• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony teasing The Order sneak peak at 1pm PT today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gameplay isn't anything special - looks very functional though -, but the atmosphere makes up for it.

Now give me some steampunk fantasy guns and monsters to kill and I'm sold.

StuBurns

Banned
Yep, "cinematic feel" be damned. They need to lose the bars, and I find it hard to believe folks would willingly accept them if they didn't have to.
What do you mean? People don't have to, you aren't forced to buy the game.

It didn't bother me in Beyond at all.

WinFonda

did you see how the camera was pulled out just far enough to show us the character's ass? wow what year is it 1999??

and the gun. it had a barrel. just like every other gun. based on victorian technology my nuts.

and why is ancient london so butt ugly with smoke stacks and smog. god fucking dammit

what shiiiiiiit.

release the demo already.

Boke1879

Gameplay isn't anything special - looks very functional though -, but the atmosphere makes up for it.

Now give me some steampunk fantasy guns and monsters to kill and I'm sold.

The female character (sorry I forget her name) was using what looked like some sort of electrical or laser weapon. Hope we see more of that.

Why is it that the more I see of this game, the less I want to play it? :-/

Either it's just another generic, boring shooter, or they don't know how to pick the exciting scenes for their previews.

OneLetter

Holy crap you guys have written a ton. Still going through all of the comments here.

Regardless of good, bad, or everything else comments, I'm just glad to see people talking about our game again. I know it's generic for me to say "stay tuned for more information in the future...", but it'll come, and will hopefully answer a lot of your outstanding questions.

Now all aboard the hype train to E3!

NateDrake

Visually it looks outstanding. Gameplay looks solid enough even if it doesn't look remarkable. Need to see more and let them polish and tune things up a bit. Plenty of time before it releases, so be calm everyone.

Sendou

You do understand that Sunset Overdrive is basically Ratchet and Clank with M rating slapped on it? It's hardly any higher than going for the low bar and it is a TPS as well. Oops?

It just looks fun to me? I haven't played Ratchet and Clank. It combines a lot of things to what looks like an enjoyable package. The Order 1886 looks like a piece of shit in a nice package to be honest. Exactly the kind of gaming experience I loathe.

Griss

I only just saw the footage now. Looked exactly (to a tee) like I was expecting it to. Not impressed at all. Never understood the hype for this game. TPS fans were really excited for a Victorian steampunky skin on their fav genre?

Just saw the video on Youtube. While compressed, the graphics looked amazing.

Slightly off-topic:
One thing I've been noticing with Sony and their new IPs this new gen: They seem to have taken a "show an incomplete build so as to impress even more when the final build is shown". Take DC for example, the E3/Gamescom footage was nothing special. Then we saw it progress and become better. I think this is what Sony's doing with The Order.

Sunset Overdrive looks like a game. The Order so far just seems like the only time you have full control of your character is when you're being led through smoke and mirrors toward the real experience, scripted events.

What does smoke and mirrors even mean? And I take it that only cartooney looking, open world games qualify as...games?
Keep the pearls coming!

dr_rus

So... 100-men strong Ready At Dawn is creating their first large game that will come out in the 1st year of nextgen in which they are trying to surpass cinematic action feel of Uncharted 2 [their words, not mine] by pitting 4 immortal Knights of the Round Table against ancient threat of supernatural werewolves who have manged to decimate humanity for more than 1000 years before modern science managed to reach Industrial Revolution which enabled humans to finally start fighting back. Using incredible visuals and glorious 4x MSAA, we will get to play through singleplayer-only, story and character focused game that will try to give us alternate history filled with horrors and suspense?

831680duu0b.gif

What you've wrote is better than anything that Sony has showed us since the E3 reveal. They are really bad at selling this game for some unknown reason. The game has a lot of promise and it's as far from being generic as a game can be - but they can't show this for reasons unknown.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm still not super sold on this but as I like RaD I'll be there at launch. Hopefully the delay rumors aren't true.

ironcreed

Banned
Upon second glance, I am not all that impressed with the shooting and the screen tearing is pretty bad, but it is of course still in development. Overall, I stand by it looking like a neat game with some really amazing visuals. However, it is not something that makes me want to run out and buy a PS4 at all.

batbeg

This.

One of the best ways to tell when someone has an agenda, is by watching their reaction when something undeniably good comes out.

This game is going to be a great game, but those crapping on it have an alternative agenda for the most part.

That video was undeniably good?

Kyoufu

I think people have every right to say it looks boring, because if you take a minute or two of cover shooting from most TPS games and present it to someone they'll probably tell you it's boring too.

I'm hoping RAD show the more interesting elements of the game, such as the melee combat, unique weapons, werewolves and more of the things they've talked about but nobody here has seen.

All eyes on E3.

Ashadian

Banned
You always get the same clowns typing the same generic crap! This is exactly like what happened with Drive Club. Early build of game is shown and the haterz are out in force. Then when the latest build is shown nearly everyone is praising it??? What gives??? This looks like an early build shown in poor quality. From 3 minutes the haterz have already judged the finished product!

btags

This.

One of the best ways to tell when someone has an agenda, is by watching their reaction when something undeniably good comes out.

This game is going to be a great game, but those crapping on it have an alternative agenda for the most part.

There certainly are people crapping on it because they are xbox fans, but I think saying that the majority of the criticism comes from those people is stretching the truth quite a bit. Regardless of your opinion of this game, and setting graphics aside, what they showed was nothing spectacular. For all I know the final game could be amazing, and I hope it is, but what they showed was a simple cover tps gameplay segment. Nothing in the gameplay, besides graphics and audio, should get anyone overly excited and make them proclaim that this is the greatest game ever or something. Wait until e3 when more of the game is shown to start calling people out for their criticism. As for now, people are right to be critical when basically nothing significant has been shown for the game.

Also, like or dislike of games is completely subjective, so you cannot have something that is undeniably good, no matter what game it is.

DieH@rd

Banned
That's a lot of words for just saying the graphics are good and that's why you are excited. I mean that's fine and all, but graphics aren't everything to everyone.

Read again. I actually talked very little about graphics. Graphics are great, but I am much more interested in other parts of the game.

Same is with Wolfenstein. Visuals are unimportant if the gameplay is decent and worldbuilding/charachters/atmosphere are great. Having strong stakes and tensions makes wonders. :)

did you see how the camera was pulled out just far enough to show us the character's ass? wow what year is it 1999??

and the gun. it had a barrel. just like every other gun. based on victorian technology my nuts.

and why is ancient london so butt ugly with smoke stacks and smog. god fucking dammit

what shiiiiiiit.

release the demo already.

This might be the best post I've read in this thread.

OryoN

I was really looking forward to see how this game turn out. Impressive graphics indeed, but I have to agree with some of the critics about the gameplay shown so far. It's pretty much 'the same ole'. I hope they really try harder to stray away from that tedious COD/BF combat formula. You know; hunker down, take out a few baddies from their hideouts, wait for more baddies to trickle out from somewhere, set-piece/QTE/cutscene, repeat.

I was hoping combat felt more like RE4, than those aforementioned games(whose campaign modes I absolutely dred). The part where the enemies came out, one by one, on the ledge - in the line of fire, waiting to be shot - looked really comical for all the realism RAD is striving for. Such instances are almost inevitable, but that clumsily stood out.

Visually, it's amazing how faithful it looks to the original reveal. Those particle effects(explosions) and character models were quite amazing. Voices have a nice degree of authenticity to them, and I hope the story/plot is good enough to take advantage of that. Curious to see how exploration element plays out.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I do understand the hate, its called "threatened fanboys" concern

There will be haters who dismiss the game for being on a console other than the one of their choice, but maybe some people actually dislike what they saw? A lot of the disinterest seems to come from Sony showing a short clip that may not be very representative of the final game anyway. That's how I feel at least.

Loris146

It just looks fun to me? I haven't played Ratchet and Clank. It combines a lot of things to what looks like an enjoyable package. The Order 1886 looks like a piece of shit in a nice package to be honest. Exactly the kind of gaming experience I loathe.

Piece of shit? Wow man.

Anyway i can't judge gameplay yet.

On Demand

Banned
You guys are happy with all these open world games? I like a little linearity and focus sometimes. Or is it the game play style that's bothering you?

I'm absolutely astonished that the black bar shit is still in the game at this point.

I refuse to believe that they will actually ship the game like that. It's just so ridiculous I can't take it.

Wouldn't be the first game to do so. Dragon's Dogma and Beyond Two Souls are recent examples of games that are presented in this style. It's to make it appear more cinematic, whilst at the same time it probably does give them some extra room to squeeze in nicer graphics/help performance.

The game will definitely ship like that. It's the style they're going for. And the image won't be stretched or anything like that so it's not like you'll be losing image quality.

bombshell

Holy crap you guys have written a ton. Still going through all of the comments here.

Regardless of good, bad, or everything else comments, I'm just glad to see people talking about our game again. I know it's generic for me to say "stay tuned for more information in the future...", but it'll come, and will hopefully answer a lot of your outstanding questions.

Now all aboard the hype train to E3!

You're from R@D? Prepare for some rough couple of pages of unjustified hyperbole in this thread.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
"we're in position"

"about time"

"move out"

"what took you so long?"

"engage at will"

"understood"

"on the first floor"

"there, on the roof"

"stay under cover"

"go"

"we have to help him"

"cover me"

"surpressing fire"

"all clear"

"they're bringing reenforcements"

"we're sitting ducks out here"

"here comes another"

"we're clear"

"that went well"

"find us a way out of here"

yawn.

Were you expecting a Shakespearean soliloquy during combat?

kinggroin

Banned
This.

You know this, objectively, based on 3 choppy generic minutes?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
People who say this is boring, they do know that this is probably on easy and by a non expert player, right?

Because it looked fine to me. Seriously, and we haven't even seen the exploratory segment, or more of the story.

People (even me) call TLOU one of the best games of last gen, and it didn't have amazing combat, but great pace and great story.

I understand why they're holding it back, but not showing off the monsters does make the game seem a little generic at this stage. It's a bit of a catch 22 unfortunately but either way I'm confident the game'll still be great.

Looks amazing definitely a game I am interested in. But the fact that at the end of the demo all they show is the website and no date ("Winter 2014") has me worried we have a delay coming. Hopefully I am wrong, this is one of the games I am most looking forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom