• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

Red Fire

Left your boy Naruto in a ditch in part 1, crying on the floor at the beginning of Part 2 and bleeding to death at the end of Part 2 ;)
I thought a common rule with inter universe fights was energy being the same: chakra = haki.

We talking about part 1 sasuke? Part 1 sasuke can't solo shit in one piece universe

I'm talking about sasuke at the end which you could argue for. But still he had a draw with naruto, sooooo cant solo him 😉

You can't compare chakra with haki though, that would mean 11 year old kids easily learn how to use haki

Little konohamaru using haki SUREE

Yonko Tenten

Syntsui

Can't solo my boy Naruto though 💪

Also i don't know how sasuke should deal with logias without haki 😉

Mangekyou Sharingan alone should solo every character in One Piece, Naruto's universe is too crazy with the power creep to compare with One Piece, a discussion around this is ridiculous.

Veelk

Banned
You know, when you get down to it, I honestly don't know if I'd hate Fairy Tale more than I hate Naruto.

Fairy Tale sounds awful and stupid, but knowing what it is beforehand, I would know better than to get invested in it. I wouldn't not expect it to be good, or even particularly want it to be good. It would make it an epic waste of time, but I would have emotional insulation against it.

Not so with Naruto. I was SO into Naruto. It's the manga that got me into manga. And it resonated with me on a really deep level. And it got SO stupid. But it's like a distant memory now since I haven't read it in 10 years. Reading it would be like opening up a scar and there is no avoiding the sense of disappointment and what could have been as with what we got.

I can give One Piece a ton of shit for a ton of reasons, but it's atleast competently written on a basic level.

Whatever. I have My Hero Academia and The Promised Neverland now. That's all I really need.

LotusHD

Banned
1447354874-0d8e4a8865b1f146175d98e9b080d1e9.jpeg

Real recognizes Trash.

You know, when you get down to it, I honestly don't know if I'd hate Fairy Tale more than I hate Naruto.

Fairy Tale sounds awful and stupid, but knowing what it is beforehand, I would know better than to get invested in it. I wouldn't not expect it to be good, or even particularly want it to be good. It would make it an epic waste of time, but I would have emotional insulation against it.

Not so with Naruto. I was SO into Naruto. It's the manga that got me into manga. And it resonated with me on a really deep level. And it got SO stupid. But it's like a distant memory now since I haven't read it in 10 years. Reading it would be like opening up a scar and there is no avoiding the sense of disappointment and what could have been as with what we got.

I can give One Piece a ton of shit for a ton of reasons, but it's atleast competently written on a basic level.

Whatever. I have My Hero Academia and The Promised Neverland now. That's all I really need.

Did you ever read HxH?

Syntsui

At least you were not Bleach fan, you would probably have seizures.

Veelk

Banned
At least you were not Bleach fan, you would probably have seizures.

Well, I was, but honestly, I just never really cared about it that much either.

I mean, okay, that's not entirely true. I liked the SS arc. But I wasn't a super, mega fan of it. Maybe it was my being a Naruto fanboy that just prevented me from becoming overly attached to it. But it was the Hueco Mundo arc where I saw things clearly falling apart at the seams early on. And while Hueco Mundo wasn't good, things didn't truly get stupid until later.

I think the two major Ishida moments represent both the highs and lows of Bleach. Here you have Ishida, who is the lancer of the group and supposed to be the closest to Ichigo in power and blah blah, you know the drill. He's the Vegeta/Zoro/Sasuke of the group. And his backstory is one that I felt was legitimately cool.

In Soul Society you have him facing not just a captain, but that fucking scientist one. I forget his name and I'm not looking it up, but that was the moment of my highest emotional investment. After establishing Ishida as the last of the Quincies and what that means to him, he is forced to face the guy tortured and experimented on his people. And not just any of his people, but his own grandfather, who raised and cared for him when his parents were absent. So Ishida, to defeat him (and iirc he was the first to defeat any of the captains), gives up all his Quincy abilities for one last power up. For me, it didn't even matter that this wouldn't be permanent, it was a great moment that Ishida was willing to give up everything to defeat this one evil motherfucker that personally ruined his life.

I'm tempted to say that was Kubo's best piece of writing. And it had a lot of cool potential too. How could Ishida abide a society that condoned such a monster and allowed him to operate at the highest level of authority? And with Ichigo being his friend, where would that place them? What would Ichigo do? All this could have been it's own major arc. But again, I read this when I was a teenager and haven't read it again since so I might be misremembering, or atleast I might just not be as impressed as I was then. Still, for me that's the high point. So you can imagine my reaction when Ishida was fighting another scientist dude in Hueco Mundo. And then the Shinigami scientist dude comes in and rescues him.

And Ishida's reaction to this was....casual indifference?! He had no reaction to his mortal enemy suddenly just being an ally? No outrage that this evil motherfucker isn't dead? Just "Oh, I guess we're working together now?"

That's the moment it was clear to me that Kubo just had no regard for the story he was telling. He was just after cool moments, which the scientist dude provided, so that was that. You can probably name plenty of other, equally dumb moments in the future series, but this was straight up character assassination.

Did you ever read HxH?

Yes, and I think it's great, but I only wanted to mention ongoing series. HxH is too infrequent to count.

bjork

Lol we got veteran anime forum posters here

I used to sell it professionally, I've seen the darkest depths of anime and its varying levels of fanbases.

Not with a poorly thought out world with an artist that just wants to draw cool shit.

It was hanging in there pretty good until Heuco Mundo happened, then it kinda went off the rails. That facebook timeline villain with the skeleton suit or whatever was when it felt like it would never recover, and it didn't. I do wish he'd draw someone else's story, though.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
There was a time when OP, Naruto and Bleach were all of similar quality

In fact I used to like Naruto more than OP, slightly. I never stopped liking Naruto, unlike Bleach, but I did fall out of love with it after
Itachi and Nagato
died.

With SS arc in mind, yes it had. Too bad everything felt apart after that, Kubo is a hack.
He can't be a hack if he created SS. He went wrong somewhere, maybe through hubris, poor planning, or lack of self awareness as to what made his SS arc so compelling

Veelk

Banned
Potential is too nebulous to really measure. In fact, I'd say that everything has the potential to be the best story ever written, no matter how silly or absurd it's premise, and it's just a matter of execution.

But personally, if I had to pick which would be the best, Naruto was that series for me. I spent a long time imagining how it could have gone when it was still good, and I spent a long time ruminating on how things could have gone differently after it fell off a cliff. For me, I just saw a lot of potential I loved. The mythological grand feeling of the tailed beasts in a world of magic that feels realistically depicted because it's about how people use it for military effect with combat being decided by wits as much as strength, all centered around a boy who feels he has no connection to the world because everyone hates him for reasons he can't control and his most significant relationship (sasuke) goes sour in a bad way because he's connected to dark family drama.

One of the reasons I like MHA so much is that it feels like it's capitalizing on the concepts Naruto threw away.

bjork

I will say, regardless of how Naruto went as a manga, running around Konoha in that first 360 Naruto game felt super cool. Maybe captured what I thought it would be like better than the source material did, even.

LotusHD

Banned
With SS arc in mind, yes it had. Too bad everything felt apart after that, Kubo is a hack.

I guess. The Aizen reveal was cool, but in hindsight, I'm like, damn Ichigo, just beating up all these people, learning Bankai in 3 days despite it taking years, etc. Mind you it was cool and all, but meh, there's a lot to criticize.

I wonder where both Naruto and One Piece were during that arc.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Naruto's biggest weakness was falling back on shonen tropes at the end. The hard work beats lineage theme, the entire ninja motif the series had, the dark and gritty world we were presented with, the MENACING aura of the tailed beasts, the mysterious and threatening Akatsuki, all so good, and all thrown out the window by:

Tobi/Obito
Tailed beasts beaten with power of friendship
Forgetting ninja stuff and turning it into a fantasy shonen world

I will admit that Madara was cool as hell. I can buy him doing all the insane stuff he did, it was like seeing a legend come to life. So there was potential being realized even at the end there. Kaguya's story and the tailed beasts weren't conceptually bad either, just executed poorly

Edit: I'm convinced the poor reception of the brief focus on Shikamaru's team during the Immortals arc contributed somewhat heavily to the weirdness of the last story arc. That was an amazing story, and people whined because Naruto wasn't the main focus... oh well.

Veelk

Banned
I guess. The Aizen reveal was cool, but in hindsight, I'm like, damn Ichigo, just beating up all these people, learning Bankai in 3 days despite it taking years, etc. Mind you it was cool and all, but meh, there's a lot to criticize.

I wonder where both Naruto and One Piece were during that arc.

Yeah, I wrote elsewhere that, in hindsight, a lot of the problems htat would show up in later arcs show up in SS. Superfluous characters and fight scenes, incoherent storytelling, bullshit powers, it's all there.

We just allowed it because it was the first time the series went there and allowed it some leeway in that. Because if Kubo had had a plan or atleast enough improve skill to build on those things, it would all work.

But the truth was that the writing was on the wall.

We talking about part 1 sasuke? Part 1 sasuke can't solo shit in one piece universe

I'm talking about sasuke at the end which you could argue for. But still he had a draw with naruto, sooooo cant solo him 😉

You can't compare chakra with haki though, that would mean 11 year old kids easily learn how to use haki

Little konohamaru using haki SUREE

Yonko Tenten

Just energy thats in every being. All shounen have it. Not everyone in Naruto can use chakra as well.

Seriously though, Adult Sasuke would solo the One Piece universe. Dimension hopping, space time teleportation, genjutsu you can't escape, sword strikes that can destroy meteors, meteor summonings, energy absorption, meteor busting chidoris, precognition, everlasting flames with sight, and a hard defense.

LotusHD

Banned
I will say, regardless of how Naruto went as a manga, running around Konoha in that first 360 Naruto game felt super cool. Maybe captured what I thought it would be like better than the source material did, even.

I did not like that game. I think running around was alright enough, but the actual gameplay was crap.

Naruto's biggest weakness was falling back on shonen tropes at the end. The hard work beats lineage theme, the entire ninja motif the series had, the dark and gritty world we were presented with, the MENACING aura of the tailed beasts, the mysterious and threatening Akatsuki, all so good, and all thrown out the window by:

Tobi/Obito
Tailed beasts beaten with power of friendship
Forgetting ninja stuff and turning it into a fantasy shonen world

I will admit that Madara was cool as hell. I can buy him doing all the insane stuff he did, it was like seeing a legend come to life. So there was potential being realized even at the end there. Kaguya's story and the tailed beasts weren't conceptually bad either, just executed poorly

If they had made the final villain Madara, and not bring Kaguya out of nowhere, I'd be okay with it. Also you know, not making Sasuke become villainous yet again. They just can't help but want me to despise him as a character. Sakura... opinion was already made up on her.

Also didn't like how the whole hard work theme gets slowly but surely wiped away by Naruto having all of these extremely convenient connections and lineages...

I think the only character I consistently loved the whole way through was Shikamaru.

bjork

Just energy thats in every being. All shounen have it. Not everyone in Naruto can use chakra as well.

Seriously though, Adult Sasuke would solo the One Piece universe. Dimension hopping, space time teleportation, genjutsu you can't escape, sword strikes that can destroy meteors, meteor summonings, energy absorption, meteor busting chidoris, precognition, everlasting flames with sight, and a hard defense.

Adult Sasuke would've been Ace. Got cocky and swallowed up, put in the clink, except no little brother to come save him because Naruto is busy hyperventilating on the floor somewhere.

He could beat Perona with his emo hax, though. Sasuke is the Usopp of the Narutoverse

I did not like that game. I think running around was alright enough, but the actual gameplay was crap.

If it just had better combat and transitions to it, it would've been far better. But like, hauling ass down an alley so you can jump on a roof and turn into a naked lady to give some pervert a nosebleed? That's good stuff.

Syntsui

Cell is probably the saga I'm least fond of, plus the animations were all over the place there. Some episodes were fantastic, others were DBSuper tier.

Goku vs Cell was very cool though.

SolVanderlyn

I don't like the King Piccolo saga. It drags and the whole thing is solved by drinking magical fucking water.
I liked it for:

-The darker tonal shift
-The global scale
-Roshi being a badass
-Lots of upsets like SHENRON FUCKING DYING
-King Piccolo being a general badass villain

Honestly when I think of shonen manga that have consistently amazing story arcs, I always think of

One Piece
Rurouni Kenshin (manga)
and Dragon Ball

They all have duds of sorts. The first arc in Kenshin is relatively mundane, DB has a lot of arcs that go nowhere (Red Ribbon) and Buu is a mess, One Piece has a few less interesting arcs (Thriller Bark for me, YMMV though). BUT they all offer consistent entertainment without any seriously unenjoyable dips. Top three manga of all time IMO

Ray Down

Banned
It's the same series in manga form.

Yes Buu is better, it has aliens, gods, fusions, desperate measures, romance subplot, the antics of Mr. Satan, kids having fun again, old rivalries, and payoff for the spirit bomb technique.

Yes Buu is better, it has aliens, gods, fusions, desperate measures, romance subplot, the antics of Mr. Satan, kids having fun again, old rivalries, and payoff for the spirit bomb technique.
Buu sucks because toriyama is a sucker and can't sit goku down for 3 seconds and builds up characters only to break them down and turn them into a comedy shtick

/rant

SolVanderlyn

Buu has a lot of highlights, yes. I just don't like how haphazardly the powerups and fights are handled. Every other arc felt like there was a legitimate reason to have characters fighting, where Buu made it really obvious Toriyama was coming up with cool ideas and shoving them into the story like crazy. There was little payoff for all the powerups/transformations we saw in that arc. I didn't dislike it, but it's a weak point in the series for me

Kenshin's manga is significantly different than its anime. The first arc made several alterations and the third was never animated. The only one that got a proper adaptation was the Shishio arc

Ray Down

Banned
It's Toriyama introducing weird and fun concepts again, having balance with fun and fighting/seriousness is something other arc's had.

Cell was almost always serious.

Veelk

Banned
Kenshin is another classic that I wonder how it would hold up now. I liked it a lot, but also it had it's weak points. It had a bad case of "The protagonist is the only really important character here" syndrome from what I remember.

I liked it for:

-The darker tonal shift
-The global scale
-Roshi being a badass
-Lots of upsets like SHENRON FUCKING DYING
-King Piccolo being a general badass villain

Honestly when I think of shonen manga that have consistently amazing story arcs, I always think of

One Piece
Rurouni Kenshin (manga)
and Dragon Ball

They all have duds of sorts. The first arc in Kenshin is relatively mundane, DB has a lot of arcs that go nowhere (Red Ribbon) and Buu is a mess, One Piece has a few less interesting arcs (Thriller Bark for me, YMMV though). BUT they all offer consistent entertainment without any seriously unenjoyable dips. Top three manga of all time IMO

I agree with you on being consistently enjoyable, I just criticize the King Piccolo arc for having an unsatisfying conclusion and too much exposition delivered by characters sitting around.

But the original Dragonball manga is too breezy and superbly crafted for me not to get enjoyment out of it, and it's not like it has any weighty pretensions that drag it down. It just had bad habits.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I wonder if I can get someone to summarize how the entire run of Fairy Tale actually went. Because while I heard enough about how it handles it's resolutions and depicts it's characters to know I don't want to touch it, I don't actually know what happens in it. I know there are guilds and they fight to be the top guild and that's basically it.

Typical shounen plot with most fights being won by the power of friendship or punching harder.

A lot of fun characters too.

My biggest gripe with the series is for as much as it does with female fighters fighting and kicking ass it's usually followed up by the same characters ending up naked or undressed for absolutely no reason.

Off the top of my head I can't think of a single female character that has been introduced that hasn't been undressed at some point.

LotusHD

Banned
I want Veelk to read/watch Fairy Tail solely to get his reaction for that one fight where Erza fought a woman that took away all 5 of her senses and enhanced her reception to pain... and still won.

caliph95

Or how she destroyed a meteor after the dragon bad guy(girl?) broke all her bones except one sweep except one and still somehow slashed at the bad guy

Veelk

Banned
I want Veelk to read/watch Fairy Tail solely to get his reaction for that one fight where Erza fought a woman that took away all 5 of her senses and enhanced her reception to pain... and still won.

Well, it wouldn't be as genuine as you'd want it when you spoil it like that. That sort of thing, you have to not expect it to be as bullshit as it is for the full effect to kick in.

But I think I said it before. You'd literally have to pay me to read it.

Top Bottom