• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Nitsuj23

Silicon Valley is kind of thriving again since last year. Lots of money and investors putting money into new companies. Lots of tech obviously, with little experience it might get a little tough because of the diversity and talent out here in the Bay Area. It's quite common that Silicon Valley workers end up working or cross paths again, so a lot of familiar faces everywhere you go.

But be warned even with a higher than average salary out here, the high cost of living is pretty ridiculous than most parts of the country.

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering how I'd survive before I crack into Silicon Valley. I'll have my BA from MSU, but I'm really not interested in Accounting as a career doesn't help me much. Hopefully it can get me some type of beyond minimum wage job, though? Not sure what type of non-tech opportunities there are in the area. I mean I can learn on the job, I just don't know what's out there besides tech. I wouldn't mind being ~30-45 mins out from Silicon Valley as I know it'd be cheaper. Once I get a job there, then I'd move. Do people make livable wages off restaurant jobs? That would be like a last resort. I've been serving through college, don't want to move cross country to continue to serve.

I really want to move out there because I think it'd be awesome to do a Programming Bootcamp -- specifically iOS or Android oriented. Those kind of things just aren't happening in Michigan, and I don't have the time or money to go back to school for a Computer Science degree. A Bootcamp is semi-affordable and skips the fluff, and I'll already have a Bachelor degree on my resume at least -- albeit in Accounting. Thanks for the reply.

butzopower

proud of his butz
What's the job scene like over there? I'm graduating in May from Michigan State with a BA in Accounting and an IT Specialization. I want to work in tech, but don't feel qualified enough yet. The IT Specialization exposed me to some Intro to CS stuff and Python, but I want to self teach for a few months before I feel comfortable applying to entry level positions. Ideally I could do some type of iOS or Android Bootcamp class, which I hear is becoming kind of popular out there.

I'm 22 and single so don't need much to get by. I feel like I need to be near Silicon Valley to get the most out of the tech industry, and there's no better time to try it than when I'm young and not tied down by family. I just don't want to move out there and not be able to have some type of income. Any opinions or think it'd be better to wait until I have a job secured? I'm just ready to get out of Michigan, and there are better opportunities to learn (Bootcamps) out there. It's obviously not ideal to be across the country with no money, though. This decision has been keeping me up at night... especially since I graduate in a month and my current lease is up in August. Have to figure something out! Thanks for any insight :D

I don't know much about the valley, but there's definitely a lot of meetups and hack spaces and what not in SF. There's usually a ton of stuff on Meetup: http://ios.meetup.com/cities/us/ca/san_francisco/

Most people I've worked with on iOS stuff out here have been self taught. Your best bet is probably to spend the next few months learning iOS, building some dumb little app for yourself, and deploy it to the App Store. It's a bit daunting at first, but you'd be able to get some basic understandings of each step of building an app.

Nitsuj23

I don't know much about the valley, but there's definitely a lot of meetups and hack spaces and what not in SF. There's usually a ton of stuff on Meetup: http://ios.meetup.com/cities/us/ca/san_francisco/

Most people I've worked with on iOS stuff out here have been self taught. Your best bet is probably to spend the next few months learning iOS, building some dumb little app for yourself, and deploy it to the App Store. It's a bit daunting at first, but you'd be able to get some basic understandings of each step of building an app.

Yeah, I bought Objective-C by The Big Nerd Ranch. Plan to hit that hard once I graduate. I'm in an Intro to CS/Python class right now. This is my first introduction to programming and it's nice to have it be in a formal setting. I've had my iOS book for like a year but kept putting it down after the first few chapters. After my Python class I just feel more comfortable dealing with code in general. Hopefully by the time summer is over I can have something in the App Store, even if it's not the prettiest thing.

Edit: Those meetups are definitely an incentive to move out there! If only I could afford it. I need to take some time and research non minimum wage jobs in the area. If I could work 30-40 hours a week and dedicate the rest of my time to a Bootcamp I'd be perfectly happy.

gcubed

gcubed if you are going to live in that area you will not need to worry about ac. It's rather windy in that area and is really nice and cool during the sumertime. Getting to the caltrain from any of those cities is usually a breeze. But to drive to SV it all depends on how temperamental 101 is. If the company your working for is large enough you might be able to use bauers or get a discounted caltrain pass.

So I'm going to SF monday night for the Gamestop Bioshock Infinite event. Its going to be held near Union Square. I'm looking for some good places to grub as I'll be in the city most of the day. I heard someone mention Super Duper Burgers was pretty good?

thanks, hell, it looks like the normal pass is cheaper then i pay in Philly for a discounted city only monthly pass. Going from a single family home to an apartment again is going to be a shock, but at least i dont need to do yard work.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Hey guys. Moving out there in July/August. Will be working in Sunnyvale but want to live closer to SF (at least in between). We have friends in Foster City, how is traffic from Foster City, Redwood City/Shores area down to Sunnyvale? My office is a bit over a mile from the caltrain stop in Sunnyvale and I wouldn't mind using the train all the time.

Really shitty on the 101. I commute about that same distance/route but in the opposite direction, and it always looks dreadful on the other side of the highway. If you're taking Caltrain though you'd be fine.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Hey guys, I'm in town this week for GDC. What cool stuff must I absolutely do while I'm here. I just had a Super Duper burger, that was great.

Foodwise in the GDC area, I'd suggest hitting up http://offthegridsf.com/, there's one near Moscone on 5th and Minna over lunch on Wednesday and Friday. You can also hit up some food trucks in SOMA at the http://somastreatfoodpark.com/. My favorites are Curry Up Now and Senor Sisig. Near Moscone a bit into the 'lion are some pretty good Pho places, Tin (Howard and 5th) or Miss Saigon (get the Pho w/ Filet Mignon). You can get pretty good sandwiches at the Sentinel near Market and New Montgomery. Go to the Mission and get a burrito at El Farolito or Taqueria Cancun. I work right across the Moscone center, so I'll see y'all hanging out and maybe try and sneak in with a friends badge.

AcridMeat

Banned
butzo I should be in that area Wednesday if you wanna grab lunch. In Larkspur we have Off The Grid on Sundays, the food trucks that are a part of it are pretty good. I wouldn't mind getting Pho though.

Have fun Acid boyo. Gonna be at the Warriors game tonight, might go to that noodle place I mentioned to you in Berkeley beforehand.

Pretty much any weekend I'm down too.

I'm kind of bummed that I've moved to the West Coast and still haven't participated in a GAF meetup (I live in LA too)

so there's a huge new beer garden opening up in downtown Mountain View this weekend called Stein Beer Garden. Sounds like a good place to be, but opening weekend will be crazy. Plus they also have pork belly there.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Oh yea, I've been there around when they first opened. They only had maybe 5 beers or so and no patio back then, so I never really viewed it as a "beer garden". I'll have to check it out again.

They've got a lot more beers (and ciders and wine now, I guess), and the patio is nice. I like to go there for drinks on the weekend cause all the other bars in MV are just loud clubs basically.

Trevelyan

Banned
so there's a huge new beer garden opening up in downtown Mountain View this weekend called Stein Beer Garden. Sounds like a good place to be, but opening weekend will be crazy. Plus they also have pork belly there.

I would definitely be down for this. I work just down El Camino from there.

We need to stop talking about a meet up and just make it happen. We got interest, we just need to pick a day and place and make it real! I know this weekend is Easter, not like it maters to me but some of you might have family and stuff. So maybe we should plan for the weekend of 6/7 in April. Now someone come up with a place and let's get this thing going!

By the way I tried out Super Dooper Burger yesterday.... JESUS that was damn good. So good in fact I went to see where I could invest my money into opening up one here in the south bay. Sadly it's a private company so it's gonna take a long time for it to get out of SF.

AcridMeat

Banned
Sounds great, I don't really know the best spot for a bigger group of people to eat, so if anyone has a suggestion for a bar/grill go for it.

Also if anyone wants to grab a bite or chat tomorrow at GDC I'd be happy to, pm me.

I'd be good for Sat. afternoon/night for sure. Friday would be a bit harder for me since I have to get up early on Sat morning for eye exam and work in SJ.

robox

looks like the fri vs sat crowd is split.
somebody should just man up and set something up already. not too many days left.
not me though

AcridMeat

Banned
I'm doing something Friday. I'll be at the Mascone center until around 6. Come at me bro.

I say we meet at the Mel's around the corner or something and then find some food. Like I said before I don't know the good restaurant/bars, but if Acid makes it out there around 5:30/6 it'll be a party.
Just like that St. Patrick's Day. :')

I'm doing something Friday. I'll be at the Mascone center until around 6. Come at me bro.

I say we meet at the Mel's around the corner or something and then find some food. Like I said before I don't know the good restaurant/bars, but if Acid makes it out there around 5:30/6 it'll be a party.
Just like that St. Patrick's Day. :')

You gonna play drunken pool like last time in Berkeley? :p

I'm good for a meet-up at 6pm.

If 6PM is the start time I might be able to go for a bit. But I won't get there until around 7:30 at the earliest since I'd be driving from SJ to Dublin, then Bart from Dublin to SF. And Friday traffic on the 880/680 = bullshit.

Also, I'd rather castrate a goat and then eat its testies than drive into SF on a Friday night from SJ...

Top Bottom