• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where's my Fallout 3 teaser Bethesda?!

Zzoram

As long as there's no level scaling and walkthrough compass it'll probably be a great game. Even if they build those in, I'll just get the PC version and the modders will remove that.

Krowley

Don't know if it'll play like fallout, but it sure sounded like fallout and it had the right feel :D

Very nice teaser. It also looks like the artstlyle from the concept shots is well translated.

asa

Looks cool.
I don't see why wouldn't that be ingame footage. The starting is probably edited in, but rest of the stuff, gfx like that will be standard by 2008 fall.. wake up people.

LordMaji

Cdammen said:
Short and sweet. But they really need to change that epic/heroic/fantasy music or I'll shiv someone in the eye. That "honorable" music doesn't belong in a Fallout game. That's all :)

I agree. In the post nuclear world it seems like everything is free game for survival. That's the vibe I got out of the first 2 games.

Thyrus

After watching teaser i'm cautiously optimistic that they'll manage to pull off the theme of the fallout universe. That is ofcourse assuming they don't chicken out and make it pg13 or some nonesense.

Remember, it ain't fallout if you can't sell drugs or place grenades on people.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Everything seems fine so far. I'm glad Bethesda seems to have the atmosphere down (which I assumed they would). I expect good things from the writing, too (Oblivion's was actually pretty good. It was just presented badly.) Too bad they didn't show any gameplay--that's where my real concern is.

Zzoram

LordMaji said:
I agree. In the post nuclear world it seems like everything is free game for survival. That's the vibe I got out of the first 2 games.

Ya, the only thing you worry about in a post apocalyptic world is survival.

Zzoram

Thyrus said:
After watching teaser i'm cautiously optimistic that they'll manage to pull off the theme of the fallout universe. That is ofcourse assuming they don't chicken out and make it pg13 or some nonesense.

Remember, it ain't fallout if you can't sell drugs or place grenades on people.

There was something that looked like booze in the trailer, so at least alcohol isn't gone. It also looked like Nuka-Cola was lying around, but red now not blue? Maybe they signed an in-game advertising deal with Coca-Cola :lol

LordMaji

after all this talk I might have to go back and play Fallout 2 just for fun. I went back to play Baldurs Gate II recently also. Still playing it actually. What a great ****ing game. Black Isle should of broke off to do their own thing, or became part of Bioware or something. Damn Interplay.

LordMaji said:
after all this talk I might have to go back and play Fallout 2 just for fun. I went back to play Baldurs Gate II recently also. Still playing it actually. What a great ****ing game. Black Isle should of broke off and became part of Bioware or something. Damn Interplay.
They kind off did, Obsidian has a great deal of members from Black Isle and they seem to have a good work relationship with Bioware.

bengraven

Having never played the Fallout games, I'm still not extremely excited about this. I have no opinion either way. I ****ing love TES though.

But then it dawned on me that if they could do an Elder Scrolls game in OUR world in the future, that's a kind of cool experiment.

I suppose I should take that Fallout collection out of my Amazon wishlist and just buy it already so I can join in on the bitching, eh?

FALL 2008.

fall... 2008.

*looks at his calendar*

hmm..

*counts on his fingers*

*blinks*

DAMNIT! DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN.

Halflife modders. ROLL OUT! Lets get this game done before fall 2007! GO GO GO

JayDubya

Banned
LordMaji said:

There's nothing stopping you from playing a totally good and honorable character. Indeed, in most respects, the Brotherhood of Steel is like an unto order of chivalric knights.

There's also nothing stopping you from playing a dirty druggie whore, or a child-murdering, bloodthirsty, ravenous beast.

LordMaji

Not sure if anyone posted the youtube link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t5zrFYPJ2g

here ya go.

JayDubya said:
There's nothing stopping you from playing a totally good and honorable character. Indeed, in most respects, the Brotherhood of Steel is like an unto order of chivalric knights.

There's also nothing stopping you from playing a dirty druggie whore, or a child-murdering, bloodthirsty, ravenous beast.

Very true. Either way you play, it's all about survival at all costs. I generally play all my chars as a neutral char. It all depends.

KTallguy

Banned
Crayon Shinchan said:
Look. Fallout ISN'T about it's stilted turn based isometric combat system.
It's ALL ABOUT the awesome dystopic post nuclear universe setting along with great character building, and role playing options.

I agree, but the Fallout role playing system (that wasn't really based on D&D) perfectly matched the isometric, turn based gameplay. Remember when they tried to make X-com into a real time game, and it just didn't feel right?

bengraven said:
But then it dawned on me that if they could do an Elder Scrolls game in OUR world in the future, that's a kind of cool experiment.

That's fine, but I hope that's not what they're doing with the Fallout license. Call it something else.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Consider myself teased too.

But if bethesda ****s up fallout, there will be blood drawn in great quantities from their lifeless bodies.
bengraven said:
Not with fallout, no, that'd be way uncool.

JayDubya

Banned
I also can't believe anyone would ever complain about Jeremy Soule music. Prolific as his work is in most western RPGs, the man is awesome.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
JayDubya said:
I also can't believe anyone would ever complain about Jeremy Soule music. Prolific as his work is in most western RPGs, the man is awesome.
Just because he's a good musician doesn't mean his usual "fantasy" stuff works with fallout.

And it doesn't, really.

mcgarrett

Crayon Shinchan said:
Look. Fallout ISN'T about it's stilted turn based isometric combat system.
Ever tried playing a 3D Castlevania adventure game? It's a completely different experience than the traditional 2D side-scrolling incarnation; for most folks, a non-Castlevania experience. So yes, in some cases, genre does matter.

That said, looks like it should be a decent game in its own right. I'd prefer turn-based, but realistically that was never an option.

bengraven said:
Having never played the Fallout games, I'm still not extremely excited about this. I have no opinion either way. I ****ing love TES though.

I suppose I should take that Fallout collection out of my Amazon wishlist and just buy it already so I can join in on the bitching, eh?

But then you would never understand the importance of these four words: "War, War Never Changes"

Zzoram

KTallguy said:
I agree, but the Fallout role playing system (that wasn't really based on D&D) perfectly matched the isometric, turn based gameplay. Remember when they tried to make X-com into a real time game, and it just didn't feel right?

That's fine, but I hope that's not what they're doing with the Fallout license. Call it something else.

Actually Fallout was based on AD&D. You can tell by the character creation and level up system alone. Play Baldur's Gate/KOTOR and tell me they aren't very similar.

People seem to forget that the AD&D rule set can be applied to games other than Medieval Fantasy themed games.

bengraven

cartoon_soldier said:
But then you would never understand the importance of these four words: "War, War Never Changes"

No, I mean actually buy the game, not just let it sit on my Wishlist like it has for two years. I just don't know if I will get into it.

I like it a lot, it's very much like the first Fallout intro, where it starts with the television screen and ends with the view of a ruined city, except this time it's a radio. Very well done. And Ron Perlman _O_ I love you.

I just hope they get rid of all that Lotr music, it's really awful for Fallout. Good thing it had the Ink Spots during the rest of the teaser. Another thing is the power armor, I hope this is an old one some hobo pieced together, cause it doesn't look as good as the original versions.

Masklinn said:
Just because he's a good musician doesn't mean his usual "fantasy" stuff works with fallout.

And it doesn't, really.

Exactly.

Dolphin

Banned
When is a game developer going to realize that a post apocalyptic future doesn't have to be brown and desaturated?

Eric P

Zzoram said:
Actually Fallout was based on AD&D. You can tell by the character creation and level up system alone. Play Baldur's Gate/KOTOR and tell me they aren't very similar.

People seem to forget that the AD&D rule set can be applied to games other than Medieval Fantasy themed games.

what?

Sqorgar

Banned
Zzoram said:
Fallout was originally based on Steve Jackson Games' GURPS system, but they lost the license halfway through development and morphed it over to the SPECIAL system.

Clevinger

JayDubya said:

Soule isn't doing the music for FO3, people just assume he is. His production company told the stalkers at NMA that he's not doing it.

JayDubya

Banned
Some of Fallout's game system seems very similar to 3rd Edition D&D actually, and that came out long after Fallout did.

Oh, sure, the attributes are different (Strength, Perception, Endurance, Intelligence, Agility, Charisma, Luck instead of Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma) and there's the traits and what not, but the skill system is very similar and the leveling mechanic is very similar.

What do I mean?

0 xp, L1, starting Traits (Feats, some of which can only be taken at L1)
1000 xp, L2
3000 xp, L3, Perk (Feat)
6000 xp, L4
10000 xp, L5
15,000 xp, L6, Perk (Feat)...

bengraven said:
Okay, I'm really curious:

What IS "Fallout music"?

Weird atmospheric music which consists of a lot of 'howling wind' samples or something like that.

buckfutter said:
Detached, ambient and menacing. Ideally. Not stirring, heroic and concerning hobbits.

Well put.

Clevinger

buckfutter said:
Detached, ambient and menacing. Ideally. Not stirring, heroic and concerning hobbits.

While it probably gets too stirring near the end, the title track is very similar to the music in Fallout 2's (and most likely FO1's, but it's been a while since I played) cinematics (Jump suit, oil rig), which is where I'm guessing it'll be used in FO3 besides the title screen.

FO didn't really have a title theme, it just rehashed an in-game track.

Top Bottom