• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best viewing order of DBZ movies alongside a full series (via Kai) watch?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Howdy
I've just finished the first "season" of the original Dragon Ball and I've got Kai waiting for me somewhere on the horizon. Some of the DBZ movies sound really fun, but I know they don't fit into the timeline of the show.
With that in mind, what's the optimal viewing order of the movies alongside a Kai run?

the movies dont fit at all, other than battle of gods and Resurrection of f

most of the other movies are impossible to fit into the timeline without massive plotholes

oneida

the movies dont fit at all, other than battle of gods and Resurrection of f

most of the other movies are impossible to fit into the timeline without massive plotholes
so, knowing that they don't fit into the timeline, is the best way to watch them just "as soon as all the characters from this movie are introduced in the show, you are good to watch that movie"? i don't want to save all the movies to the end, mostly because of dumb reasons regarding the changing art style.

Real Hero

just watch them whenever, don't try and force them. The two latest movies do take place after kai though

Your idea above is the best way to go, watch the movie with freeza's brother after you see the freeza arc etc.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The movies aren't canon and it's nearly impossible to fit them into timeline. That said, each movie does essentially require certain events in the show to "happen" for the movie to make any sense.

Dead Zone - Before DBZ
World's Strongest & Tree of Might - Anytime during the Saiyan Saga
Lord Slug - Before or during Namek, before any fighting with Frieza
Cooler's Revenge - After Namek/Frieza
Return of Cooler - After Cooler's Revenge
Super Android 13 - During Android Saga, before Cell (I think you need to see Androids 17 and 18 first)
Broly - Before Cell Games
Bojack - After Cell Games
Broly Second Coming - During Saiyaman
Bio-Bioly - After Broly 2
Fusion Reborn - After Gotenks
Wrath of the Dragon - After Buu
Battle of Gods & Resurrection F- Actually canon, you can watch after DBZ ends. But you can see these plotlines in DB Super as well.

jph139

In a vague, general sense:

Movies 1-3 = During Saiyan Arc
Movies 4-6 = After Freeza Arc
Movies 7-8 = After Android Arc
Movies 9-11 = After Cell Arc
Movies 12-13 = After Buu Arc

As stated they don't really line up with the series or make any sense canonically, but those give you a ballpark based on character ages and such.

oneida

The movies aren't canon and it's nearly impossible to fit them into timeline. That said, each movie does essentially require certain events in the show to "happen" for the movie to make any sense.

Dead Zone - Before DBZ
Lord Slug - Before or during Namek
Super Android 13 - During Android Saga, before Cell
Battle of Gods - Actually canon, you can watch after DBZ ends

In a vague, general sense:

Movies 1-3 = During Saiyan Arc
Movies 4-6 = After Freeza Arc
Movies 7-8 = After Android Arc
Movies 9-11 = After Cell Arc
Movies 12-13 = After Buu Arc

As stated they don't really line up with the series or make any sense canonically, but those give you a ballpark based on character ages and such.
thanks guys, i will use these as guides. i imagine then that at this point i can watch the blood rubies movie? I've basically just begun the red ribbon army arc.

ZealousD

thanks guys, i will use these as guides. i imagine then that at this point i can watch the blood rubies movie? I've basically just begun the red ribbon army arc.

Blood Ruby is just a retelling/remix of the first arc of Dragon Ball. You could easily watch it now if you wanted.

Eylos

Banned
1st movie - before z
2nd movie - after vegeta
3rd movie - after vegeta
4th movie - after vegeta
5ft movie - after Freeza
6th movie - after 5th movie
7th movie - somewhere between Androids appearance and Cell
8th movie - after when Cell announces the tournament, in that break
9th movie - Just after end of Cell
10th movie - before the Budokai in the Buu arc
11th movie - before the Budokai in the Buu arc
12/13/14/15th movie - after Buu arc

jph139

The first movie is fine any time after the Pilaf arc, the second one is fine any time after the first Budokai I think?

Honestly I forgot there are movies for the original Dragon Ball. Wonder how they hold up...

oneida

It's annoying that the movies are so poorly collected on Blu-ray (2-3 per release) and so well collected on DVD (4-5 per release).

ZealousD

Just watch BioBroly around after the time skip and you're set. Skip the rest.

OP, this person is intentionally giving you bad advice.

I was originally going to say that Bio-Broly was only safe viewing "after your life ends".

I can't believe there are three Broly movies.

They're the worst.

Just watch Dead Zone, World's Strongest (preferably the '97 Pioneer dub for those two because holy shit), and Fusion Reborn.
Cooler's Revenge and Super Android 18 are fun too.

Remember not to skip the Bardock or History Of Trunks specials either.

Garlic jr, bojack, and dragon fist/wrath of the dragon all fit in the timeline.

Bojack and dragon fist are really good, and garlic abridged is hilarious

Anteater

broly movies were fun, probably because i like goten and trunks

honestly only film i didn't like was that namekian one where goku turns into fake ssj

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Watch them all if you like DBZ.

Except wrath of dragon. People will tell you it's the best but it's absolutely dead.

And yeah bio broke better. Fight me

Bardock: The Father of Goku is more of a special than a movie right?

Yes, the Bardock and Trunks TV Specials are canon and fit into the TV series' timeline!

Dead Zone - Before DBZ
Super Android 13 - During Android Saga, before Cell (I think you need to see Androids 17 and 18 first)
Battle of Gods & Resurrection F- Actually canon, you can watch after DBZ ends. But you can see these plotlines in DB Super as well.

This. Battle of Gods and Resurrection F cover the first two arcs of Dragon Ball Super, OP, so if you want a more authentic Dragon Ball experience (drawn-out fights, filler, that sort of thing), then I'd recommend watching Super first.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
They're the worst.

Just watch Dead Zone, World's Strongest (preferably the '97 Pioneer dub for those two because holy shit), and Fusion Reborn.
Cooler's Revenge and Super Android 18 are fun too.

Remember not to skip the Bardock or History Of Trunks specials either.

History of Trunks is the GOAT.

Best DBZ movie/special by far imo.

But telling someone to skip over Broly movie 8 is doing them a huge disservice. There's some iconic DBZ moments in that movie.

Macka

Fusion Reborn kind of fits in after
Goku returns to Otherworld and Goten/Trunks master fusion
, but before they start fighting Super Buu.

It can't be after Buu because
Vegeta is still in HFIL when the events of the movie happen

oneida

i remember watching tree of might back when it aired on toonami and totally loving it. not sure if I've seen dead zone. definitely have seen none of the others and have only seen DBZ to the end of the Frieza arc.
super excited for Kai and I'm having a blast with the original DB.

Movie 1 takes place sometime between the start of DBZ and when Vegeta arrives on Earth.

2 3 and 4 take place between the Saiyan saga and Namek saga.

5 takes place after the Frieza Saga but before the Android saga.

6 takes place in the middle of the Android saga (before Androids 16-18 are awakened).

7 takes place after that but before the Cell saga.

8 takes place during the time right before the Cell games.

9 takes place after the Cell saga.

10 and 11 are sometime during the beginning of the Babidi saga

12 and 13 during the later half of the Buu Saga.

Don't know how much you know about the Dragonball franchise, so I kept it as vague as I could to not spoil you. Keep in mind they don't actually fit into the timeline anywhere, and this is all based on whether the characters have access to certain techniques/forms or not.

Dead Zone - Before DBZ

World's Strongest and Tree of Might - well, not anytime. Has to be after
Goku trains with King Kai since he has the Kaioken and Spirit Bomb.

Return of Cooler - I wouldn't watch it until after
Vegeta vs Android 19 since Vegeta goes Super Saiyan in this movie.

the cooler story can fit, and the last movie too, out of the original 13.

How does Cooler fit?
Goku is still in space during the time this movie takes place.

Top Bottom