• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 8•04-06•17 - Man in Black kidnaps #1, Dun' not done son, Woman nears $400m DOM

xaosslug

a34vW3f.jpg
y1rQ12R.jpg
YxuupGc.jpg
hKSmlsY.jpg
5QzRbel.jpg

tomatometer:
XsJrh.gif
18% The Dark Tower
9wcOG.gif
93% Dunkirk
8mB0Q.gif
07% The Emoji Movie
8vteV.gif
87% Girls Trip
5f4ew.gif
40% Kidnap (2017)

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Dark Tower' Leads Slow Weekend With $19.5 Million, ‘Detroit' Stumbles

As the dog days of summer drag on, a trio of wide releases are kicking off the August box office with a whimper.

The weekend's leader is ”The Dark Tower." Sony and MRC's long-time-coming Stephen King adaptation starring Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey is landing on a modest $19.5 million from 3,451 locations. Made for about $66 million counting reshoots, the story centers on a boy (played by Tom Taylor) who discovers another dimension where he aligns himself with a Gunslinger (Elba) on a mission to save the world from various enemies, including the Man in Black (McConaughey). Critics mostly panned the movie, leading to its current 18% on Rotten Tomatoes.

”It was an ambitious undertaking, but it was made at the right price," said Sony's domestic distribution chief Adrian Smith. ”There's a lot of summer left," he added.

Meanwhile, Annapurna's ”Detroit" is not faring as well as expected. Kathryn Bigelow and Mark Boal's latest collaboration should end up with $7.3 million from 3,007 locations this weekend. Combined with a week of limited release grosses, its total should stand at $7.8 million. Critics are on board, earning the tale of the Motor City's 1967 riots a 88% on Rotten Tomatoes. The audience, too, has responded positively — the distributor saw strong exit polls, including over 60% marking definite recommend. The movie is toplined by ”Star Wars" breakout John Boyega, as well as Will Poulter, and Algee Smith.

”We wish more people would have showed, but when you look at the movie, we're proud of the film, and we stand behind the message of the film," said Annapurna's distribution head Erik Lomis. ”I don't think it's just measured by performance only," he added, ”I think it's longevity."

That leaves ”Kidnap" — from David Dinerstein's recently-launched Aviron, and Lotus — which is racing to $10.2 million from 2,378 locations. The movie stars Halle Berry as a mother attempting to rescue her son after he is taken. Aviron acquired the film from a bankrupt Relativity, but the distributor declined to release the thriller's acquisition cost, making it difficult to judge its performance.

”Dunkirk," the box office winner the past two weekends, is sliding comfortably into second with $17.6 million from 4,014 locations. That's only a 34% drop from last weekend. Christopher Nolan's World War II movie crossed the $300 million mark on Saturday, and by the end of the weekend should tally a $133.6 million domestic total. This weekend it looks to make about $4 million from Imax screens alone, which will count for $29.8 million of the movie's domestic grosses. Worldwide the cumes stand at $7.5 million this weekend, and $54 million overall. Warner Bros. also continues to see profits from ”Wonder Woman," which will land right up against the $400 million domestic milestone by the end of this weekend.

Sony's ”Emoji Movie" looks to take in $12.35 million this weekend from 4,075 locations, down 50% from last weekend for a domestic total of $49.45 million so far. That's not a bad drop for a movie that hasn't particularly pleased critics or audiences (7% on Rotten Tomatoes, B CinemaScore). The same studio's ”Spider-Man: Homecoming" is closing in on $300 million domestically after earning $8.8 million this weekend from 3,116 locations — its current total after five weeks in theaters should be $294.9 million

”Girls Trip" continues to hang in the top five as Universal expects $11.4 million this weekend from 2,582 locations. The summer comedy's North American total after three weekend looks to hit $85.4 million. Charlize Theron's action-packed ”Atomic Blonde" is slipping to seventh place as it expects to kick in $8.2 million from 3,326 spots.

In limited release, TWC's ”Wind River" should make $164,167 from four locations. The film stars Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen, and marks Taylor Sheridan's directorial debut. Sheridan conceived the movie as part of a loose trilogy that also includes two recent releases that he wrote, but did not direct, ”Sicario" and ”Hell or High Water."

All this on the calendar spot that last year's ”Suicide Squad" bucked conventional release date wisdom with a record-breaking $133.7 million domestic opening. This summer has lagged overall due to a number of big-budget movies flopping or underperforming, and this latest showing will only put the business farther behind.

more to come...

Nhem96c.png

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Bronx-Man

Banned
Well, summer movie season is officially over. I'll see you cats in October when Blade Runner 2049 opens to 96% RT and $60 million opening weekend domestic.

kswiston

Worldwide updates

Despicable Me 3 - $879M (now the top gross of the summer)
Wonder Woman - $794M
Pirates 5 - $781M
Spider-Man Homecoming - $671M
Transformers 5 - $583M
Dunkirk - $314M
Cars 3 - $286M
War for the Planet of the Apes - $278M
Baby Driver - $155M

Also from the last thread, Wolf Warrior 2 has now grossed $469M in China after a second weekend of $162M (giving it the largest second weekend in a single territory). Domestically the film has made $1M in two weekends.

zsynqx

Happy that Baby Driver ended up doing so well. Everyone seemed sure it would bomb prior to release.

Woo for Dunkirk as well, keep letting Nolan do his thing.

So:

IT's opening weekend floor is probably $60 mil. It's very likely to break the September records for opening weekend, opening weekend for an R-rated movie, and PROBABLY overall domestic gross for a September movie.

Question is by how much.

Movie's gonna be a monster, I think.

Worldwide updates

Despicable Me 3 - $879M (now the top gross of the summer)
Wonder Woman - $794M
Pirates 5 - $781M
Spider-Man Homecoming - $671M
Transformers 5 - $583M
Dunkirk - $314M
Cars 3 - $286M
War for the Planet of the Apes - $278M

Also from the last thread, Wolf Warrior 2 has now grossed $469M in China after a second weekend of $162M (giving it the largest second weekend in a single territory). Domestically the film has made $1M in two weekends.

Holy shit, will War even manage to make half of what Dawn did?

Movie was uncompromising. Really good, but not the kind of movie you tell your friends to go and watch. It's a more solemn experience.

So:

IT's opening weekend floor is probably $60 mil. It's very likely to break the September records for opening weekend, opening weekend for an R-rated movie, and PROBABLY overall domestic gross for a September movie.

Question is by how much.

Movie's gonna be a monster, I think.

If it isn't, I'll be sure to clown you about it.

Bobby and BGE are saying that IT will do gangbusters, this assures that it will leave a crater in the Earth so deep that it's transcontinental

Great numbers for Girl Trip. Sucks for War especially after the way Dawn did.

Homecoming doing good since it hasn't come out in China or Japan yet.

I was definitely off about Wonder Woman and it's great it's done so well. I expected $675 million overall and it managed to get close to $800 million.

kswiston

Baby Driver has now made more than the rest of Edgar Wright's filmography combined domestically. It is also getting close to doubling Hot Fuzz worldwide, which was his previous best.

Spider-man Homecoming is $2.5M behind Suicide Squad after the same 31 days. Spider-Man will lose some ground tomorrow, since this weekend was Suicide Squad's Labor Day weekend, but it should make that up again during the tues-thurs dailies.

$325M+ domestic is looking good for Spidey. Especially since August is going to be a week month at the box office.

Enk

makes good threads.
The Problem with War is that it looks like more Dawn.

That was my initial expectation before I saw the film (and I absolutely loved Dawn). Managed to stay away from a lot of plot details so it was to my surprise that the film was actually an
epic revenge flick
. Still wished it did a little better, but I'm satisfied that we got three good films out of it.

kswiston

Detroit is the 23rd worst opening for a film debuting in 3k+ venues. I guess Annapurna's aggressive release didn't really pay off in this instance.

Top Bottom