• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 02•17-19•17 - Americans say no to The Wall on Presidents' Day Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Let's talk about Tom Hooper beating out David Fincher for best director. I enjoy The King's Speech, but Hooper makes so many directing decisions that just piss me the fuck off.

Kings Speech is a completely serviceable movie with a great performance by Firth, who got fucked over largely the year before with a complete snub from A Single Man(Hands down the best performance nominated). While the Social Network is one of those decade defining films that are still remembered fondly today, where it has the modern craft, but loses nothing as the film ages.

Let's talk about Tom Hooper beating out David Fincher for best director. I enjoy The King's Speech, but Hooper makes so many directing decisions that just piss me the fuck off.

It's his style, son. I don't mind it, but then I saw how many people hated the way he directed Les Miserable for most of the scenes and see a lot of people aren't fans of his. LOL

It may pull an uplifting triumph over Suicide Squad for best makeup. That's if it isn't upset by the Swedish film that practically no one watching the ceremony has ever heard of.

Amazing that they can possibly put "Academy Award winning Suicide Squad" on the Blu-Ray release one day.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I do too. And if that happens, the anti-"PC" crowd will be out in full force on Monday, because god forbid him, Viola Davis, and Mahershala Ali all win on the same night!
And even if that happens, Emma Stone winning will bring the morons out who can't forgive her over Aloha, which bombed anyways.

And even if that happens, Emma Stone winning will bring the morons out who can't forgive her over Aloha, which bombed anyways.

Ya I'm sorry I don't want to forgive a fuckin' flop haole for getting up in my shit

Y'all are actors, you can afford a Hawaii vacation, you don't need to make a movie to go there

And I'll ALSO never forgive her for being in Sleeping Dogs and having her character arc inexplicably end with a police report saying she basically went to Hong Kong to get fucked cause she has yellow fever

Ridley327

I'm pretty sure Adam Sandler just makes movies to go on vacations now

I'm just imagining the suits over at Netflix telling their data guys to run the numbers again on the hits that Adam Sandler films get on the service, just to be sure that they're not wasting all their money for him and his friends to go off and fuck around.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Hermione would have been pretty awful in La La Land. thank you Emma Ng for the last minute save.

I'm sure Beauty and the Beast will earn her another nom anyways

Yep. The Grown ups movies were just family vacations for him and all his buddies, paid for by the studio.

Honestly, that's something I can't hate him for. He's always kept his buds close, even though he could have ditched them at anytime.

Ridley327

What about Miles Teller though?

I think he would have been a very different Sebastian, who would have likely been less likely to be as self-deprecating as Gosling was and may have played it a bit more seriously. I think they made the right choice to go with Gosling, but Teller would have been very interesting in a way that Emma Watson wouldn't have been as Mia.

One of my favorite awards show moments ever is Gervais calling that back out at the Golden Globes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAweiV944qI

Because they needed to give Pacino for his horseshit performance in Scent of a Women.

I would have accepted his Oscar for The Hurricane too. Probably his best, underrated performance.

IIRC, Hurricane got derailed by a last minute campaign pointing out that part of the movie was exaggerating the truth, or some BS.

Ridley327

It may not have taken the biggest awards, but it can at least claim it won the most.

Too bad the Academy was still doing their circle jerk over Inarritu that year.

BUT IT WAS SUCH A HARD MOVIE TO MAKE

That's where WB fucked up: they could have cleaned up if they mentioned how much it took to make Fury Road even once, and voters would have been swooning.

I do too. And if that happens, the anti-"PC" crowd will be out in full force on Monday, because god forbid him, Viola Davis, and Mahershala Ali all win on the same night!

Could you imagine a Blackout? Moonlight winning Best Picture, Barry Jenkins winning Best Director, Barry Jenkins or August Wilson winning Best Adapted Screenplay, Denzel winning Best Actor, Ruth Negga winning Best Actress, Mahershala Ali winning Best Supporting Actor, Viola winning Best Supporting Actress, Bradford Young for Best Cinematography, 13th, OJ, or I Am Not Your Negro winning Best Documentary all on the same night.

kswiston

I've never seen an Emma Watson performance that I would classify as much more than average.

Speaking off all these 20-something Emmas, while young women win regularly, young guys really get screwed when it comes to winning awards. Adrian Brody is the only man to win best leading actor before turning 30, and he was like a month out from his 30th birthday. Four male actors in their 20s won best supporting actor. Heath Ledger and Cuba were both 29. Heath would have been snubbed if he wasn't a corpse.

Could you imagine a Blackout? Moonlight winning Best Picture, Barry Jenkins winning Best Director, Barry Jenkins or August Wilson winning Best Adapted Screenplay, Denzel winning Best Actor, Ruth Negga winning Best Actress, Mahershala Ali winning Best Supporting Actor, Viola winning Best Supporting Actress, Bradford Young for Best Cinematography, 13th, OJ, or I Am Not Your Negro winning Best Documentary all on the same night.

Trump's base would be holding "Take back our awards" campaigns on social media.

BUT IT WAS SUCH A HARD MOVIE TO MAKE

That's where WB fucked up: they could have cleaned up if they mentioned how much it took to make Fury Road even once, and voters would have been swooning.

But all the shit Leo went through for some shots!

But yeah, if they played up the years and years of delays and bullshit for Fury Road, it might have cleaned up more. But they just decided to let the (superior) film stand on its own merits and not add a drama or narrative to the awards season.

But, it would also be genre snobbery sneaking in. Can't let a sci-fi film, much less a sequel, come in and take away from other things.

Could you imagine a Blackout? Moonlight winning Best Picture, Barry Jenkins winning Best Director, Denzel winning Best Actor, Ruth Negga winning Best Actress, Mahershala Ali winning Best Supporting Actor, Viola winning Best Supporting Actress, Bradford Young for Best Cinematography, 13th, OJ, or I Am Not Your Negro winning Best Documentary all in the same night.

Nah. They'll split Best Picture/Best Director. La La Land/Moonlight will both get some love.

Then again, I expected Best Album and Best Record to split between Adele and Beyonce, and we saw how that went.

Fury Road and The Big Short are both going to be very fondly remembered as time goes on, IMO. Definitely more so than the other noms last year.
I thought everyone loved shoving cameras up an actor's nose!

That has such a simple explanation as to why, though: because it was a Weinstein Company film and Harvey wanted it bad that year.
*barf*

It's his style, son. I don't mind it, but then I saw how many people hated the way he directed Les Miserable for most of the scenes and see a lot of people aren't fans of his. LOL
At least Les Mis doesn't use a fisheye lens 3 times. :p

Nah. They'll split Best Picture/Best Director. La La Land/Moonlight will both get some love.

Then again, I expected Best Album and Best Record to split between Adele and Beyonce, and we saw how that went.

I mean I know that, we're entertaining what-if scenarios that would incite people to proclaim PC running rampant. LOL

Ridley327

I've never seen an Emma Watson performance that I would classify as much more than average.

Speaking off all these 20-something Emmas, young guys really get screwed when it comes to winning awards. Adrian Brody is the only man to win best leading actor before turning 30, and he was like a month out from his 30th birthday. Four male actors in their 20s won best supporting actor. Heath Ledger and Cuba were both 29. Heath would have been snubbed if he wasn't a corpse.

Trump's base would be holding "Take back our awards" campaigns on social media.

Watson was probably the best thing about The Bling Ring, but I could not say with a straight face that it as the kind of role that required a lot from her other than to keep the American accent consistent. Otherwise, she's just another ingenue that got really damn lucky to get cast in the franchise that she did and seems content to coast on that goodwill. There are no farty boner corpse parts for her.

I don't know if it was Oscar worthy but I thought Hailee Steinfeld put on a really terrific performance in Edge of Seventeen despite being miscast in the role.

I don't know if it was Oscar worthy but I thought Hailee Steinfeld put on a really terrific performance in Edge of Seventeen despite being miscast in the role.

really liked her in that. unexpectedly was a top 10 movie of the year for me.

Between that and True Grit I think she's gonna do fine in the future.

- J - D -

I think he would have been a very different Sebastian, who would have likely been less likely to be as self-deprecating as Gosling was and may have played it a bit more seriously. I think they made the right choice to go with Gosling, but Teller would have been very interesting in a way that Emma Watson wouldn't have been as Mia.

That's my take on it too. I don't really have that high of an opinion of Ryan Gosling.

kswiston

Ya. Assuming that she can transition into adult roles, and she doesn't get stuck playing a teenager until she's 28. Always a risk.

Ridley327

You know, I didn't feel the miscast was that prevalent, since it seemed like that a lot of her social issues was more because of toxic personality than her looks. To me, that seemed like the point that they were trying to make with the contrast when her friend makes the transition that she does.

But yeah, that was one part that the Golden Globes managed to get right.

Way too attractive to be convincing in that role, though. I remember rolling my eyes when one of the characters tried making a Twins movie comparison and alluded to her being Danny Devito.

You know, I didn't feel the miscast was that prevalent, since it seemed like that a lot of her social issues was more because of toxic personality than her looks. To me, that seemed like the point that they were trying to make with the contrast when her friend makes the transition that she does.

But yeah, that was one part that the Golden Globes managed to get right.

And yet her only friend she could ever get is a very normal, socially outgoing, hot chick.

Glad to see the Edge of Seventeen love here; rented it this week and was genuinely surprised how much I liked it, even knowing about the stellar reviews. And yeah, Hailee Steinfeld was great in it.

It's a shame the film's BO got gutted by releasing alongside Fantastic Beasts, though.

Not surprised by The Great Wall's performance, it's definitely not "great". At least China will save it from losing a lot of money.

That's why it's all the more surprising the amount of love the Academy gave Fury Road.

It was time to show their once a decade love for an action/genre film.

Or, the film was just that strong, and many reactions from creators in the industry were glowing that it was impossible to completely overlook it for being a genre sequel.
The film still feels like it came out of fucking nowhere to rip everyone's face off like Immortan Joe.

I know people were expecting a very well made action film, but for it to get that strong of a critical reaction, especially after the hell of making it, is just incredible.

kswiston

Or, the film was just that strong, and many reactions from creators in the industry were glowing that it was impossible to completely overlook it for being a genre sequel.

They had no problem passing it over for best Director in favor of the guy who won the year before.

It's not so much that Fury Road didn't deserve all of those nominations/wins as it is the fact that it had to be the best action film in over 20 years to get into that position.

I believe Fury Road was the best reviewed film that year, wasn't it?
Metacritic has 10 films above it, though I haven't heard of half of them.

On rotten tomatoes, I believe Inside Out has a 98% with like a 9/10 average. Selma, which was largely snubbed by the Academy, has a 99%. Edit: I forgot that Selma would technically be a 2014, releasing on Christmas Day of that year.

The film still feels like it came out of fucking nowhere to rip everyone's face off like Immortan Joe.

I know people were expecting a very well made action film, but for it to get that strong of a critical reaction, especially after the hell of making it, is just incredible.

We weren't questioning it's nominations, but merely showing shock in the Academy acknowledging a May blockbuster action film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom