• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the 90's, there was a Jojo comic ripoff named Diesel (HULK PLATINUM SMASH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I reckon manga/anime and Jojo generals have covered this, but I figured it's so hilarious that it needs thread because just damn hilarious.

So apparently in the dark age of comics where everyone in the 90's were doing weird shit in American comics, there was a very short-lived comic called Diesel back then (unrelated to another Diesel comic), as apparently it only had 1 issue.

The catch? It basically ripped off Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3: Star Crusaders. Yes just like Nick Simmons ripped off Bleach (and from what I heard One Piece), this one had these gems.

323.jpg

That looked DIO, and the second one is pretty much the N'Doul fight.

I just can't stop laughing holy shit. Especially Azizi and Joseph.

Not sure if these are fine to post, but the comic is pretty much dead as only one issue is posted, and I feel like this should be shared.

You can see more in this archived /co/ thread.

joe2187

Banned
I couldnt tell what was happening in the last three panels, the blonde dude yells enemy stand after his head gets decapitated and then rockets off into the air.

(this actually sort of happens in JoJo anyway though)

Boss Doggie

Wait, is that a shop or did they really also use the name Stands too?!

Nope, it's what in the print says.

8af.png

I couldnt tell what was happening in the last three panels, the blonde dude yells enemy stand after his head gets decapitated and then rockets off into the air.

(this actually sort of happens in JoJo anyway though)

Blood became sentient, attacks guy, decapitates him, another guy says ENEMY STAND, and the decap guy's head is flying off.

The amazing thing is that you can tell that the dude just watched the one Jojo Part 3 OVA that began with the N'doul (blind hydrokinetic stand guy) fight.

Googling his name show's he still works in comic books albeit in a very limited scale

Boss Doggie

Alas, there was only ever the one issue. We will never know if Not-DIO managed to transcend his apparent boringness and become fabulous.

But that dog totally dies, so Diesel is truly a JoJo.

Iggy dies too early that he never faced the white rapper.

Nairume

Banned
The amazing thing is that you can tell that the dude just watched the one Jojo Part 3 OVA that began with the N'doul (blind hydrokinetic stand guy) fight.

Googling his name show's he still works in comic books albeit in a very limited scale
It's almost forgivable since the OVAs weren't out in the US and there was no way for him to tell that JoJo would have gotten out of Japan, but then he does the amazingly brazen thing of denying any similarities to existing works in the legal section.

It's almost forgivable since the OVAs weren't out in the US and there was no way for him to tell that JoJo would have gotten out of Japan, but then he does the amazingly brazen thing of denying any similarities to existing works in the legal section.

I was watching bootleg fansubs of the OVA way back when. It isn't inconceivable that he managed to see them too.

Boss Doggie

This site has a hilarious description of it

Antarctic Press strikes again with yet another anime–type, creator–owned title. Written, illustrated, and colored by Joe Weltjens, Diesel follows the imprint’s manga style, high–flying, no–holds barred action—an attitude that over the years has generated quite the loyal following.

Reminiscent of the Highlander films and television series, Diesel follows an enigmatic group of powerful characters known as “stand users.” Each has the ability to control a temporal projection unique to that individual—one that is used to battle other stand users to the death. A group of kindhearted users band together to seek out and destroy the mysterious aggressor that murdered their mentor. As the story progresses, it becomes obvious that only the most powerful of the group, Tom Diesel, has the fortitude necessary to reach the source of this evil and uncover its diabolical plan.

Nairume

Banned
I was watching bootleg fansubs of the OVA way back when. It isn't inconceivable that he managed to see them too.
I mean more in the sense of him probably thinking he could get away with it (though going as far as to reuse the name Stands was way too far) since it probably wouldn't have been as known, at least by the people actually managing to read his comic.

This site has a hilarious description of it
lol, they fuckin' knew

Frimaire

Haha, oh my god, they even call them stands and everything.
Couldn't they at least have come up with a different name?

magician's red is a robot

what the FUCK i'm laughing so hard i can't believe this

also holy shit, the blind guy literally is n'doul this is so blatant

2009 or so. Comic was called Incarnate. A quick Google image search of "Nick Simmons Incarnate" will get you all the comparisons. It's very blatant.

The absolute funniest thing about that was that Tite Kubo himself found out, and his statement was just, "The most shocking thing about this to me is that Gene Simmons's son is a manga artist."

The absolute funniest thing about that was that Tite Kubo himself found out, and his statement was just, "The most shocking thing about this to me is that Gene Simmons's son is a manga artist."

I find it hilarious that Simmons didn't think anyone would figure out he had copied Bleach, a massively popular series. DeviantArt plagiarism might slip by but BLEACH?

I can't help but imagine a world where this took off and went super mainstream, like X-Men. I wouldve grown up pretending to have a stand and shit

This is hilarious, I honestly wish it had more issues

I thought this was going to be that one panel from a Hulk comic where the artist literally just drew in The World (ZA WARUDO) for a one-off character. But holy hell, they're even calling them stands here.

On the bright side, it really puts into perspective how goddamn stylish JJBA and Araki are when you take the same concept and put it over a bland American comic. One of the best things in recent years has been the resurrection and new found popularity of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure in Japan and in the West. I love how much a throwback the series is and how completely insane it can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom