• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more day...hold me

giphy.gif

Permanently A

Are you expecting anyone in this thread to tell you no? The finale of Season 2 is worth the dip in quality. But each episode has good scenes and important plot and character moments. Even if they are surrounded by truly turgid shit.

Fire Walk With Me is incredible too. But leans heavy into the dark depressing side of the world.

I'm really just trying to gauge reading the plot summaries vs watching it

I think I'll read up to and then watch the finale

sohois

Is there a full list of who didn't make it? Those who aren't returning like Donna and those who passed away before filming like Bob and Pete?

Joqu

I'm really just trying to gauge reading the plot summaries vs watching it

I think I'll read up to and then watch the finale

Well, I do think you should watch it instead since you're asking. But no one's going judge you
too harshly
, just do what ends up being necessary for you. Summaries is better than nothing. I just think you'll end up enjoying the good stuff more if you don't skip anything.

got to episode 6 of season 2, probably gonna stop soon

my headcanon says that harold's orchid room + the music was a big inspiration to resident evil's save room aesthetics

The biggest hurdle I think will be having to endure all the news outlets saying "It doesn't make any sense" or my co-workers saying "It's just weird random stuff to be weird".

There's always been a logic to his work, and having people write it off as just being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse always gets under my skin.

The biggest hurdle I think will be having to endure all the news outlets saying "It doesn't make any sense" or my co-workers saying "It's just weird random stuff to be weird".

There's always been a logic to his work, and having people write it off as just being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse always gets under my skin.

I'd say there is more of a feeling, rather than a logic. He does what feels right. Which is the opposite of being weird just to be weird. That's just how Lynch's instinct operates.

I'd say there is more of a feeling, rather than a logic. He does what feels right. Which is the opposite of being weird just to be weird. That's just how Lynch's instinct operates.
Yeah I guess logic isn't the best word. I guess I'm just thinking of cases like Eraserhead, where many people I know consider it to just be abstract nonsense, when it's really a somewhat comedic, stylized portrayal of a new fathers anxieties of raising a child. The Lynch feelings and style (in all forms of his art) often have straightforward roots.

mf.luder

My body is ready. I'm travelling at the moment and not sure I'll be able to catch the premiere. Thankfully I have cravetv!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm really glad to live in the universe where Twin Peaks Season 3 actually happened, Lynch and Frost did every episode, they even got twice as many episodes as they were originally supposed to get (originally they only got the greenlight for 9 episodes and a lower budget, but managed to secure 18 episodes and a much bigger budget), and even got most of the cast to return (there's a few notable admissions, some unavoidable due to deaths, but it's impressive how many of the original cast they did manage to get back), I'm really happy this all managed to work out somehow, especially considering it almost didn't happen.

I'm excited for this both on the front that this new season is the third season of Twin Peaks, but also the first proper film-type thing (it's a TV series, but Lynch and cast have emphasized it's shot like an 18-hour movie) that Lynch has done in ages. I'm also happy that it seems all those involved had a great time making it, the actors seem enthusiastic and Lynch said making this third season was one of the favorite things he's ever done.

I also am incredibly open to whatever comes on tomorrow. Like they have kept us so in the dark I'm not really sure what I should be expecting. I'm kind of expecting this may be closer to Fire Walk With Me than the original series, but that's only based on loose things that they've said and I don't really know. I'm perfectly fine with that. Take me wherever Lynch, the original series is my favorite TV show of all time but I'm open to whatever the hell this is supposed to be.

One things for sure, whatever it is we're probably in for one wild ride.

jett

D-Member
I've only seen S1 and some of S2 of the original. Read about/watched clips of the rest.

Will watch this thing anyway.

Pachimari

Nice OT!

Ok, so I should really finish up Season 1 tonight.

I'm not looking at any pictures of the actors. I wanna see how they've grown up when I watch Season 3.

hydruxo

Is there a full list of who didn't make it? Those who aren't returning like Donna and those who passed away before filming like Bob and Pete?

http://uproxx.com/hitfix/twin-peaks-cast-list-11-major-omissions-from-lara-flynn-boyle-to-heather-graham/

Biggest omissions: Michael Ontkean (Sheriff Truman), Heather Graham (Annie), Lara Flynn Boyle (Donna), Michael J Anderson (Man from Another Place), Eric Da Re (Leo), Joan Chen (Josie)

That's most of the notable ones. There's more at the link.

Here's what I don't want......everyone to get all pissy if "nothing" happens in the first episode. Twin Peaks isn't a show where everything happens smoothly. I hope in today's instant analysis/everyone has an opinion without putting any thought into it world, the true appeal of Twin Peaks isn't lost.

Dusk Golem

Also I'll post this here for those who haven't seen this:

For those who want to wet the Twin Peaks appetite a bit more before the new season, one of the composers for the new season, Johnny Jewel (not the main composer, that's Angelo Badalamenti of course) released an album recently, "Windswept", which features music he did for the new season of Twin Peaks. You can buy the full album for $1 here: http://italiansdoitbetter.bigcartel.com/product/johnny-jewel-windswept

But they also did some official uploads on the YouTube channel. Here's a few of the songs:

Saturday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybYaONaws9k
Blue Moon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGMXFRe4wrU
Heaven: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxVhLf5Bdjg
Missing Pages: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNWjFOL7b6U
Motel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4VsPob4ke0
The Flame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlmwngDSFhQ
Strobe Lights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVz7d_ZCl-w

All of it is very Twin Peaks-esque, and more on the album/official channel. They don't confirm what songs are in the new season of Twin Peaks, just there's music in the new season here (it could be only one of the songs or all of them. Some certainly have very Twin Peaks-esque names though, and a couple have music videos, one I didn't link here named Insomnia has a video of a girl wrapped in plastic, for example.).

Here's what I don't want......everyone to get all pissy if "nothing" happens in the first episode. Twin Peaks isn't a show where everything happens smoothly. I hope in today's instant analysis/everyone has an opinion without putting any thought into it world, the true appeal of Twin Peaks isn't lost.

I think a lot of people will bounce right off this. Lynch films tend to be pretty dense and inaccessible. I really expect no compromises for audience gratification.

Straight into my veins!

PolishQ

Great job on the OP! Subscribing.

Are we all agreed that spoiler tags should be used for parts 3 & 4 until they officially air on the 28th?

Thanks for all of the praise everyone, this OT was one I felt so nervous about since everything David Lynch and Twin Peaks are both 10/10, top 5 things of all time for me. I share all of this with Joqu, who did the actual hard part (the banners, the top image and is the Photoshop maestro).

http://uproxx.com/hitfix/twin-peaks-cast-list-11-major-omissions-from-lara-flynn-boyle-to-heather-graham/

Biggest omissions: Michael Ontkean (Sheriff Truman), Heather Graham (Annie), Lara Flynn Boyle (Donna), Michael J Anderson (Man from Another Place), Eric Da Re (Leo), Joan Chen (Josie)

That's most of the notable ones. There's more at the link.

Thanks, adding to the FAQ!

Dusk Golem

I think a lot of people will bounce right off this. Lynch films tend to be pretty dense and inaccessible. I really expect no compromises for audience gratification.

Straight into my veins!

I completely expect some will try this and be turned off by... Whatever it ends up being, because its a Lynch (and Frost) thing. But I also kind of think Twin Peaks has enough of a reputation to attract an audience, and there has been a long stretch since Lynch's last film work and Lynch's discography has remained relevant and found new fans within the last 11 years (I admit, I'm one of them), that many are probably open to whatever crazy thing they have in store for us. I do suspect some will turn, but I think many are also gonna' be, "GIVE IT TO ME LYNCH, WHATEVER IT IS," and staying open minded about this.

Dusk Golem

Great job on the OP! Subscribing.

Are we all agreed that spoiler tags should be used for parts 3 & 4 until they officially air on the 28th?

And yeah, discussed this in the previous Twin Peaks thread, but to everyone this is important:

When Parts 1 & 2 air on television, discuss them here with unmarked spoilers all you like, BUT please mark all Part 3 & 4 spoilers until the parts air next week. Parts 3 & 4 will become available on-demand services as soon as the first two parts are done live airing,
but parts 3 & 4 will air next weekend so anyone who watches the on-demand versions please mark spoiler tag all discussion of anything that happens in parts 3 & 4 for others who are waiting for the broadcast release.

Corpekata

Banned
Hoping this ends up more like season 1/end of season 2 and less like Fire Walk With Me. As much as Lynch chafed against network restraints I think it produced the best work overall. Or maybe Mark Frost works as a better counter balance.

Dusk Golem

I actually will ask this as the window is closing to ever ask this again:

What do you expect the new season will be like/about? And what do you want from it? A simple question, but here we are right before the premiere and most of it is speculation still, there's a few bits out there we know but so much is in the dark. So what do y'all expect from this new season before it airs tomorrow?

grumpy

Not enough love for Mark Frost and Angelo Badalamenti in the OP. Those two are as much responsible for creating Twin Peaks as David Lynch is.

Edit: Great job with the OP otherwise. I'm just "salty" that these two men don't get enough recognition when it comes to their work in Twin Peaks.

Corpekata

Banned
Is there a decent summary anywhere? I remember a lot of the bigger and broader points (and most things with Laura, Bob, Cooper, etc) but a lot of the little details escaping me, especially some of later season 2 / FWWM since I didn't care for them so rewatched them less.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, I'M TOO DAMN EXCITED.

Too damn much.

I can't believe we're getting this. I'm watching the S2 finale and FWWM to be ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom