• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Gears of War Judgement has leaked to the web...

dab0ne

I canceled my pre-order. I'll get it in two months when it's like $20. 4 games in one cycle is a bit much. This should have spent more time in the oven and been a 720 launch title.

Did MS forget to market this game? The last thing I remember seeing from it was the announcement trailer at E3. At least Sony is marketing GoW Ascension a bit.

Probably not a real gears, maybe the game will even kill people can fly and kill my hope for a childish bullet storm 2 with competitive multiplayer it had.

Izick

Part of me wants to play a new Gears game since the last one I played was Gears 2, but I know a way better, much more interesting one is likely down the road for the Nextbox.

Conor 419

Banned
Gears 3 came out on September 20th 2011, that is going to be exactly 1.5 years by the time GoWJ comes out. They also delayed GoW3 for like 4 months to make it a holiday release, so it should have been almost 2 years between releases. I have no idea by what you mean when you say fans were disgruntled by the handling of DLC for GoW 3, unless you are talking about people having trouble downloading it with the season pass when it first came out. They also fixed that problem right away. This game not having the same hype as previous games has nothing to do with MS. It is a nonnumbered prequel made by a different dev. It is also coming out at the end of the gen, which has been waaaaay to long of a gen for most people. The hype will be back in full force for GoW4 once it gets announced.

A lot of people make arguments like this all of the time, I witnessed similar for ODST where 'fans' claimed the poor sales and poor release timing were acceptable because of various circumstances. As a publisher, it is Microsoft's responsibility to ensure their IP's do not suffer these sorts of circumstances. Sure they're going to want to make money out of a Gears of War, but then why not just have PCF divert all of these resources into an (appropriately priced) expansion pack for Gears 3? Surely it'd be much more sane for them to strengthen their most recent title as opposed to very quickly shattering its playerbase through fragmentation. Also why not use this opportunity to develop genuinely new ideas that didn't reach the original trilogy? Instead we are (once more) seeing the influence of CoD on a title completely unsuited to it, and presumably like Halo 4, we will once again see these 'new' features make the impact Microsoft want. If anything, we're just going to see an increase in franchise fatigue, poor reviews and weakened sales, all of which contribute to the launch of Gears 4, assuming it's ever made.

Izick

How did Gears 3 turn out? I was just so put-off by Gears 2's multiplayer that I kind of just said "forget it" and skipped the third. I'm guessing it's cheapish now, right? Worth picking up for SP and MP, just one, neither?

Conor 419

Banned
How did Gears 3 turn out? I was just so put-off by Gears 2's multiplayer that I kind of just said "forget it" and skipped the third. I'm guessing it's cheapish now, right? Worth picking up for SP and MP, just one, neither?

If you skipped Gears 2, the SP of 3 will do nothing for you, it was very disappointing. The multiplayer's great, probably my favourite out of the three and well worth playing.

shandy706

SuperÑ;47913720 said:
I find very annoying having to wait more than a month to purchase it when other people are playing right now.

I don't understand how one can be annoyed by something so silly....lol

Izick

If you skipped Gears 2, the SP of 3 will do nothing for you, it was very disappointing. The multiplayer's great, probably my favourite out of the three and well worth playing.

I played through Gears 2's SP all the way through, and I thought it was okay. What really turned me off the whole game was the multiplayer. It just felt glitchy, buggy, and it just didn't feel as solid as the first game to me.

They finally nailed the multiplayer about 95%, 5% being lag related and the overcross map or whatever, totally broken one sided map. Single player however was one of the worst, it felt boring, was trying to be more dramatic but failed at it.

MP wise I would say 3 > 1 > 2
SP wise 1 > 2 > 3

I just can't find a care for this new game. I was hyped and enjoyed to an extent the previous 3, but I just kinda have no drive to get this. Everything about it just seems so... non interesting? They have done a horrible job of marketing and hyping this.

My brother wants me to get the game so we can play co-op but no way am I paying $60 for a shitty stripped down gears experience.

Maybe I'll consider a purchase at $30

Marvie_3

Banned
I just can't find a care for this new game. I was hyped and enjoyed to an extent the previous 3, but I just kinda have no drive to get this. Everything about it just seems so... non interesting? They have done a horrible job of marketing and hyping this.

Same here. I liked the first 3 but I think I'm Gears'd out at this point.

A lot of people make arguments like this all of the time, I witnessed similar for ODST where 'fans' claimed the poor sales and poor release timing were acceptable because of various circumstances. As a publisher, it is Microsoft's responsibility to ensure their IP's do not suffer these sorts of circumstances. Sure they're going to want to make money out of a Gears of War, but then why not just have PCF divert all of these resources into an (appropriately priced) expansion pack for Gears 3? Surely it'd be much more sane for them to strengthen their most recent title as opposed to very quickly shattering its playerbase through fragmentation. Also why not use this opportunity to develop genuinely new ideas that didn't reach the original trilogy? Instead we are (once more) seeing the influence of CoD on a title completely unsuited to it, and presumably like Halo 4, we will once again see these 'new' features make the impact Microsoft want. If anything, we're just going to see an increase in franchise fatigue, poor reviews and weakened sales, all of which contribute to the launch of Gears 4, assuming it's ever made.

The point of this game was for the 360 to have a final big exclusive to carry them through until the fall when the next Xbox comes out. MS knows that a lot of people are burnt out on this gen and they didnt want Epic or whoever to put a ton into making a proper Gears sequel so late in the 360's life. Instead they decided to do a prequel featuring some side characters. This game seems like it is for people who are either desperate for something new to play, or people who are interested in seeing some new ideas in Gears. This isnt really like ODST, this will have a full campaign, which a bunch of new and seemingly good ideas added, and it will feature a very different mp experience. People always complain about how similar sequels are, but here you have a case where they are doing things that are very different and most people wont even give it a chance. I disagree with you that this will affect Gears 4 in any way. As long as Gears 4 looked great and goes back towards evolving the formula people will be happy with it.

Izick

I mean how can you be? No real big story stuff going down; no real multiplayer evolution besides some smaller stuff; all the coverage even seems to treat it as a nice little B title that gives the 360 some more games in its portfolio before the Nextbox.

To me, it's pretty clear that whatever interesting (about Gears) is going to be happening on the Nextbox.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be

I think its the best of the bunch. Gears 1 had the most balanced MP, Gears 2 broke it to shreds, not only unbalanced changes but stupid as hell netcode. Gears 3 adds some neat new stuff as well as going a long way to repairing the damage done. Overall its the best MP.

Gears 3 campaign was fun, compared to something like Halo its so much better. You get 4 player co-op, boss battles and it's a decent length. Just more of the same really but with 4 players.

Conor 419

Banned
The point of this game was for the 360 to have a final big exclusive to carry them through until the fall when the next Xbox comes out.

Which goes back to the core point of Microsoft being incapable of IP management, they have plenty of studios which could have put out something different, they could even have taken a genuinely new approach to Gears, instead we're getting what seems to be a half hearted and rushed spin off about a series of events and characters that nobody really cares about.

But here you have a case where they are doing things that are very different and most people wont even give it a chance.

Again noting the disparity between 'make it like CoD, new' and 'genuinely new'. I do not look at Judgment and think 'this is very different', I see it as the inappropriate addition of features from an entirely different series.

I disagree with you that this will affect Gears 4 in any way. As long as Gears 4 looked great and goes back towards evolving the formula people will be happy with it.

Yeah, let's hope.

This shouldve been a Gear 3 expansion pack. Microsoft love this strategy, just look at Halo 3 ODST

How could this have been a GoW3 expansion? The mp is totally different. No Locusts at all, no DBNO, no executions, totally different modes, they changes the way loadouts work, they added classes to the mp, all new overrun mode, all new declassified missions and mission scoring, if this game focused on Marcus and Dom in the Pendulum Wars no one would be saying it should have just been an expansion.

How could this have been a GoW3 expansion? The mp is totally different. No Locusts at all, no DBNO, no executions, totally different modes, they changes the way loadouts work, they added classes to the mp, all new overrun mode, all new declassified missions and mission scoring, if this game focused on Marcus and Dom in the Pendulum Wars no one would be saying it should have just been an expansion.

Totally different? This could have been done on the Gears 3 engine with some work.

Watching the MP trailer and this looks terrible. Weve played 3 games of COG V Locust, why change it now??

And no Lancer/Gnasher spawns? Fucking stupid.

Doffen

A lot of people make arguments like this all of the time, I witnessed similar for ODST where 'fans' claimed the poor sales and poor release timing were acceptable because of various circumstances.

Halo 3 ODST (as of 7.11.2012) is the 12th bestselling Xbox 360 retail game with 6.05M copies sold.
As a publisher, it is Microsoft's responsibility to ensure their IP's do not suffer these sorts of circumstances. Sure they're going to want to make money out of a Gears of War,
Microsoft is not the franchise holder of Gears of War. Epic Games is the sole owner of Gears of War.
but then why not just have PCF divert all of these resources into an (appropriately priced) expansion pack for Gears 3?
Developing games cost money and I can guarantee you that GearsJ will sell a lot more as a full retail game than as a DLC.

If anything, we're just going to see an increase in franchise fatigue, poor reviews and weakened sales, all of which contribute to the launch of Gears 4, assuming it's ever made.

This is you guessing. Microsoft has never had a bigger install base for Xbox and you believe that their software sales will be impaired?

With this cycle of MS exclusive leaks, I think the cert/distribution process needs to be audited.
This is bad for business. Spoiler trolls will be out in force again.

Kinyou

What a boring game to leak, a prequel to a series where they aren't even covering a more interesting time in the game's universe.

Let me guess, Baird and Cole fight locust, soldiers die, and Baird/Cole become brotherly in the process.
Man, I'd clap if the game ends with them kissing each other.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
This is you guessing. Microsoft has never had a bigger install base for Xbox and you believe that their software sales will be impaired?

Well you could look at other franchises this late in the generation. Dead Space 3, COD, Halo, etc. At some point people are saturated by games and just don't care anymore, it is just more of the same.

JimiNutz

Banned
The lack of hype surrounding this game is disturbing. I like Gears but I'm not sure I will bother with Judgment.

I was just thinking that today. The game is out in a months time and I've seen barely any discussion on GAF, no advertising/trailers, nothing.

Is the game still being published by MS?

-PXG-

I wasn't even buying this game for the mp anyway. I'm getting it for the campaign and because I'm a fan of the series. But only four maps is a disgrace.

Oh, I started playing Gears 3 again. I decided to ignore my obnoxiously huge backlog and return home. It feels so good to come back and effortlessly tear people up. I miss the Gears 1 GAF crew.

I have to go pick up MGR tonight, but I might say screw it and play Gears instead. I'm off tomorrow, meaning I'm gonna be on Live all day until the PS4 event.

Gears brethren... y'all know how to reach me.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Read about the leak last night as well, but it's to be expected since every huge title is finished so early in advance of its street date, and all it takes is one early copy to be snagged out of the factory to spread across the net.

The reason I'm guessing why there hasn't been too much media about the game yet is because they were that busy getting it out, and now that there's a month left, they're going to start on it. It's a side-story-level title though, so I don't know how hard they're gonna push it.

Not too happy about the number of maps according to the leak either.

trailer is out..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MPEgMimKko&feature=player_embedded

it´s a multiplayer trailer.. THAT only launched because of the leaks..

It'd be great if people didn't talk out of their ass so much - not only was it tweeted yesterday morning that a video would be out today, but you think that they just knocked this up and put it out JUST because the game leaked? Jeez man.

So, people, if you buy the game, especially before its offical release, FUCKING GET THE RECEIPT.

Do I sound like I think some people are stupid? Well, they are. Remember, Microsoft bans first and ask later.

Although I'm not sure they'll go ban crazy with this, but better safe than sorry.

It isn't going to come early because that would mean that all the ad space they have bought for a particular date would disappear and they would have to buy new space.

Hanmik

Read about the leak last night as well, but it's to be expected since every huge title is finished so early in advance of its street date, and all it takes is one early copy to be snagged out of the factory to spread across the net.

The reason I'm guessing why there hasn't been too much media about the game yet is because they were that busy getting it out, and now that there's a month left, they're going to start on it. It's a side-story-level title though, so I don't know how hard they're gonna push it.

Not too happy about the number of maps according to the leak either.

It'd be great if people didn't talk out of their ass so much - not only was it tweeted yesterday morning that a video would be out today, but you think that they just knocked this up and put it out JUST because the game leaked? Jeez man.

Lol.. Just reposted eurogamer news..

http://www.edc.dk/en/Sag/?Pid=70701...b-7e7fc92c3dfc&type=List&SearchFromDivision=1

DocSeuss

I bet MS haven't even picked the inappropriate song to match with the trailer yet.

When has Microsoft picked an inappropriate music for Gears trailers?

They've always been anti-war songs, which is appropriate for the franchise's narrative.

Top Bottom