• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
A northeaster is coming at me....if I don't survive just remember one thing. Service your boyz from time to time!
giphy.gif

What if the Eagles still had Dion Lewis, Patrick Chung, and Eric Rowe?

Rowe would be a huge improvement over the trash they had at CB this year. Lewis could have helped as well at RB but they got rid of him a long time ago. The bigger mistake at RB wasnt trying to find a way to keep Murray rather then give him away for nothing. Eagles have good safeties so Chung doesnt matter at all.

Pepiope

Rowe would be a huge improvement over the trash they had at CB this year. Lewis could have helped as well at RB but they got rid of him a long time ago. The bigger mistake at RB wasnt trying to find a way to keep Murray rather then give him away for nothing. Eagles have good safeties so Chung doesnt matter at all.
Moving Murray helped us land our QB of the future though

Agree on Chung, to an extent, they just would have had the safety sooner than they do now. Definitely agree with Rowe. You were right about that one all along. The Murray thing is meh to me. He played like garbage last year, getting rid of him was fine IMO. They just didn't do a great job of replacing him with the same style of RB because they have Mathews. I expect Mathews to be gone though.

Agree on Chung, to an extent, they just would have had the safety sooner than they do now. Definitely agree with Rowe. You were right about that one all along. The Murray thing is meh to me. He played like garbage last year, getting rid of him was fine IMO. They just didn't do a great job of replacing him with the same style of RB because they have Mathews. I expect Mathews to be gone though.

The Murray one wouldnt be a problem if they had brought in a good replacement. Trusting Matthews and a rookie last year was just dumb though. Maybe Wentz wouldnt have broken the rookie record for passes if they had a decent back.

The Murray one wouldnt be a problem if they had brought in a good replacement. Trusting Matthews and a rookie last year was just dumb though. Maybe Wentz wouldnt have broken the rookie record for passes if they had a decent back.

I actually don't think the run game was that bad this year. Most of the times they abandoned the run were when they fell drastically far behind. In games that were close or they had a lead in they had a nice run/pass ratio.

Hindl

This is the best RB class possibly ever. They'll get a RB in the draft.

HOWIE ROSEMAN ACKNOWLEDGES ERIC ROWE TRADE MAY HAVE BEEN A MISTAKE:

It didn’t make sense then and it doesn’t make sense now.

And Howie Roseman finally admitted it.

He also acknowledged — though in a roundabout way — that the Eagles may have made a mistake by giving up on Eric Rowe so quickly.

When Roseman was asked earlier this month at a rare media availability about the team’s decision to trade the promising second-round cornerback to the Patriots just a year after drafting him, his answer was that the Eagles were concerned about being able to re-sign him when his contract expired.

Which is after the 2018 season.

“When we sat down and discussed the offer, we really started thinking about the likelihood that we had to sign him to an extension,” Roseman said back on Jan. 4.

“We want to build this team with some continuity. We felt at that time that we were not going to sign him to an extension and to be able to get that value for him and possibly add someone who would be here for a longer period of time made sense for where we were.
”

As we all know, Rowe became a key figure on the Patriots’ defense during the second half of this season and played well during the stretch run.

He played 60 of 69 defensive snaps in the Patriots' win over the Steelers in the AFC Championship Game Sunday and had an interception of Ben Roethlisberger and 37-yard return late in the game. He also had four tackles and two pass knockdowns, one in the end zone.

Rowe was just 23 when the Eagles traded him, and now cornerback is one of the team’s two biggest needs going into the offseason.

Roseman appeared on the 94 WIP Morning Show on Monday and brought up Rowe before he was even asked about him.

“You’ve got to give me a chance to correct my answer on Eric Rowe from that press conference because this is what happened,” Roseman said.

“Yesterday my 9-year-old son said, ‘Dad, I didn’t really understand your answer from that press conference.’

“When the 9-year-old boy doesn’t understand the answer it’s probably a problem. I said the reason you didn’t understand was because it wasn’t coherent. It didn’t make any freaking sense.”

Along with Patrick Chung, Dion Lewis and Danny Amendola, Rowe is one of four Eagles castoffs who will face the Falcons in Super Bowl 51 in Houston in two weeks.

So why did the Eagles trade Rowe?

“I think it’s good to just go back to the process,” Roseman said. “So it’s the first week of the season and we get this offer and it’s the Patriots and we’re not sitting there thinking, ‘We’re getting one over on Bill Belichick,’ maybe the best evaluator of defensive backs in the history of the NFL.

“What we were thinking about was where he was on our depth chart. At that time the starting three guys were Nolan (Carroll), Leodis (McKelvin), Ron Brooks. Jalen Mills at that point in camp had beat him out, so he was the fourth guy, and then when we spoke with our coaches, they said that Malcolm (Jenkins) would be the next guy in the slot. So for where we were and what his role was at the time, we thought it was pretty good value.

“For them to give up that kind of pick — a fourth that could be a third — we knew they had a role for him. We knew that there was going to be an opportunity, and we’ve got to do what we think is best for us.”

Roseman on Monday morning didn’t exactly admit the Eagles made a mistake by unloading Rowe at a point when the team was desperate for talented young cornerbacks.

But he came close.

“We probably make 50 decisions a year that are really real decisions that we sit down and make,” he said.

“To say that we don’t go back and think about them and think about whether they were right? That’s part of it, you know? You want to hit as many as you can, but when you’re watching games of other players that you’ve had here, that’s the hard part about doing it.”

At this point in the interview, Roseman jokingly asked WIP Morning Show host Angelo Cataldi for a beer and seemed to hint that being drunk may have helped him get through watching Rowe in the AFC Championship Game.

“That’s why Sundays ... that’s why you’ve got to watch some of these games like that,” he said. “It gives you an opportunity to reflect. At the same time, you’ve got to get guys who fit your scheme, that make sense for the Philadelphia Eagles, and I think that’s the most important thing.”

Roseman also addressed the notion that he got rid of Rowe because he was a Chip Kelly draft pick and he wanted to rid the roster of as many Kelly players as possible.

“That’s false,” he said. “We want good players. I don’t care where they came from. ...

“I think for us, when you get a guy like (Kelly draft pick) Jordan Hicks and the role he contributes for our football team and what kind of character he has, football character, personal character.

“As many good players as we can get on the Philadelphia Eagles — at the end of the day, we’re responsible for the team and they’re part of our team and it doesn’t matter where they came from.”

Asked about Kelly's getting fired by the 49ers a year after he was fired by the Eagles, Roseman said this: “Never like seeing people lose their jobs in the National Football League. It’s a tough business, no question about it. It’s a tough time of year.”

I hope Mr Lurie adds this to his notebook as a mistake for howie.

Hindl

Yeah, we're rebuilding. We don't need to force square pegs into round holes right now just to add one or two wins.

This is a crucial offseason though. A lot of team needs are aligning with the draft. If they play the draft and FA right then I expect a pretty big jump in the next year. If not it'll get ugly.

Also, due to Falcons making the SB, Kelce is going to the Pro Bowl in place of Alex Mack. Might increase his trade value a bit. If they could get a 4th for him that'd be pretty good

At least this shows Roseman knows he fucked up and basically admits it. I like that he's at least admitting fault, even if he's obtuse about it.

I actually agree with that. It seems Lurie talking so much about accountability last year he really resonated with him. He finally took the blame for the Marcus Smith pick last year, and now this. Next step is to get him to stop making bad moves that he needs to apologize for.

I actually agree with that. It seems Lurie talking so much about accountability last year he really resonated with him. He finally took the blame for the Marcus Smith pick last year, and now this. Next step is to get him to stop making bad moves that he needs to apologize for.

Agree. I think the clock got reset for Howie with this past season. If he does something disastrous this draft/season he's probably gone after the year. I think Howie has good things in him so we'll see how it goes. Another Danny Watkins, Marcus Smith, or Nelson Agholor will probably be the end of him, but conversely if he has another draft as good as this past he'll be here for a while.

Pepiope

This is a crucial offseason though. A lot of team needs are aligning with the draft. If they play the draft and FA right then I expect a pretty big jump in the next year. If not it'll get ugly.

Also, due to Falcons making the SB, Kelce is going to the Pro Bowl in place of Alex Mack. Might increase his trade value a bit. If they could get a 4th for him that'd be pretty good
Right. I'm saying he didn't force anything at RB last season because he knew this would be a good draft for them. Same goes for CBs. Now we're in a position to grab a talented guy who fits our scheme in a very strong class.

Mindlog

Greg Auman ‏@gregauman 4h4 hours ago

Greg Auman Retweeted Andrew Risher

Correct. NFC South is only division with all four teams in Super Bowl since 2002. NFC West is only other NFL division with even three teams.
Transitive doing it.

SEC! SEC! SEC!

Agree. I think the clock got reset for Howie with this past season. If he does something disastrous this draft/season he's probably gone after the year. I think Howie has good things in him so we'll see how it goes. Another Danny Watkins, Marcus Smith, or Nelson Agholor will probably be the end of him, but conversely if he has another draft as good as this past he'll be here for a while.

Man I hope you are right about this past draft, I dont see it at all yet. Wentz started out great but finished pretty meh. Smallwood was used sparingly and then got hurt. The OL guys filled in okay but didnt play much. Mills played a bunch but struggled. If Wentz turns out great obviously it will be a great draft but the jury is still out on that. I want to see him address obvious holes, like WR, and CB this year. No more shit like Randle and Givens being brought in to compete in camp and nothing else.

Man I hope you are right about this past draft, I dont see it at all yet. Wentz started out great but finished pretty meh. Smallwood was used sparingly and then got hurt. The OL guys filled in okay but didnt play much. Mills played a bunch but struggled. If Wentz turns out great obviously it will be a great draft but the jury is still out on that. I want to see him address obvious holes, like WR, and CB this year. No more shit like Randle and Givens being brought in to compete in camp and nothing else.

I'm not particularly worried about Wentz, and it doesn't seem like many analysts are either. I'm interested to see how Smallwood develops in his second year, but given the limited amount of snaps as he was 3rd on the depth chart I thought he actually did decent, especially for a 5th round pick. The Seumalo and Vaitai both looked good for rookies. Mills frankly looked great for a 7th rounder at one of the hardest positions to learn at the pro level. Mills definitely struggled, but given where they got him from in the draft? I'll take it.

Hindl

Yeah he got the job in 2010 but Reid was notorious for having a large say in the draft process. Then with Chip it was something similar where you were never sure who had full control. Now Howies been given full control, and full responsibility. Rowe aside (who isn't suddenly a top tier corner, he's good but inconsistent) last off-season went well. Bradham, McLeod and brooks were all great signings and the draft looks good after year 1. If he has a disaster this off-season he's gone but I think he'll do alright.

Right. I'm saying he didn't force anything at RB last season because he knew this would be a good draft for them. Same goes for CBs. Now we're in a position to grab a talented guy who fits our scheme in a very strong class.

Yeah and actually they said the same thing for QBs. They looked at the next couple drafts and decided Wentz was the best bet. Fact forward to this year and 2017 is looking like a pretty bad draft class, and we'll see what happens with 2018

any way we could make a separate offseason thread for the eagles?
You get eagles talk or animu

Line_HTX

There can be no doubt that quality of play dropped so hard across the league.

Stupid AFC and Pittsburgh. I thought they had a better defense.

Hindl

thanksgiving toasted: the pride of new england

wat next, u gonna shit talk papa ginos too!?!?

tc landos steak subs>>>>>>>>>
Feel the same. Solid, better than the big chains (Dominos, Papa Johns) but I'd rather get a hole in the wall pizza.

Also why do Boston people pump up Anna's Tacqueria? It's not that good and El Pelon is infinitely better

Tom Penny

Feel the same. Solid, better than the big chains (Dominos, Papa Johns) but I'd rather get a hole in the wall pizza.

Also why do Boston people pump up Anna's Tacqueria? It's not that good and El Pelon is infinitely better
Are those Mexican joints? Mexican food sucks.

Bread

Banned

Haven't had Anna's, but they put rice in burritos so I know it's no good.

I moved to San Diego to get the real mexican food!!!!!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Mexican food in New England lmao

When I was there on the south coast there was....Taco Bell. Literally nothing else there in North Dartmouth anyway back in 2002-2004.

Good season guys, glad it's over for everyone. Congrats to the [REDACTED] [REDACTEDS] on their SB victory! The fans really deserved that one.

On to the 2017 season!

f football

bionic77

Being in a state that isn't Ohio is a nice feeling
Supposedly with the power of the JoyConz even Ohio is not that bad.

This is the first time I was questioning one of Nintendo's claims as that is a tall ass order.

Hopefully one of the Ohio JoyConBoyz can confirm in March.

38 days and counting. We almost there boyz!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom