• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

Whichever version is least popular for me to give me a better chance. I think 64 will be ok for me but maybe 256 will have better resale value?

I also wonder which colour people will be more likely to go for first. I am really not too fussed with needing other colour.

KevinG

Literally whatever X I can get picked up in store (or at all), either color, either memory capacity.

Broaden my chances.

Zaph

What should I do to have the best chances of a launch day X? Download the Apple Store iOS app and just keep relaunching it on the 27th? Anything else?

Maybe the UK just gets a better supply (proportionally), but I've never had a problem getting Apple products on launch day. I usually order it through my network or apple.com and its there day 1 - so I'm new to the struggle.

Two Words

What should I do to have the best chances of a launch day X? Download the Apple Store iOS app and just keep relaunching it on the 27th? Anything else?

Maybe the UK just gets a better supply (proportionally), but I've never had a problem getting Apple products on launch day. I usually order it through my network or apple.com and its there day 1 - so I'm new to the struggle.
Take a visit to Cupertino at that time so your packet round trip time is reduced. Milliseconds matter.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It'll have an absolute higher resale value but not a better value. It'll be harder to sell and won't get back that $150 difference on the market

Will stick with 64GB then. Have both colours favourited but still not sure. Might try to nab both for collection and decide when I get to the store. Either returning or selling the spare on at cost (because I’m an idiot)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
They actually should randomize the anodization process so every phone is slightly different.

I forget can you preorder tmobile iPhone from Apple online store? I know you can't do installment plans there.

Yep, if you order an unlocked phone through the apple store it's a tmobile sim card iirc. You'll see the tmobile marking if you buy any of the current phones unlocked.

I forget can you preorder tmobile iPhone from Apple online store? I know you can't do installment plans there.

Yep, if you order an unlocked phone through the apple store it's a tmobile sim card iirc. You'll see the tmobile marking if you buy any of the current phones unlocked.

Keeping in mind that the T-Mobile phone, even fully paid off, will never work on CDMA networks like Verizon or Sprint

Majine

Banned
Ikea has some new clever marketing to piggyback off of the Qi wireless charging in the new iPhones.

download__3_.jpeg

download__1_.jpeg

download.0.jpeg

DOWN

Banned
Ikea has some new clever marketing to piggyback off of the Qi wireless charging of the new iPhones.

download__3_.jpeg

download__1_.jpeg

download.0.jpeg
*FYI the IKEA Qi pads are still 5W. Qi standards have increased since, so you need at least 7.5W charging pads to charge iPhone at full wireless speed. And you’re encouraged to up that to 15W+ if you plan on upgrading in the next year or two, as Qi Fast Charging is has faster options than 7.5W speed already

Natiko

Banned
https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/iphone-offer-faq?icid=WMD_TM_Q317APPLEP_M9BDWYHH1CE10111

It was initially for the 8, but they updated the FAQ to say they'll do it for the X. If you have a 6 or newer, and do the 24-month installment plan, you'll get $300 of credit that's paid back in your monthly installment, about $12.50 per month.
Hmm, dunno if that’s a good deal or not for me. Might be better off waiting an additional year so my phone will be older and I’ll be getting a better return versus it’s actual value.

Kyoufu

Yeah, OIS is pretty important. Don't want shit to look like I'm making the next Bourne or Blair Witch movie.

Really helps with images too.

Kinda souring me on getting the X just for the camera, gonna think it over when it's actually out.

X's camera is better than the 8's since it has dual OIS.

Yeah, OIS is pretty important. Don't want shit to look like I'm making the next Bourne or Blair Witch movie.

Really helps with images too.

Kinda souring me on getting the X just for the camera, gonna think it over when it's actually out.

Why would that sour you on the X? It has OIS on both cameras.

What is OIS?

Problem with the X is many. But owning such an expensive phone is just going to increase your anxiety and make you a target for thieves and criminals.

Imagine the psychological damage you'd have to deal with if you dropped it and it cracked. You'd be lying in bed for a week a completely broken person.

Kyoufu

What is OIS?

Problem with the X is many. But owning such an expensive phone is just going to increase your anxiety and make you a target for thieves and criminals.

Imagine the psychological damage you'd have to deal with if you dropped it and it cracked. You'd be lying in bed for a week a completely broken person.

lol

I'd just go to the Apple store and get it fixed.

What is OIS?

Man I’m a giant fanboy but damn

Snaku

Banned
What is OIS?

Dude, how do you live day to day with that kind of attitude?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Hmm, dunno if that’s a good deal or not for me. Might be better off waiting an additional year so my phone will be older and I’ll be getting a better return versus it’s actual value.
I have a 6, this is the best deal I can find. If I had a 7, I'd look elsewhere, but for someone still rocking a 6 it's an easy decision.

Animator

What is OIS?

That is what apple care is for?

Also if breaking a phone is going to have you bed ridden with a mental breakdown for a week MAYBE you don't need a iphone X and have more pressing matters in your life.

ZeroX03

Banned
What is OIS?

Thank God I have insurance and don't worry about a damn thing.

Polo67

What is OIS?

If you fill that way about a silly phone then you have no business owning it.

AndTAR

So in discussing the cameras - in the wake of the TechInsights teardown of the actual camera sensors having been published now, (the sensors being shared across all three iPhones, if I was not mistaken?) I thought it was interesting that despite these being called "larger sensors" on-stage, their actual surface areas remain unchanged. This rather massive 83% light-gathering improvement, should then purely stem from some other factor - perhaps the "deeper pixel wells" they mentioned?

.. It does sound little bit curious to me they say "larger sensors" and there is not actually any increase in surface area, I must admit - but of course, "larger" can also imply a depth increase, and not just surface area.

Back when sensor area was actually upgraded, they did make it very clear, of course - specifically outing it as "active sensor area" (back with the iPhone 5S, when they upgraded from 1/3.2" to 1/3".)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
*FYI the IKEA Qi pads are still 5W. Qi standards have increased since, so you need at least 7.5W charging pads to charge iPhone at full wireless speed. And you’re encouraged to up that to 15W+ if you plan on upgrading in the next year or two, as Qi Fast Charging is has faster options than 7.5W speed already

I'd actually buy that IKEA lamp if it was higher than 5W for wireless charging.

Are there any alternatives?

I think Iphone can’t actually use more than 5W at the moment. It has a 'fast charging' update coming in a future iOS version, but that looks like it is only to 7.5W. I hope I’m misunderstanding that and it upgrades to 15

What is OIS?

My bank offers phone insurance for me and my girlfriend for like, £10 a month. I’d be alright.

Jeffrey

Hope x launches with a more stable fw than ios 11. People seem to have all kinds of buggy behavior atm. Bad battery for old phones and many app reloads on iPhone 8+ according to everything Apple pro.

Henrar

Hope x launches with a more stable fw than ios 11. People seem to have all kinds of buggy behavior atm. Bad battery for old phones and many app reloads on iPhone 8+ according to everything Apple pro.
It will launch with iOS11.1 IIRC, so it will probably be more stable.

Kyoufu

I think Iphone can’t actually use more than 5W at the moment. It has a 'fast charging' update coming in a future iOS version, but that looks like it is only to 7.5W. I hope I’m misunderstanding that and it upgrades to 15

Well, that'd be lame and wouldn't push me towards a wireless charger.

DOWN

Banned

Well, that'd be lame and wouldn't push me towards a wireless charger.
Eh, that’s still common. 7.5W speed isn’t that old. Just get a charger that can do that speed (or the even newer faster 15W speed that’s just been rolling out to make your charger future proof for next year) or faster and it’ll be pretty amazingly convenient for night time or when you’re hanging out at home.

But I’ll also personally be getting a USB-C fast charger for home and for the car because that can charge the new iPhones damn fast in a pinch.

Top Bottom