see those game pretty much unbeat in their genre, whereas I feel Metroid has been improved upon.

It's not a slight to SM, that game still ushered in a new style of games in the way only a handful of games can claim.

emag

GAF praise for Ori?
And not like the very positive overall praise for Ori?

You shouldn't equate your dislike for something as everyone else being wrong

Of course not. People can very well enjoy things that I don't care for. I'm simply saying that I'm wary of taking GAF's recommendations in the way of Metroidvanias as so many that have been highly praised here I found disappointing.

Momodora and Guacamelee I really liked, but the praise for those was specific to combat, and in the case of Guac, also platforming and was accompanied by supporting gifs. So many others, like Dust, Ori, and Valdis Story I found unfulfilling, and tended to have less praise directed at those specific game mechanics but rather to graphical/technical achievement or worldbuilding. Hallow Knight appears to fall into the latter category.

d00d3n

Of course not. People can very well enjoy things that I don't care for. I'm simply saying that I'm wary of taking GAF's recommendations in the way of Metroidvanias as so many that have been highly praised here I found disappointing.

Momodora and Guacamelee I really liked, but the praise for those was specific (combat, and in the case of Guac, platforming) and accompanied by supporting gifs. So many others, like Dust, Ori, and Valdis Story I found unfulfilling, and tended to have less praise directed at specific game mechanics or systems. Hallow Knight appears to fall into the latter category.

Ori got A LOT of praise for the bash game mechanic that allows you to bounce from and redirect enemy projectiles. One of the most innovative and best realized traversal mechanics in a metroidvania imo.

Momodora and Guacamelee I really liked, but the praise for those was specific (combat, and in the case of Guac, platforming) and accompanied by supporting gifs. So many others, like Dust, Ori, and Valdis Story I found unfulfilling, and tended to have less praise directed at specific game mechanics or systems. Hallow Knight appears to fall into the latter category.
The combat, exploration, NPCs, world, etc. had been specifically praised quite a bit.

Personally I'd actually compare Hollow Knight's combat to Momodora, in how you have a basic weapon (leaf, nail) and combo that you upgrade and improve, with satisfying feedback for hits

Toli08

Game looks cool and very interesting. Especially some of the enemies. Will gladly pick it up once it comes out on the ps4. The EZA video really got me interested in this game. This game also made me realize that I have to go and finally play Axiom Verge.

Hrm. Your biggest hurdle will probably be the map system, which unfortunately doesn't have support for annotations. At least early on, I ended up printing the maps out so I could write notes on them. I liked Hollow Knight more than any of the games you listed but your mileage may vary based on taste.

Thanks, though I guess the bottomline is, am I liable to get lost, or stuck for hours on end?

That's my biggest turn off for a metroidvania game, i don't even mind not enjoying their combat systems, but getting stuck isn't fun for me. It's okay if it's a boss, or a puzzle that I'm stuck on, but if it's because I forgot about a door I need to open in the first region... I find that design difficult to tolerate.

jb1234

Thanks, though I guess the bottomline is, am I liable to get lost, or stuck for hours on end?

That's my biggest turn off for a metroidvania game, i don't even mind not enjoying their combat systems, but getting stuck isn't fun for me. It's okay if it's a boss, or a puzzle that I'm stuck on, but if it's because I forgot about a door I need to open in the first region... I find that design difficult to tolerate.

Nah, I doubt it. The game becomes very non-linear later on and I was actually overwhelmed by the amount of locations I was able to explore. Granted, most of them optional but still, it's nice to have options. In early game, like most Metroidvanias, it's important to keep track of areas that you can now access because you've gotten new abilities.

I don't know why JB1234 feels differently, but you will definitely get lost. It's part of the charm of this game since it is so huge.

You will get lost in Hollow Knight. But that's part of the appeal. Diving into this otherworldly place, uncovering its secrets, meeting its weird inhabitants, peeking around its distant corners, and learning the map in the process

Would I like it if I don't like Axiom Verge and Castlevania but like Guacamelee, Shantae and Strider (2014)?
Hollow Knight isn't nearly as unfocused as Axiom Verge nor does it have the same problem of offering many overlapping rewards, but its map design is as open. There are hints strewn about for the next step in your critical path if you talk to the right NPC's, but outside of that you're on your own. Hollow Knight has a decent amount of combat tools, but it's not in the same style as Guacamelee. Does have significantly more enemy diversity though, coupled with difficulty that isn't practically non-existent like it was in Guacamelee.

I'm one of the rare people who never thought Super Metroid was anything special. Maybe because I first played it when I was much older? I dunno.

Ori and the Blind forest was a much better Metroidvania for me. Shadow Complex too. Maybe even Strider.
Gross at the bolded. Strider is a below-average Metroidvania and even worse of a sequel. Not entirely sure how you could mess up a game about a cyberpunk ninja, but Double Helix succeeded in that task with flying colors. Thoroughly unsatisfying on all fronts.

Ori on the other hand is indeed great fun as an action-platformer, but it fails to really capitalize on the strengths of a Metroidvania-esque structure. In between the blatant guidance + scripted nature killing exploration, it lacking combat (regardless of it not being a mandatory pillar) and most areas feeling like one-offs in how quickly they're disposed of, I wouldn't find it comparable to Super Metroid or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. High-quality game all the same however, especially the production values and fluidity in controls.

Agreed.

Not to toot my own horn, but I can relate to your scepticism so maybe this post helps shed some more light in how Hollow Knight greatly differs from those games. I'd say it and Ori & The Blind Forest about as opposite in their execution as it gets, all-in-all.

jimboton

Momodora and Guacamelee I really liked, but the praise for those was specific to combat, and in the case of Guac, also platforming and was accompanied by supporting gifs. So many others, like Dust, Ori, and Valdis Story I found unfulfilling, and tended to have less praise directed at those specific game mechanics but rather to graphical/technical achievement or worldbuilding. Hallow Knight appears to fall into the latter category.

If you found Ori's platforming and Valdis Story's combat unfulfilling then I don't quite know what to tell you man, except that if you haven't seen Hollow Knight's combat or platforming being specifically praised is because everything about that game is so fucking fantastic that one kind of gives up trying to single out one aspect of the game over the others and it's easy to end up like 'look this is the best metroidvania since forever ok?'. I'm sure you've already seen some of those comments by now. Trust me, there's no hyperbole there, that's just how it is.

Fredrik

hollow knight is basically an upgraded ori
Interesting! The platforming looks a bit standard in the video but maybe it's just showing the start to not spoil anything? Ori was really unique by the end when it comes to the traversals. Is there a unique twist to the gameplay in HK too later on or is it mostly elevating what's already been done before?

Axass

Interesting! The platforming looks a bit standard in the video but maybe it's just showing the start to not spoil anything? Ori was really unique by the end when it comes to the traversals. Is there a unique twist to the gameplay in HK too later on or is it mostly elevating what's already been done before?

You start with a single jump, but slowly you unlock many traversal options.

BTW I still don't get why the title hasn't been changed back, are we not allowed to have opinions anymore?

I honestly figured the title change was more to prevent the thread from focusing on super metroid comparisons and putting the focus on Hollow Knight fully.

tim.mbp

It's on my wishlist. I'm still playing games from that Humble Freedom bundle, but I hope to get around to buying it this summer.

Guys, let's please stop the fighting in here.

Personally, I'm just happy we're seeing Metroidvanias becoming more popular again. When we started development on Ori, the only company that would even dare to make Metroidvanias was Konami and since then they also dropped the ball. We pitched Ori as 'Hey, people love these kinda games and nobody is making them anymore!' (Apart from very small indie titles, I think Aquaria was the only 'bigger' budget thing that came close to being a Metroidvania), so it's just awesome to see that this genre - which obviously has a ton of hardcore fans - gets its fair share of games again.

Personally, I was turned off at first by Hollow Knight, since I saw the repeated level designs and the pacing threw me off - It took forever to get the first upgrades and when I first got a sword upgrade and my sword actually looked and felt pretty much the exact same afterwards, I was pretty disappointed, but I've since come around and got totally hooked and think it's a great game that I'd fully recommend. The more I played, the better it became.

I think it's senseless to compare Ori to Hollow Knight though, since both games try to go for something very different. Ori at the core is more of a platformer (which is why we put so much work into making the core controls feel great, until you were essentially just flying through the levels using Double Jumps, Bash, etc.), whereas Hollow Knight is much more focused on a more traditional approach. Just because you can jump in both Mario and Mega Man doesn't mean they're really all that comparable. The design philosophy behind both games was a totally different one and I for one enjoy the various approaches developers take within the genre :) Rain World just tried to bring Survival Game Mechanics into the Metroidvania formula, so how rad is that? :D

Specter of Torment is brilliant. I love what those Yacht Club folks are doing :)

That said, I think the reason why you don't see that many threads about SK anymore is because they've been focusing a lot on what people just perceive as 'DLC'. People get more stuff within the same package, but by now it probably would've been wise for them to move on to make a whole new thing. Time to bug David again to jump on Shovel Knight 64 ASAP :D

CHC

When does it release for platforms other than Switch? Going to play the whole game on 3DS once it comes out, and I think we'll see more buzz about the game at that point anyway.

Thud

When does it release for platforms other than Switch? Going to play the whole game on 3DS once it comes out, and I think we'll see more buzz about the game at that point anyway.

Should be next month. Although 3DS needs a few hoops.

Just just GAF though. Both Ori and Hollow Knight are universally praised as great games. Hollow Knight is still my game of the year even after beating (and loving) Horizon Zero Dawn.

Personally I'd actually compare Hollow Knight's combat to Momodora, in how you have a basic weapon (leaf, nail) and combo that you upgrade and improve, with satisfying feedback for hits

I still haven't gotten around to Momodora, but this sounds promising.

Top Bottom