• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton video message on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might be embarrassing, ignorant, and childish but it is specifically why she lost. This thread has been amazing and depressing, it has deflated me as a progressive more than anything since Clinton lost the election. I was feeling so damn hopefully and instantly it is dashed, we are fucking doomed; not because of Republicans but because of supposed Democrats. We so truly deserve this shit, we earned it.
Actual progressives who didn't like Hillary but cared about the left being motivated and focused in 18/20 would support her reaching out to her camp to get them energized. Because these people are just as needed as every other wing of the Left going forward and facing the GOP with a united front. I don't like Sanders much, but you better believe I want him firing up people who supported him and keeping them engaged and ready to turn out and I'd be a fool to criticize him for doing so.

We clearly have a lot of fools in this thread.

tbm24

I did. I saw more Bernie stickers/shirts/signs than Hillary. The excitement divide was real.
Come by my apartment, you'll see my Hillary sticker on my window in a sea of Trump signs, he still got rolled over in my county in Queens(so did Bernie for what it's worth). Signs don't indicate anything.

E-Cat

He already set his precedent by losing. The solution isn't to try again with solely his approach.
By barely(!) losing to an ex-president's wife with 30 years of public exposure and the DNC backing them. Give it another 4 years. Maybe Trump was exactly what the progressives needed?

Sinfamy

Smh a y'all for now hating on the one woman who tried her damnedest to rescue you from the orange turd who you voted in anyway because you thought she was robotic or some shit.

Bye.

I voted her despite not being my candidate of choice.
With that said she did not try "her damnedest".
Just look at her campaigning schedule, look at it.

You can blame it on ignorance, you can blame it on hubris, but there is hardly any good excuse in spending most of the campaign time fund raising in New York and California, and hardly ever visiting areas of great importance.
The same places where she lost by margins she never visited and had a terrible ground game. Almost like she learned very little from 2008.

Toxi

Banned
So wait, did Trump win because he was the only one who represents the poor forgotten white working class of real America and the Democrats need to only appeal to them if we want to win, or did he win because Hillary Clinton is the worst Presidential candidate ever?

No dabbing? What a disappointment that video was. Not sure I can relate to her anymore, maybe if she made some comment about how great the new planet coaster is... But I bet she only plays the new rollercoaster tycoon game.

What about it? Please explain.

Are you saying that none of her votes came from the mindset of "anybody but Trump", or "no choice but Hillary"?

Poster said, the rest of America didn't take to her.

Look at the popular vote, clearly that is wrong, Americans took to her just fine...they just happened to live in the wrong states.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Pretty sure GAF isn't large enough to make up the millions of votes she won by in the primary.

What he said is the definition of living in an Internet bubble. Visiting a few message boards and thinking you have a good understanding of the country.

royalan

Well, tell me... why is Hillary Clinton criticized to hell and back for the Iraq War vote and the super-predators comment, but Diamond Joe Biden, who also voted for the same war and wrote the crime bill the comment was about in the first place given a free pass for both of those things and treated as if they didn't exist, in addition to having his two failed bids for President completely swept under the rug? Why was Hillary's vote for the Iraq War in particular treated like an unforgivable sin during the primaries, but people don't seem to mind when it's Joe Biden voting for it? Because I can't figure out any reason for that double-standard about it not only being bad, but totally unforgivable-bad when it's HRC, but suddenly not that big of a deal anymore and "all in the past" when Joe Biden's name comes out, other than a combination of internalizing decades of smears for one but not the other and sexist double standards. If that stuff is enough to write Clinton off, it should also be for Biden, but yet...

But in any case, elections are complicated things. They aren't won or lost by any one of factors. Was it purely sexism? No. But it definitely played a damn significant role and was one of the multitude of reasons she lost.

YOU BETTER COME THRU WITH THIS WORD

By barely(!) losing to an ex-president's wife with 30 years of public exposure and the DNC backing them. Give it another 4 years. Maybe Trump was exactly what the progressives needed?

...And then Bernie can lose by even bigger margin than Hillary because moderate suburban voters in Colorado, Virginia, and Nevada decide not to vote for the guy who will raise middle class taxes and take away the good health insurance they've worked hard for and make them have the same insurance as unemployed layabouts.

Steel

Banned

On what planet did Bernie lose in anything but a landslide? Hillary did far better against Obama than Bernie against Hillary. Furthermore, Trump actually won his primary with the RNC overtly trying to stop him, on the other hand.

All that being said: why the fuck are we relitigating this over Hillary Clinton releasing a freaking video? Where did she touch you wrong?

kirblar

Well for one Hillary and Trump are the same race- white- so that makes no sense.
"Democrat" = "Black people" is still very much a thing in parts of the US.

When Angus King in 1993 announced he was running as an independent instead of a Dem, he used the dogwhistle rationale of "The Democratic Party as an institution has become too much the party that is looking for something from government,"

The "Reagan Democrats" never went away. They just got older while the world changed around them. Rural areas (which are almost entirely white) went 80/20 Trump. These are people petrified of people who don't look or act like them because they grow up in bubbles and never actually interact with anyone who doesn't look or act like them.

mxgt

Banned
What he said is the definition of living in an Internet bubble. Visiting a few message boards and thinking you have a good understanding of the country.

Reminds me of the hundreds of GAFers who were beyond convinced Hillary would win in a landslide.

It's sad that the irrational hatred of her spread from the republicans and consumed so many. :-(

You'll get to see a replay of this successful strategy in 2020 if Democrats nominate another woman, I bet Republicans are already trying to see what they can use on someone like Gillibrand if she gets really popular and decides to run.

And also expect the usual, "why doesn't she smile more?" Garbage of course.

mjp2417

Banned
Clinton was a mistake from the beginning. DNC shouldn't have pushed her. Only GAF took to her. The rest of America didn't give a fuck.

Man, some of y'all really need to take a break from posting on neogaf.com sometimes. Even just for like an hour or two once a week.

So wait, did Trump win because he was the only one who represents the poor forgotten white working class of real America and the Democrats need to only appeal to them if we want to win, or did he win because Hillary Clinton is the worst Presidential candidate ever?
whynotboth

This is a bad strawman because Hillary ignored the working class (nonwhite working class voted for her but in bad numbers for a Democrat) and Trump made at least some efforts to appeal to them.

That's not the whole story since this has been brewing for a long time and the problems run much deeper than any one candidate or election!

UFO

Banned
Poster said, the rest of America didn't take to her.

Look at the popular vote, clearly that is wrong, Americans took to her just fine...they just happened to live in the wrong states.

Again... America didn't take to her. Look at her pre-election approval ratings. She won approximately half the vote just like every other Dem/Rep in the history of elections, that's not proof that America took to her. Low voter turnout is though. Especially against a historically bad and unprepared candidate like Trump.

E-Cat

...And then Bernie can lose by even bigger margin than Hillary because moderate suburban voters in Colorado, Virginia, and Nevada decide not to vote for the guy who will raise middle class taxes and take away the good health insurance they've worked hard for and make them have the same insurance as unemployed layabouts.
Right, because they were too dumb to realize their taxes would be effectively lowered.

Toxi

Banned
Colorado actually went for Sanders over Clinton in the Primary. We were just smart enough to realize during the general election that letting Donald Trump be President because emails is really silly. We're not Wisconsin after all.

Ms.Galaxy

I mean fuck, let's see if the Bernie wing can win a primary first. Let's not pretend that only Bernie lost: almost all of the candidates he supported lost too. Hard Left candidates took the BIGGEST L in this election.

They couldn't even take down DWS, their biggest enemy.

But yeah, move aside Clinton supporters!

Yeah, progressivism in the United States doesn't work well because all one has to say is that they'll increase taxes and people will be up in arms against it. Look how universal healthcare is treated here, people want it but they don't want to pay for it. Coloradocare was up on the ballot last year, and it lost bigly by nearly 80% against it, and this is a blue-purple state. Even here in gaf, once Bernie's tax plan was release, people quickly turned and went against it.

On a side note, when progressivism did work in the United States, FDR, medicare, social security, foodstamps, and so on, it all came to happen because only white people would get it at the time. Since then those programs expand to people of color, and now white people complain about welfare queens, and mah tax money, and so on.

Atlagev

I mean fuck, let's see if the Bernie wing can win a primary first. Let's not pretend that only Bernie lost: almost all of the candidates he supported lost too. Hard Left candidates took the BIGGEST L in this election.

They couldn't even take down DWS, their biggest enemy.

But yeah, move aside Clinton supporters!

Even in San Francisco, where he backed Jane Kim for State Senate, she lost to Scott Wiener.

And statewide, he backed Prop 61, which lost too.

Coffinhal

Unfathomable that after everything that has happened since Trump took office that anyone who isn't a Trump supporter could say something like this

You would've had Trump or another ethno-nationalist in 2020 then. It's sad that you have to know what neofascism is to build a proper alternative, but don't blame the guy you quote, blame the political system you have, the DNC aristocratic/nepotist system and all the policies that were implemented, and most importantly, not implemented.

The Bernie wing aren't going to get a president elected. It needs to be someone more moderate.

Is is a post from the DNC primary ? Because we saw who lost.

"Let's keep the same approach!! It was maybe a problem with her profile, there had a lot of fake news, russian involvement, people are dumb and uneducated etc"

And by barely you mean he lost by 12% and nearly 4 million votes

Clinton in 2008 barely lost to Obama. Sanders in 2016 solidly lost to Clinton. In fact it was clear after South Carolina last February that he was going to lose

Nafai1123

Banned
I find it so odd that most of the time, there is a general consensus around here about providing evidence, thinking about things logically, and coming to conclusions based on that logic and evidence.

But when it comes to Hillary, throw all that shit out the window and get ready for hyperbole driven arguments with no critical thinking or basis in reality. It's really crazy to see just how much people fundamentally dislike her, because that is ultimately the only reason for such fervid and blind statements.

D i Z

Are people here seriously calling out for her to disappear and be quiet, and strip the party of the most visible rallying point that we might ever know as a collective in the next decade?
Seriously?

If you have the most recognizable face on the planet fully primed for outreach with a message ready to go, why would you not use your most effective delivery method?
The Neo-cons, Tea party, alt right, Reps, Nazi's, Birthers, Truthers, Flat Earthers, Anti Vaxers, Anti LGBTQ, Anti Education, Anti Immigrant, Anti black, Anti Union, Anti universal health care, Climate change deniers, Anti clean energy, Anti choice, Anti Liberty, Anti TRUTH, and the goddamned internet troll machine..... is hoping that this line of stupidity going on here will keep people looking at EVERYTHING except at the common goals.
That's how we lost before. That's how we'll lose again.

Hillary is in a position to continue the work that we need. Stop getting in her way and help for once.

This and the similar posts are so embarrassing, ignorant and childish.

Hillary is a good woman who wanted good things for this country. This hate that some people seem to have for her is insane.

I dont hate her. I just think her staying in public political view after the biggest ball dropping ever is not good. Everyone just needs to move on unless she wants to risk associating more people with her failure

Trump won because the Hillary campaign took a lot of the country for granted and didnt put the work in.

It was political hubris. Its not complicated. I think if the campaign was a bit smarter and worked harder in the right areas things would be a lot different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom