• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hip hop was better in the 90s.

Neith

Banned
10 years from now someone is gonna say Hip Hop was better in the 2000s. It's all meaningless.

I don't ever hear anyone say that fwiw. I doubt it will happen. It will be probably the same argument but with the age now or the 90s still. The 2000s was almost all groups that had started in the 90s doing low key stuff, dying, or failing. A couple of the start ups were happening as well, but I would never say hip-hop was great in the 2000s. IDK I am sure to some people it was...

Compbros

All eras of rap have tremendous artists and efforts and low grade artists with subpar efforts. The difference is the popularity in the mainstream and how time allows us to cherry pick the good from the bad. I equate it to the attitude Era of wrestling compared to today where everyone says modern is trash and that Era was the greatest but it follows many of the same beats and is, at times, noticeably worse.

I can list 10 fantastic albums from the 10s, 00s, 90s, 80s, and I can also list 10 completely trash albums from all those Eras. It's just easier to find the trash nowadays because that's what's popular.

phanphare

Banned
seriously though, this is like people arguing that games in the 90's were better than they are now

sure, you can make top 10 lists that look mighty because of both quality and nostalgia but in both cases the current landscape is great it's just that a lot of the quality content is coming from places that it wasn't before. the independent artists in both areas have been ballooning. is it hard to hone in on some stuff on steam and bandcamp? yeah, sure. but there is so much quality shit out there to be discovered and typically people are pretty good about circling around the stuff they find that's quality.

Ovid

The 2000s were a real dark time for hip hop, and the 90s were mostly gangster and only some of the beats really hold up

Now is best but there "aren't as many classics" because that's not how anything works anymore

How can now be the best if there aren't any classics? By you saying that this is "not how anything works anymore" you're telling me everything is disposable.

Am I right?

10 years from now someone is gonna say Hip Hop was better in the 2000s. It's all meaningless.

Maybe 2000's kids, so what in 2025-2030?

Compbros

I don't ever hear anyone say that fwiw. I doubt it will happen. It will be probably the same argument but with the age now or the 90s still. The 2000s was almost all groups that had started in the 90s doing low key stuff, dying, or failing. A couple of the start ups were happening as well, but I would never say hip-hop was great in the 2000s. IDK I am sure to some people it was...

Hip hop was absolutely great in the 2000s, especially early on. You talk about no start ups but who cares when an artist or group started as long as they make great music. Jay-z has an album of the year contender, I don't care that he started in the 90s. In 3 years it will be among my favorite/best rap albums of the 2010s.

Stankonia is still one of the greatest rap albums I've heard, purple haze is still on of my top 5 favorite rap albums of all time, Ludacris put out back to back incredible efforts, Common had one of his best albums ever, Wayne rose to prominence and came into his own, mixtapes were the greatest they ever were in history, Kanye got his start, so on. 2000s were amazing for hip hop.

Yes, the 90s were clearly the best for hip-hop. The diversity, the volume of artists and styles from coast to coast, groups still being cool to be in, beats that still sound great today. The sheer volume of classic albums is crazy.

Talent feels concentrated among just a handful of artists now.

2000s gave us El-P, Mr. Lif, Cannibal Ox, Aesop Rock, Kanye, 50 Cent, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Immortal Technique, Jay-Z and Eminem reaching the height of their careers, etc. This was not a bad era when you really look back.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Luckily some 90's legends are still around and making music - but it may have slipped under your radar. Ghostface has steadily been putting out stellar albums the past few years. 12 Reasons to die, 36 seaons, and sour soul have all been very good. Raekwon actually just had a new album called The Wild and it's excellent. Tribe had their spectacular come back album last year. Redman even had a pretty good album a year or two ago if you ever liked him. There are also a bunch of rappers that don't do the mumble stuff making decent music. Joey Bada$$'s album from 2015 had a great old school gritty sound and an east coast jazzy vibe going through it. YG's Still Brazy is a pretty extravagant throw back to the old West Coast gangsta funk sound from the early 90's and it has excellent production. There's great stuff out there beyond the mainstream mumble that's currently in vogue.

Davidion

I'm not some huge hip hop head, but there's a ton of good stuff out there.

Ivy Sole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVMzeSNORrQ

Jonwayne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4F21FUL1b8

Greyhat vs J'Von
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNdk72O8lW4

GTA vs Vince Staples
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkxEKumTj08

Raekwon
https://soundcloud.com/iceh2orecords/raekwon-this-is-what-it-comes-too

This is just shit I casually brushed up against through my everyweek spotify recs and the occasional. Nevermind the Kendricks and the Gambinos and the Drakes and the whatevers.

Yeah yeah you think this one spits weak bars or this one is just wanking about bands and bitches and hoes or whatever, but as a guy who hits a bunch of different genres, hip hop is one where lots of the old and the new are actually co-existing pretty well. The radio fodder is ALWAYS going to be the radio fodder. Right now you got the cheese, the socially conscious, the old school, the new school, the spitting, the mumbling. What are you really missing?

So..."things were better back then". Eh... The mantra holds from the 2000's til now: there's good shit everywhere. Just go fucking look.

Chunky

I think the landscape has obviously shifted dramatically but I don’t find today’s hip-hop any less ‘entertaining’ than older eras. It’s just...different.

It was definitely more real back then, though. Lots more manufacturered artists these days creating a lot of copy-a-hit songs that aren’t original. There are a lot of artists that are still keeping shit fresh regardless. Just have to reach below the surface (radio pop shit).

GAF hates him but Kendrick
Ab-Soul
Isaiah Rashad
ScHoolboy Q
Denzel Curry
Freddie Gibbs
Childish Gambino
T.I. somehow is still doing his thing
Smoke DZA
Chance The Rapper
Kanye
Joey Bada$$
Vince Staples
Run The Jewels
Danny Brown
Lute
This is a dope list
Chuck J Cole on there too

Dynomutt

Gave us one of the greatest Hip-Hop Albums of all time.

Midnight Marauders is the business.

Went to Carvel to get a milk shake
This honey ripped me off for all my loot cakes
The car oh yeah there's money in my jacket
Somebody broke into my ride and cold macked it
Yo Tip I tell you man the devil's tryin it
But I'm goin to stay strong cause I ain't buyin it
Tonight I'm taking Sherry out, I don't have jack to wear
You know I gots to look dipped in the fresh new gear
Cool I found something so I ironed it
I then got caught up on the phone, oh shit, I'm frying it
Will someone tell me what did I do to deserve this?
I think I'll, pull out my suit for Sunday service
My little brother wants Barney, cool, I'm gettin it
Took him down to Kay-Bee, they ain't sellin it
Here we go with the crying, yo he's throwing fits
My blood pressure's blowing up, I can't take the shit
Finally got what he wanted, now he's good to go
Again the ride was smashed, where's my radio?
One time, the car was in the shop I had to borrow see
They had no mercy on the car, Lyor will kill me
Where the hell can Nicki be? I'm gonna smack her up
I got the tickets for the Knicks and she cold stood me up
I need to hit a honey off, Jarobi pass the phone
Pulled out my book of hoes, oh yo, Sheila's home
Steady smiling like a mother yo I'm read' to bone
Went down on hon, she's in the red zone
Stressed out more than anyone could ever be
Forever tryin to clear the samples for my new LP
Everybody knows I go to Georgia often
Got on the flight and I ended up in Boston
With all these trials and tribulations, yo, I've been affected
And to top it off, Starks got ejected

Problems, problems, problems, woe is me I'm having
Problems, problems, problems

Just last week my girl was stressin me
Now her best friend be undressing me
Well I was loving her by the moon ray
Now I'm tricking on her like Kinte' (c'mon)
Bought a bag of izm from the smoke shop
Walking towards the car, here come the damn cops
Now I'm station bound for the Thai sticks
I bought it for my man, I don't believe this shit
Coach sat me down from the ball team
Cause I was breaking niggas on the inseams
Some niggas cross town was trying to stick me
All I had was shorts, a dollar fifty
Picked up this girl in the hooptie
Just because I rhyme she tried to soup me
Pay for this, pay for that, loot for nails and hair
Who the hell you think I am, Mr. Belvedere?
Go and get a bloody job, then can we look cute
Even if you give me boots, you'll never see my loot
She wasn't even all of that just another hooker
So I turned that ass away, quick like Chuckii Booker
Sometimes you got put the hoes in their friggin' place
Just move from in front me with your botty face!

Problems, problems, problems, Lord knows I'm havin
Problems, problems, problems, Jesus Christ I'm havin
Problems, problems, problems, pray for me I'm havin
Problems, problems, problems

Yeah
Just lay down your burdens by the riverside
Hah, and you'll be alright, knowhatI'msayin?
Love and peace from Phife for '93, knahmsayin?
Tribe Called Quest, Shaheed and Tip
This is how we flip

My man Muhammad in the house, huh (come on, come on)
Zulu Nation in the house, huh (come on, come on)
Subroc is in the house, huh (come on, come on)
My man Skeff is in the house, huh (come on, come on)
Jarobi White is in the house, huh (come on, come on)
Bob Power in the house, huh (come on, come on)
My man Eric in the house, huh (come on, come on)
My man Litro in the house, huh (come on, come on)

Help me out y'all, help me out now
Help me out God, I really need ya
Help me out now, I really need ya
I'm having problems, help me out now
Really need ya, to help me out now
Help me out God, I really need ya
Havin problems, help me out now...

Not gonna detract or hate as it is said rap is a young man's sport it is for the youth. But I just can't identify with it which make it difficult to listen to much it and by extension support it financially. But it'll be fine it always is.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
All eras each have there highs and lows. They are all even in my books, just depends how I'm feeling

Early nineties is pretty hard to beat, late 90's is a bit dead. Same with the late 2000's.

Dynomutt

All eras each have there highs and lows. They are all even in my books, just depends how I'm feeling

Early nineties is pretty hard to beat, late 90's is a bit dead. Same with the late 2000's.

Which is why they will be talking about the nineties from 93' till Infinity. Good music is timeless.

Ovid

I'm not some huge hip hop head, but there's a ton of good stuff out there.

Ivy Sole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVMzeSNORrQ

Jonwayne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4F21FUL1b8

Greyhat vs J'Von
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNdk72O8lW4

GTA vs Vince Staples
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkxEKumTj08

Raekwon
https://soundcloud.com/iceh2orecords/raekwon-this-is-what-it-comes-too

This is just shit I casually brushed up against through my everyweek spotify recs and the occasional. Nevermind the Kendricks and the Gambinos and the Drakes and the whatevers.

Yeah yeah you think this one spits weak bars or this one is just wanking about bands and bitches and hoes or whatever, but as a guy who hits a bunch of different genres, hip hop is one where lots of the old and the new are actually co-existing pretty well. The radio fodder is ALWAYS going to be the radio fodder. Right now you got the cheese, the socially conscious, the old school, the new school, the spitting, the mumbling. What are you really missing?

So..."things were better back then". Eh... The mantra holds from the 2000's til now: there's good shit everywhere. Just go fucking look.
I hate the fact that I have to search for this stuff now. That's why I say the 90's was better because the popular stuff that was played on the radio or BET was actually good and eventually became classics.

To me, most of the popular stuff now is not good.

Dynomutt

I hate the fact that I have to search for this stuff now. That's why I say the 90's was better because the popular stuff that was played on the radio or BET was actually good and eventually became classics.

BET was better in the 90's. The Basement was great until it became watered down crap poo poo doo doo.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
How can now be the best if there aren't any classics? By you saying that this is "not how anything works anymore" you're telling me everything is disposable.

Am I right?

Maybe 2000's kids, so what in 2025-2030?

plenty of classics in this era, not that you can call a recent album "classic"

Kendrick is one dope rapper in a world of basic bars. I blame Jay-Z for the state of lyrics today. Just because he doesn't write lyrics doesn't mean the rest of these 9th round draft pick emcees don't have to write either. "Craft your craft". I can't believe how proud some of these dudes are.

"I dont write".

Well, yeah motherfucka I can tell. I wouldn't claim to write either with these pedestrian ass lyrics and delivery.

Ok looks like the sun is coming out, I'm done yelling at the clouds.

Yeah. Easy to be the top dog when everyone is sub par.

This to me is the biggest difference.

99% of hiphop I came across in the 90s was either actively great or so bad it was hilarious.

Now? You have to wade through thousands of mediocre but perfectly fine albums to get to the good stuff. I just don't care enough about music to put the work in.

This is also true and a bit contradictory based on what I said above. There are some gems out there definitely. You just have to wade through the trash.

You can say that for most genres. Idk why you have to single out Hip Hop. In fact, your argument is mostly, "Radio was better in the 90s" which most will agree with you on that. The internet and streaming has made radio and what is popular redundant. Any small rapper can be big today.

Davidion

We have so many options for discovery now. A side effect of the technology filter bubble is that it's actually easy to play it to give you better recommendations; just seed it by listening to some good stuff on the youtubes and spotifys of the world, and the algorithms will start chucking anything and everything similar at you.

Like I said, radio fodder is going to be radio fodder. And tbh, at that point the argument just dilutes to "radio was better in the 90's".

My answer to that is...what's radio? :x

In fact, your argument is mostly, "Radio was better in the 90s" which most will agree with you on that.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyy

We have so many options for discovery now. A side effect of the technology filter bubble is that it's actually easy to play it to give you better recommendations; just seed it by listening to some good stuff on the youtubes and spotifys of the world, and the algorithms will start chucking anything and everything similar at you.

Like I said, radio fodder is going to be radio fodder. And tbh, at that point the argument just dilutes to "radio was better in the 90's".

My answer to that is...what's radio? :x

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyy

Radio in LA was dope in the 90s. 92.3 the beat had Theo in the afternoon and power 106 had the baka boys in the morning.

Davidion

Radio in LA was dope in the 90s. 92.3 the beat had Theo in the afternoon and power 106 had the baka boys in the morning.

That's hot. But it sure wasn't like that everywhere in the world.

Hip hop's pretty global now. Scope and context of the comparison's gotta change.

Only guys I really like today are Kendrick, Kanye, Freddie Gibbs, and Run the Jewels. Everyone else is eh.

Plus the 90s had 2pac and Biggie (on top of all the other legends and other great rappers).

Molly, syrup, higher concentrated weed has burned out the brains of modern rappers.
Every generation of rappers do drugs and drink. Nowadays some young rappers like Tyler are trying to promote the Straight Edge lifestyle. But to say 90s rappers weren't smoking and drinking as much as today's is wrong.

Gave us one of the greatest Hip-Hop Albums of all time.

Midnight Marauders is the business.

Not gonna detract or hate as it is said rap is a young man's sport it is for the youth. But I just can't identify with it which make it difficult to listen to much it and by extension support it financially. But it'll be fine it always is.

You know, I used to think the Low End Theory was better than Midnight Marauders but after a couple of listens recently my opinion may have slightly changed.

Speaking about ATCQ, I really want to make an in-depth lttp/rttp about their albums now.

SKINNER!

Banned
I tried listening to some old DMX recently and I just can't do it. It's shocking how much homophobic bullshit went right over my head as a kid.

Yeah old dmx hasn't aged well.

Plenty of good hiphop out there today. Just gotta swim through the crap.

Aselith

Go jerk off to Saoirse Ronan some more and get out of this thread seeing as you have nothing to add.

I like how you tell people not to get offended then start lobbing personal attacks because someone called you on it. Don't get offended, he was just saying there are good titles you could have used!

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Best from the 00s? Eminem.... 50 Cent for a little bit. Jeezy. Dipset. That's about it.

Kanye. T.I, Lupe, Outkast, J Dilla, Lil Wayne, The Game, Clipse, Common, Talib Kweli, Blu, MF Doom

2000 in terms of albums and even new artists is way better then people want to admit.

psyfi

Banned
I'm 33 years old and grew up adoring 90s hip hop, but no. Rap now and rap then were both amazing. R&B is better now than it has been in almost twenty years, too.

Kelsdesu

Yes. Yes it was, but there are some good examples out there... I think.

I personally find myself listening to the likes of Kaytranada, Pomo and Tom Mitsch to get my fix of that "old feeling".

Dynomutt

You know, I used to think the Low End Theory was better than Midnight Marauders but after a couple of listens recently my opinion may have slightly changed.

Speaking about ATCQ, I really want to make an in-depth lttp/rttp about their albums now.

Don't get me wrong Low End is a great album and is quite inspired and was well received at the time. Looking back through Midnight Marauders is such a complete album. From beginning to end it's like eating a extremely satisfying meal. My favorites rap album hands down. ATCQ discography is the collection I want to be buried with.

It's quite surprising how relevant (to this day) and what's the word being used these days "woke' they're albums/songs are.

For example:

"Sucka Nigga"

"hey sucka nigga, whoever you are" [x2]
"hey sucka nigga, hey sucka nigga
whoever you are, whoever you are"

[Q-Tip]
Aiyyo, turn it up Muhammad
Turn everything up in the headphones
so I don't lose my vocals
Yeah that's good, turn my vocals a little bit
with the upper bassline

I be hatin sucka MC's, and the sucka niggas
Posing like they hard when we know they damn card
what you figure, rhyme-wise, I do the figure eight
So concisely, musically we are the herb so sit back
and light me, inhale *inhalation noise*
My style is kinda fat reminescent of a whale
Young girls desires for the females dreams
I be the Abstract Poetic representin from Queens
Socially I'm not a name, black and white got game
If you came to the jam, well I'm glad you came
See, nigga first was used back in the Deep South
Fallin out between the dome of the white man's mouth
It means that we will never grow, you know the word dummy
Other niggas in the community think it's crummy
But I don't, neither does the youth cause we
em-brace adversity it goes right with the race
And being that we use it as a term of endearment
Niggas start to bug to the dome is where the fear went
Now the little shorties say it all of the time
And a whole bunch of niggas throw the word in they rhyme
Yo I start to flinch, as I try not to say it
But my lips is like the oowop as I start to spray it
My lips is like a oowop as I start to spray it
My lips is like a oowop as I start to spray the

Sucka nigga, nigga nigga
I throw the sucka in the front for the ones that front
The sucka niggas, nigga nigga
It's the neo-nigga of the nineties, c'mon

I be hatin sucka MC's, and the sucka niggas
Posin like they hard when we know they damn card
what you figure, rhyme-wise, I do the figure eight
So concisely, musically we are the herb so sit back
and light me *inhalation noise* inhale *echoes*
My style is kinda fat reminescent of a whale
Young girls desires for the females dreams
I be the Abstract Poetic representin from Queens
Socially I'm not a name, black and white got game
If you came to the jam well I'm glad you came
See, nigga first was used down in the Deep South
Fallin out between the dome of the white man's mouth
It means that we will never grow, you know the word dummy
Other niggas in the community think it's crummy
But I don't, neither does the youth cause we
em-brace adversity it goes right with the race
Yo I start to flinch, as I try not to say it
But my lips is like the oowop as I start to spray it
My lips is like a oowop as I start to spray it
My lips is like a oowop, yo you know the rest

The sucka niggas, niggas niggas

I throw the suckas in the front for the ones that front
Sucka niggas, nigga nigga
Aiyyo Shaheed, take us the fuck outta here...

Kanye. T.I, Lupe, Outkast, J Dilla, Lil Wayne, The Game, Clipse, Common, Talib Kweli, Blu, MF Doom

2000 in terms of albums and even new artists is way better then people want to admit.

Hov dropped The Blueprint, The Black Album and American Gangster as well. Cam’ron and Dipset had a couple great ones as well.

Add Kendrick’s discography and post 90s Hip Hop actually looks pretty good.

Top Bottom