• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG | News and Updates 2017 - Back to the basics

Tizoc

Battle Chasers: Nightwar will be released on GOG.com-
https://www.gog.com/game/battle_chasers_nightwar
VUK0oFa.png

Tizoc

MORE DRM-free goodness:
The Silver Case is releasing on GOG as well
https://www.gog.com/game/the_silver_case

This is one of Suda51's first games and is a Visual Novel. Expect to see his usual weirdness here so def. get it if interested.

Oh and this one ACTUALLY counts as an 'old game' since it originaly released on the PSOne more than 15 years ago :p

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Battle Chasers now, too? I have to say, I'm impressed with some of the games GOG's gotten lately. Not the least of which was Aragami yesterday, which is a game that I wanted and actually was able to buy on day 1.

mclem

An odd little blast from the past appeared yesterday; Titus the Fox. There's a game I haven't thought about in, like, forever!

Of particular interest to me is the fact that it includes the original game, a licensed tie-in to a French comic, which was later rebranded around Titus for worldwide release.

Danny Dudekisser

So, with Crysis and Crysis Warhead now here, I think the only EA games I still need are Alice (the first one), Dead Space 2, and Crysis 2.

Edit: Oh, and some of the C&C stuff. But we're still close.

gabbo

So, with Crysis and Crysis Warhead now here, I think the only EA games I still need are Alice (the first one), Dead Space 2, and Crysis 2.

Edit: Oh, and some of the C&C stuff. But we're still close.

Modern games maybe, I'm sure there are older games EA could put on the service that aren't there yet

ShadowOwl

Crysis releases got me excited for a few minutes.

Then a thought "bleh, just 2007 graphics benchmarks". Couldn't get into the game back then as I didn't really like the Nanosuit. I dunno but something just felt not right when using it. Also, kinda strange that GOG is using the 2011 console release trailer on their site for Crysis.

Man, I'm totally starving for good old (pre 2002) game releases. It has been a while.

I guess that's just a matter of time. Really looking forward to Tachyon!

Same here.

I'd have it on Steam already, but I've always been concerned with whether it'd run. Steam overall really doesn't care about compatibility, with most older stuff being a buyer-beware kind of deal.

Coreda

Also, kinda strange that GOG is using the 2011 console release trailer on their site for Crysis.

According to one of the GOG staff it was the one provided to them by EA, but yeah odd especially considering it was built on a newer version of the engine.

I'd like to see Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light on GOG. Love that game. Would probably buy it again just to have a standalone version.

Btw @ Minsc the thread title could use an update, we're nearing 2017 :p

How come they never care about compatibility?
There's no requirement that Steam titles run on modern OSes, so for older games released on the store you can see a slew of compatibility issues. It's generally fixable, but some games require very arcane solutions or are outright broken.

As to why this is the case, it's a matter of expectations. I figure there's a certain leeway given to older games and compatibility, so the hoops needing to be jumped over become acceptable. Like, that you can get them working at all is a marvel of the PC.

Although as I've been typing this up I've realised that I have a few GOG games that don't work right now either. Like, Neverwinter Nights is, for whatever reason, downright broken if you use an HDMI cable. I should probably check if there's a new installer or something since it's been pretty untouched since I had Windows 8 when it last worked (now on Windows 10).

I know Outlaws was giving me headaches when I last tried running the copy I purchased off GOG, so it's not 100% guaranteed with them, either.

Purchases of old games there are, however, a lot more likely to work correctly, compared to Steam.

Persona7

Banned
GOG goes out of the way to fix compatibility but the result isn't always good.

someone should PM a mod to change it to 2017 lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hmmmm, nothing for me. Mostly because I have most of what I want. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is tempting but it's more of a co-op thing and I don't know anyone who would want to have a go at it.

Everyone who likes 2D platformers should get Freedom Planet. Absolutely unmissable at this price. I've consistently been surprised and re-surprised how every time I mention it someone who likes platformers hadn't heard of it. Must be a legit sleeper. Sad.

I'm annoyed that they "Did the WB thing" with Witcher 3 making a GOTY edition, not giving an upgrade option, and not putting the Season Pass on sale, so people who waited on the whole game get a better deal than those who bought the base game then waited on DLC.

Coreda

A concern for GOG is there is no equivalent community creation hosting to Steam Workshop.

I just bought Deadbolt on GOG before noticing there is a large-ish Steam Workshop presence with hundreds of extra community-created levels. With no way to manually download any of them (the sites that use the Steam API to try and extract the download link fail due to various specifics) it reduces the value of the GOG version.

The same for other games. Distance, an upcoming car racing game with some indie buzz, has over 1700 levels on Workshop that aren't available on either the standalone version or PS4 version. Workshop has created a closed ecosystem. Obviously great for Steam but it means customers of other versions miss out on the considerable additional content and value.

Add to that the Steam sales that frequently see the same games discounted more heavily during sales/bundles/promotions and GOG customers regularly end up paying more for less.

A concern for GOG is there is no equivalent community creation hosting to Steam Workshop.

I just bought Deadbolt on GOG before noticing there is a large-ish Steam Workshop presence with hundreds of extra community-created levels. With no way to manually download any of them (the sites that use the Steam API to try and extract the download link fail due to various specifics) it reduces the value of the GOG version.

The same for other games. Distance, an upcoming car racing game with some indie buzz, has over 1700 levels on Workshop that aren't available on either the standalone version or PS4 version. Workshop has created a closed ecosystem. Obviously great for Steam but it means customers of other versions miss out on the considerable additional content and value.

Add to that the Steam sales that frequently see the same games discounted more heavily during sales/bundles/promotions and GOG customers regularly end up paying more for less.
Yea I am not a fan of anything being closed since this is PC. Maybe gog will get their equivalent of the workshop with galaxy.

Tizoc

Do you like PC RPGs? Then you should def. get Xanadu Next; it is as PC RPG as PC RPGs can get. It's even Durante approved!

header.jpg

https://www.gog.com/game/xanadu_next

Comparing the combat to Diablo is kind of misleading; the game is generally played from isometric view and you move around with the mouse or controller, press one (mouse) button to attack normally and the other button to cast a magical spell or ability if you have it equipped.

The game also features Legend of Zelda-like puzzles.

In addition various equipment actually offer meaningful defense stats such as increasing your resistance to Ice or Fire magic.

Weapons, abilities and other passives level up as you keep fighting enemies and you can max them out rather quickly, but even with the best equipment monsters and enemies can dispatch you quickly if you're not careful. I rather enjoyed my time maxing out my weapons and spells :p

The game's approach to weapons is also rather neat:
Say you have Weapon A and Weapon B.
Currently Weapon B gives you more attack power but once you get Weapon A to it's max level (which I repeat can be done rather quickly if you CHOOSE to do so), it'll offer MORE atk power than Weapon B!
Of course you can make Weapon B give more atk power itself by constantly using it but there is a good use to keeping a weapon you had bought aside from getting its unique skill or ability.

That's not to say anything of the soundtrack: Falcom have always been among the best developers to produce music for their games-

Xanadu Next intro: https://youtu.be/BCqAUakvKpA?t=100
Town of Harlech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji1WuN3e78U
Eternal Maze: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmm3cwFeUbI

Really if you have any appreciation for PC RPGs def. give this game a chance and explore one of Falcom's hidden gems.

Danny Dudekisser

Daaanng, GOG got Inside. Was really thinking it wouldn't get a DRM-free release anytime soon, seeing as how the Steam version was loaded up with Denuvo. Glad I didn't buy it until now.

Tizoc

Darksiders Warmastered releases today on PC/Steam.
Steam owners get it free, but have they said anything regarding the GOG ver.?

Linkark07

Banned
And Winter Sale, along with free Neverwinter Nights.

Dammit GOG, I want to take a breath, not empty more my bank account.

And the free games this round are:

Shadow Warrior Classic
Shadowrun Hong Kong
Stasis

Dice

I do want Stasis but already have the first two. I also already have Neverwinter Nights Diamond.

So the key to saving money is already owning nearly everything good. -_^

Is there a way to play Neverwinter Nights on W10 without weird graphics issues? As I understand it, the issue is that HDMI output screws up the graphics; so it's sort of blurry, with a resolution too large for the monitor.

Dice

I've got all the free games already, so when I inevitably get the codes, I'll give those away on here.
You're a gentleman and a scholar.

I'll keep my NWN code around for afterwards in case anyone had trouble claiming one.

Dsyndrome

Anyone else getting free broken sword OST notifications for the games from the franchise they own? Never had GOG send emails for added content to existing subs in the past.

Top Bottom