• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Did you really find the gunplay to feel anything but flat? Be honest.
The gunplay is probably the weakest thing in HL2, but it's fine. Shotgun and magnum feel great. Rocket launcher is fun to use against dropships and stalkers. Crowbar is godly against boxes.

The problem is more the fairly disappointing AI and encounter design than anything else, but they got better at the latter with the Episodes.

So, electronic sounding music should fit them better.

FRIDGE BRILLIANCE!

EDIT the Covenant are the "monks" in Halo theme chant! Halos music is the Covenant's music!
And Halo 4's music is made by the Prometheans!

EDIT doesn't apply to ODST and Reach really... I assume those musics are their location's musics, Mombasans preferring jazz and rock, and Reachians preferring.... well, whatever Reach's music is.

Dude, like, whoa...

niZZ2.jpg

Serious...awesome theory. Deserved an awesome JayPeg

I dunno a lot of movies don't hold up particularly well, where as I can go back and play Super Mario Bros or World and it's still boss.

Sure, but there's still hundreds and hundreds of movies from even before the 1960s that are great, beautiful, entertaining, illuminating, or at least very watchable. Where I think that 90% of the games from the PSX-N64-Saturn era are archaic, ugly-as-hell relics from a bygone age.

I think because games are so technology driven, and nothing ages worse then technology. A great movie or a great novel is great for centuries, but so many "great" games from back in the day like Ram mentioned PSO or N64's blocky, low-framerate Perfect Dark seem pretty LOL nowadays, and that was only 10 or so years ago!

I was thinking how young the video game medium is. In 20, 30 years, Halo 4 will be retro. We're gonna be those old guys talking about how the series has been downhill ever since Halo 7. I mean, there's some kids right now who think HALO was the first FPS game. Some kids who have no idea who the fuck Tony Hawk is and why a certain generation get hype when they hear "Superman". At this rate, Mega Man will be a trivia question for video game quizes, when he used to be a gaming icon.

But it's like you said, time is the ultimate test for classics. That's why SMB3 is still revered, and sooooo many other "great" NES games are left collecting dust.

Overdoziz

Banned
Half-Life 1, 2, and the episodes are some of the best singleplayer campaigns out there...
...for one playthrough. There's practically no replay value. Every time I try to replay any of them I get bored halfway through the first or second level.

Someone just had a fantastic time in Audiosurf. Just sayin'.
I heard it was pretty damn fun.

Figures that a bunch of sweaty Halo dorks wouldn't like one of the best single-player FPS of all time (trumped only by Half-Life 1).
Oh I agree, but I'm really not sure what reaction you were expecting.

Trickster

Half-life 2 was a great game, that received much attention from it's physics which were ahead of the curve. I wonder what people would have thought of the game if it didn't have those physics that blew most peoples mind at the time.

Personally I thought the combat was kinda outdated, felt like playing hl1 in hd.
The enviroments also left a sour taste in my mouth. After playing through the exciting areas in hl1, it was pretty anticlimatic to play through old buildings and desolate looking landscapes.

Still looking forward to HL3 immensely though, as long as they stop using that extremely outdated source engine.

I was joking, but I'm not really sure we should be comparing Bungie's development and production schedule to 343's. Different studio, somewhat of a different vision. Given the correct production schedule from the beginning on executing their vision and use their resources properly, I don't see a reason why 343 couldn't deliver a 15 mission 12 hour game instead of Bungie's 10 mission 8 hour games.

HOPE!
I wasn't trying to compare the two studios' production schedules. I was trying to say the following: "I'm expecting this because of this." Based on Bungie's output, I'm expecting an eight-ten hour, ten level campaign. I wasn't meaning to imply that 343 can't do more, or say that because Bungie couldn't do more 343 can't, only that based on prior Halo campaign lengths, I'm expecting the same amount. I, too, see no reason why, from an outsider's limited perspective, 343 can't put out a good 15 missions, 12 hour campaign, but I'm expecting eight to ten hours with ten levels nonetheless.

Sorry for not being succinct enough, or being to wordy, about my main point. :/
Yeah, that seems likely.
Hoo boy. I highlighted Wu's quote that you had in your post, and after I had done so, realized it was about the potential spoilers from the names of the Halo soundtrack. Thankfully it was out of context, so I dodged a bullet there.

I guess I gotta be more careful with spoilers in this thread from here on out. Though I think it would benefit everyone, if not now then closer to release, that we avoid posts like this:
Bulletin

At least what I think it will be :)
I didn't know what was in this box. Is it a spoiler? Is he joking? Should I highlight it?
Figures that a bunch of sweaty Halo dorks wouldn't like one of the best single-player FPS of all time (trumped only by Half-Life 1).
I haven't played Half-Life 1, but from a gameplay standpoint, I think Episode 2 easily outclasses Half-Life 2. Episode 2 adopted very Halo-like encounters, and that made the game all the more fun. You don't see fights like the one in the abandoned house in "Under the Shotgun" or in the grassy fields outside the resistance outpost in "Freeman Pontifex" in Half-Life 2.

Woorloog

Banned
Still looking forward to HL3 immensely though, as long as they stop using that extremely outdated source engine.

Isn't Source 2 in-development?

But maybe we should stick to Halo discussion... It seems our community has quite varied interests.

EDIT wasn't there some fan-made Half-Life/Halo crossover vid, comic or something (not fanfic)? Might be misremembering. Or not. Crossovers are common amongts fans...

I haven't played Half-Life 1, but from a gameplay standpoint, I think Episode 2 easily outclasses Half-Life 2. Episode 2 adopted very Halo-like encounters, and that made the game all the more fun. You don't see fights like the one in the abandoned house in "Under the Shotgun" or in the grassy fields outside the resistance outpost in "Freeman Pontifex."
Sure, but wasn't he talking about GotYs?

Just answering an honest question honestly
http://i.minus.com/iwaMImRQMMqRU.png[img][/QUOTE]
I was tempted to post "Shake Bait?" after seeing Stalker's reaction, but decided to let it play out.

Kuroyume

Banned
Giving multiplayer centric titles like Halo GOTY is tricky because it takes a while to see if the game is good or not. Halo Reach was great when it came out. 5-6 months later? We all realized how terrible it was. Same for H3.

Halo hasn't had a really good campaign in more than a decade so there's no point in bringing that up.

aPK

Neo Member
Has there been any indication that Halo 4 will have settings that dictate predetermined/preset loadouts, akin to Reach?

Woorloog

Banned
Has there been any indication that Halo 4 will have settings that allow there to be predetermined/preset loadouts, akin to Reach?

Yes, such things will be supported in custom games. All MM maps will have at least one pre-made loadout too, IIRC.

EDIT and this was my 5000th post. Should've posted something odd.

EDIT vv 2? Nice. I guess. Aren't those map-specific as well?

Sure, but wasn't he talking about GotYs?
The post seemed to me a mixture of comparing the quality of Half-Life games to others (GotY) and Half-Life games to other Half-Life games (HL1 being the best of the series). I was strictly commenting on the latter. If it was only about GotYs, I was mistaken.

Speaking of GotY, specifically NeoGAF's, I agree with the sentiment that Halo 4 has a real shot at it. However, and this is the sad part, if Halo 4 does get GAF's GotY, I think the reason for the award will have to do with no big hitters from Sony or Nintendo coming out this year as much as it will the game's quality. But you could argue that circumstantial releases are a big reason for any game getting GotY. If a Halo game gets GAF's GotY, I want it to be because everyone loved it.

I wasn't trying to compare the two studios' production schedules. I was trying to say the following: "I'm expecting this because of this." Based on Bungie's output, I'm expecting an eight-ten hour, ten level campaign. I wasn't meaning to imply that 343 can't do more, or say that because Bungie couldn't do more 343 can't, only that based on prior Halo campaign lengths, I'm expecting the same amount. I, too, see no reason why, from an outsider's limited perspective, 343 can't put out a good 15 missions, 12 hour campaign, but I'm expecting eight to ten hours with ten levels nonetheless.

Sorry for not being succinct enough, or being to wordy, about my main point. :/

I see, we're on the same page then.

Oh
Hey
HaloGAF

Going to PAX.

Are you comparing me to a zoojoo?

No. When you said that you had the most post juice joked that someone had to take zoojoos place. Just a joke. I then said that zoojoo and I were accepted one year apart. I've been here a year and two months or so. Zoojoo has only been here about two months. In that two month span he accumulated more posts than I did in one year.

Vire

The post seemed to me a mixture of comparing the quality of Half-Life games to others (GotY) and Half-Life games to other Half-Life games (HL1 being the best of the series). I was strictly commenting on the latter. If it was only about GotYs, I was mistaken.

Speaking of GotY, specifically NeoGAF's, I agree with the sentiment that Halo 4 has a real shot at it. However, and this is the sad part, if Halo 4 does get GAF's GotY, I think the reason for the award will have to do with no big hitters from Sony or Nintendo coming out this year as much as it will the game's quality. But you could argue that circumstantial releases are a big reason for any game getting GotY. If a Halo game gets GAF's GotY, I want it to be because everyone loved it.
Did you see the E3 Awards thread I did? Expect many bitter people come GOTY time..

Woorloog

Banned
No. When you said that you had the most post juice joked that someone had to take zoojoos place. Just a joke. I then said that zoojoo and I were accepted one year apart. I've been here a year and two months or so. Zoojoo has only been here about two months. In that two month span he accumulated more posts than I did in one year.

You were comparing me to zoojoo. As a joke. Don't deny it!

Seriously, i see what you mean. Zoojoo's candle burned twice as fast as others.. and went out with a bang.

Oh
Hey
HaloGAF

Going to PAX.

Nice!

So, my offer is back in the open. I am selling my PAX Passes (3 separate day passes for Friday-Sunday) for $25 a piece. I paid about $35 a piece for them, so I think it a fair price.

I at least want another HaloGaffer to be able to go, so if you're interested, shoot me a PM. :)

BigShow36

Apparently mouthbreathing PC fanboys seem to think that a basic physics system, which was terribly underused from an actual gameplay standpoint, allows everyone to ignore dull landscapes, boring environments, overly long driving sections with absolutely no purpose, simplistic AI encounters, and some of the most depressingly mundane combat this side of Redneck Rampage.

But Gravity Gun! AMIRITE?

Woorloog

Banned
Juices was. I was comparing myself to him. But yeah it was a joke. We wouldn't insult you like that.

You is also plural. EDIT not sure why i wrote that.
No offence taken. Didn't even think you were doing that.
We need a writing system that allows showing emotions etc. easily, without having to write them or having to use emoticons or such.

FyreWulff

Oh
Hey
HaloGAF

Going to PAX.

owskS.jpg

I didn't play it the year it came out - just on the Orange Box on 360 - but I was very underwhelmed.

I played and beat it on the original Xbox (I wonder how many people actually remember that version). It's not the greatest game, but i guess it was at least better than Half Life 1. It suffers a lot less from being disjointed like HL1, but isn't a very coherent experience and has a loooot of dead time between the memorable setpieces.

I didn't play it the year it came out - just on the Orange Box on 360 - but I was very underwhelmed.

That's the thing. *When it came out* it was an extremely well done game with awesome physics, some quite memorable encounters, (IMO) an interesting extension of the existing story line, etc. *That year* it was quite an achievement for PC shooters. It may not have required the highest end machine to run well, but it was almost guaranteed to run very slick and look fairly nice on almost anything. Valve's decision to focus on quality instead of OMFG graphixxxxxxxxx you gais!!! is part of its success as I see it.

Risen

Apparently mouthbreathing PC fanboys seem to think that a basic physics system, which was terribly underused from an actual gameplay standpoint, allows everyone to ignore dull landscapes, boring environments, overly long driving sections with absolutely no purpose, simplistic AI encounters, and some of the most depressingly mundane combat this side of Redneck Rampage.

lololol so much this

TheOddOne

Shut the fuck up, Redneck Rampage is a goddamn masterpiece.

Let's see...ZooJoo had 40-something posts in this OT before being banned in like 2 days. I highly doubt I'll even come close to that before this OT is through.

So yeah, halo. Anyone on right now?

Holiday

Banned
Hahaha I talked to him about it at the start of the summer and he told me he'd consider it and bring it up at a meeting or whatever. He told me to check back with him, but I forgot to.

Shit.

Just tell him that Zanno said it was okay for you to come back.

Let's see...ZooJoo had 40-something posts in this OT before being banned in like 2 days. I highly doubt I'll even come close to that before this OT is through.

So yeah, halo. Anyone on right now?

zoojoo = zoso

Dont think we dont notice this shit. Practically the same name, you weren't even clever when making your alt!

Sai-kun

Banned

ak710.gif

My Xbox 360 disc drive keeps getting stuck. I have to put a butter knife in that sumbitch to get it open nowadays

The sooner Halo 4 comes out and I never have to swap discs again, the better

Nice!

So, my offer is back in the open. I am selling my PAX Passes (3 separate day passes for Friday-Sunday) for $25 a piece. I paid about $35 a piece for them, so I think it a fair price.

I at least want another HaloGaffer to be able to go, so if you're interested, shoot me a PM. :)
I'd love to, but that >$600 flight :(

I like Half-Life 2 and it's episodes more than any Halo game. And I'm certainly no PC fanboy, I had never played a Half-Life game until The Orange Box.

GhaleonEB

That's the thing. *When it came out* it was an extremely well done game with awesome physics, some quite memorable encounters, (IMO) an interesting extension of the existing story line, etc. *That year* it was quite an achievement for PC shooters. It may not have required the highest end machine to run well, but it was almost guaranteed to run very slick and look fairly nice on almost anything. Valve's decision to focus on quality instead of OMFG graphixxxxxxxxx you gais!!! is part of its success as I see it.

But it still would have had poor gunplay, poor AI, momentum-halting physics puzzles and driving/boating sequences with poor controls that went on about 4x longer than they should have. I can recall about four memorable encounters in the entire game.

Those are the kinds of things that shouldn't age.

FyreWulff

I remember a game that had real time physics, awesome AI, and a driving sequence that was awesome.

It was called Halo
and also Perfect Dark

Top Bottom